Get Timers Now!
X

May 19 - 11:25:11
Page:  1 2 [ > - >>> ]
End of the Player Commission - Feb 14th. Started by: Squishy on Jan 21, '13 01:48

We had started the Player Commission with the goal of bridging the gap between raw ideas that are submitted by players, and the end result of getting the best of the player ideas implemented into the game in a viable way. The PC has been a success, but at too great of a cost. We got a lot of great ideas fleshed out, but the price of adding a layer of stress to the entire process for everyone involved. It's great that a lot of people (myself included) are willing to stick to their guns on their ideas and opinions, however, sometimes when a debate goes on for too long - it seems that it continues at the personal expense of those involved.

I think we will be better off without labels and without positions and to just let the suggestions forum get molded into good ideas in an unofficial way. As much as I have enjoyed the PC, I can't sit back and watch the obligations of the PC members cut into their general enjoyment out of coming to this game.

With that being said, it has been great working with all of you, I am honored at your time and dedication you guys put forth to make this game better. But with all good things, they must come to and end. The PC will close its doors Feb 14th.

Thank you,

Scott

Report Post Tip

"when a debate goes on for too long"

I would end that sentence with "people that are in a specific role need to remember that and not engage in endless debates and just state their own position and let the rest do the same without having to argue every word and try to convince the others".

But of course, I am talking out of frustration because I see the end of something I was enjoying.

I can't help but feel that because of 4 or 5 people, a whole project gets shut down.

Report Post Tip

"I can't help but feel that because of 4 or 5 people, a whole project gets shut down."

There isnt anything or anyone to blame. The end result is that its important to me that the people who put in the time and effort into this game get rewarded with enjoyment. When processes become actual "work", and then on top of that tedious and stressful, its time to reevaluate things.

I know what what situations you are talking about, but believe me when I say this, that played just a small part in the overall decision. I just really want everyone, including myself, to have a little more fun and a little less frustration on a daily basis, and I think that is easier to do if everyone takes unofficial roles, this way people can choose when to participate and when not to, its no longer out of obligation, and on the other side of the coin they can then hold other people accountable for their actions and attitudes towards them. It's not a good feeling seeing PC people take a lot of shit when they are just trying their best.

Report Post Tip

Fair enough. Thank you for your reply.

Report Post Tip

I feel in the end this is the best decision really Squishy.

Report Post Tip

I don't think there's much benefit to dwelling on possible specifics (people, incidents, etc) behind this decision, but I will say that I whole-heartedly support this move.

I appreciate those in the PC who have been able to put objectivity and commmunity/game benefit before their personal preferences to make possible some brilliant game changes. It's a difficult, often thankless and unenviable job.

Report Post Tip

Sad to see this come to an end after such a short life span. I respect your reasons why, only feel disapointed that people have become abrassive to the PC, or the PC felt like it was a job. The majority of the PC did a fantastic job and helped mold some solid changes to the game. Thanks to them for putting in the extra effort, and I hope they'll still work on things with the admins unofficially as time moves on.

Report Post Tip

I think the PC was good as things actually got implemented that might have taken forever before.. but at the same time you give people different accounts,responsibility, and a voting system that is based on popularity to get into the position and it only leads to hurt feelings and too much stress like it looks like it did.

Good decision to shut it down..I just hope the system stays in place for future ideas etc as things really have happened lately more than before in term of small changes etc

Report Post Tip

Granted I only saw the system work for a little bit, but on paper it seemed like a great idea. It just seemed to add a bit too much red tape to the process for me though.

It would be nice to see a comment from some of the PC members and their views on the closure though.

Report Post Tip

While I can see where Squishy is coming from, I have to say that I am extremely disappointed by this.

As a PC member, I loved my extra role within the game. I loved the extra involvement, the responsibility and more than anything else, I loved reading the views and ideas of the user base. It's always interesting to see other perspectives, how others see the overall landscape of the game and how they would like to improve it. Yes, there was a workload involved with the role, but we all knew that when we nominated ourselves.

However, in recent weeks, it had begun to dawn on me that things may not work out in the long term. I hadn't voiced this to anyone; instead, I decided to wait and see how the land levelled out. I did not expect this announcement in the slightest. Nonetheless, I did notice how discussions often became too bogged down either by politics or simple disagreement, not to mention the issue of several others, which had been passed, but remained in limbo due to the necessary action not being taken on them. It was barely 24 hours ago that I decided to volunteer in order to help clear this backlog and I will stand by that for the remaining duration of the PC so that we can finish at least some of the work we started. I also considered that perhaps a little more tact and diplomacy could have been employed in some instances - I will admit that things like this irked me a great deal and often made me reluctant to become involved in discussion.

I did think that improvements could have been made in order to improve the PC as a whole. My only regret is that I did not choose to vocalise my thoughts sooner. The last thing I expected, or wanted, was to see the project being shut down altogether, especially because people feel that their contribution to the PC was compromising their enjoyment of the game. If that were the case for me, I would simply have stepped down, but I am not in a position to speak for everyone and I respect the feelings of others who experienced this.

All that remains is for me to say that I am very, very grateful for the opportunity to work on the PC with everyone else. It was a wonderful opportunity for me to become more involved in a game that I spend a ridiculous amount of time enjoying. I took a great deal from the experience, not least being the chance to learn a great deal more than I knew before by listening to the other PC members and users. That was a privilege and I certainly didn't take it for granted, especially given my relatively short lifespan on MR as a whole.

Thank you, Squishy, for the opportunity and thanks to all those who voted me on. It is appreciated. For the final weeks of the PC's existence, I'll be sure to put in as much effort as I possibly can so that we can glean maximum benefit from it before it disappears.

Report Post Tip

I will be honest, I haven't read most of the PC threads, only checked to see what was passed or not.  I understand the admins reasoning, but I do think overall, the suggestions that have been put forward to the administration for coding have been very good changes.  I just want to make this an opprotunity to thank everyone who has worked on the team to discuss and vote on suggestions.  I appreciate everyone who took the time to read my opinions when I chose to speak in suggestion threads, and I want to thank the admins for giving the users the chance to help implement some really awesome changes to the game. 

Report Post Tip

NOOOOOoooooOOOOOoooooo why did this have to happen *cries a little.*

Report Post Tip

It would be nice to see a comment from some of the PC members and their views on the closure though.

I can't begin to express how deeply disappointed I am at the closure of the PC. However, like LilacDelaney before me said I respect the position that others have seemingly felt themselves to be in and can see why Squishy has elected to close the PC down. I really enjoyed working in the PC team and will continue to offer to help as often as I can.

I too would like to thank not only Squishy for creating the PC and giving it a shot, but also the users of MR that voted me into it to begin with. These past months being in the PC team has greatly improved my MR experience, for someone so long in the tooth it can become quite tiresome coming on and doing the same things each day, the PC afforded a new lease of life and sort of freshness. As many will already know I was often in and out of the suggestions forum before hand anyway whilst on my characters account, but being there as a member of the PC give it much more of a rewarding feeling as it meant that I could actually give support to an idea that I believed to be good for the community, it wasn't just my words I was able to attach but actually putting myself out there and sticking my name against it as one of the possible 5 supporters allowed me to feel satisfied that I had done something to help move that idea forward.

I truly hope that sometime down the line another project of this nature is done, even if in a much less recognised capacity so as not to put any strain on the members of the team or the community.

Report Post Tip

after reading the latest by PC spikespiegal and others I am glad this will be removed.. I hope the game will not suffer but redacted text and other issues making way more headway than the issues at hand to fix the game and additions and some people go a little crazy with a little power

Report Post Tip

The truth is whenever you have players involved a certain style of play or attitude exists, i know i have my ways the game would go forward and others feel the same.  This will always be the difficulty for a player and admin to seperate in some cases.

Report Post Tip

the redacted text has nothing to do with power going to anyones head.

Report Post Tip

Thanks for the post Tyrion.

Report Post Tip

It was an honor to work with you all.

-Mike

Report Post Tip

T'was fun. I'm glad my name was mentioned here. And I guess since it's over I can change my tone a bit more since it's over and all... If you don't know what's going on behind closed doors, but you know things are going on, it's best to mind your own business until it becomes your business. We were heavily stressed abiding by our rules, and if you coudln't get it into your head that something as simple as redaction was something that we needed as a tool to deal with our internal stress, then there is something inherently wrong inside of you. Of course, I'm not being specific to anyone in that statement.

One of the rules of PC was that users would have to be respectful to us. However, this was broken numerous times. I recieved several mails that were absolutely disrespectful, and I know others on PC did too. Mentioning my name specifically, misspelled, goes further to show that you had not even a  crumb of understanding of what our job was *for* you, and what was expected of you as a user when dealing with us.

To note, our power was only words. Our job was to argue, sometimes good things and sometimes bad things. If you couldn't handle that, and were offended by that, that means we did our job right because clearly your idea wasn't worth a damn if it was being trashed. 

There were many positives that came from PC, but it did become passee after a certain point. I will miss some of it, but I think the masses of users couldn't handle people with faces arguing them. Whereas, (most people) would never dare speak to us the way they would to an admin.

Thank you to those who were respectful, and did present fruitful and intelligent ideas. You are what makes the game good in the end, and I enjoyed discussions with you. 

P.S. Thank you to my fellow PC members who endured and worked their asses off to try to make things work, especially the beautiful Cassi.

Report Post Tip

The PC was meant to represent the users, not belittle them. Your attitude is evidently wrong from your final post and when you decided to abuse the redaction facility to intentionally annoy the users you were meant to represent, I'm not really surprised you came in for criticism.

Far too much bullshit surrounding what the job of the PC actually was, which was meant to be simply discussing and developing ideas for inclusion into the game. This is hardly the Herculean task you're making it out to be and considering the PC membership got paid for their contribution, it was hardly a thankless role either.

Report Post Tip

News & Announcements
Replying to: End of the Player Commission - Feb 14th.
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL