Get Timers Now!
X

May 17 - 05:42:13
Page:  1 2 [ > - >>> ]
What Would You Do? Started by: Wisdom on Jul 31, '12 12:23

OK fellas, listen up.  We're gonna do a thought experiment here.

Let's imagine that you are the only Godfather across the cities of this thing...

What would you do?  What would you change?  How would you like to see things being done?

I'll start...

I'd extend the -48 ban to 5 days.  After they're Earner, they're fair game.  Before that?  They get left alone or else their assailant gets punished.

And another thing...  I'd operate an eye for an eye policy.  Some low level guy shoots at another family's guy?  Well, forget the financial compensation - you have to choose one of your guys to even the score - or else the assailed gets to take his pick.

OK, fellas at this here bar, what do you think?

Report Post Tip

You'd think that with "thought" being involved, you'd maybe engage your brain even a little?

Please, explain to me how this is appropriate

Some low level guy shoots at another family's guy? Well, forget the financial compensation - you have to choose one of your guys to even the score - or else the assailed gets to take his pick.

Lets look at that scenario logically. Say I have an issue with someone, say MikeHunt (purely because he's your CL). In your theory it would be easy for me to recruit a friend into making his way into Mike's HQ, with the sole reason that he will then take a shot at someone, maybe even me if I know the risk of him hitting me is 1%. In your scenario you suggest that I, the target of the aforementioned attack that I could easily have orchestrated, now get to choose which one of Mike's guys I want to shoot at?

That sounds logical to you, does it? Honestly?

One of the main problems we have in this world is that everyone thinks they have the next big idea that could be implemented, when sadly a lot of the time they don't put enough actual though into the mechanics of the idea. You have to remember who we are and what we do for a living, lieing and manipulating is common place and so procedures that can be easily exploited are never ever going to work.

Whilst I agree financial compensation isn't something I agree with for anyone under the rank of Made Man, I personally find it difficult to dismiss the use of it entirely as often genuine mistakes do happen and a financially penalty is much easier to settle with, than the needles death of someone that might very well have put in a lot of hard work for you.

Lets review your other suggestions:

I'd extend the -48 ban to 5 days. After they're Earner, they're fair game. Before that? They get left alone or else their assailant gets punished.

So, do you suggest we leave them without a family/crew for the duration of this 5 day period? And what are you going to do when deaths begin to mount up. Do you think every single W/S reaches the person that is looking for it? How would you ensure the safety of these people? What is the benefit for the criminals of our world, why would they want to be without a family for that length of time? If you can't make your choice within 2 days, its not the right life for you. There is no fence sitting around here, pick and side and get working for them to prove yourself.

If you want more time to make money, just say so. Go find a family with the lowest taxes as if money is your only goal then what does it matter who you join?

Just my thoughts on your suggestions. Whilst I appreciate your effort, I can't help but suggest more time be put into them in future as in my opinion, which is all this is, your ideas weren't practical for our life.

Now I know you could bat the ball straight back at me and ask where my suggestions are; I'm not here to suggest life changes, I'm here to do what my leader needs me to do and thats it. If I had the notion to start making changes, Id start making moves to climb a ladder somewhere to get myself into that position to bring any such ideas to fruition. This is something again I sadly feel you won't manage, though I would love to be proven wrong on that.

Report Post Tip

Tyrion (nice choice - not fooling anyone)

Please, explain to me how this is appropriate

Some low level guy shoots at another family's guy? Well, forget the financial compensation - you have to choose one of your guys to even the score - or else the assailed gets to take his pick

This is "appropriate" because it is a fresh idea and would make things pretty darn interesting.  It's "appropriate" because, if you haven't noticed, there are dozens or armed hotheads in these cities.  It is "appropriate" because I am answering my own question about potential changes.  It is "appropriate" because the same thing has been done for a very long time.  That's why.  Clear enough?  I hope so but will do what I can to break it down further, if necessary.

Now "lets review" (sic) my other suggestion.

Again, it's about trying something new.  Leave a guy till he's an Earner.  Why not?  Let's see how active he is before taking him on.  War breaks out?  Maybe he wants a few $$$ for his services.  Whose side is he on?  Makes things interesting.

Now, I appreciate *your* effort, but how about actually *suggesting* things instead of leaping blindly onto the bandwagon of hate and spilling bile?

Here endeth the lesson from Wisdom.

Jah bless.

Report Post Tip

How would you legislate for said earners walking around our streets carrying a gun, popping people?

Report Post Tip

Someone with some skillz could easily have a gun with 40 notches on it, now that won't worry the higher ups however it has the potential as a goomba to hit say a wise guy maybe with a good wind even a made man.

Report Post Tip

Well, what's the difference between them doing that unsponsored?  They'll die...  The end result is the same, no?

Report Post Tip

Now, I appreciate *your* effort, but how about actually *suggesting* things instead of leaping blindly onto the bandwagon of hate and spilling bile?

I don't leap onto bandwagons, or any wagons for that matter. Sadly due to my stunted growth such actions are outwith my ability.

Please do direct me to any bile that escaped from me, I'm unaware of any. I've simply given some honest critique to your suggestions. I know its hard for you to understand that not everyone has the same thought process as you, I would expect though that if you are inviting suggestions that you are open to criticism and questioning on these suggestions. If not, where is the point in them? If you have no interest in other peoples opinion, why ask for it?

Like I said, i'm not here to form suggestions of my own. I happen to enjoy life as it is, sorry to burst your bubble sugar plum. Please now attempt to actually give logical explanations to balance your argument, other than "it'd be interesting"; Why would it be interseting? Interesting to who? What makes it interesting?

Report Post Tip

Well, what's the difference between them doing that unsponsored? They'll die... The end result is the same, no?

No it is quite different. When said shooter is in a family they have other considerations when they aren't then they have no loyalty at all.

Report Post Tip

Tyrion - why don't you have suggestions?  Do you lack vision?

Isiah - spell out the differences, please? 

Report Post Tip

Lack of vision? Hardly.

Ideas above my station? Thats your area of expertise, it seems.

Report Post Tip

Who asked about ideas above your station?  Are you hearing things again?

You think it's funny that I wackbacked on Abe?

Report Post Tip

Insert random comment whilst ignoring questions passed in my direct.

Report Post Tip

Some youngsters don't even come close to understanding this thing we do in 2 days, how do you expect them to know what family they want to join by then?

I do agree though, that 5 days or Earner is a bit long.

And with that, Outkast downs his drink and heads out the door.

Report Post Tip

They will only learn the hard way without the help of a family/crew. Its not like they can really 'shop' for a family. Maybe if there was a way to differentiate the 'new blood' from the 'decendants of old bloodlines' maybe we could make allowances for unintentional ignorance, but that is between them and 'God'.

Report Post Tip

There is no rational reason to change the rules in place now.  But is that reason enough to NOT do something?

Report Post Tip

Interesting ideas.  I like 'em!  But if I were Godfather I think I'd make these changes:

i'd make sure that every city had at least one family.  Certainly leaders would have to be chosen very carefully, but I don't like to see a lot of empty cities.  I think DS is working on getting the cities filled, and I'd definitely make it a priority too.  And in conjunction, I'd set limits on the number of families that each city could house. 

I'd get rid of these pickpocketing rules.  All these pickpocket friendly signs, and no pickpocketing signs...they'd be a thing of the past, and so would the disputes that arise.   I think leaders have to spend too much time resolving disputes related to pickpocketing.  I'd make a standard rule: Don't bother the GF with pickpocketing disputes.

I'd institute some real rules re: ranking beyond WiseGuy.  Many families do that now, but I'd ensure that there were 'standard operating procedures' in all cities re: when it's appropriate to give somebody their button.  Some families do that now.  Others do not.

So, maybe these aren't new or creative, but these are the things I'd do if I were Godfather.

Report Post Tip

The only part I agree on is an aspect of the eye for an eye policy. Last time anybody in my bloodline was in a position to be aware of anything involving punishments (it was sooo long ago) if somebody from my crew was shot at, my CL would go to the shooter's CL and the shooter's CL either shoots the guy or pays compensation. I always thought, that if the punishment is going to be death, a hitter from the VICTIM's family should be the one to kill the offender.

I also have to agree that 5 days is too long and the 48 hours is more than enough.

And Wisdom, please try to honor your nickname. Tyrion's first message might have been a little harsh, but he certainly didn't reach the point of being offensive and everything you said afterward was basically an "it would be interesting" variation. Just take the criticism with some grace and allow people to have their own opinion without feeling "hated on".

Report Post Tip

Good man, Aidan.

Report Post Tip

Well, I'll start off by saying what I would do if I were in charge:

I would make it so that anybody below the rank of Made Man would be able to only respond to the speeches of others and not have the ability to make on. For those who think that this conflicts with the so called 'freedom of speech', well, we ARE the mafia and if you feel you have something important to say, find somebody who trusts you enough to make you a full member of his Family and the open your trap. Till then you should be content responding to the words of others.

Secondly, I would probably reduce the duration of the protection offered to the new entrants into this world of ours to 24 hours, I know this is in direct conflict with what you have said, Wisdom but I believe they have it pretty darn easy already and a shortening of this period of protection would accelerate their learning process by lighting a proverbial fire underneath their asses.

Now moving on to what the others have put forward,

I think my view of the extension of the grace period is rather obvious here.

The eye for and eye policy, I find it to be an extremely easy thing to exploit as Tyrion has pointed out so cleverly. I believe that these kind of incidents should be approached on an incident by incident basis because each of these shootings while similar on the outside may have some hidden variables. I refuse to believe that every time some shoots somebody else its always for the same reason.

Report Post Tip

Firstly I would have a family in each city, if a the head of that family dies for whatever reason then a family should be in place within 24 hours. So if you war a city you have to be prepared to auth someone in that city straight away rather than the months of politicians gettting their grubby hands on what is ours.

I echo what was said on pickpocketing, there should be no rules. That also should apply to mugging no rules, you decide to pickpocket you face the consequences. I personally think the 48hours is fine.

In response to what Mr.Flea put I would have to respectfully disagree, if you leave it to just Made Men to spark a debate the streets would be dead, getting to the esteemed rank of Made Man does not mean that all of a sudden your going to be an amazing street speaker. Some people have the knack others don't.

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: What Would You Do?
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL