Get Timers Now!
X

May 12 - 05:40:53
Page:  1 2 [ > - >>> ]
Flip flopping families Started by: Antonio_Macelli on Oct 25, '08 18:01
Antonio_Macelli is walking slowly down the sidewalk listening to all those who have been sharing their opinions. Eventually he finds a small group of mafioso standing around doing nothing, so he steps up onto a soapbox to respond to some of what he's heard today.

I believe the flip flopping is a bad way to live life. If you commit to a family, any family, you should be willing to die for them. They give you a gift. The head of the family offers to you protection from death, they offer you a place to lay your head and the food that you eat. A place to do your job, run your business or turn tricks. Those mobsters that jump ship and buy out of their families need to learn what loyalty is. They will quit the family and proclaim their loyalty to another boss the next day.

I understand that I am still relatively new to these shores. I am of the third generation my bloodline has had on these shores. I am still learning, but my grandfather and father also taught me much. We have been through two families and have died in two wars. My grandfather and father were both Made Men in their respective families and though the turn of events that caused the wars were unknown to them at first, both of them chose to stand by the family and die with them rather than turn tail and run. My father's boss even offered his family members the option to leave, knowing that they had not chosen the path that the family was going down.

Family loyalty is the mafia, that's how it works. If you make a mistake and join the wrong family, then you probably should have checked into the other families before you joined. You can listen to speeches in the street, you can talk and listen in the coffee shops, you can talk to people on OOC Avenue, and you can check with other mobsters. There are many ways for us mafioso, especially those whose bloodlines have been around, to check up on who is in a family and what is happening in that family. Educate yourself, make a decision, stick with it.

Antonio then steps down and steps back toward the back of the crowd, offering others the option to step up and share their piece of mind, interested in what they think.
Report Post Tip
I think you should have read what Gambino said.
Report Post Tip
Antonio, you make a great point. It is not okay to jump around to different families. As a young gangster, it is up to you to check out the different leaders, and see which one you want to join. Once with a family, you should stick with them, and show your loyalty. Requesting to leave a family is a sign of disrespect, and is not acceptable. It is one thing if you are offered a higher position such as RHM, but not okay if you just don't like your family.
Report Post Tip
Well said Antonio.

Even though your bloodline is new to these streets, you speak with wise words as if your bloodline has been around here forever. Maybe you can teach these older bloodlines (names not necessary) this important concept since I, and others, witness this "flip-flopping" before and after Doyle's war.
Report Post Tip
Well said Hayley. It's okay if the CL wants you to go and help someone he just authed...things like that. But for no other reason is it okay or should it be taken for anything other than a show of disrespect.
Report Post Tip
I agree wholeheartedly. Joining a family creates a sacred bond between you and the boss which should never be broken without the bosses' permission, and permission should not be asked unless you have a damned good reason. You aren't just there because it's mutually convenient, ready to jump ship if a war starts or you hear someone else has a lower tribute.

I'm not just saying this, either. Recently my loyalty was tested. A good friend of my bloodline was given the greatest of honors, and authorized to set up a family. I would have been welcome in that family. However, I didn't ask about such matters, and did not pursue them. It was not my place to do so. When I joined my current family, I made a solemn pledge to it, offering my services as necessary until death. In exchange, my life is protected. Family is bigger than fleeting desires of the moment. Your family is part of your life, and why you are alive.
Report Post Tip
Cassidy, you also make a very good point about jumping ship during a war. And yes, many of us witness that going on in the recent war, and in the past. When you join a family, it is supposed to be until death. Your leader welcomes you into their family, provides you with a home and protection, and people repay them by deserting them in a war. To me, being in a family means helping out any way you can, even in bad times.
Report Post Tip
Antonio, I just spoke out a couple streets over when Gambino was speaking to this very subject. I don't mind saying my opinion again. Flip flopping families, peace time or war time, is downright disrespectful and unacceptable. My fathers before me have made one mistake or another, but it sure as hell wasn't disloyalty to the Boss or flip-flopping.
Report Post Tip
My entire family is full of sailors who wear flip-flops on deck. Some of you might call them "sandals," but on the HMS Friend Ship, each new sailor is given a few pairs of flip-flops as follows:

1. Casual Flip-Flops: Worn most days of the week on deck

2. Formal Flip-Flops: Worn to the Captain's Dinner each Friday night

3. Wacky Flip-Flops: For our weekly "Wacky Flip-Flop Competition" planned by Events Co-ordinator AnitaAnchor

4. Green Flip-Flops: Always useful seeing as green is a strong color.

I am fully in support of flip-flops worn on the HMS Friend Ship.
Report Post Tip
If all I am to my leader is Mindless Earner Drone #1823589, then why the hell would I stay with him? If they choose to start a war for their own idiot reasons (not naming names here, WINK WINK), and don't even bother to inform their crew what the hell is going on, demanding that I put my life on the line in return for... being left completely in the dark and being nothing more than slave labor.. you're damn right I'll go find somewhere else to be.

Why should I be loyal to a leader who isn't loyal to his RHM? Your RHM is your RIGHT FREAKING HAND. You put them there for their advice and their counsel and then completely and utterly ignore everything they say simply to satisfy your own bloodlust, then you're damn right I'll go find somewhere else to be.

Yes, loyalty to your crewleader is important, but JUST as important, is your crewleader's loyalty to you.
Report Post Tip
If you're a "Mindless Earner Drone" to your Boss, then that's what you're going to be. Obviously you're considered an Earner because you have no other valuable skills that your Boss could use. That your own god damn fault ha!

Yes, you got that right, the Boss starts a war for their OWN reasons. You know why? Because he/she is the leader of that family ffs. In the end, the Boss will do whatever the hell he/she wants to do regardless of what anybody has to say, even the members of his upper structure. And as far as what your upper structure has to say, giving advice is considered a persuasion, not an order.

If you're the RHM and yet you're complaining that you're "LEFT OUT", then you are a selfish bastard. You sit there with all kinds of access to your Boss's crew, but you have the nerve to feel "left out" -- that's fucking ridiculous.

All I'm hearing out of your rant is ME ME ME ME, what about ME? It clearly shows that's the only thing you care about, yourself.

It's people like you that need to be filtered out of the family and shot.
Report Post Tip
I actually filtered myself out of the family, thank you muchly for your concern.

I was a mindless earner drone because my ex-leader was so incompetent that he did not even bother wondering if I had any skills or not. He never once asked the state of my gun, or whether I had skills that could be useful to my family. As a leader, wouldn't one of the first things you ask new members be "What skills do you bring?" I know it would be one of my first questions.

A leader starts a war for his own reason, sure, I can understand that. But it shows a lot to me that he's concerned SOLELY with his number of kills when he refuses, REFUSES, to listen to his RHM and all the other people telling him that war is not the correct course of action.

If my leader only cares about himself, why should I care about him? If my leader refuses to show ME loyalty, why should I, in turn, be forced to show HIM loyalty? It's a two way street. Loyalty is earned, not just "Ooo, you have a different suit, I must be loyal to you, slurp slurp".
Report Post Tip

I was a mindless earner drone because my ex-leader was so incompetent that he did not even bother wondering if I had any skills or not. He never once asked the state of my gun, or whether I had skills that could be useful to my family. As a leader, wouldn't one of the first things you ask new members be "What skills do you bring?" I know it would be one of my first questions.

Look at yourself, your ex-leader isn't the incompetent one. He never asked because there are threads in your HQ forum giving you directions about how to utilize your skills. You want your state of gun to be noticed? Send your wack stats to the HSL. You want to be noticed for anything else? Send an application to your leader or the upper structure. But no, you sit back there on you lazy ass expecting them to come to you. Sorry to tell you, but you got things ass backwards.

But it shows a lot to me that he's concerned SOLELY with his number of kills when he refuses, REFUSES, to listen to his RHM and all the other people telling him that war is not the correct course of action.

So whenever a RHM and CL come to a disagreement, it's because he's concerned soley with his number of kills? That makes sense.....not really.

If my leader only cares about himself, why should I care about him? If my leader refuses to show ME loyalty, why should I, in turn, be forced to show HIM loyalty? It's a two way street. Loyalty is earned, not just "Ooo, you have a different suit, I must be loyal to you, slurp slurp".

Dude, I don't know how much more I can talk sense into you. You have everything ass backwards. Just because your leader won't take your advice that doesn't mean the loyalty isn't there. His actions are for the best of the family, not just for individuals, but you have hard time seeing that since you're all about yourself.
Report Post Tip
I believe if you join a family in the beginning you should die with that family in the end. Flip flopping is disrespectful and shows you could really care less as long as you get to the top. The only way I believe you should be able to leave a family is if your auth'd for a crew, or your offered a chance in a new and upcoming family to be a RHM, or LHM. Which therefore would allow you to keep growing and allow your former family and new family to have a newly growing alliance. In the end you see who your true friends are anyways.
Report Post Tip
Seems to me, family ( blood ) ties can never be broken, unless family head has reason to let you go.

I come from a long line of Mafia Ladies. A relative of mine had been a Consig in her family.

A war erupted, it was a long battle,days went into the blood shed.

My great great G-Ma never left her families side.

Her Boss went down and she was one of the few left.

As a sign of respect to her CL she waited until the shooting was over and put a gun to her head, ending her time in this world. Her family was gone and she wopuld never belong to another
Report Post Tip
What we believe and what we expect isn't what life is, life will throw us into certain situations and therfore we have to have a way of dealing with them at the time. Sure you can rant on and try to get people to listen and agree with you but some will refuse. Your belief is what makes you, you! I believe in honour but im not going to turn around and tell somebody what to do, if thats what they live for thats fine but i will disagree, and if it concerns me or my family i won't think twice about taking action, no matter who what or when.
Report Post Tip
I completely agree, if you're commited (especially to a mafia family), then you're commited. No other way around it. If you're in you know too much to be released, it would be too much of a threat to the family's security. Besides, it shows weakness...always wanting to go to 'where the grass is greener' so to speak.
Report Post Tip
Once your in a family, your there till death. Unless you have been trusted to start a family yourself.

Your crew leader protects you and in return you give him/her total commitment and loyalty.

As previously said you dont just sit back and expect to reach a high rank within the family. You go out and earn it. You prove to your family and your boss you have the qualities to be a crucial member of their family.
Report Post Tip
Chuck - part of our life is blind loyalty to our leader. Earners aren't taken much notice of. Its once you're made you'll start to be recognised.

To say your leader should show you loyalty is ridiculous. You start off as a nothing - much as I am now - and you attempt to work your way up. If you manage to get made, then you deserve some loyalty.

When you join a family, you're in. There's no turning back. If you need to kill or die for a decision you don't agree with that's tough shit. That's the agreement you enter in to when you step under the protection of any mob boss.
Report Post Tip
TheD is right. Once a leader has taken you in, your only duty is to them. This way of life is not a democracy. The head of a family is the ultimate authority. You have no right to bitch about heir decisions.

If you want some sort of say in how things are done, then you have to give the boss a reason to listen to your opinion. Work your ass off, when you speak in the streets make sure your points are salient and valid. Eventually, you might just make enough of an impression to get Made and have some influence.
Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Flip flopping families
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL