Get Timers Now!
X

Apr 26 - 03:49:53
Page:  1 2 [ > - >>> ]
Cry Me a Hudson River. Started by: Dagda on Jan 06, '22 21:22

A different day, a different flaming hobo trash camp in a back alley. Same old pretentious Dagda warming his hands by the fire and staring into the flames. This time Dagda had a specific topic rather than several. He hoped it might be easier for the less cognitively gifted out there to understand and, god willing, respond to. This time he chose a flaming hobo trash camp in Manhattan, on the Hudson River waterfront. 

"Friends, I come before you today to make an observation on the recent activity in our beloved streets. Of late I have noticed an uptick of whining and complaining about various topics. Things are boring. Not enough action and blood. You don't like auth speeches. Lincoln_Lawyer is mean. Stories are stupid, and people who tell them are dumb. Nobody does newspapers anymore. Your family keeps dying despite living in a peaceful era. The list goes on.

It seems to me that some people just complain for the sake of complaining. At what point does it end? When the storytellers run rampant, they are ridiculed and belittled, if their speech is heard at all. When many people take godfather in a short amount of time, people whine about the numerous announcement and auth speeches. When people try to organize competitions, some try to sabotage them and then complain about them for weeks on end. When people try to start debates, there are complaints that the topics are old and re-hashed. When the streets are silent, people whine about that as well.

I'm curious, what exactly do you wish the streets to be? What, ideally, should they look like in order to appease the complaints? I want to hear of this utopia that people envision the streets to be. Perhaps then people will take some action to improve what they whine about of their own initiative, rather than expecting others to do it for them. 

A speech complaining about people complaining - the irony is not lost on me, I assure you. The way I see it, there will never be an end to the crying, unless the Hudson River overflows with tears. "

Report Post Tips: 28 / Total: $640,000 Tip

You've hit the nail firmly on the head there Dagda, there will never be an end to the crying.

You can never appease all people all of the time. There is always someone unhappy with how things are and normally these people will want to kick and scream and complain instead of working to help make a change. They seldom will have any ideas of how things could be better, but are more than willing to tell you how bad they currently are.

Our ancestors have seen it all in this thing of ours and you know as well as I do that the much lauded "it was better x years ago" is a load of shite. These streets have always been what people make them, they will be quiet at times and they will be full of nonsense at times, but the only way any of us can alter what they are, is by participating in whatever change it is we want to see.

I'll be the first to admit that i'm nowhere near as vocal as many of my lineage have been in the past, that isn't because I don't have a desire to walk these streets and converse, it's just there hasn't been anything of note that I wish to raise nor anything until recently that I wanted to add my opinion to.

I'm a happy man with any action on the streets that I can utiilse to take me away from routine of committing crimes, whether that be someone telling us a story or people coming out to announce changes in their cities, or as you said the odd competition being held. Anything is better than nothing - and yes, that includes a certain repetitive voice that loves to make themselves out as some sort of street saviour.

Report Post Tips: 4 / Total: $160,000 Tip
I don't believe Lincoln is "mean" - I have a great deal of time for the man. Forever is a long time and I am quite sure that ancestors of ours will once again work together. Kuku/Lincoln Street discourse rank among the most vital.

"the odd competition being held" Tyrion, I assume you're referring to either the competition which saw the top prize being awarded (by Lincoln) to a non-entrant, or possibly the oddity that was a reprisal competition action being launched, which led to numerous deaths. What was also odd about that competition was Lincoln turning his giving-top-prize-to-a-non-entrant on its head and gave a large prize to someone who did enter.

There are a number of allegations about that competition, but let's let sleeping dogs lie.
Report Post Tip

Don't know why Hudson is called Hudson in New York, but Chicago River is called Chicago River in Chicago. Absolutely zero flair on our part to be honest. But that is going off topic. 

And to return back to the topic, and notwithstanding the irony of it. 

So I will address this issue in a Haiku; 

Complaining is easy, 
They want you to be pissed off, 
Problem can't be solved.  

In all seriousness, it is just easy to complain, easier still to complain without offering any other solutions. One does not have to listen the auth speeches or announcements, and one does not need to hear out the storytellers. But if you are not offering something else, something that you would like -- well. 

Yeah. Nothing will appease the complaints. 

Report Post Tips: 6 / Total: $120,000 Tip
Mike are you complaining about complaining about complaining?

We are getting Meta here.

Has anyone read Systematic Immolation of Thought?
Report Post Tips: 2 / Total: $40,000 Tip

You keep bringing that up, and it baffles me because no matter how you try to frame it and no matter how you try to alter the facts, you still come out looking (smelling, since you're a candle?) bad. The general consensus after the event was that Lincoln made the correct decision after the actions of your ancestors. Lincoln sending the money to a non-entrant was directly caused by your ancestor attacking said recipient's father without reason. You keep trying to dress it up, but no one is buying what you're trying to sell. 

Dagda - we don't disagree on the fundamentals:

1. A competition was launched
2. Lincoln held the top prize in escrow
3. Lincoln awarded the top prize to a non-entrant

I don't think Lincoln is, like, a bad person or whatever, but it was and is an interesting fact that a competition was won by someone who didn't enter.

One for a pub quiz!
Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

3. is false. The prize was not awarded. It was seized and paid to the kin of your victim to compensate for the death you caused, with the secondary objective of infuriating you. Clearly it has worked.

"is, like, a bad"

What's this? Real housewives of Orange County ...?

Dagda

OK, I'll amend:

3. Lincoln gave the top prize to a non-entrant

Also, son, this world makes me feel a range of things. Infuriated is not one of then.
Report Post Tip
Dagda - who killed Odin?
Report Post Tip

Does it matter? It was a rogue.

Report Post Tip
I wasn't asking you, Bacon, I was talking to Tyrion
Report Post Tip

Needs more violence. Nothing else.

Report Post Tip

~∴Dagda - who killed Odin? 

I wasn't asking you, Bacon, I was talking to Tyrion

Were you though? Odin was killed by either CptSaveaHoe or her accomplice Blademaster. Don't tell me you're going to try to take credit for that kill as well?

That is off topic however, let me address your other previous response.

Also, son, this world makes me feel a range of things. Infuriated is not one of then.

Your obsession with Lincoln implies otherwise. Let's not beat around the bush and call it what it is. Your line has, across multiple generations, mentioned him in nearly every appearance they make. In the streets, down OOC avenue, in private telegrams. They have whispered his name in the ears of the unprotected gangsters and goombas they have slain in "vengeance." It is an outright obsession. Which leads one to believe one of a few causes: Anger, spite/jealousy, or attraction. I may be wrong, but the spite and anger seem more likely in this case than attraction, however I won't rule it out. It's 1922, I don't judge.

Report Post Tips: 4 / Total: $80,000 Tip

If you were asking Tyrion, why did you address your question to Dagda. I do have one small gripe though, I am certainly not mean, I've personally given away over 75 million so far, and while yes some idiots do seem to either put me on a pedistal and worship me or throw as much shit as they can in the hope that some sticks, I am generally quite a nice guy, as I'm sure many peoe will happily attest to. I certainly don't skulk in the shadows and shoot innocient low ranked mafioso in an ineffectual attempt to make myself feel good because I am incapable of inacting the vengence I actually seek. But I digress.

You are completely correct Dagda, the streets at the moment are at a low ebb, and no doubt at some point that will switch, but regardless of when that happens we will still have dicks complaining about how shit the streets are. There are folks out there that don't like the storytellers, folks that don't like announcements, folks that don't like snoozepapers, folks that don't like discussion and debate, folks that don't like competitions, and then you have ScentedCandle and his Kuku-ites (catamites?) who hate everything that isn't by them or about them. Go figure. And do you know what? It'll never change, because the streets have always had people who bitch and moan and talk shit about other people, and they always will. 

And finally, and the Rock ('s great-great grandson) does mean finally, ScentedCandle, you and I will never work together again. The last star will burn out in 180 trillion years, and then the universe will be nothing but blackholes for eons after, and do you know what? When that last star flickers and dies, your family and mine will still never have collaborated on anything ever again. You are incapable of change, your family is incapable of change, and thats fine, you do you, I'll just continue to live rent free in your head.

Who do you consider the Kuku-lites?
Report Post Tip

After finishing his cigar on the park bench, Bacon then decided to stretch his legs. Walking casually along the street he overheard a commotion down the way. It appeared the debate from earlier had resumed its uproar in earnest. Bacon thought now was the time to indulge and he carefully opened his package of popcorn.

Bite after bite of popcorn was enjoyed as he spectated the ongoing discussion that was turning into quite the entertainment show for Bacon.

Report Post Tip

This is actually something which I feel has gone round in some shape or form, for as long as I can remember. People say the Streets are dead but when the story-tellers come out, people shun them. Is there really a need for debates and news all the time? No. Competitions have a similar theme going on. My forefathers have run plenty of their own competitions and one of the hardest things to achieve from it is simply gaining participation, yet people will still like to say that the Streets are dead.

This same principle extends to many other areas too though. When there is wars, it's "Why cant we live in peace and just promote growth". When that same said growth is present and expansions/promotions are happening, "Its too quiet, everyone is being too friendly."

No matter what scenario, you will always have the negative minded individuals who love to find the sour in a situation.

We have seen a number of debates lately, competitions, stories, a piece of everything really. I personally feel that the Streets are in a good spot, barring some things here and there but thats par for the course.

On a sidenote, Candle you seem to continue to misunderstand that Lincoln acted on my orders regarding the prizes we seized. I can understand how you repeatedly make this error and think it was his decision though, since your mind is filled with his name only.

Report Post Tips: 3 / Total: $60,000 Tip
So, he was just acting on orders?

That defence?

Wow.
Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Cry Me a Hudson River.
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL