Get Timers Now!
X

Apr 25 - 22:17:32
Page:  1 2 [ > - >>> ]
Competition: King Me! Started by: Staccato on Aug 26, '22 20:14

Staccato strolls down Lombard Street, in the city and area she now calls home. As she admires the tree-lined street she passes 6th street, it is truly a beautiful district and city to call home. Her quiet calm demeanour suddenly fades away, replaced by nervous energy as she starts hearing the shouting of children playing at the playground, steps away from her. 

Nestled between 6th and 7th Street, is Staccato’s favourite destination: Starr Garden. It is the site of Philadelphia's oldest playground. Although it has already been several decades, the park is still well used and loved by the local residents. It provided a safe place for children to play, away from the dangers of the road, a novel idea when it was first introduced. Staccato takes a right and enters the space. She makes her way through the gathering crowd and walks up to the front steps of the recreational center and clears her throat.

“Ladies and gentlemen, thank you for taking the time to meet me here today, at our lovely neighbourhood park! Today we celebrate a momentous occasion. My great and auspicious leader, Sosabowski, has entered the realm of the elite and has proven himself, beyond a doubt, worthy of the title Godfather of Bella Vista!” Staccato pauses for dramatic effect and nervously waits for the hooting and hollering to die down. 

“In honour of this wonderful day, Smigly, me, and the family are announcing a competition: King Me! The great Sosabowski is an amazing general and supreme strategist. You all may wonder, where does he hone this skill? His ability to plan and execute an attack is legendary!” Staccato’s voice drops low, “never underestimate him”. She resumes the rest of the speech in a friendly tone, “Well, he doesn’t hone his skill through the plebeian game of chess, oh no, it is through the brain teasing, strategic, complex game of….Checkers!”

“So we challenge you all to a battle of Checkers! This competition will consist of brackets of one player vs another, the winner moves on to the next bracket, and ultimately the final contest. The overall Winner of the brackets stage will have a chance to challenge Godfather Sosabowski himself, with a chance to win bragging rights, and an even bigger prize! So sign up and join in the fun!!” Staccato finishes her speech and some large pieces of poster paper are handed to her. Next to the main door of the recreation center, she posts a sign up sheet and a page of details.

Competition Details

• Sign up by the end of the day on the 31st August, entries from 1 September onwards will not be allowed.
  • Please specify any availability issues or strange sleeping habits in your sign up. We will do our best to accommodate.
  • Players will be assigned opponents randomly, considering timing preferences, and a bracket will be posted here at Starr Gardens by the end of 1 September.
  • Players will be responsible for contacting and arranging their match with their opponent.
  • We have set up a couple of tables at Starr Garden for you to play your match. However, please feel free to choose another location with your opponent, as long as you both agree.
  • Declare here, or privately to Smigly or Staccato, who has won your match
  • Come back here to celebrate the successes or commiserate the losses, we are all here to have a good time!

Additional Rules/Considerations:

• Each stage will be three days long, therefore you have three days to play your match, if you do not complete your match in time, you forfeit your place in the competition.
  • If your opponent is uncooperative in selecting a time for the match, please contact Smigly or Staccato, and we will do our best to mediate or come to a resolution.
  • We advise having a witness or a photograph of the final board if you fear your opponent may disagree with the outcome. This is a friendly competition, so we hope that everyone plays with good sportsmanship!

Prizes

• First place will receive 15 credit notes, with the potential of receiving a further 10 credit notes if they win against our illustrious leader! In addition, they will receive a generous gift bag full of goodies like tokens, vitamins, and other trinkets, as a perk of winning.
  • Prizes will also be distributed to the semi-final and finalists in the form of goody bags. Depending on placement, these contenders will have the option to select which token, vitamins, and trinkets we have to offer.
  • This is a celebration, so participation is encouraged and the generosity is likely to spread beyond those who place in our competition!
Report Post Tips: 23 / Total: $460,000 Tip

Staccato had a very busy few days. After Sosabowski became the all powerful Godfather of Bella Vista, she found herself overwhelmed by the revelry and excitement, and fell into a deep sleep for a few days. During that sleep, she had odd dreams where she was a career woman in the 21st century, with all the responsibilities that entailed. It was very strange, it had felt very real, but then again, it was definitely just a dream because there wasn't a hovercar or spaceship in sight!

Shortly after she awoke from her slumber, she decided to check on the Checkers competition. As she walked up to the sign up sheet, she frowned in dismay. Only one name so far, only one brave soul offering to try his luck at this wonderous game.

Staccato looks around and shrugs, she realises that maybe this park wasn't as frequented as often as she had thought, and the competition did not manage to spread by word of mouth as she had hoped. If this competition was going to be anything, she'd have to get some flyers in the post. Staccato does the maths quickly in her head...it would take at least a working day or two for the post to be sent, arrive in the mail and read by the recipients from coast to coast. So, a sign up extension must be awarded. Also, if there isn't as much interest as she had anticipated, maybe the length of time for games to take place could be drawn out as well. Maybe that could be decided based on the number of participants.

Staccato got out a marker from her purse and edited the first line of the Competition Details.

Competition Details

• Sign up by the end of the day on the 31st August*7th September, entries from 1*8 September onwards will not be allowed.
Report Post Tips: 13 / Total: $440,000 Tip

Xkop looked and listened to Staccato's speech. Checkers, interesting - he thought to himself..

"My fellow left hand man, what a fantastic idea. It is disappointing that there has been so little interest. I have always thought checkers to be a poor mans chess but sounds like most of this place can't even play simple checkers..." He tutted to himself before continuing. 

"Consider me signed up for the festivities. I'll throw some prizes into the pot for the winner and some bonus credits if any of my Godfather Gremlin's family comes away the top prize. Of course I won't be paying myself for winning so will send the credits to the family member that does the best.."  

Xkop hangs around to see if there is any more interest and to scope his opposition.. 

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

TwenTone was going about his daily business and while passing through noticed there was a checkers tournament set to take place soon, he had no idea about how to play but had given draughts a go when he was young so thought what's he got to lose "time to shake off the cobwebs he thought to himself"

Barney had been spending so much time at children's birthday parties lately that that childhood games were always fresh in his mind. Hearing the announcement from Staccato put some pep in his step. He was excited at the opportunity to show off his newfound (oldfound?) skills. 

"Please sign me up for the competition! I would love a chance to compete. Any opportunity to earn cash in an honest way is one that I can get behind," Barney said to the workers. 

If there was one thing that the Peach was known for, it was board games made mass produced for young children. Since the age of just last month, when they were born, the sassy peach had been going around on a conquest to beat everyone at all of the newest creations by those geniuses over at Hasbro. The one game that eluded him, however, was checkers; it was like chess but with far less strategy involved, and there wasn't a single horse on the entire table.

They didn't understand and nor did they like it, but a competition was a competition and they could bring his own horse if it was really that important to them. Which was definitely something that they would be doing: a very large horse, one with a beautiful mane and hooves that would frighten even the toughest of men. What were they thinking about again? Oh, yes. Checkers.

"I can't wait to win. I'll be playing from a horse, if that's okay?"

The creature neighed behind the peach while they asked the question. If it wasn't okay, then they would need to make some sort of exception because checkers just wasn't checkers without the horsies. Or was that chess? Who cares. They would win regardless of what the game was, and that was the whole point of it all.

Report Post Tips: 3 / Total: $60,000 Tip

Over the course of the week, Staccato made her way to the park a few times a day to check in on the sign up sheet and to hear people excitedly talking about the competition. Although there were some disagreements about what the game should be actually called, apparently it could also be referred to as Draughts, but it all sounded foreign to her. Staccato was pleased that she had a few people sign up and show interest. Now that sign up has closed, she has drafted up the initial matches and she was excited to see how the matches played out. 

Staccato strides to the main door again and posts a new sheet of paper listing the upcoming matches. After checking to make sure everything was secure, she turns to the crowd and clears her throat.

“Hi everyone. Thank you to everyone who has signed up for the competition. Lots of changes have occurred in our great city in the past few weeks, but the competition and celebrations continue! I’m back again to announce the first pairings.

Unfortunately, one of those who had signed up to the competition has left these shores ahead of the competition. I wish him the best of luck in his retirement and may he find luck and fortune. Thank you to Clifford for stepping in and taking their place.

Competitors have one week to arrange and play their matches. They can choose to declare the results of their game here in this park or send a note privately to me via messengers. Results not declared by noon on 16 September will assumed to be forfeits.

Good luck to all competitors!”

Staccato grins at the crowd and cheers along with those gathered. She straightens her jacket and smooths down her hair before heading down the steps to chat with those listening.

Competition Pairings

BOYSON vs. Xkop

SassyPeach vs. PlagueDoctor

LuckyFreddy vs. TwenTone

Barney vs. Clifford

Report Post Tips: 3 / Total: $240,000 Tip
Oh snap.

I’m coming for you BOYSON.. and soon the general.

Shame my enticing offer of bumping up the PRIZES didn’t get any of my own family interested.

Let’s rock and roll and checkers and stuff.

Walking out the back door of a bar after handing off some goods, BOYSON saw a crowd gathering at the park. His curiosity grew and decided to go have a look.

As he got closer to the crowd, he realized what was happening and made his way to the paper listing surrounded by the crowd.

"Let's see.... who am I matched against?"

BOYSON is to play against Xkop for his first match. Unfortunately, he was unable to find Xkop in the crowd, so he sent a messenger to arrange the meet.

After a bedazzling show of events at the Starr Garden LuckyFreddy was down to his last game against TwenTone.

He put up all his might, even went as far to be deviously devious - but alas.

TwenTone superior ability reigned supreme. 

And after a fiery row of games LuckyFreddy had no choice but to admit defeat against the Godfather.

Xkop sighed before announcing the result, keen to get ahead of any negative press.

Yes I lost. I was grossly unprepared and BOYSON duly dealt out a lesson. A lesson in skill, tactics and most importantly humbling oneself to learn the intricacies of checkers.

However I stand by it. Chess is a real thinking mans game and I hear they are running all kinds of chess antics in Las Vegas. So consider this a public calling out to Las Vegas members. I am not afraid and nor is Los Angeles. I will take on your best chess players and I will win. I shall put my dice tournament prizes on the line!!!!! You know where to find me.

With the board set, Clifford and Barney faced off for the final match of the first round. Clifford took the opening move as the black pieces. His move was quite predictable. Diagonal! Barney pondered for a moment then moved a piece... also diagonally. Clifford responded once more by moving diagonally. You can see where this is going. This continued for several rounds of turns.

"I would like to thank my competitor, Clifford, for an enjoyable, well-fought match. He battled well, but was not able to overcome my diagonal-prowess. I look forward to my next opponent," Barney spoke to the crowd. 

Dearest Staccato.

Grateful for an update as to how your tournament is progressing .

I see I recently received some “participation trophies” from you and quite frankly I am both shocked and insulted.

I came to win it all or try really hard to.
Report Post Tip
This has been awarded an 'ACCEPTABLE' rating.

Whilst the competition did go ahead and did end with a prize being awarded to an entrant, it was elitist and overly complex.

Please liaise with the CC.

Thanks
Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $50,000 Tip

Staccato received a note from Xkop and felt thoroughly admonished for her competition delays. She took full responsibility for the slow pace of the competition, it was just so easy to be distracted these days. It is no excuse though, she straightened up the collar on her coat and prepared the next pairings.

as she approaches her normal place in front of the centre, Staccato observes a notice stating her competition was 'Acceptable'. She tilted her head quizzically at the notice. She didn't run this competition for the approval of something called a 'CC', but to celebrate her godfather. Strategy and checkers are complicated, otherwise everyone would be good at it. She shrugs her shoulders and leaves the notice, as it is a public notice board, Staccato would never disrespect others viewpoints. Her mind quickly goes back to the matter at hand. She pins the next pairings to the board and clears her throat.

"Good morning everyone. I'd like to extend my congratulations to those tho won their first matches and my condolences to those who have lost. Thank you for your patience so far and thank you to all participants for playing their respective games. You should have all received some participant prizes for the first round, just to show my appreciation for your support.

The next pairings are now posted. Please complete your games within a week, but please let me know if there is a reason this is not possible. If both games are completed early, I will expedite the final match accordingly."

Staccato motions at the notice board and grins before stepping down, heading off to grab a cup of hot chocolate nearby.

BOYSON vs SassyPeach

TwenTone vs Barney

Good luck!

Report Post Tip

BOYSON received word that the new pairings for round two has been posted on the public notice board. Excited as he is, he quickly finished his drug deal and makes his way to the park.

As he approaches the park, the crowd has already cleared off. Without any delay he walks up to the bulletin board.

"Hmmm, I gotta play against SassyPeach. This might be tough..."

Excited and a bit nervous BOYSON sends his messenger to arrange the meet for the next match.

Report Post Tip

The meet was set up quickly and both BOYSON and SassyPeach agreed to play at the park. BOYSON arrived first and boy he was nervous. He set up the checker board and some drinks then waited for SassyPeach's arrival.

A few moments later, there came SassyPeach. BOYSON got even more nervous and started to sweat. They greeted each other with a handshake and started the match.

BOYSON got to go first with the black pieces and SassyPeach responded. This went on a couple of turns and BOYSON was about to get stuck. He took a while to think of a plan, can he set a trap? Will SassyPeach fall for it? He didn't know.

BOYSON decided to go on with his plan and began to set the trap, hoping his opponent wouldn't see it. After two more moves, BOYSON was confident his plan was going to work and gladly sacrificed one of his pieces. It worked out and BOYSON managed to king twice and turned the match around, defeating SassyPeach.

They had one more drink together, SassyPeach wished BOYSON good luck for the third round and they then went their separate ways.

Report Post Tip

Barney eagerly awaited his opponent's first move. He was ready to show off his newfound diagonal-prowess. While waiting for TwenTone to make their first move, Barney dozed off. 

"How long have I been asleep?!" Barney shouted.

He perked up and realized that they had made no moves and his opponent no longer sat in the chair across from him.

"I guess that means, I win?" Barney questioned aloud.

Report Post Tip

Staccato brushes the cobwebs off her signs and posters. She grimaced as she notes how tattered they look, as she had never intended to let the competition drag on so long, so hadn't picked the most weather-hardy materials. Staccato had no excuse, her competition had been long neglected. Last week she got a note passed on from a messenger that one of her competitors, TwenTone was no longer with us. She was sorry for his passing and had been made aware that Barney was left without an opponent.

She had asked Barney and BOYSON at the park, and she noticed that they had both gathered there, sitting at a table waiting for her late arrival.

"Sorry to keep you waiting gentlemen. Congratulations BOYSON on your victory against the sassiest man I have ever known. Unfortunately, as you have noted Barney, your opponent is no longer with us. I believe it is fair that you are the winner by default. 

Congratulations to you both for reaching the final of the tournament. The winner of your game will be declared the winner of the competition and win the prize!

Best of luck on your match, may the best player win!"

With that Staccato waves and a checkers board set up at the table they were sitting around.

Report Post Tip

Shortly after sitting down with Barney at the park, Staccato arrived and announced the finale. She also had the checker board set up by her minions. BOYSON was not feeling confident about this match but he was going to try his best and may the better player win.

BOYSON shook Barney's hand and the final match started. Off they go! Who will rise as the victor of this competition?

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Competition: King Me!
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL