Get Timers Now!
X

May 11 - 05:53:09
Help
0 Watchers
Page:  1 2 3 [ > - >>> ]
GAME IDEA DISCUSSION: HQ Size Started by: Squishy on Oct 17, '11 17:41

How about a feature that rides along the lines of account aging. (Thus starting the timer when you become a leader, not penalizing you for the time it takes to get there)

When you purchase your HQ, a timer is started. Every month that goes by, your HQ is reduced by 5% of size. Purchasing a larger HQ resets the timer. You can not repurchase an HQ of equal size to reset the timer.

The HQ size does not limit how many people are in your existing HQ, it only limits how many slots are available for new people. If you have a 50 man HQ with 50 members, and are reduced to a 48 man HQ, your 50 members can stay, however, no further slots are opened up until you are down to 47.

Any input?

Report Post Tip

I think this is a pretty good idea. It works well with the RP of starting a crew and growing. My only consern that comes to my mind right away is what if say your CL becomes godfather and has a full 50 man crew. Then whomever is appointed to take the 40 extra must start with the 50 man HQ and is sort of screwed because they can't buy a bigger one.

That isn't nessarly a problem though it can just be an accepted burden.

The more I think about it the more I like this Idea.

Report Post Tip

... A good way to get more money out of the game.

I think it should be added in that once you contain the biggest HQ, you can pay to keep it maintained. Otherwise, it may resort to a tactic to drop an entire crew, buy a new HQ, then invite everyone back in so that the crew can remain together.

This allows Leaders to give someone a small HQ, in order to test and gauge how successful their earnings will be, letting them build up on their own. Successful crews are able to grow larger. Failures need to be replaced.

Report Post Tip

"you can pay to keep it maintained"

This isn't designed to be a money sink, but to basically gently artificially push cycles of power, or at least the spreading out of power.

Report Post Tip

(Meaning, the CLs can clearly afford any money sink designed, so, I want to make this something that they wont be able to just throw money at it to make it go away)

Report Post Tip

Having now understood exactly what the idea is, I do have some concerns.

I'm not sure that I think it is necessarily a good idea to hinder those families who survive the longest and are therefore, most likely (but not always), the best. It seems a little unfair that they, by being the best, are the ones who are made weaker when they should get stronger.

Equally, this will probably serve to reduce the amount of NPMs that a family could use in the long run, especially those who are oldest and shouldn't be using them anyway. I like that aspect a lot.

I think what you're trying to do though, in making sure that a leader is dependent upon their direct families over the long term, could be better achieved by limiting the amount of families in any one city at any time. This would mean that a Godfather would have to keep his most capable, trusted and intelligent leaders around him and move others on, choosing who to depend upon. It would also ensure that the strongest families still succeed and they will have to fill their ranks with capable, trusted and intelligent people, rather than NPMs, to continue to be the best.

Conversely, it would mean that by only having a finite number of positions with which to fill, only the best candidates are chosen, a sense of entitlement to auth is gone, forcing people to improve, shine or take what the want. For leaders, it would be necessary to diversify and branch out, ensuring a more even spread of power and more likely increase the activity in any one era.

These are my preliminary thoughts and I know there was a suggestion about this not too long ago.

~C~

Report Post Tip

"could be better achieved by limiting the amount of families in any one city at any time."

I worry this could "lock in" the powers at the top, making it more difficult to topple them.

Report Post Tip

I share Squishys concern with that Chuckle, however, overall I do feel Chuckles point sounds like a better option.

A limit of crews per city, or perhaps citizens per city (i.e. allowing for more, smaller crews, as opposed to allowing everyone to get a 50 man HQ) could be a better answer than to enforce down sizing with age.

Could you imagine you are one of the stronger members of a family, fantastic earner, but due to a gun malfunction you end up dead, suddenly there is no space for you to return? I know this touches on the point of only keeping your strongest members, but I feel and have always felt that everyone in my family is as important as the next and would never welcome having to sacrifice someone to make room for someone else (unless IA, which obviously would be fine).

Just my initial thoughts on first look.

Report Post Tip

I have to say I do rather enjoy this idea. I may be the only one who looks at it this way, though I'm not the brightest do it's doubtful, but it adds a sense of realism to being a crewleader. Having to spend money on the space you rent out for your hq each month. You can think of it as far as a property tax type thing, or maintenance on your building. The list goes on.

The only question I have, is will it be the same for Godfathers? Or will they continue to have the smaller hqs of the city? Doesn't make much of a difference just curious.

Report Post Tip

What happens if you are at the largest HQ? How will you reset the timer?

Report Post Tip

You don't, thats the point. It forces crews that have been established for a very long time to diversify.

Report Post Tip

Someone on IRC asked something along the lines of "How does this reason out RP like?" ... the answer to that is really kind of simple, a growing leader new to the scene backs himself up by directly having a lot of muscle. These men allow him to force his way into the world of crime. As his crew ages he is getting rich and wanting to take the easy road, which means delegating. No longer having a huge amount of men under him, but having other leaders that answer to him. 

Seems to actually be logical to me. 

Report Post Tip

What does diversify mean? Smart fuckers always using fancy words, making me feel stupid.

Report Post Tip

In this case, it means they need to rely on their ties to other crews in the city to maintain their power (either by alliances, or, further spawning of additional crews). A very old CL account won't have a full size crew to rely on. Basically, they wont be putting all their eggs in one basket.

This adds a few things:
Older crews need to maintain public image and strong ties with their own city to maintain their existing power.

This results in spreading some of the power out to other crews, thus possibly empowering them to overtake, or, maintain the original leaders power.

Report Post Tip

So what happens if the said crew leader ends up disbanding for... a few weeks, then starts back up again?

Report Post Tip

Then they are a new CL with a fresh date.

Report Post Tip

I'd rather not see a hard cap on city size. A soft cap would be interesting to me though. The luxury tax in that situation could be an incrementing city hall tax based on population of a city. (ie. A tax per crime on profits to keep a large criminal organization under wraps? maybe 5% decrease in profits over 25% of total population, 10% profit decrease over 30% population,... etc.)

This shrinking of HQ size over time seems to be something that could be easily avoided if its an option to drop an HQ and then buy a new one. I just don't know if it necessarily is a good idea to limit people who get slow starts in recruiting due to when they were authed or whatever other circumstances they have.

Report Post Tip

"if its an option to drop an HQ and then buy a new one. " is a huge ballache that takes days to get your active members switched over and weeks to get all, its not not a viable solution. I don't see people doing this very often, they are too open to be shot, and most should be unwilling to drop their members and leave them exposed while everyone is offline.

Report Post Tip

It sounds like an unecessary tax on Crew Leaders.  And, it would hardly seem realistic that my walls shrink after buying an HQ.  If they do, the architect needs to be WACKED!

Report Post Tip

I find the idea interesting, in no way realistic, but a way to create some ebb and flow in the game. I have no doubt that it will be countered in all well organised citys but then atleast it will take some money out and make some changes necesary that migth still stir the top3 post up abit.

Report Post Tip

Help
Replying to: GAME IDEA DISCUSSION: HQ Size
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL