Get Timers Now!
X

May 16 - 02:09:53
Help
0 Watchers
Page:  1 2 [ > - >>> ]
INPUT NEEDED: Design the ideal forums. Started by: Squishy on Oct 06, '11 02:52

If you could redesign forums from scratch, what features would you find important?

Remember, this is your idea, not based on MRs, so create it from the ground up with how you feel they should be in an ideal world.

Report Post Tip

I would of course keep Streets, OOC, and outside.

A suggestion I made in the suggestion section was to had a "Preview Thread" button, so that the person creating the thread can preview how it looks to the reader before it is officially submitted. Another way around this is to let the original author of the thread be able to go back and edit his/her thread/post after it has already been submitted.

Another thing, a quote button, I'm not sure if it's already added with WYSIWYG, but there should be a quote button on every post, so if someone wanted to quote what another person said they could simply press "Quote" and it would redirect them to where they reply to the thread and what they quoted will already be implemented in their response.

If I think of anything else, I will be sure to add it.

Report Post Tip

Edit button. For the love of god!

Report Post Tip

No edit button. I'd put in a preview post button so you could see how it will look and make changes accordingly. But no edit button, as people will abuse that. You can't go back and change what you say after you say it, so since our typed words are our speech, you can't go back and untype what was already typed. The preview button should alleviate most, if not all formatting errors.

I'm not sure if this is already in place but for particularly heated discussions, sometimes before someone can finish their post, 5 other people have posted. When using quick reply, do those posts show up? Is this an ajax feature that I just haven't witnessed? If not, and it's possible to code, that would be awesome.

Report Post Tip

I used to love the old 'views' tag. at least then if no one commented on your story, you knew people had read it!

Report Post Tip

I wouldn't use an edit button, because people would change things like in message boards. But, I'll go in the line for the red and green lines like in Word Microsoft.

Report Post Tip

Like the idea of the views tag!

id also like to suggest a feature to allow the most recent post to be displayed on the first page. 

So that the first page will display the owners initial post, "welcome to dannyweeds bar, as you walk in all you can smell is the sweet scent of mary j" etc, 

then below it the 20 most recent posts...

would also make drug threads much more convienient if you did'nt have to skip through the previous 400 outdated posts..!! 

Report Post Tip

It definitely needs the back alley to be kept. Thats a great place for private roleplaying among friends.

Report Post Tip

No edit button. I'd put in a preview post button so you could see how it will look and make changes accordingly. But no edit button, as people will abuse that. You can't go back and change what you say after you say it, so since our typed words are our speech, you can't go back and untype what was already typed. The preview button should alleviate most, if not all formatting errors.

I've already seen a system which allows you to edit your message as long as nobody else has posted in the thread. Might be a solution, no ? Of course, it could still be possible that somebody tells you to change a part or something else without posting... But it's like a midway solution.

Report Post Tip

The preview addition would eliminate the need for the 'edit' as you've described it. By being able to see how it looks before it gets posted, users can make changes right away. Adding additional clauses for time or requisites that no one post in a thread before it is edited you're complicating an easy fix. An edit button is not needed.

I would further like to suggest a way to STICKY replies. For example, if we have to update a rule in the HQ, or update our structure, instead of redoing an entire thread, we could post a reply, and sticky it right under the original post.

Report Post Tip

preview option would be so welcome! Often there is ONE egregious spelling or grammar area that you miss until it's posted and then you headdesk repeatedly!

For back alley threads I would love a way to edit them only for say, shot reports or stories in progress that haven't been posted.

Report Post Tip

Ciaran, like a 'Save Draft' function?

Report Post Tip

Ideally, to me, the number of forums and the titles would remain the same, Outside, OOC, Streets... all classic, all good.

WYSIWYG is a step forward, but a confusing as hell step forward. When trying to edit my profile, for instance, WYSIWYG is more of a hindrance than a help.

No, I find myself agreeing with the call for a "Preview Post" button, so you can look and edit before posting, a save draft button would be helpful for those who, when writing a long-ish post don't simply use NotePad, a Forum Search function, where we can search by Post title or poster name... sticky reply is an excellent idea.

Some sort of "Poll" function, for OOC or Outside posts, could be useful...

More ideas as I think of them.

Report Post Tip

Reading all the above it seems theres a common thread (pardon the pun!) for a View Preview button. I'll throw my hat onto this one. as I also believe it would be a very useful and much needed addition, again the same for a draft button that can be gone back to and edited as many times as is needed. I  tend to save all the html code to big threads or threads that may need to be re-issued (crew structure etc) as a sperate doc so I can edit and repost without having to retype it all. Having a back alley edit button would save a lot of hassle on this part as I can keep it all in there

Although, i'm not in favour for an edit button once submitted into the streets, Business District etc... spoken words should remain that way. 

I'd also like the the last post to be on the first page, somewhere or somehow - no idea on how best to lay this out though, just thought i'd throw it out there. I've lost count of the amount of times i've replied to a post i've thought was the last post only to find it has another 5 pages to the topic, mainly due to carelessness on my part.. but, it would still be good to see

Maybe an invite/share button, where you can invite a person or persons to take part in a discussion or to bring their attention to it

a like/agree button for each post (anonymously) where people can garner support for a speech, idea or a discussion point. This should also act as a catalyst for spin off discussion points

A quote facility, where people can incorporate parts or whole of another post into their own post to reference or reply to it

Just throwing these out there, not thought about them much past the point of writing it, so no need to shoot them down if nonsense

More to come.

Report Post Tip

The edit button is a good idea, but bad if people end up wanting to take back what they said when they should have to live up to it.

So I think there should be an edit button, but you can only edit for like 5 minutes after posting, I know a few forums that use this. You can't always see your mistakes until a few minutes after. It is then that you realize that you didn't exactly say things right.

Report Post Tip

A counter showing how many times or visits a thread has had.

Report Post Tip

If we could ban Kuklinksi from ever writing a post again, I think that'd be a great step forward.

Report Post Tip

All that id enjoy is for realism purposes, as well as to cut down on button mashing spammerd tgat the "streets" be city specific. Its hard to grasp being in the philly streets speaking ones mind and having someone in vegas conversing in the streets with you.

Report Post Tip

Uhm, we already have a city specific forum. The Business District. The Streets being worldwide is one of the things that bring us together as a community. I've played several games where the main RP forum is city specific and well it sucked. You don't get to know anyone outside of your city.

If you want a thread specifically for the members of your city use the Business District or the Back Alley. Get the leaders of the city, or Godfather, to mail their crews letting them know where the thread is.. This also increases crew interaction and city interaction.

A preview thread button would come in handy, I agree. I dislike the idea of an edit button, as has been said.. You can't change what you say in public after it's been said. A preview thread feature would negate the need of an edit button as it gives the poster the ability to view the thread as it would be posted and make any changes they feel necessary. An edit button would be abused.

A views field would be nice, but only if it counts views by the same IP once as people will, and have, repeatedly opened a thread and closed it and reopened it just to get the views count up thinking it would get them more attention.

Report Post Tip

While the business district is city specific do you not see how having "streets" being accessible by everyone who could not be on the same street as you while thousands of miles away is a little unrealistic. It has always been the way since .org but if there would be a change that's one that would step up realism.

Report Post Tip

Help
Replying to: INPUT NEEDED: Design the ideal forums.
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL