Get Timers Now!
X

Apr 25 - 13:21:20
Page:  1 2 3 [ > - >>> ]
Canada is not what it use to be. (take 3) Started by: XisXis on Jun 08, '22 16:54
When I moved back to Canada from the U.S. I thought it would be nice to come home and relax.
Well I was really wrong about that.
We are in another political nightmare. The ruling government first made hollow promises, then shortly after he got elected he came through with one promise....and that was to make weed legal in Canada.
Today I now found the his liberal government is going to decriminalize cocaine and a few other drugs in British Columbia.

This seriously makes the country unstable for anything worth while, I can see in the near future that Marshall Law will come into effect.
Report Post Tips: 3 / Total: $60,000 Tip

Who's Marshall? Must be a pretty cool guy to have a law named after him

Report Post Tips: 3 / Total: $60,000 Tip

I had an uncle that designed his own cocaine for his 1968 Canadian Syrup contest. (This was in 1972)

After a few months of testing he went to get a patent on the cocaine 

After the paperwork was turned in, about 3 weeks later, 4 men in snowshoes and dog sleds showed at his door and asked to see the cocaine production

He took them to his igloo and they proceeded to remove the drugs from the igloo. They even took his hockey stick and his ice skates and when they left, they said this:

"If you ever do this again we won't be held accountable to what might happen to you". 

He switched to meth and never did coke again

Report Post Tips: 6 / Total: $120,000 Tip

I'm sure they're only decriminalizing drug users not dealers. As they say in the US:

If you don't like it... move???

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

For those wanting to read about the reasoning behind this: https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/05/31/british-columbia-decriminalize-cocaine-opioids-meth/

TL;DR: Its an attempt to reduce the number of overdoses. Its not going to open up Canada to a bigger drug problem. 

Also this isn't the first place to do it - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_status_of_cocaine

To answer to rebuttal.

We had a free shot up site here in the city I live in and you could come in a get what you needed and shoot up with nurses on hand.

This was to stop the street traffic and cut down on the deaths in out community.

Well after a year and a half of giving this to the users it did not drop the deaths but it did increase the users.

Aiding an addict will only make it worse, ask any reformed addict, even they will tell you. Until an addict wants to quit themselves nothing and no program will aid them. But openly allowing it never helps.

Report Post Tip
  • No deaths have been reported at supervised consumption or drug overdose prevention sites.
  • There is no indication that prescribed safe supply is contributing to illicit drug deaths.

From reading this official government document: HERE

Fun thing about drugs, the "War" on it never worked, it just made people more desperate and stuck in a cycle where why would they want to get clean because life has nothing to offer them. 

Source: Hundreds of AA meetings with my parents + My actual parents

Please take your dumb opinions some where else where they are valued. Like Facebook. 

Well the funny thing is that no one said people died at the shoot up sites.
Maybe you need to take your opinon to face book but im sure you have whined there alot.
Report Post Tip
Canada beats thr USA how easy whats about gun control. Anf thats what I love most atm. Not so good about changing ibdustri to safe the climate though...
Report Post Tip

The Canadian police are probably just tired of apologising. It's easier to decriminalize drugs than it is to repeat the same script every fifteen minutes: "I'm soarry sir, but opioids are illegal in Canada, eh. I'm going to have to confiscate your stash and arrest you. Soarry aboot that, eh. Merci, et je m'excuse monsieur."

Report Post Tip

People actually think this is going to help but it has no chance. It will create easier access to highly addictive drugs that ruin lives and kill people. It's an interesting experiment they are doing with people's lives, so I will be keeping an eye on it. Whether it's moral is a whole different ball game. The left love to allow the government to control their lives until it's about something that actually matters, then suddenly they switch from advocating for authoritarian style government to becoming libertarians. I've never seen a political movement wrong on more things.

Report Post Tip
Alucard, I would wager it actually does have a chance seeing as decriminalization policies have almost universally led to decreases in drug consumption, dependence, recidivism and crime rates, while freeing up resources previously wasted on a failed war on drugs. It would take 30 seconds on google to look this up. They are replicating the 'experiment' because it has been successful.

Two years ago, I was working outside at my house when I heard the sound of sirens. 4 emergency response vehicles arrived two houses down and then I heard the most gut-wrenching, hysterical screaming I have ever witnessed. The neighbour's adult son had OD'd with a friend. The friend recognized what was happening and starting life-saving measured. The mother arrived home in the middle of all of this happening and called 911. 

The illegal drugs the guys had bought were laced with fentanyl. Luckily, the guy survived the ordeal and I thank my lucky stars that that is as close and I have come to witnessing or being affected by a drug overdose but many others here in BC are not as lucky. Addicts and users are going to find a way to get high regardless of legality. That's why they call it an addiction and that's why there is an epidemic of drug overdoses, at least here in BC. Legal means of obtaining drugs will only ensure their safety from being laced with crap like fentanyl, it will not increase drug use. Many publicly funded resources are used in dealing with "personal use" leaves of drug possession, that could now be used in better ways including addiction reduction.

It is a real shame that people think drug use is ok and we need to help the addict. 

You ask any person who does drugs they will not stop using until the themselves want to stop, so helping them out does not curb the uses in anyway.

The mixture of lethal drugs will still be out there being sold illegally so where is the difference....

Alberta tried shoot up sites where people could come and get a fix After 1.5 years the sites were scraped because it only was adding to the problem. Sure no one died at the sites but when they were not there the numbers of deaths never dropped and street use was higher.

BC will find out the same problem

Report Post Tip

My comment was not condoning drug use. But I also realize that drug use will happen. With the only option to purchase drugs being from illegal dealers, the threat of them being cut with dangerous, unknown substances, will always be there. Thus the risk of death from fentanyl overdose, or other means due to the cutting with other substances will be there. An addict will always find a way to get high, and the more difficult it is to find that high, the more risky means addicts will take to accomplish that.

An addict will only quit when they are ready. You are 100% right there. So instead of using resourcing in fighting small possession charges, why not use those resources for addiction counselling and services? Also, your comment feeds back into my point. An addict won't quit until they are ready, so they will find any way to get their high and risk their lives doing so if safe methods are not available to them. 

This may seem mean but if the addict does not want to quit and they will find the means to get high at any cost....why then spend the money to support them. In other words let them die.

Harsh but it is the reality of the whole thing.

If you started the problem then nature will finish it. I do not feel any remorse over a death of a user.

Report Post Tip

XisXis

I think you've just stolen the Toughest Guy crown with this nugget of bravado.  Alternatively, you're a trembling inadequate, weighed down with the chip on your shoulder, desperately trying to prove your EdgeLord credentials.  

Once of the two.  I'm guessing the latter, with a helping of monumental stupidity.  I'm also guessing some relatives of yours have been visited by Four Men in Suits. 

Your brain is an inefficient ideas carberatur.  Get in the fucking bin, son. 

"I do not feel any remorse over a death of a user."

Report Post Tips: 4 / Total: $510,000 Tip

Well Jaws not sure what you mean by that but a user is a user and I really don't care if they die "why should I"

Report Post Tip
Because a 'user' is a human being?

Also, on a purely pragmatic point of view, a drugs death is like a prison sentence: very bureaucratic and costly.

But I'm guessing a genuine tough guy like you thinks we should keep prisoners in, I dunno, pits? Or just kill them?

Out of interest, how tough are you? Rate yourself out of ten?

LOL

First off you have me all wrong / and I will never rate myself better or worse than anyone else. I am not that egotistical.

Back around 68, 69 my dad got hooked on codine and demoral. A nice mix from our family doctor. It was a long process of breaking him off the drugs.

In early 71 he died from choking on his on vomit.

So don't try to preach to me about drugs and that they are ok for recreational use. That is a simple ploy for those of weak minds to do it because it is the thing to do and all my buddies are doing it.

Later on in life I did partake in the war on drugs but that is another story I will not get into.

Drug use is for those who cannot deal with the curve balls that life throws.....it is the easy way out.

Dont pussy out and do drugs.....change your life if it is not going anywhere, step up to the plate and hit yourself a home-run for Christ sake.

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For Topics Other Than The Game (AKA Outside)
Replying to: Canada is not what it use to be. (take 3)
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL