Get Timers Now!
X

Apr 26 - 04:11:26
Page:  1 2 [ > - >>> ]
All Roads Lead To Started by: Valentina on Apr 09, '21 02:51
Valentina had a little pep in her step as she strolled down a fairly busy sidewalk in South Philly. It wasn't the peak of activity, a bit early for the soon-to-come evening rush, but there were enough people to not stand out. Valentina was almost warm enough in a long tan coat, but only almost. She had on a white button-up blouse, a high-waisted black skirt that went mid-calf, and pointy-toed kitten heels. Somewhere between formal and girlish, ultimately easy to miss, as she preferred.

So few days went so well. It had first been a spate of bad luck, then overall a downward trend, and it ultimately settled as the new normal. Valentina's baseline had simply dropped. Lately, a half-decent payday was noteworthy. Petty victories were regrettably becoming her bread and butter. The risks she would take were not as great as they had been. Regression, it turned out, was a slow thing. Like a frog submerged in slowly warming water, she hadn't been noticing the approaching boiling point.

Valentina wouldn't feel so accomplished for her latest haul--for the assorted jewelry burning a hole in her pocket, after the tense minutes spent cracking a safe--if she had been paying more attention. If she were aware of the frog's temperature rising, the oven she'd ditched her frying pan for, or rather her own slow decline. There was something to be said about being grateful for the little things, but sometimes it was really a little sad.

She tugged her freezing hands further into her sleeves with a small sigh. It wasn't that much colder here in Philadelphia than in Los Angeles, but for some reason she kept acting like it. Her lightweight cloche hat did little to warm her head.

The fence she was meeting was supposed to show up ten minutes ago. Chilly, windy weather might have been reason enough. Maybe.

Drifting aimlessly past store windows, she did pause here and there to stare up at elaborate displays. Ooh, she hoped the fence did show after all. Usable cash could buy her something nice... but those ten minutes had bled to nearly twenty. The sensible thing would be to call it soon. There were more ways things could go than a simple no-show, after all. Still, she waited a little longer.
Report Post Tips: 29 / Total: $580,000 Tip
Heading home from a late lunch. Nicholas was driving down the street in the ole' Airstream with the chilly early evening air creeping through the cracked drivers side window. When out of the corner of his eye a woman standing on the sidewalk caught his attention. Passing by her, he begins to realize why the woman stood out just so vividly to him. That's the unmistakably beautiful Valentina. Someone he'd grown extremely close to since her recent move from L.A. He quickly pulls a u-turn and stops curbside the lady, stretching the length of his body across the two-door convertible and swinging the passenger side door open.

"Hey, Valentina! It's me, Grimwood! Come over here! Its too chilly to be standing about on the sidewalk!"
Report Post Tips: 4 / Total: $80,000 Tip
Valentina about tripped over her whole one-inch heels. She was a paranoid sneaky type, with all number of pseudonyms, and a shouted Valentina! was not what she had been waiting for. Admittedly, it was a Valerie, because she wasn't the most creative. She held her hand up to shield her face from sunlight that was not blinding in the slightest, as if it was hard for her to see, and also to hide her features some. Who, her? Who would be--ah. Yes. She let her hand drop. That one.

Why would one risk their reputation, and in this world their life, leaving what they had started to build like a snake shedding its skin? She would. For that guy. That scarred-up man right there. And yet, they had kept to fairly separate tracks so far. Though the two of them were now, miraculously, based out of the same city, old habits died hard. She was used to doing her own thing.

She was, as one would say, at work. She was a working woman. Busy. Busy waiting for a no-show. Valentina watched him open the passenger door--the presumption!--and smiled through gritted teeth. She could sell the jewels another day, she supposed. She wished he had shown up thirty minutes from now, when maybe--optimism was something she never seemed to lose--the fence had finally shown up and she'd had a stack to hold her own with. Or a new hat. And she could brag properly, then. As it was, the job was only half done. Anyone who'd worked on a farm would know half-done was nowhere near done.

Some strides later, she slid into the car. Hey, at least it saved her the taxicab. She was nowhere near destitute, but again, old habits died hard. She alternated between extravagant spender and dirt-under-fingernails penny pincher. Crime had led her to some frankly superficial identity crises.

"Grimwood," she echoed him. So formal. She crossed one leg over the other, and stared out the windshield at a fixed point. Maybe they were just business buddies now. What a strange thought. She should probably tell him, one of these days, she didn't burn a single letter like she had once promised she did. "I think I got stood up today."
Report Post Tips: 3 / Total: $60,000 Tip
"Sorry for the abrupt greeting just there. Didn't know if ya' would notice it was me inside the car."

He had been thinking about her since the last event they had attended together and their past correspondence had always held a special place in his heart. Some of which was just to incriminating to be kept. He still held close a pocket watch she had given him during his short time in L.A, but now she was here, and he was dedicated to make the best of this new life for them.

"So you said you got stood up? Who were you waiting on?"

Whoever it was. They better have a good explanation.
Report Post Tip
"Don't worry about it, my dear Grimwood." Valentina flashed Nicholas a smile. Then, she was a blank slate, all business. "Today's work wasn't much, to be honest. A small hit on a small jeweler."

She pulls one of the satchels from her coat pocket, loosening the drawstring and opening it up to show some of her haul. What she got fit in her pockets fine, but there was some heft. Diamonds on heirloom rings, silver necklaces, a ruby in gold pendant, gold cufflinks, and even some loose gemstones in an envelope.

"I would be fine with it, if my fence had ever shown up." Her mouth twisted at one corner in a rueful half frown. "I don't have many contacts out this way. A guy who knew a guy, you know? A Glenn Miller." She blew out an irritated breath. A fake name for sure. She felt dumb for having said it out loud.
Report Post Tip
"That's actually a pretty decent haul, and it's always nice havin' someone good at a safe by my side. Wait, did you say Glenn Miller?" He chuckles through his nose.

Maybe shes referring to Danny Miller. Dumb ole' Danny diamonds. The guy had been running a small side hustle from a small corner store in South Philly for a little while, and had only been a pest untill recently. New word is, he's been actually pulling in some serious Lincoln's.

"Look, this guy Glenn. Is he medium build, balding on top and way too fond of turtle-neck sweaters??
Report Post Tip

Had wondered a bit where Valentina went missing when suddenly werent in our crew, glad nothing bad happened her and shouts to her when seeing here.

"Hey girlie, saw you change the warm weather at us and now are freezing, poor you, but hope all other things are ok and want to great you travel over to the east like you did"

Happy to located Valentina he fast runs to what he was about to do when spotting here and glad in his mood he ran into some of his old freinds and goes for a good friend ship occcasion with those 2

Report Post Tip
Valentina adjusted the fit of her hat, unsure first how to answer the praise, then how to admit that she hadn't questioned the name shared with a famous musician. "Yes..." Then, she perked up at his follow up. Way too fond. Slowly, with cautiously clear enunciation, she said, "Yes, actually. That sounds about right."

Then someone was shouting at her. Reflex had her duck her head down, out of sight for a moment before she was peering just enough to see out the window. Her gaze landed on a familiar face. WhyBother! She sat up straight. Hurriedly, she rolled down her window, even though she was able to hear him well enough through the glass. "Heya!" She called back, after a moment's hesitation. She had been granted permission. It was why she was above ground, alive, breathing. But she did want to believe he was just happy to see her. "It was..." She faltered as he ran off. "Good to see you!"

She sat back, slanting a relieved look at Nicholas. "Small world," she offered.
Report Post Tip
"Small world indeed. You never know who's around the corner in this life.. We're gonna make sure "Glenn Miller" learns this first hand.

See the guy is about as dumb as they come and even more unlucky. His real name is Danny Miller. He once spent a bit up state for stealing some diamonds and trying to sell them to some undercover agents. The worst part is, turns out the diamonds were fake and the whole thing was a set up to begin with. Well he's been back for a bit and if he's advertising he's back in business, it must be goin' well. The thing is, nobody's seen any taxes. That's no good. At least not for Danny.

People talk, and I over heard in a bar awhile back he's been runnin' a front out of a convenience store. Maybe we stop by, pay a little visit. Make sure you keep that appointment."

Nicholas fires up the engine of the convertible and begins driving towards the store.

"Okay, so here's a little run down. The store is relatively small, so there shouldn't be many people. I doubt there'll be much loot up front unless we want some chips or smokes." He huffs a laugh through his nose. The good stuff'll probably be in a back room. I remember you saying you were handy at getting into locked spots. If there's any safes or the like, that'll be on you. I'm horrible with a lock. These mitts ain't worth a damn unless they're tickling a trigger. Speaking of, I'll be on crowd control.

First you'll go in. He's halfway expecting you but, the fact you just turned up when you were just supposed to meet him on the sidewalk will confuse him. This is good. We want him kinda off his game. But once you show him that haul, he'll lax off a bit. After he goes to grab the cash, give me a call and I'll pop in and surprise em'. That sound good to you?"
Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip
Glenn, Danny. Valerie was glad she was not the only one cheaping out with pseudonyms. She might have to reevaluate her style there. At least she always made sure to switch her last name, too. Merchant, Mercer, Marigold. Sure, they were all cousins to her true Merlo, but technically they were different.

No taxes, huh? She hadn't known. Valentina reflected on how she needed more connections out East. Besides Nick. It wouldn't do to be too reliant on him. Not in this business, with what they both had to lose. When feelings were in the mix, there was a thin line between partnership and liability. She'd jeopardized enough to be in his crew. She had to become an asset in her own right.

She listened intently as Nicholas began speaking again, pocketing the jewelry satchel once again. Loot up front? Her red lips twisted in a quick smirk. This was not precisely about keeping her appointment, was it? Guy hadn't been paying taxes. She did not like to turn on someone she had been trying to work with... but it wasn't like he was trying to work with her. Or for anyone. And that was a risk one took entirely on themselves.

"When it comes to things locked away, I've had some practice." She was no master, but her slip-ups had been getting fewer and farther inbetween. "So, yes, it sounds good to me."

Upon arrival, there was not much more for her to say. She gave Nicholas a quick peck on the cheek for luck, then stepped out of the car. The wind lost some of its power on her now that she was back on task, and not waiting aimlessly. It was not that cold after all. Or maybe it was those early stirrings of adrenaline. She was no grizzled veteran in this field, so her main goal was to steady her nerves and focus her thoughts.

She swung the convenience door open with a flourish, the pinned OPEN sign clattering against the glass as she did so. In a few sure strides she was at the register. Which... was unmanned.

"Hello?" She called, leaning forward to see higher, trying to peek behind some shelves. They could have both come in, and skipped a step. It was impossible to know ahead of time, though.

Here came the tax evading turtleneck afficianado himself. She stood back from the tip-toe.

"Glenn Miller," Valentina said, purely out of professional courtesy. "Did you forget about me?" Her voice sharpened at the end, almost genuinely offended. At her usual level of crime, it was hardly the most distinguished of individuals involved, but she was usually granted some manner of professionalism.

There was only the faint trace of surprise on the balding man's face. He shot a few furtive glances around, but the car was parked out of sight. No one to see. "I apologize," said Glenn--Danny Miller, "I couldn't leave my store unattended."

"Hmm." Valentina felt like he was halfway doing that anyway.

Miller's face was reddening. "Do you still have...?"

No, she was just here to brag about finding another jewelry fence down the street. "Yes," she said. She did not elaborate, and looked at him expectantly.

"Right, right. All right." The man rubbed at the back of his neck, nodding. His gaze skimmed past Valentina entirely for a moment, as if worried customers would bust in and ask what was going on. "I suppose I can--here. If you have it here."

Valentina nodded quizzically. He seemed... nervous. Valentina wanted to believe she was intimidating, but she knew better. "You have enough in the till?" She injected a high level of doubt in her voice. Perhaps she had a tremendous amount of jewelry, gemstones, and precious metals. Perhaps the full length of her coat had pockets sewn in, loaded with ill-gotten gains. Hers was a very meaningful expression.

"No, I wouldn't use--" Miller cleared his throat, and said, haltingly, "I'll be right back. Right back."

Valentina leaned again to see he was gone, rounding a corner into a connecting hallway or back room. She hot-footed it back to the door, flipping the sign from OPEN to CLOSED, hoping Grimwood would notice. Then, she walked the far wall of the convenience store, to double-check for herself there weren't any slow-deciding customers. Of which, there weren't.
Report Post Tip
"Okay good, you'll be on bag patrol. Don't worry, I'll come in with a sack so you don't have to walk in lookin' like Sant-y Claus. Be careful in there and don't forget, I'm right behind you."

Nicholas had always been on edge. Leg twitching, finger tapping and, the thing that drove Val craziest, he'd just rip his excess finger nail clean off.

Luckily that peck on the cheek had brought the anxiety down. Talking about a job had always been easier than actually pulling it off. Before things like this he would often recall on the war, it had taught him most of what he needed to know about these situations. This time he was on the border of the home-lands doing house sweeps. World War I had been hell. It was a small cottage, the front door literally hanging off the hinges. Entering the living quarters proved little but rats and dust untill a sudden thump put everyone on edge. Everyone quickly takes formation then scatters to search the domicile. Nicholas heading downstairs is immediately alerted to the flicker of firelight. With his Lewis Gun at the ready he peers around the corner, low and behold it's four men gathered around a small camp fire, can of food just beginning to warm. 

"Mani nell'aria!( Hands in the air! ) Nicholas begins to shout, his hands shake and his vision begins to narrow down the barrel of the gun. "Alza le tue fottute mani in aria! ( Get your fucking hands in the air! ) The room falls silent between the men, only the loud clatter of boots and conversation can be heard above. Gun fixed on the men, he quickly moves in attempting to check a mans coat on the ground when "BANG!" a shot ricochets inches away from Nicholas.
"CRACK!, CRACK!, CRACK!, CRACK!, CRACK!" the Lewis Gun let's off filling the room in puffs of smoke followed by dead silence, eventually covered by the sound of steady footsteps headed in the direction of gun fire. Once Nicholas's squad makes it down the stairs it's congratulations all around. Turns out a few of the men were spies. One was a local man. Turns out he was a kind man, probably trying to help some refugees down on their luck, or at least he thought. This incident had always hung heavy on his heart. Untill recently. See that's the thing about killing. As with everything in this world, it gets easier with time and experience.

Snapping himself from the thought he exists the car and heads to the back. He folds back the rumble seat and grabs the felt dress coat from the floor boards throwing it on then folds it closed. He unbuckles the latch to the mounted trunk and removes a burlap sack, double barreled sawn-off shotgun and his trusty Breda Hand Grenade. Frankly because he'd always thought it be better to leave the world with company than alone.

Quickly he heads a half block down the road an halfway past the convenience store untill he notices the sign on the front door reading "Closed" He slowly opens the door and slips in. "Val" he whispers and throws the burlap in her direction. "Which way he head?" She gives a quick point in his direction. Nicholas pulls the sawn-off from his trench and heads in his direction waving for Val to follow.

Walking through a curtain into a back room after Danny, opens to a whole new game.... Literally. Six men sit at a table stacked with chips, cards in hand.

"DROP THE CARDS, HANDS UP!" Nicholas shouts and raises his posture." Ole' Danny here doesn't have the the proper paperwork for a function of this type."
The men drop their cards and put their hands on the table. "Okay, see now, my friend Misses V, is gonna come around and gather up a bit of taxes here. Our buddy Danny doesn't know how to play by the rules. Sooo, if there's any problems, you can take them up with Danny after we're good and gone. Everybody stay still and calm, and that'll happen sooner than later. Val, if you will be so kind and start relieving these boys of their jewelry and finer items. Take a bit of the load off. And since this is a poker game I'm just gonna go ahead and assume the main pot is hold up somewhere. Point us in the right direction and things don't have to get harder than they already are.."
Report Post Tip

Valentina started to follow Nicholas. In one hand she held the burlap sack, while the other hand was in her coat's hip pocket, fingers wrapped around the grip of her Beretta M1915 pistol. It was her only real family keepsake; she'd nicked it from one of her older brothers' belongings. He had owed her money. It really was a wonder that her family wanted nothing to do with her.

Immediately on entering, she counted heads--six and Danny. So, it was like this. Two versus seven wasn't the best of odds... however much her beau's military training might compensate for her own lack of violent history. Guns were great equalizers, sure, but that--of course--went both ways. They had caught these gentlemen with their pants down, so to speak, at ease and not on guard. It was all about capitalizing on these first moments, setting the right tone, and getting this over with and getting out.

Robbing your would-be fence's side business still irked her a bit. Mostly, she was frustrated that Glenn/Danny Miller hadn't just bought her take today, it wasn't like there wasn't profit to be made of these things. If he'd only played ball, they wouldn't be here, and more importantly she'd be off shopping. Looking at clothes and not strangers that could shoot her as much as she might shoot them.

She adopted a very straight posture. In her pocket, she kept the gun pointed at an upward angle. The angle of her elbow made it obvious. The idea was that it was harder for one of these men to grab in her pocket than if it were extended out in front of her. Especially since she was playing greedy Santa Claus, filling up the sack. That meant proximity she usually avoided.

First, she went to the nearest man. While the shock of this could get relatively easier compliance from the first guy, she was figuring he'd be the first to act up, and she could steer the ship accordingly. 

To him, she simply held the sack out, hovering just out of arm's length. In each hand, she herself offered two options: tribute or gun. 

Strangely docile, the man offered up a clip of money. After Valentina looked pointedly at his watch, he even unclasped it and dropped it in the sack, too. He wasn't worried at all. It wasn't necessarily a good omen. He could be sure in his own fate for something Valentina didn't yet know...

The second man, the one with the most chips and the reflex to have put his cards facedown, glared death on her approach. He spat a choice word in Italian, but she didn't react. It was a knife edge, the way it could flip at any moment. She took his money.

The third man practically vibrated with anger like an engine turning. He offered nothing. It was better not to let him keep thinking and getting more riled up.

"Surely your life is worth more than this," she reasoned with him, overly friendly.

"My life is worth ten of yours, you worthless..." She tuned out the insults, flipping the second safety on her pistol back on. The little click silenced him. To say nothing of what Nicholas was carrying, just a few steps away. The burlap sack was weighted by more bills, as she slowly slid the safety back off as to not make a second sound.

The fourth man telegraphed a strong throw, so she braced and managed not to drop the burlap sack. The fifth and sixth each paid up without further incident.

She rounded the table, glad to have a barrier, and went to Danny Miller. "Where is that pool, then?" He would have prize money stashed somewhere, and the man was stock-still with nerves, and yet to answer Nick and now her. She shook the sack to shuffle the contents, feeling how much room it had. Plenty. She pulled the Beretta out, thinking of a drover dog, barking at a sheep's heels to keep it going onward. 

Miller took careful steps to a closet, with Valentina following.

"Open it," she instructed.

Inside was a glossy mahogany cabinet. Its shelves were bare, but not dusty. Things kept clean were things most used. A closed cupboard was down on the bottom of it. Miller pulled open the squeaky double doors to reveal a small safe.

"Okay boys, that's what I love to see. Now Danny, go ahead and open the safe for the la..."

Before Nicholas can finish his sentence the third man stands up and slams his fist on the table. "Danny you open that safe, and I'll kill you myself.." His face turns red and bits of spit fly from his mouth as he speaks. "You two are gonna fucking pay for this. Mark my words."

Nicholas turns the shotgun towards the man and cocks back both the hammers on the double-barrel bringing the room to silence for a moment. "There it is, the moment we've all been waiting for. It never fails. Someone always has to play the big guy. Usually I try and make that person me, but seeing as your tryin' your hardest to be loudest. Im just gonna go ahead and assume you think that's you...
But! What you're about to learn is this shotgun can bark at quiet the volume. Now sit back down in your chair, and shut the FUCK UP!" The man basically frothing at the mouth at this point slinks back into the wooden chair with a creak.

All of a sudden the strangely docile man shows his hand and leaps from his seat toppling the table and reveling a small caliber handgun he was able to conceal into the poker game. BANG, BANG! Shots ring from the gun as the two bullets drive themselves into Nicholas's left shoulder just below the collar-bone in a mist of blood. Nicholas quickly dives to the ground in what feels like slow-motion as he squeezes the first trigger of the shotgun. BOOM! The man slumps to the floor as the shotgun slug tears deep into his jaw shattering it in half and destroying part of his throat.

Quickly Nicholas turns the firearm back towards the third man, who at this point is almost to him. The man leaps on top of him and grabs for the gun in between. BOOM! A fountain of blood rises towards the ceiling as the ear splitting song of the shotgun rings out, barely muffled by the man on top of it.

Nicholas shoves the dead goon to the side, reaches into his suit coat and pulls one of his TT-33 service pistols he keeps in his shoulder holsters then takes a knee.
"VAL! IM GONNA NEED A HAND PLEASE!"

"He is not your immediate concern," Valentina told Danny Miller, who was hesitating before the safe in the hallway closet. The yelling in the main back room was getting to him. "Think now of the lead in my hand. Worry only about that."

She, of course, had her pistol aimed squarely at Danny Miller. She had taken shooting lessons, when she had both the time and money. The advice she was given was to aim for the mass of a body rather than the smaller target that was a head. While she didn't have tremendous surety in her aim, she had practiced enough in controlled settings. Still targets were a safe bet.

With the faltering movements of a spooked horse, Danny Miller began twisting the safe's dial. After the third number, the safe failed to open with a loud thunk of its still-locked handle in Miller's white-knuckled grip. 

"Try again," she said. Whether he was stalling for time or incompetent with nerves, she couldn't say.

Gunshots rang out from the back room. Valentina damn near pulled the trigger at the shock of it.

"Turn around," she demanded in the harshest of whispers. The man started blubbering, of which she understood zero words. She heard nothing in the wake of that last boom-crack, holding on the shred of hope that it was one of Nick's. "Turn around," she repeated, "hands behind you, and you live." For the moment. If Nicholas... she would make no promises.

She pulled the fabric belt from around her coat waist, clumsily unfastening it with her one free hand. The belt was stubborn to pull out from the loops. At that moment was when Nick called out to her. Valentina could have choked on her relief. But it wasn't really the time to say, just a minute, honey! She swore under her breath instead. She tied Danny Miller's wrists together simply but securely, just as she had many a calf's legs growing up. 

"Now, go." He was frozen. She bodily shoved the man. Given their weight differential, it was surely surprise that launched him forward a long stumble-stride, and not any sort of brute strength on her end.

She would have him walk into the room in front of her, because these men wouldn't shoot their guy.

They shot their guy. 

Valentina stared in numb disbelief as Danny Miller took two bullets--three! His body contorted, now a meaty sponge for 22-caliber rounds with arms straining against the belted knot. Bloodstains bloomed across his wretched turtleneck, and he dropped to the ground. Gone was her shield. She stared through where he had been standing to the second man, the lucky man with the most chips, who was now holding the docile man's snub-nosed revolver. 

They fired their respective guns. Two bullets, one percussive gunshot.

It was a whole lot of nothing. Her shot went wide. His knocked her hat off her head. In the moment, though, she was absolutely convinced she had just been shot in the head, that she was dead, and this was it. The new air on her hair was surely the empty space of a hole clean through her skull.

The impotent click of the man's revolver snapped her back to life--she squeezed the trigger again, and again, and again. The man's six-shot revolver had been out of bullets after that hat shot, but her Beretta was not.

Two of her shots missed, but one hit home. It was north of where she'd been aiming; she had shot him in the throat. She held eye contact with the lucky man as blood sputtered out of his mouth in dark red rivulets. Two men dead and dying in a matter of moments. Her Beretta was still extended in front of her with four rounds left in the mag. 

Where were the others? Probably hiding. Valentina stepped out from the hallway properly, looking only for Nicholas. Her gaze landed on him, and fell instantly to the telltale dark on his collarbone. She rushed to his side.

Report Post Tip
"Damn... that was a close one Val. Way to close."

Nicholas grimaces in pain and struggles to rise to his feet. He stumbles forward a bit but finally manages to stand, putting pressure on the wounds.

"DAMN IT! That hurt. I'm glad you didn't get hit though. I'd hug you... but the blood and stuff ya' know."

Nicholas walks over towards Danny's dead body and peers down the short hallway. At the end of the hallway everything is still open.... Except the safe that is. Nicholas gives Danny a hard kick in the head, splattering a bit of blood on his boot.

"Double damn it Danny.... Looks like you're gonna have to crack that safe Val. I don't know how much time we have though. Once I hit the ground, the other few chumps took to the door. I'd be willing to bet the cops or someone will come sniffing around any minute. Definitely after all that commotion. Keep your wits about you and I'll be right back, I'm gonna grab the car. Hopefully take care of these holes in me."

Nicholas strides down the street, hops in the Airstream and drives down to the front of the convenience store. He pushes in the car's cigarette lighter. Reaching into the glovebox he pulls out a rag. He unbuttons his shirt reveling the two bullet holes and wipes the blood. About that time the cigarette lighter pops. He wipes the blood one more time, grabs the lighter and plunges it on to the wound letting out a loud scream. The smell of the burnt flesh rises with a bit of smoke as the small bullet wound is seared shut. Plunging the lighter back into the socket he repeats the process. Climbing from the front seat, he rounds the car to the trunk and
un-latches it. Reaching in he ruffles around a bit and grabs a Breda Modello 30 and a pocket full of stripper clips. Then heads back into the store.

"Any luck on that safe Val?"

BlackBlack is strolling down the street of South Philly with his wife by his side. He was here on business but that didn't stop him from having a little bit of fun. They had been out to a restaurant and eaten some amazing Italian food. His wife was wearing a little figure hugging red dress which highlighted her curves perfectly.

Suddenly, a shady figure jumped out of a side alley and runs right into them. He falls to the ground before picking himself up and running off. BlackBlack checked on his wife to make sure she was ok. She was just a little shocked but not hurt in any way. BlackBlack patted himself down. His wrist watch was missing. He turns to chase after the thief but he has vanished.

They continue on back to their hotel room. Once they arrive, BlackBlack ensures his wife makes it into the room.

"I'll be back love. I need to go get granddad's watch back"

BlackBlack heads off back to where the watch was stolen. He heads into the alleyway and hides out behind a dumpster. About half an hour passes before the same shady character as before appears in the shadows of the alley. He yells out:

"Oi, give me back my watch you cunt!"

The shady man runs and BlackBlack chases. He finally catchs up to him and beats him to within an inch of his life before taking his watch back and his wallet.

BlackBlack makes his way back to the hotel. On the way he gets distracted by a speakeasy and drops in for a cocktail. He leaves in a rush. He goes to take out a cigar but he is fresh out. He spots a convenience. He runs over and bursts through the door only to see NicholasGrimwood yell out to Valentina:

"Any luck on that safe Val?"

Report Post Tip

Herbert found himself strolling down the streets of Philadelphia. It had been a while since he let himself browse shop windows and just generally enjoy the sites in a city with this much history too it. He had just finished seeing the liberty bell and figured he should go ahead and get himself some ice cream and maybe buy himself something nice. 

He found an ice cream shop and got himself a vanilla cone with some sprinkles and cookies crumbled on top. He hoped no one from his family would see him walking around with this as it might make him look a little soft but what can you do. Sometimes you just have to enjoy life a little bit. He started licking on the cone as he walked past the shops down the street. He wasn't sure what he wanted but he knew he wanted to spend some money on something. He deserved it he thought to himself. 

Before long he spotted it, a Rolex shop with all the nicest watches of of the day. He smiled as he walked inside. He enjoyed the smell of places like this. He began browsing. That one was to goddy, that one to lean. Eventually he came across the perfect watch. Leather band, god rim, simple yet elegant and most  importantly, expensive. He called the shop keeper over and purchased it. Not even caring to ask how much money it was. He strapped it on and admired it for a second before smiling and walking out the door. He was glad he came here today. It was a nice day. 

Report Post Tip

Valentina huffed a startled, broken almost-laugh at Grimwood's comment. She would absolutely hug him with or without the blood, if not for the risk of hurting him in the process. Her thin eyebrows were furrowed with despairing worry as she looked at his hand pressed over his wound, where blood was staining his fingers. He was the doctor, not her. While growing up, she had tended scraped up legs of cows, cleaned cuts on horse's hocks, and carefully untangled barbed wire from a dog, but these were nothing serious. Whenever it was serious, they simply dispatched the animal.

It was good he was still upright. That had to be a positive sign. But they had to get out of here. A bleeding wound was a splintered hourglass with sand spilling everywhere, ultimately a timer running out faster than intended.

Trust her paramour's priorities... predicting cops, and still stuck on the loot. Never mind his injuries! She wanted to them to be thinking of their escape plan. It was her fault, though, since she could've prodded Miller better. There was no arguing from her, for she was going to have to crack that safe. She had already cracked a safe today. Its jewels were what got them into this mess in the first place. What was one more? Valentina blew out a measured breath.

Long ago, she had nicked a stethoscope from Grimwood's belongings on some hotel stay or another. It was a shamelessly prized trophy of hers, and she has kept it on her person ever since its acquisition. It was what had opened the door for her past simple locks, of which were her early bread and butter.

She gingerly stepped around Miller's corpse, then covered the short hallway in a few hurried strides. The glossy-varnish cabinet was of course still there where she'd left it, along with the damningly closed safe. As she retrieved the stethoscope from an inner coat pocket, she knelt down in front of the safe. Everything she'd learned about this, she had learned in passing. Cobbled together bits of advice from those she'd met in group jobs had formed a fairly workable routine.

Her early burglary had taken place in a silent, closed-up office. Low risk, low reward. To think, she'd been so stressed over it, a bundle of nerves huddled by the safe. The silence here was in no way the same what with her soulmate wounded out there, corpses on the ground, and gunshots to alert everyone on the block... no, no, no. This was the line of thinking to avoid entirely.

No job is the same, but one can find a routine in chaos. This, unlike the others and thus like the others. Valentina closed her eyes, listening through the stethoscope as she rotated the dial. Everything had a catch, and she was here listening for it. There. Her eyes snapped open to catch the nearest number, and she committed it to memory. She began spinning it in the opposing direction, listening, listening, listening. She was a split-second slow spying the second number. On the third go, she was simmering with impatience, all tense muscles and and her own heartbeat in her ears threatening to hide the gears ticking.

She gripped the latch, only to find it immobile. The combination was off. Damn it!

It must be the second that is off. She'd known she was off and still she'd stuck with it. These were amateur hours, apparently. Valentina steeled herself and tried again, listening intently during the second spin, this time with her eyes open. She had a stronger guess for the second. And for the third... there.

The safe cranked open without resistance.

With uncanny timing, that was when she heard a shout. She about slammed the safe right back shut, having nearly jumped out of her skin. "Working on step two!" Valentina called back, as if there were any orderly steps to all this madness.

Inside was first and foremost a bevy of handguns, surrendered temporarily by the poker players. There were neat stacks of cash on a second shelf, and a wooden box on the bottom. These made up the prize pot, perhaps, and Miller's own stash? Valentina would be liberating all of this regardless of specifics. Into the sack the cash and guns went, making for a fair bit of weight.

The wooden box, fortunately, was not locked. Made of unstained wood, sanded smooth but not finished, with intricate patterns carved along the sides. It had no hinges; the top slid open smoothly. Inside were green velvet pouches and two flat gold bars. Valentina picked up one of the pouches to find it lightweight, but with a promising feel. She peeked in to see the telltale sparkle of precious stones. If the fence had only followed through to sell hers off as he was likely trying to do so with these... well, she'd be looking at a much more modest payday. There was no time to inspect it all, so she swiped the velvet bags into her big burlap one. She tightened the drawstring and stood up to go.

Her heart skipped a beat to find Grimwood wasn't in the back room. Her focus had been so narrow on the safe. She paused to see if she heard anything, belated as it was, thoughts jumping immediately to coppers or if the unaccounted poker players had returned. Hearing nothing, she zipped out toward the main storeroom.

In her haste, she wasn't thinking about the bodies and nearly tripped over one. An array of thunks sounded as the burlap sack hit the ground. The least dignified "Eeeeek" escaped her as she shrank back away from the dead poker player. She cursed, and dropped down yet again to scoop up the satchel.

A gun had slipped out. She tilted the Colt revolver to check the bullets, seeing six of six. This one, she pocketed for later.

A lesson was learned: she knotted the drawstring loosely so it would hold better. She stood up, avoided the bodies this time, and headed out to the main store. Her dark eyes searched for Grimwood.

"That bags lookin' pretty heavy. Nice job on the safe Val." Nicholas attempted to brush himself off and straighten his attire, but there was no hiding the shit shape he was in. So far The job had been messy and loud. Now the holes near his collar bone were already beginning to open again. Time had wore short and his patience wore thin.

"Lets get the fuck outta' here Val. I'm sick of this place and I need to get this lead the hell out. I'm startin' to feel a bit too worse for wear, so I'm gonna' need you to drive." Nicholas grimaces in pain as he pokes his head out the storefront doors to examine the status of the street. Luckily, it was mostly bare with just a few parked vehicles out front and the faint sound of police sirens in the distance. Nicholas waves Val towards the door. "Coast looks clear. Here, take the car keys." Nicholas reluctantly hands over the keys and heads for the passenger side of the car. Once there he opens the door and slides back a plexiglass hatch on the rear windshield and inserts the long barrel of the Breda through. Finally resting the bipod on the rear of the seat. He climbs in and kneels down on the front seat with his back facing the windshield, resting it upon the dash so he can operate the unwieldy LMG. "Try and keep steady and away from any cops. You know anywhere safe we can head?"

Valentina accepted the car keys about as reluctantly as Grimwood had offered them. She would have to make sure nothing happened to the car. Not a single scratch. 

There was no casual way to hold a burlap sack of ill-gotten gains, Valentina was finding out while following Nicholas out the door. She kept a firm one-handed grip on it, while her other was in her pocket with her Beretta. She had all of four rounds left, but had the fresh Colt in an inner pocket. And at least she wasn't the one lugging a machine gun back and forth with lead in her chest... 

A cursory look down the street showed someone exiting a store--she pivoted on her heel and kept walking toward the car. Nothing to see here! She was a humble civilian that had a long shopping list for her mundane trip to a small corner shop. She was a lady that had misplaced her hat in a totally innocuous fashion. She was also diving into the driver's seat so hurriedly she smacked her forehead on the frame. 

Blinking away that sting, she dropped the sack on the middle of the bench seat. While Grimwood was getting situated, she couldn't help but do a double-take at the rear window modification. She'd never noticed, but then they hadn't had any gunfights in this thing yet. Usually you didn't take your personal, favorite car if you could help it.

When she went to start the car, it hung for a couple seconds, before she got the pedals right--she was halfway self-taught when it came to driving cars, and didn't have a real knack for it.

Valentina nodded in response to his question, and said, "Yes. I have an idea." When she went to drive off, it stalled out. "Sorry!" Again, she got it fired up, and put it into first gear properly this time. Her attempt at nonchalance when she continued speaking fell a bit short. "I run deliveries for this place, but I know it's often closed up. I can get us in no problem." As they came onto an intersection, she waffled too long on if she should turn or not, and kept driving through it. "There are medical supplies there. It's not a hospital. Well, not one for people."

She was thinking of a nearby small animal clinic, where the veterinarian preferred house calls to walk-ins.

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: All Roads Lead To
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL