Get Timers Now!
X

May 19 - 09:33:34
Page:  1 
Money, Power and Respect Started by: The_Messiah on Aug 26, '11 21:14

I have a question for my fellow mafioso. They say the three things that matter most to us are Money, Respect and Power... but I pose this question. Which did you lean most on?

For the older and more experienced you may provide insight on what you have always relied on more, or maybe which looked more attractive when you first came to these shores?

Would you prefer to afford as many bodyguards as the bodyguard companies could supply? Or maybe you just prefer having true respect and friends that would go through thick and thin to see you out. Maybe simply having a seat of authority over others is enough.

Obviously many strive for all of these things, and one might say these things are all crucial... but is there one more than another.

Please let me know what you think!

Report Post Tip

A good topic you have bought up here Messiah.

For me, respect is worth more than money and power put together. You can have all the money in the world or have the biggest gun ever but it doesn't win you true respect. Granted, having 500 BG's and a killer gun will force poeple to respect you, problem is that is a false respect, they don't truly respect you, they just do it out of fear. It depends on what you want, do you want a big pool of friends who like you for you or do you want to be the person who doesn't give a shit about anyone or anything because so long as you're the big balls you hold all the power? Sadly i believe having power over-rules money or respect. Without power you are nothing here, you are limited to what you can do and have to just go along with things. Money or respect can't change that.

I would rather lean on respect, it goes a long way and even after death, people will remember you for the right reasons.

Report Post Tip

True, maybe power does over rule money and respect but it seems the most fickle of the three. Power can be granted and stripped away at the wave of a hand or the pull of a trigger.

Money can also be lost quickly, and respect can certainly be lost over time... but these two take time and effort to build up often from scratch and often by the individual.

Report Post Tip

Let's break it down.

Money is quite obvious; cash or credits.

Power - what kind of power?  Who is the most powerful?  This leads to discussion.  Is a Godfather's RHM more powerful than a Capo CL?  How about a Don head of a city?  

Respect - even harder to quantify.  Some are respected by some, a few by all.  Some are respected due to the lack of respect that they have for others.

Report Post Tip

Esbebano raises some valid arguments.

It's hard to quantify and compare each of the three fairly. As Power and Respect have some degree of ambiguity to them.

But on face value. I would say Respect. This is really the corner stone to acheiving power, and then with that comes money

Report Post Tip

While 'totally' agreeing Mr PARISo`s last sentence that saying ' Respect, its the corner stone to achieving power, and then with that comes money ' , i`d like to give a little addition.

A cliche mistake is being made by many people. It`s assumed that power and money would directly bring respect. No, only thing that those two would bring is 'adulation', which`s temporary. And its being temporary seperates it from respect.

Report Post Tip

True Estebano, these things are hard to quantify, possibly because it is all relative to the person in subject.

I agree with PARISo that respect is the foundation of money and power and after listening to what all of you have said it seems that it holds more value to achieving success, as well as being held in higher regard.

Report Post Tip

Interesting the point you have made here Mr Senzafine. If power and money do not bring respect then what you could say is that respect MUST come first for a successful and prosperous future to follow?

Report Post Tip

Euphegenia listens in and smiles.

An interesting point you make my associate. Personally I believe they do all come hand in hand but money is and can be on the odd ocasion the odd one out. Just because you're powerful and have lots of respect that doesn't mean you have money too. To get money you require a big family that will work hard for you. That happens quite a lot so theres not really an example of when Godfathers haven't had much money but still.. As I said. Just because you HAVE Power and Respect. Doesn't mean you HAVE money too.

Now onto one of you other questions that others failed to notice to answer.. when my family line first came to these shores they seeked friends and respect. It took a while but in due time they came.. my line became more known. With those friends after a long time became the power that my line was given.. and with that became money and resources from my family. A fine example of them all working hand in hand. If you want my honest opinion..

She pauses for a second.

Respect is the first and formost important of the three. Others will say different but this is my opinion.

Report Post Tip

Thankyou Mrs D for your point, it seems that as you said, "A fine example of them all working hand in hand." Shows that they are all necessary and relevant for longterm success in this thing of ours. As you also stated, "Respect is the first and foremost of the three" where you gained respect first and then the others fell into place supports my query whether respect should be held as first priority and also supporting what Mr Senzafine and PARISo pointed out that "Respect, its the corner stone to achieving power, and then with that comes money"

When Cruel stated, "I would rather lean on respect, it goes a long way and even after death, people will remember you for the right reasons"

This also supports what you say when you spoke of how your bloodlines began building respect long ago. It seems power and money can be feeble with the passing of a generation, but respect can be built and nurtured through numerous bloodlines.

Report Post Tip

In reality, money is the least important as it is the easiest to gain. Respect will get you money, respect can get you power, power will get you money and power can get you respect; money can't get you respect. However it is the quest for money which tends to lead to the desire for power and respect.

Respect is the most important. If you don't have respect, power will be much more difficult to come by and almost impossible to keep hold of. With respect, power can be achieved.

Report Post Tip

I see what you are saying Ennis, the desire for money is of paramount importance in this thing of ours. That desire can often become a drive to obtain wealth... a thirst that, as you say, can spill over into the cravings for power and respect. Needless to say, you also believe that respect is the most important, despite admitting the quest for money is what truly reveals that to us.

Thanks for your contribution.

Report Post Tip

I see what you are saying Ennis, the desire for money is of paramount importance in this thing of ours. That desire can often become a drive to obtain wealth... a thirst that, as you say, can spill over into the cravings for power and respect. Needless to say, you also believe that respect is the most important, despite admitting the quest for money is what truly reveals that to us.

Thanks for your contribution.

Report Post Tip

It seem's this has been a common quandary throughout the years

Flicking through an old journal, I happened upon this poetic peace by the late Goofy. Seems these values still hold true today and they did back then.... shame it seems to have fell onto deaf ears at the time

http://mafiareturns.com/comm/thread/10434

Report Post Tip

Indeed, this has been a subject recycled and certainly queried since the first of bloodlines. Interesting to note that something taken three years ago reflects near enough the exact views and opinions that have been brought out here.

It goes to show the values we hold are deep set and have even survived today to show respect, or loyalty as it is defined in Goofy's piece, has always been looked upon as being the foundation of a successful business opportunity.

I'd like to take this time to thank those that have given their insight- from the less experienced gangsters telling their reasons and drives in this thing of ours to multiple Crew leaders and relatives of powerful bloodlines giving their own stories on how they built their businesses. I feel my question has been answered in full depth and I've been intrigued to listen to your views on this.

The_Messiah finishes speaking and inhales one last time on his cigarette. He throws it to the ground and turns, vanishing down the alleys a few feet away, lit dimly by the blue light of a full moon. 

Report Post Tip

Lean? Rely on?

LoveGun's mouth twisted in an unsatisfied way.

If ye be leanin' on any o' those, ye be settin' yerself up. They each be comin' hand in hand, power can bring ye money, money can bring ye respect and respect can bring ye power. A triple threat o' sorts. But if ye be leanin' on them, gettin' by jus' on power, money and respect tha's all yerself be worth. Ye, sure, money - power - respect will be givin' ye a cushy life, but a satisfied life?

If ye be relyin' on your power, then that's all you'll be lustin' for and may be called a tyrant. If ye be relyin' on your money, then ye be greedy. If ye be relyin' on respect givin' t' ya are you respectin' people back?

See me, I be puttin' all me worth on me skill. The lessons I have learned from me ancestors and from th' people I be keepin' 'round me have given me the tools o' our trade. This is what be gettin' me the three you list Messiah. My self worth and the worth I am t' others is not based on how much respect I have or how much money be in me account or how much power I have t' order people around. It be how I conduct business and the way I go about doin' jus' tha'.

If ye be havin' a man that is jus' lookin' for power, respect, money or all three and he be havin' nothin' more. At the end of the day, when he be stripped clean of all those things and he's jus' another man eatin' dinner with his family. Wha' be his worth? What will people be rememberin' him for or from?

'Cause he be havin' th' most protection? Everyone be havin' protection these days. Because he be havin' th' most respect? Look around ya, there are lots of men and women that be standin' in their offices in bold suits this day in age. Will they remember him for how much money he accumilated in his life time? A lot of the criminals on these streets be havin' deep pockets full of money. What makes ye stand out and be remebered is yourself, your personality and the original ideas you be bringin' t' our world.

LoveGun walked through the crowd, ready to head out, but paused for a moment.

T' be answerin' yer question directly and personally. I be havin' t' say, yes those things are important, but not th' most important things. You've got t' be startin' some where. You've got t' be havin' somethin' to actually be relyin' on t' get those three things you yearn for. Rely on yourself worth and th' skills ye be possessin'. My best advice for those who be new t' our world is, make somethin' of yourself and the benefits of standin' out from the crowd usually include, power, money and respect. This way, you'll be gainin' true respect, hard earned money that sits better in your pocket and makes you be feelin' accomplished at th' end of th' day and power that brings freedom and not suffication t' the people 'round ya.

She shrugged, satisfied with her public duty for the day. Where was that Pierce with her rum?

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Money, Power and Respect
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL