Get Timers Now!
X

May 03 - 23:13:14
Page:  1 2 [ > - >>> ]
GAME CHANGE: Privacy Policy For All Players Started by: Squishy on Aug 24, '12 00:03

To stop a very worrying trend, we are creating a new policy to stop the demands on users to provide personal private details in order to play the game.

Demands to provide any private information for identity verification purposes is off limits.

Demands to provide screenshots or copy/pastes of any information that is not publicly viewable.

Demands to provide 3rd party messenger names for verification (aim/icq/msn and so on)

Demands to provide IRC verification of IRC connection info (hostmask/ip/gecos/ident and so on.)

Violation of the above policy will result in termination of the offending member, and/or upper structure of the family depending on the position of the offender.

There is a lot of grey area here, I know this... so I hope that cooler heads prevail and this policy never has to be enforced. It is not to be used as a weapon against crew leaders, it is simply a way to retain your personal privacy without intimidation or extreme consequences by saying no.

Report Post Tip

Fair enough, but to get this correct. If I were LHM to someone, and my CL broke this police. I'd also lose my account because of it?

Report Post Tip

Not unless you were doing it too. If your CL asks if of you, inform them of the rule, if they insist, bring it to an admin. Just like any rule.

Report Post Tip

Literally never, in the years I have been playing, have I joined a family and not had someone ask me who I was previously.  If I am playing this game, I am going to ask my family to come on IRC... since I happened to ask some assholes who were about to rogue, I have been accused of "being the first one" to ask people to come on IRC to see who they are.  I have logs of at least 3 of the people who I have seen complaining about being asked to come on IRC asking me to get my members to come on IRC for this exact same reason.  Multiple times probably.  I was yelled at for not having that done previously with people who ended up being rogues in my family, by the people who are currently complaining about this.

Literally people have been doing this for 10+ years..... only right now, the people who know enough to know better ... and were the people doing it most often, are the ones complaining.. somehow that constitutes a new trend? 

It is very unlikely that the admin team will institute a policy that will keep me, as a leader, from asking people to tell me their previous acounts.  People can refuse, and be incog, and that is fine with me.   If they seem shady... I might just tell them to fuck off and find another crew leader.  I just don't want to be lied to. If I am playing in a family, even if I am not a sponsor, I will ask my family to come on IRC.  It is better for building a strong family, and I am going to continue it, if i am going to play.

Report Post Tip

Jenifer you can still ask for past character names, i've alwasys been asked for such and always provide the names if im not going Incog. This is too stop people from asking for "proof" of past names.

Report Post Tip

yeah, I have already been accused of that just for asking a couple of morons to come on IRC after they were a part of my family.  I also, do not care at all about asking for proof.  I find it to be more than a little bit bullshit that the only reason this is suddenly an issue, is because some of the most prolific users of these methods, are now complaining that its happening to them.

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

Calling people "morons" because they were offended by your request for them to join IRC is a fantastic example to set. I am sure it makes people have nothing but fond feelings for you Ms. Government, not to mention the effect it will have upon your reputation as a "prolific player" and the city you represent.. As OOC as this topic may be you know full well OOC is just as much a part of the game as IC.

Maybe if more people were more concerned about who the character is and less about who the person behind the name is/was/could be and other names they may have used changes like this to privacy policies wouldn't be necessary.

Report Post Tip

I am calling them morons, because I later found out their identities, and I know them to be morons.  Each has spent the better part of the last month trashing me at every opprotunity, in game and out.  I am not mentioning names, they know who they are, and it likely has nothing to do with you, and nothing at all to do with the validity of my responses.

Report Post Tip

I don't think this is a case of preventing you from requesting people to come on IRC as a general thing, or a prevention measure to stop you from asking for previous names. The point is that it had escalated to the point where people were being asked for screenshots of their previous accounts, email addresses, real names. I think it's clear to see that it was time to nip this in the bud before it continued on a downward spiral.

Report Post Tip

I have a clarification request, as it has become somewhat common. I personally have no shame in my past but I can see people wanting a fresh start so here where you said

Demands to provide any private information for identity verification purposes is off limits.

Does this apply to demanding peoples previous game screen names before allowing them into your crew/family?

Report Post Tip

Sure, but screenshots are too much.  Just understand how much of a quack/asshole some people appear when they keep badgering an actual real new user for previous names when there are none, or when you are not satisfied with the answer provided.  That level of paranoia really sets the tone of how new players, and returning players perceive your family.

Lets keep the paranoia down, the creepiness down, and the general distrust of anyone who had the misfortune of signing up for the game and ending up in your proximity.

Report Post Tip

Ok, I have read absolutely 0 of all the responses to this thread but does this mean someone could get DD'd for asking me my previous char names?

Report Post Tip

No.

Report Post Tip

Can i ask for a blood test

Report Post Tip

lol

Report Post Tip

But how are we suppose to get peoples home address and bank account details now? :P joking i think its a good idea especially if you haven't had much luck and want to start fresh! nothing worse than having people bug you for previous names. its ok to ask but like you say the paranoia is getting beyond a joke!

Report Post Tip
Welp, that is just depressing... I was hoping to get Sirius DD'd.... ok, no I really wasnt, he is an amazing CL but I was looking for a set up for my next question.

Why would this even need to be a rule? The current number of CL's at least suggests that if someone ever needs to not bow down to a CL's idea of 'proving themselves', they would definitely find someone more accommodating to their particular proclivities. This just seems like another path to curtail the power of CL's and to make certain whiny bitches who enjoy reporting people more powerful to me.

P.S: I apologize if I seem rather out of it.... I honestly am....it has been ages since I played MR seriously and this seems like the only major change made in my absence.
Report Post Tip

leaf

This just seems like another path to curtail the power of CL's and to make certain whiny bitches who enjoy reporting people more powerful to me.

Any crewleader that is demanding email verification, phone verification, whatsapp verification, screenshots and so on... thats a little much don't you think?  This game should never be the gastapo asking for your papers, and if you cant produce them to their likings, no mater how authentic they are, you die.... thats not where we want the game to be, is it?

Report Post Tip

Demands to provide screenshots or copy/pastes of any information that is not publicly viewable.

A bit off topic from the intent I'm sure, but this includes screenshots of personals and such as well then?  I've been away a while, but I do recall that being a thing, CL's asking you to screenshot your personals as proof of one thing or another that you're claiming to have seen or done, or not done. 

Report Post Tip

There goes my stalking plans :-(

Report Post Tip

News & Announcements
Replying to: GAME CHANGE: Privacy Policy For All Players
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL