Get Timers Now!
X

Apr 20 - 07:46:26
Page: [ <<< - < ] 1 2 3 [ > - >>> ]
Canada is not what it use to be. (take 3) Started by: XisXis on Jun 08, '22 16:54

This may seem mean but if the addict does not want to quit and they will find the means to get high at any cost....why then spend the money to support them. In other words let them die.

Harsh but it is the reality of the whole thing.

If you started the problem then nature will finish it. I do not feel any remorse over a death of a user.

Back around 68, 69 my dad got hooked on codine and demoral. A nice mix from our family doctor. It was a long process of breaking him off the drugs.

In early 71 he died from choking on his on vomit.

So don't try to preach to me about drugs and that they are ok for recreational use. That is a simple ploy for those of weak minds to do it because it is the thing to do and all my buddies are doing it.

Hey Buddy, don't bring your daddy issues here. 

Report Post Tip
XisXis

Sorry for your loss.

I didn't say any of the things you just argued against, and engaging you on this subject simply facilitates your need to forcefully assert your rather weird policy 'beliefs'
Report Post Tip

XisXis said "Drug use is for those who cannot deal with the curve balls that life throws.....it is the easy way out."

Addiction has been recognized as physiological disease by the American Medical Society since 1935. That's almost 100 years and that professional opinion has not changed. So, drug use is not something for weak people, necessarily. Some of the strongest people I know are recovering addicts and alcoholics (they are the same thing, but that's another story). It's not a byproduct of someone who abused chemicals too much and for too long. I'll give you my grandfather as an example. He never touched drugs in his lifetime and had only the occasional beer. Well into his late 60's he got hooked on prescription painkillers that were prescribed to him by his doctor. He had to go to a rehab facility to get clean. This man was a tough S.O.B. who survived WWII and 50 years of living with my pain in the ass grandmother. He was far from weak. Yet, he could not get clean WITHOUT HELP.

Another example is my father. He was an alcoholic into his 40's. He tried rehab probably 20 times in his life before it finally took hold and something clicked. He has now been sober over 30 years. I grew up basically without him, but once he got sober he made up for lost time and I have to credit much of my success in life to him being there when I needed him. Had society given up on him and let him die, after, say...his 19th attempt at rehab, the world would have missed out on a wonderful man and I never would have had a father. These days he spends all his time doing volunteer work for animal rescue facilities. He's a much better human being than some of these arrogant and judgmental pricks who cannot comprehend his struggles.

The points I'm trying to make are: 1) Chemical dependency is not a self-inflicted problem. It's something in the DNA that affects very specific people and is presumed to be hereditary. 2) There is no such thing as someone who is beyond help. Some people are able to get clean early, others it takes more time. Don't judge what you cannot understand, and you cannot understand it unless you've been in their shoes. 3) Calling it weakness is laughable. For those who recover, it takes a hell of a lot of strength to overcome something that the majority of people never even have to fight against, and who cannot even comprehend the hold it has on those who suffer. It's like calling someone weak because they cannot fight their way out of a bear trap. But if they can, they are a hell of a lot tougher than you.

Report Post Tips: 2 / Total: $40,000 Tip

You people are so brain washed by society and its bull crap news it makes me laugh.

If people have a weakness for drugs "DON"T DO THEM" pretty fricking simple.

If you have a weakness for the drink "DON"T DRINK" pretty fricking simple.

If you have a weak mind and love to bend over for your friends and do what they are doing I feel sorry for you.

If they tell you to jump off a cliff would you do that......well probably since you follow their lead and drink and do drugs.

Users who recover are strong people, but they were weak when they started and bent to peer pressure in most cases.

Report Post Tip

Is that your professional opinion as a doctor, KissMyASS, or are you simply talking out of the thing you want us to kiss? What makes me laugh is people who hold strong opinions about things they have no education or expertise about.

Report Post Tip

KissMyASS (talking to a dead person) taking a highly political and sensitive subject and projecting your opinion as fact is unacceptable - to quote you - if you are addicted to doing something that harms you just simply stop it. So stop it. 

Those of us who have either experienced addiction or some might argue even tougher still watched someone go through it know it isn't weak people that just need to stop it. If it were that simple there would not be tons of clinical teams trained to deal with it.

Addictions come in all forms including placing misplaced comments on a forum that are not welcome and belong elsewhere.

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

Do I agree with him ? NO, but I don't agree with all you folks here calling him names because you don't like his opinion. 

Let this teach us all that you are not allowed to share your opinion on this site. Because if people disagree with your opinion you will be shamed in the game and  or killed. 

It does not matter if his opinion is considered wrong or misplaced or delivered  wrong according to you. All that matters is that he be allowed to share it.

Not treated like this is a communistic or fascist state,  where you are killed if your opinion is unacceptable. 

When you can not share opinion in an outside forum without getting some odd repercussion in the game, then the the players taking the game down hill. It shows that they are grasping at control. 

It was not the opinion to be very clear - I agree people should disagree, you are though making assumptions on this. 

The wording at best a bit unsensitive - it happens, the topic maybe also so - it happens. This was not soley as a result of stating an opinion. Omerta keeps me from from saying too much more than it was what followed that resulted in this choice. People can be asked to consider choices and words for the greater good of a city for example as a 'new' CL - they have numerous choices in how to respond to that many of which would not have resulted in this horrible outcome. I am not a knee jerk I fancy a kill sort, I do take action though when need not based on this post but because of the actions, words and then lack of them following and taking it to another arena to continue.

Please don't assume this is a - you aren't allowed to say something people don't like - thing it was what followed that resulted in the outcome.

People are insensitive all the time here both In character and out of character. 

I guess you are only allowed to be insensitive if you are very specific people  here. While  all others here have to think of other peoples feelings and whether they are being  insensitive or not . 

Everyone has the right to express their opinions. Even if they are incredible stupid such as the ones we've seen here. But just because you are free to express yourself it does not mean you are free from the repercussions of those words. 

This is a community that has been around a very long time and due to the nature of things on here and the internet in general we get a large variety of people. While the majority of these people are fine, there are plenty that just aren't worth keeping around. I think that it is very easy to spot who is who and when someone takes something too far. 

Report Post Tips: 4 / Total: $80,000 Tip

politics and religion can be 2 topics that are hard to discuss due to whats happening here. one guy at my work was a devoted christian which by all means good for him but when he started tp preach and almost force his beliefs to others that may not share the same beliefs  issues take place.

Report Post Tip

You may not agree with his views. But this is the Outside forum. Whatever you say here shouldn't impact you in the game. GFC, CL, Hand, Rank, etc all that shit doesn't matter on this side of the site.

Report Post Tip
I think XisXis was misusing the Outside forum to advance an agenda that debased and almost ridiculed a cohort of people likely to be an integral part of many people's lives.

FWIW, what he said for context suggests to me that he was hurting and lashing out. What he said he believed IMO wasn't actually his truth.

Regardless, I know of several MR players with family members touched by addiction. XisXis was picking a fight with those who had already been bruised by the subject matter.
Report Post Tip

This is an honest question, I've never done any hard drugs in my life, if I know anyone that has, they hid it well.  So I don't have any experience or personal knowledge of this situation.  Its not the exact same situation, but they decriminalized a lot of drugs in Oregon under the claim that people would stop buying bad product from random people and it would be safer, and most reports show the overdoses have skyrocketed. I don't think they are claiming these deaths happened in controlled facilities, but that leads to my question.

Does anyone think, making these nice, "safe", easy ways of doing it, that people who would have never trusted to put that stuff in their body will now possibly try it, and create more people dependent on it? I'm literally asking, I read this thread right now and I'll be stepping out for a minute, but my initial thought was, this would incentivize someone who was scared of getting heroin from a random guy on the corner, to possibly try it.

Report Post Tip

The issue with enacting these policies in the US is that you need to pair it with a competent healthcare system that incentivizes keeping people alive over profits and a bureacracy capable of investing in a functional treatment system without gridlocking those funds in partisan bickering and ultimately sending them 8 different ways, neither of which the country has or is capable of

Report Post Tip

Some good information found here: https://www.emcdda.europa.eu/topics/pods/drug-consumption-rooms_en

Some key things that make me a fan of supporting things like this: 

This contact has resulted in immediate improvements in hygiene and safer use for clients

This reduces behaviours that increase the risk of HIV transmission and overdose death  

A study in Sydney showed that there were fewer emergency service call-outs related to overdoses at the times the safe injecting site was open

the use of consumption facilities is associated with increased uptake both of detoxification and drug dependence treatment, 

For example, in Barcelona, a fourfold reduction was reported in the number of unsafely disposed syringes being collected in the vicinity from a monthly average of over 13 000 in 2004 to around 3 000 in 2012

In summary, the benefits of providing supervised drug consumption facilities may include improvements in safe, hygienic drug use, especially among regular clients, increased access to health and social services, and reduced public drug use and associated nuisance. There is no evidence to suggest that the availability of safer injecting facilities increases drug use or frequency of injecting. These services facilitate rather than delay treatment entry and do not result in higher rates of local drug-related crime.

Report Post Tip

As a casual drug user, I'm all for legalising drugs, and I think it's funny that conservatives generally abandon their libertarian beliefs when it comes to drugs, but not when it comes to silly little things like fiscal policy or Human Rights.

Report Post Tip

The war on Drugs is the most damaging and ineffective form of policing facing us. -vitale

The prohibition efforts of the 20th century were not about improving public health they were about political opportunities an managing "suspect populations." vitale

These quotes are from a book called  The End of Policing, chapter 7. \

The problem with drug prohibition ( the war on drugs) is that it does not work, all the studies show this.  Not to mention the fact that the majority of illegal drugs were legal at one point , even being in the prescriptions, and made illegal because of racial issues ( history look it up). 

In recent history we have big phrama like the company who made oxy's telling doctors to prescribe it aggressively because it is not addictive. And once these doctors created addicts it was too late for the medically created drug addicts they became criminals and were cut off. The inhumane way they treated these patients caused many of them to turn to heroin. 

The problem is not the addicts, the problem is policing, the war on drugs and big pharma, and misguided attacks on the victims instead of the drug pushers like street dealers, doctors doing big pharma agendas and big pharma itself. 

Report Post Tip
Like a stopped clock, a particularly badly damaged stopped clock, even Ambichous can be semi accurate, once.

It of course much bigger than that, but she has a point.

The main argument, really, is should we treat people as people with a right to life. The late XisXis was keen to performatively tough guy his supposed beliefs. Like a lot of rightwingers, he likes to see himself as ruthless and powerful. But he's dealing with his pain, much like opiod addicts.
Report Post Tip
As i have read all the statements here it look to me that this person name XisXis definantly got delt a raw deal.
Speaking in an outside thread from the game should never get anyone killed in the game.
To me he simply made a statement about a stupid government move to decrimalize a few drugs.
And then the rest of the house started talking about addictions which he never mentioned but he obvoiusly has a mind set that if it is self inflited why should the tax payer foot the bill for the addict.
Shame on all of you that jump to conclusions and forced a topic that wasn't even an original thought.

Ive been here before and i can see that stupidity still runs amok.
Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For Topics Other Than The Game (AKA Outside)
Replying to: Canada is not what it use to be. (take 3)
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL