Get Timers Now!
X

Apr 29 - 09:46:43
Page:  1 2 [ > - >>> ]
Lets discuss the streets - How exciting! Started by: Maxine on Jan 24, '22 00:20

I can't be arsed to find a way for a 6 year old to give a shit about this, nor do I think it'll be a useful conversation to have in character due to the annoyance of carefully avoiding OOC and then not getting your point across clearly. Ok that's a lot of words already - BEAR WITH ME KIDS. 

So the streets while active, are barely scraping by to be qualified as "Role-play" in most cases. Hell, some replies aren't bothering with punctuation, more effort gets put into facebook posts these days. There is literally more effort going into 99% of the Business District posts compared to the streets, which is frankly horrifying to me. 

So I'm on a mission to figure out some sort of solution. And given how absurd I am with my own writing, I know I am not the common player, which is why I'm turning to you guys. And I know this has been fucking done to death over the years so don't bother stating that. Instead think of this as a fresh look at what you want changed, with the assumption that change will happen. 

So tell me, what do you dislike/hate about the streets currently? What would you prefer to see? 

Report Post Tips: 4 / Total: $80,000 Tip

The attack on role players is what made the streets what it is today.

When I first started this game the streets was full of role play stories. Then the attack on the role players happened about a year ago maybe two. This is when the streets stopped being roleplay and became a corner for discussions.   It is too late to save the streets everyone has basically moved to the BD for roleplaying, and has left the streets for discussions.. 

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $100,000 Tip

One more thing to take note of which has been spoken about . Many posts in the streets get deleted and there is no response as to why. This is discouraging to people it makes them feel like not posting because they may get deleted again  and not know why. 

Also when people have reported out of context posts being put into their storyline instead of the out of context post being removed it is left there and the staff handling it says, " I know it is out of context , but it is well written so it stays."

Report Post Tip

Sorry for the multi posts it is early and still on cup one of coffee. 

If Jen would like I have an extensive guide for how to roleplay properly and on how to create your character written by a friend for another roleplay site ( they don't have near the issues as this site does.) She let me have it and said I can share it where ever I would like.  

If Jen would like it to post here I would be glad to share it The original has given the permission to share because of her love of roleplay.

People think roleplaying it simply creative writing and it is not , it is actually a game with rules.

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

Literally none of this has anything to do with the question about how people are currently posting in the streets and what you dislike about it. 

1. Why people don't use the streets - can't fix that

2. Staff deleting posts - Thats been corrected by sweepers

3. Staff didn't delete a post because it didn't break any rules

3. Guide to RP 

The point of the thread is to get a baseline of standards that wouldn't drive people away for being too complex to follow, but also not lax enough that we have shitty twitter 2.0 like we do currently. 

Based on your feedback nothing needs to change and everything is hunky-dory?  

The point of the thread is to get a baseline of standards that wouldn't drive people away for being too complex to follow, 

Correct and everything I said is related to the  baseline of standards that wouldn't  (has) drive(n) people away.

I am sorry that you see my feed back as saying it is honky dory. I do have a hard time sometimes expressing my thoughts. 

Report Post Tip
Maxine

Should that be:

3a

3b

Or:

Or:

3(i)

3(ii)

?
Report Post Tip

Right so my currently complaints are as follows: 

1. Fucking emojis being used. "He smiled", "She laughed." Dudes. Come on. At least pretend to give a shit that you're in the RP forum. 

2. Replies that are so short and pointless a toddler could repeat them word for word after one attempt.

3. The fucking piss poor quality of the short "discussion posts". Some don't even have punctuation or capitalization. I don't want you to write paragraphs, but surely 2 full sentences that you use the browser spellcheck on isn't that big of an ask? 

4. Writing contests - We don't write on the streets, we tell stories. Fucking call it a story telling comp or move it to OOC god damn it. 

Report Post Tip

JamesDouglasMorrison it should be 4 because I forgot the first 3 and added it in after the 3a had been put in and basically I should stick to bullet points. 

Report Post Tip
Maxine

"The point of the thread is to get a baseline of standards that wouldn't drive people away for being too complex to follow, but also not lax enough that we have shitty twitter 2.0 like we do currently."

Standards of conduct on the Streets? Or reducing OOC? Or increasing the skill levels that allows for people to have meaningful debates on the Streets without admin accusations arising from blatant slipping from RP? We had a terrible case recently where someone made absurd administration accusations having multiple times gone into OOC on the streets
Report Post Tip

Already explained a bit in my complaint list: 

2. Replies that are so short and pointless a toddler could repeat them word for word after one attempt.

3. The fucking piss poor quality of the short "discussion posts". Some don't even have punctuation or capitalization. I don't want you to write paragraphs, but surely 2 full sentences that you use the browser spellcheck on isn't that big of an ask? 

Report Post Tip

Slinging insults is not a good solution. These streets are by far more active than say three months ago. I am not a scholar with great writing skills. Do I have potential? Perhaps. Yesterday I received mail offering me constructive criticism on one of my posts which was greatly appreciated. 

All this does is turn people off and push posting way. This is not the first time. There is nothing horrifying about Business Districts growing. I don't get how you see this as horrifying. 

The standards have always been higher in street threads and posts due to being public to the entire game, where good writing has always happened in the business district there was more freedom to let your hair down, be slightly more creative and have fun with silly mini-plots in businesses. 

The horrifying part is that there are no standards and no one seems to care anymore. But perhaps that's just me being a miserable cunt, eh? 

Report Post Tip

The rules are not being broken on the ones you are dissatisfied with. We have a new generation. New people. We have people who never hit the streets posting now. Ridiculing those who try is not the solution as I stated. 

As for how your index of feeling today, is irrelevant.   

Report Post Tips: 2 / Total: $220,000 Tip

Maxine, 20 years ago when I first started playing, people used to rag on folks all the time about poor written English, bad grammar, poor spelling etc. (a few still do because they can't argue the points being made only the poor spelling and grammar) Some of those folks were easy marks, and people got an easy chuckle out of tying them in knots. But, as time progressed, and rules came in on the games side about not being a dick, people started to realise that not everyone speaks English as a first language, some don't even speak it as a second language. On top of that, there are people here who, shall we say, have issues in real life, learning difficulties such as dyslexia and dyspraxia, Autism (I myself am autistic) and the like, and they often have problems stringing together coherent sentences in a readable form. For others, perhaps this is their first experience of playing an MMORPG that actually does specify the R... most so called MMORPGS these days do not. With encouragement from their CL they go forth into the streets to interact... and they get shot down. So they stop posting, or worse still they leave. Others play exclusively on a phone and have problems typing big messages on a small screen.

With 20 years under my belt, as you can imagine, I am quite long in the tooth, so I have grown to love the streets in all their cluttered, ambiguous, poorly formatted and spell checked splendour. And do you know what? Very little has actually changed. Some folks still RP, some still argue in the streets, so make announcements, some post utter shit and complete drivel, but that was, is and always will be part of the game. 

So let me turn this on its head and ask you, what is it that you expect to see? What do you hope to accomplish by pissing on people's parade?

Report Post Tips: 8 / Total: $1,300,000 Tip

I'm not having a go at people who are new or English is their second language. The people who specifically brought this conversation about in lounge have been around for years, are good writers and for some reason now collectively the game just went, "Yah, no four words for a reply in the streets is fine." 

I've had the conversation a few times with people in lounge, where they don't post because of how the streets are now. I was hoping to just get a larger set of opinions to find a middleground so everyone who wants to post will, but clearly this has gone poorly.

But four people responding and thus far the overwhelming response is the problem in some form is me so lol Imma just get this deleted before any of us waste anymore time on it. Thanks for the feedback guys, I'm sorry what was me trying to be funny ranting ended up just being offensive to some. That was not my intention. 

Report Post Tip

You are very articulate when it comes to writing. Anytime you want to send me some constructive criticism, I am open to the gesture. This applies to anyone who wants to help me on the street walls  

Report Post Tip

Sorry Maxine, I didn't mean to insinuate that you were having a go at folks for their language skills, and yes you are right about 4 word posts, the 'Yeah fuck you too's and the tl:dr people. 

As for 4 people responding and going with the status quo, its early days. And forgive me if I'm wrong, but none of the posts were exactly status quo posts. Alice said the streets died when the RPers were chased off. Personally I disagree with her, I've never been a fan of 'RPed Storytelling' in the streets, and I believe the BD is the best place for it. But that's just my opinion, and its no more valid than any one elses. People have fallen out of the habits of old. Debating, announcements and the like. Even when some of us old timers do post something such as an auth post, or a GF ascension post, the majority ignore it. I am personally at a loss as to how resolve it. One thing I am sure off though, is rules are not going to reverse the trend. Telling people what they can't do never inspires them to do what they can when it comes to playing a game. 

We need to encourage people into the streets, get them posting, and then as they do that, the quality will improve over time

Report Post Tips: 2 / Total: $40,000 Tip

Similar to the game itself, streets are what you make them to be. And personally, I don't like the snobbery. There might be some weird 'discussion posts' out there but if that creates some activity in the streets, who are we to complain?

If anyone is genuinely unhappy with the current state of the Streets, I welcome them to open a thread or five. Send mobmails, bug people over Lounge, invite people to your world building exercise. Write stories the way you want it to be written. Get people involved. 

That is how the streets will change, and not through an outside-in approach. 

Report Post Tips: 4 / Total: $80,000 Tip

On IRC there is #RP going on. Anyone can join. I did. I got to tell you though Bacon will be persistent on luring you to the streets. :D 

This Forum Is For Non RP Talk About The Game (AKA OOC)
Replying to: Lets discuss the streets - How exciting!
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL