Get Timers Now!
X

May 19 - 14:35:28
Page:  1 2 [ > - >>> ]
The silence is deafening. Started by: CarraigRealta on Mar 24, '13 10:01

voiceless [?v?sl?s]adj

1. without a voice; mute 2. not articulated voiceless misery 3.silent 4. without the power or right to express an opinion Now I am no great scholar, nor am I any great linguist (we'll leave that to TCOSL) but I do come here on these streets today with many questions. I fell off the boat on these shores, new to me but strangely familiar. I've read about this place, I've read stories of scuffles on the streets for possession of the 'soapbox'. I've heard of powerful figures clash on these streets, of  people who could mount said soapbox and change opinion of hundreds of people across these cities. Stories of undergrounds rising, families falling. In fact the things I have read and the stories I have been told about this place are the sole reason I find myself here today. As I walk around though, the silence is deafening. The occasional squeal emitted from someone who 'might' have an opinion but 'might not' and even if they did they can't tell anyone and gangs of amateur dramatists on every corner. After days of searching I still can't find any sign of these great street leaders, who would stand with hundreds of people listening in awe and asking questions. In fact I'm struggling to find anyone who seemingly 'matters' who has actually got an opinion on anything. Am I wrong to expect to find inspiration on the streets? Am I wrong to want to listen to a leader speak and know why I want to join his family? Or am I supposed to shut up, accept one of the 8 invites i will get bombarded with even if I refuse to reply to the mails of the representatives. Why?  Why should I join someone who has no ability to stand and speak to the masses, they obviously have difficulty communicating, they have no public opinion. Before I go I want to leave you with the first thing my great great great great granddaddy ever wrote in his journal... "1. Respect must be earned on the street"

Report Post Tip

What the fuck happened there?

Report Post Tip

To an extent, there is nothing to speak about lately. Our world has been quiet, with every mobster going about his or her business. The Godfathers are content, most of their members are content. It's hard to come out and speak about things that aren't happening. Im sure they could address some smaller issues, but it isn't my place to tell them how to go about their business.

Report Post Tip

A foiled plot to takedown major families and the aftermath of these events wouldn't be something to mention?

I think the importance of the coffeeshops on IRC Ave has gotten out of control.

Report Post Tip

I'm with you one hundred precent. The Coffeeshops are detrimental to this way of life. I personally wish they would be totally unassociated with this thing of ours, but it shall never happen. People prefer easy access, fast gossip, and logs over anything else.

Report Post Tip

Where's Kuklinski when you need him?

Report Post Tip

I couldn't agree more. However, to Alexander, I would make but one small point.

People do indeed prefer easy access, fast gossip and logs over anything else...But there is no reason to think that this can never change. I am a cynic at a heart, but when it comes to this topic I would never forgive myself if I adopted a fatalistic stance on what these streets have become.

In the past, I feel my bloodline have contributed a fair amount to soapbox activity. Nothing particularly special, but an effort was certainly made. More than anyone, I can understand that sometimes it is difficult to channel that effort towards the streets. You end up faced with two questions: do I have anything to talk about? And if I do, is it wise for me to do so?

The latter, of course, depends very much on a few factors. It depends on who you are and how well you present your point. It is a fact that nobody is likely to listen for more than a fleeting moment to a goomba who suddenly appears from nowhere, hell bent on ranting about matters mostly relating to his past. Nobody cares about that. Harsh but true.

However, people do sit up and pay attention when a person of noteworthy rank and social status makes an appearance, even if only to share a few words. I know of several bloodlines in this thing of ours whom always make the effort out here to contribute what they can, even when they reach the dizzying heights of success. The thing is, very few choose to say anything these days. Aside from the occasional auth speech, really, we see nothing. All politics are conducted behind closed doors, as stated, in those coffeeshops. I would state quite clearly that it is not the case that things are quiet and settled in our world at the moment, thus creating the silence. Rather, it is the case that all issues are thrashed out in a private arena between those in the upper echelons of power.

As someone who has worked their way up quite successfully to date, I would say that yes, there are some matters that need to be held back from the masses. However, I also see that this can be detrimental to our way of life.

As more tentative business is conducted only within the ivory towers, we see general chit chat giving way to furious rumour on the ground below. Nobody knows if, what or when something is going on, so they seek to create something. This, in turn, creates tension and frustration. It creates a growing feeling amongst family members that they are not made privvy to current affairs, that they are not entrusted with valuable information.

If anything, I feel that the clarity we once had on these streets is not something to be grieved, but something to be revived, at least to a point of balance. At least then, people knew what their family actually represented rather than the same old flatline of 'Business, Prosperity, Success and Growth' that we all spew out so often. Yes, we all want that - but what about intercity relations? Dynamics between leaders? Plain, good, old-fashioned communication held in a public forum where identity is solidly rooted in where you come from and what you stand for?

The problem we face is that such a revival is hardly possible when sought out by those who have not yet achieved a powerful position. Power itself, in my opinion, has become an entirely different phenomenon now anyway. I don't see it being flaunted as it would have been by the powerful Mafiosi in days of old; instead, I see it perched quietly behind twenty-foot high walls. I think it is high time the leadership of today came back out onto these streets to engage in real discussion, real debate, real risk by showing who they really are.

I know I'm game. But is anybody else?

Report Post Tip

If you had a petition to sign Miss Delaney, I would sign it. You can count me in on your push to stand up and show who we really are and what we stand for.

Report Post Tip

As long as it's clear I don't mean flashing from beneath a beige overcoat, then that's excellent to hear.

Having ''ranked up'', I'd be much more comfortable knowing that those considering joining my family or district can turn to the streets and find out a little more about who I am before making their decision. I have no desire to be faceless or elusive in any way.

Report Post Tip

I'm honoured to get responses from two leaders but to be honest. Out of the 4 leaders I would have not aimed this at you are two of them.

Our streets breed community and friendships, creates allies and enemies. Maybe half a crew would suddenly want to leave a family if their Boss suddenly appeared in the streets but maybe half the population would queue up to join your ranks if you had opinions and leadership qualities that made you shine out from the crowd.

Undergrounds have risen and fallen because of the streets, as have families. Rogues have gained support because of good use of the streets. They hold unlimited power. You just can;t be afraid of it.

Imust apologise for my incoherent manner in my original statement. NY's finest bud just burns too good!

Report Post Tip

I'm newish, but have very strongly gotten the impression that talking in the streets is not a safe thing to do. At least not about anything of consequence.

Report Post Tip

And this is where my argument comes into play. Most are afraid to say anything for fear of what the upper structures might think or do.

But what if you are upper structure? What if you are in power? What's stopping you from coming out here and making yourself known, demonstrating your strength through words and illustrating exactly why you got into power in the first place, not to mention why you should stay there?

If anything, I believe that those in power should be the first to come out here and speak up. The powerful should have voices, not whispers. In my view, anyone can be remembered for having a decent gun or ranking quickly. It takes someone special to be remembered for laying their cards on the table and being known for their values.

Report Post Tip

Perhaps they're not upper structure enough. It'd be interesting to see more, but there is definitely a difference between talking and laying your cards on the table. I suspect even if there was more talking it wouldn't be real talk. This is a very risk averse society.

Report Post Tip

Insidieux, You can technically do or say whatever you want, so far as you're able to back up your words or actions. If you have power, pull, or most importantly respect, then you can do as you please until somebody decides they're capable of preventing you.

That being said though, I'd be curious what makes you feel that way. I've seen people killed before for their remarks in our streets, but usually it's over some sort of blatant disrespect. I'm not implying that it never happens, I just don't know of any examples offhand. If you, or anyone for that matter, could cite a recent example of someone being killed for bringing a topic to the streets or offering an opinion I'd be curious. Disappointed as well, actually.

Report Post Tip

I can't cite a recent example of someone bringing a topic to the streets (unless you count what kuku does) so no one really could be killed for it. I definitely think there are opinions you could hold that would get you killed though. As for respect, what exactly is that? There are plenty of people who say questioning authority is disrespectful. Isn't bringing an issue to the streets itself disrespectful in that sense?

Report Post Tip

Well, there's bringing an issue to the streets and then there's bringing a topic to the streets. I think there's a difference.

An 'issue' infers the involvement of specific individuals and naturally, it is best to handle these matters upfront and face to face rather than bring them out into the public forum. To neglect that basic courtesy is disrespectful, especially if the issue concerns someone of authority.

A 'topic' on the other hand refers to something more general that is fit for public consumption.

As TheHumanCentipede says, you are more likely to be killed for blatant disrespect in the streets and, in my experience, anyone that I have killed for such a thing has carried their behaviour across the board. That is to say that they were disrespectful not only here in public, but in other areas and other aspects to boot.

It is possible, I believe, to address a topic in a way that can be deemed upfront and assertive, yet respectful. It is a fine line to tread, indeed, but it has been done before. Someone who can make their point while welcoming those of others, someone who does so while still holding dear the public image of their family and city.

Report Post Tip

Very well put Don Lilac.

It should be added though, that it is very possible to bring specific issues to the streets if done in the right way and with a thoughtful presentation. It's an even finer line when dealing with this than when simply being up front and assertive with an issue, but again it's a line that can be navigated if you have the ability and the where with all to approach it correctly. There are obvious cases where certain issues shouldn't be raised, be it for the sake of omerta or personal privacy, but these would be the exception rather than the rule.

In the vast majority of cases, it's the way in which a subject is broached that can cause offence or insult and not the subject itself. We, as a community, often place far too high an importance on the strength of arms and forget about the invaluable strength which can be gained from skills related to politics, diplomacy and tact.

Report Post Tip

I could not agree more with those last few words, Satanta.

Very few people realise how far powers of observation and keen employment of decent strategy and political know how can get you. So much emphasis is placed on gun power when much of time, we should look a little closer at the bearer of the weapon.

Report Post Tip

I can't cite a recent example of someone bringing a topic to the streets (unless you count what kuku does)

No, I most certainly was not counting Kuku, although while not my most popular of opinions, I've always been amused by some of his antics in the streets, even the ones that have targeted my own lineage. That being said, you'll even find some of his topic points to be very thought-provoking at times.

To use him as an example though, Kuku does what Kuku does. He does so often knowing what the consequences will be. You'll find that unsponsored thugs that take to the streets to vent often spew the most venom because they have nothing to lose. They have the luxury of having no accountability for their words. The members of our society that do however might need to polish their words a little more. To Satanta's point, presentation is important. I think you'll find that most leaders would welcome an opportunity to discuss or in some instances even debate a topic if presented in a way that is at the very least respectable as opposed to abrasive. It's not imperative for a leader to eat shit from someone they don't have to for the sake of upholding the notion of 'free expression in the streets'. If we were in a world called PoliticiansReturns, things might be different. But it's not, and this is still the mafia where certain things are acceptable and other things can get you killed.

Report Post Tip

To throw an old cliche out there 'the pen is mightier than the sword' Ill used, or malcontent words have killed more of people than bullets over the years. If you approach a person, or topic with malice in your tone, you're more than likely to find yourself 6 feet under. The exception to that rule, a high powered mobster with the bodyguards, gun, or funds to handle the situation.

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: The silence is deafening.
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL