Get Timers Now!
X

May 19 - 10:02:10
Page: [ <<< - < ] 1 2 3 
These sad times. Really. Started by: Michael_Trapani on Dec 30, '11 01:52

Civilian, I used the word "pressure", not "force". I used that word because I knew someone would twist it if I had said "force". If these statements came in this order:

"Find shelter or you won't live long"
"You can join me"
"Careful how you decline"

How can this not be interpreted as pressuring the individual?

Report Post Tip

Perhaps I'm alone in this, but I interpret those aspects of the message as fairly typical Mafiosi dialogue that outline and characterize the perils of remaining sans family.

Report Post Tip

Alright Pharol... i may has misinterpreted you... as i notice you misinterpreted Ashes message. Let me point it out for you, funny how you say pressure not force. Force and pressure, are similar things in my opinion.

if you want to survive in this world, you better not go solo for long. People around here get very territorial. You better find shelter from a Mafia Boss pretty soon or you won't live long. I am feeling generous right now. Do you have questions? Do you need some basic guidance? I'm willing to buy you a cup of coffee if you want to join me. Mind you, be careful of your choice of words if you decline. I am making you an offer out of good faith, you better not make me regret it.[

Sorry Ashes for bringing this up again, but seems like i need to explain this. Ashes is just suggesting to be treated in the same respect as he is treating this person. As Crew Leader, does he really need to contact the new members? I very much doubt it, he has plenty of button men ready to contact the newlies. So why would he do it, out of pure generousity. His bloodline has been known to be generous, and this is another example of his generousity. Explaining how one should speak to a leader in such early stage of his life, to someone that is not yet employed. Not even in his own Crew... i see here no threats, just a little guidance on how one should respond to his offer. And, what this guy replies is what will have Ashes decide if he should take him/her in or not. Careful of your choice of words if you decline means... if you decline show me the same respect as i have shown you. Ashes has earned the right to demand it would'nt you say? I see no pressure here, seriously i dont. Simply put, he just demands respect. This is not blatant member whoring. This is big accusations my friend... "Blatant member whoring..." Your words if i am not mistaken.

Report Post Tip

Force and pressure, are similar things in my opinion.

Actually, force is a vector while pressure is a scalar - now that the physics is out of the way!

Different families have different recruitment styles. My ancestors leaned more towards Pharol's approach. Not for the sake of retention (which is a viable reason), but the sake of not blindly recruiting a less than desirable candidate.

It's a catch-22 really and sometimes boundaries get broken for the sake of a families growth.

Report Post Tip

Personally, I read the message as having a slightly passive-aggressive tone that leaned towards pressure towards the end - the underlying word is, personally. Nothing you wouldn't see out of your average salesman, though.

Anywho, as lively as these discussions seem to be when one takes it upon themselves to retell in what their minds is a blatantly offensive maneuver to pander or coerce people into joining their organization, like all things, it will pass, and it'll be back to business as usual. Over the past few years, the climate has slowly shifted, and, despite what I think has gradually cheapened and reversed the norm before then, (when new members were expected to put effort into their requests) it's now in most families interest to have members aggressively recruit/whore/lurk around the docks ever willing to offer "help" - whatever you'd like to call it.

Disappointing for some, occasionally embarrassing to others, but, at the end of the day.. little, if anything, changes when the bottom line stays, essentially, the same.

Report Post Tip

Hearing raised voices and seeing such a large gathering, Chico pauses, sparks up a Lucky and takes a place towards the back of the heaving throng.

Recollecting family tales about recruitment, passed on from one generation to the next, Chico muses over the terminology used by the speaker. Gathering his thoughts, Chico takes his turn on the podium.

Member whoring has always seemed a rather strange title to me when used as a derogatory term for recruitment, forced or otherwise.

When our forebearers first arrived on these shores they were cold and hungry and in need of a place to stay. A friendly arm around the shoulder or a well versed wake up call explaining the harsh realities of potential opportunities for those new to immigrant life would certainly have been a most welcome alternative to 48hrs of purgatory followed with a set of cement shoes.

I guess that the majority of us on this street are relatively fortunate, having the experiences and tales of this way of life being passed on to us from previous generations. We have become wise to the mongers of doom and exploitation and no longer need the shoulders of the kind to lean on, at least not immediately at any rate....

We, then, have become rather cynical and unappreciative of the business cards which are surreptitiously slipped into our pockets. We don't really want them and we often don't really need them.

Strangely though, it is we who may become the whores at this point, selling ourselves via our knowledge and experience to the 'right' family in order to fulfil the ambitions of our forefathers (and mothers of course).

Yes, member whoring. Wierd turn of phrase in my opinion....

Chico nods his appreciation to the attentive crowd and retreats back to the rear of the gathering.

Report Post Tip

You know... at this point in time, I'm wonmdering if Pharol doesn't have a personal issue with me since this is not the first time he choses to pick apart something I said in the streets when I don't notice him half as verbose when addressing opther people. This is of course a perception and may be wrong...

First, I don´t recruit any more. I have sponsors to do that. that is what I *used* to say when I was a mere sponsor.

Second, notice the subject line in my message? This guy ASKED for a recruitment letter.

Third, I said "join me", not "join my crew". I was inviting him to a fucking cup of coffee noy for him to marry me. Yoiu never heard the expression "Do you want to join me for a cup of coffee?"? If you read too much into the expression, it's not my problem.

This message is intended for new bloodlines, since returning bloosline already know how things work here and don't need my guidance.

Maybe you wanna try to tone yourself down when talking to me, I've already taken enough crap from you. Feel free to question and ask for clarification but stop twisting my words, mm´kay?

Oh, and thanks for all the other less biased people who were able to understand what should have been pretty plain to see. Your words were kindly appreciated.

Report Post Tip

I have no personal issue with you, Ashes. And if you're really concerned that's the case here, we can discuss such matters in private. As to the actual topic, I'll respond to each of your points.

First, I don't like the idea of the copy/paste (excuse the OOCitis) recruitment letter. So perhaps I am biased against it.

Second, I feel like this is a very peculiar circumstance. The person asked for a recruitment letter? Theoretically they're used for starting conversations with folk, but in this case a conversation was already started and he just wanted it? Weird.

Third, I find what you said and "Do you want to join me for a cup of coffee?" to be two different phrases. I could get into the semantics of it, but it would end the exact same place we started.

I personally believe I held my tone quite politely. I'm sorry you interpreted them in such a... hurtful manner.

Report Post Tip

The individual was standing in the coffee shop we know as #divinelunacy and asked for a recruitment letter to attempt to spoof in the Streets. This thread is that attempt. The attempted sarcasm was lost for most readers/listeners who did not have previous knowledge this post/speech was coming. I just want to clarify that before you continue to question how this letter came to be public knowledge. 

I cannot lie, I am slightly impressed with how you have conducted yourself after your first attempt at this conversation. You are entitled to your opinion, no matter how wrong it may be.  :) 

Report Post Tip

Just a little addition to this.. I've been on these shores for a fair while now and haven't received ONE "whoring mail".

Can't be THAT rife.

Report Post Tip

i have to agree with Teq ive yet to recieve any either

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: These sad times. Really.
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL