Get Timers Now!
X

May 13 - 17:05:14
Page:  1 2 [ > - >>> ]
A lesson learnt Started by: Dante_Balboni on Nov 14, '08 17:05
Dante steps out of a local store thanking the owner for his generosity as he leaves. Lighting up a smoke he looks about the street to see if he could get a little audience

Well I did promise Vanessa a story, but the missus being the missus she insisted that I share it with everyone else.

He leans against a lamppost and takes a short draw on his smoke

A long time ago, when I was a member of a family that is now long dead I was charged by the boss to help out some of the newer recruits. Most were your average bunch, needed tips on what stores were best to hit. How to find the best prices for drug and the like, you know average stuff. There was this one kid that stuck out in the crowd, we'd be in constant conversation ranging from business to pleasure. I'd grown quite fond of them and was pleased to see them progress through the ranks in the family. They were always willing to donate and help out when needed all the things that showed a good worker.

Takes another draw from his smoke before continuing on

One day while having a drink with the boss, I brought the kids name up. From everything I knew of them I thought they would be a good asset to the family. But the bosses look said different. I then found out that this guy had been constantly pestering the boss for the past week asking questions about how to get made. The first time the boss had answered them, outlining what it took to get made in the family and that it was more than just pettys, drug runs and jail breaks. A couple of days later the boss got another mail again asking about mademan, only this time it wasn't how to get it. The question was do I have it yet. The boss then again took time out of their schedule to answer personally and informed the guy that made had been explained before and that they would get it when the boss decided they were ready.

sighs a little

Over our drinks my boss confided in me that the promotion was there, but because of the way this guy had been asking it was being held back. Eventually the guy got his promotion and proved that he was worthy of it many times over.

Takes a quick draw on his smoke

I suppose your wondering why I'm out here now telling you all this, well back then I was just another worker for the boss and had no dreams of actually being a boss myself. Now I'm in that position and it's something that has been on my mind as of late. In my little outfit I've only given out four mademan badges, two of those went on to betray the trust I had in them. I've never been one to believe that mademan should be given as soon as it's there, well okay there are certain circumstances where it's perfectly okay to just hand it out. Thankfully the second two have surpassed the expectation had for them. But now as I have more people getting near that point I find myself thinking back on what I learnt from my old boss.

Finishes his smoke and begins to turn away

Well that's all I really have to say right now, maybe someday soon I'll be back out here. Guess that all depends how hard Vanessa pushes me.
Report Post Tip
*looks on the torment visible in Dante's face, sadly people can be a glowing example to others within the family just for the honour of being made. Sadly old vendettas and things some thing they can get away with often staining the honour they have been given.
Report Post Tip
Hero while wanderin' around sees his boss standing there looking sad and annoyed

Heads for him "hello boss"

Dante rises his head and say "hello"

hero adds " sorry for what happened to you but don't say I didn't warn you"

they both leaves in two different directions

Hero says to him self "I hope he isn't betrayed anymore dat's would b very hard for him"
Report Post Tip
*sitting in the back corner watching every move being made*

*puffs his joint*

*cocks his 38 caliber and listens closely while the boss speaks*

*notices a man standing up, but he's only going to the restroom*

*nods head in approval of the bosses statement and uncocks his pistol as the boss leaves*

I trust few boss and I don't blame you for doing the same.

*puts joint out and behind ear*

*leaves and follows boss to the next venue, where he sit back in another dark corner, 38 cocked and puffing a joint*
Report Post Tip
'Dante,

Made man is a rank that everyone assumes they will achieve. Alot of crewleaders from the past and present take that for granted. A rogue is a guy who takes no time in ranking up and then shoots everything in sight. If a guy can rank up to made man in 10 days from his birth, why not shoot the world?

As a crewleader it is your right, nay, your DUTY to ensure your made men will not disobey you and rogue. If as a crewleader you hassle your members and make them EARN their stripes and I mean EARN, they will be more then likely to follow your rules and not go rogue.

I believe crewleaders are 75% to blame on if a made man or above goes rogue. You have to ensure that the safety of your family as well as others is not in jeopardy due to one of your members.

However, If there is a person in your family who wants to better himself and strive for bigger and better things, and you feel he or she is worthy of it, then I in no way shape or form see this as disrespect or a blatant act of not being loyal. I think of this as a simple gesture to better the community and himself. Yes, it seems a bit rash for the person to want to leave the family and make his own for his own personal gain, but in all honesty, if you deny the person in talks, then I am pretty sure he or she will take it and work harder for it.

This is just my thoughts on the situation at hand, and how I feel.'
Report Post Tip
Dexter, I am a bit confused by your speech. Specifically the folowing portion:

"However, If there is a person in your family who wants to better himself and strive for bigger and better things, and you feel he or she is worthy of it, then I in no way shape or form see this as disrespect or a blatant act of not being loyal. I think of this as a simple gesture to better the community and himself."

What action are you talking about here? I don't quite follow what you are not seeing as disrespect or disloyalty. Are you talking about a situation where it is ok for someone to rogue? Or am I misinterpreting your words?
Report Post Tip
Alucard steps out of the shadows listening to Dante's story and calls to him "Dante!"

Dante turns a shoots a look to Alucard "Yes?"

Alucard smiles slightly "I heard your story and this world is truly tough every moment, I am new to this life and you have been here for quite a while. I thought it was tough just starting out, but you are the boss of a family and are still finding things tough. Nobody likes a suck up so I will keep this short Thank you for taking the time to tell your experiences and hopefully we all learn from them"

Alucard turns and walks away
Report Post Tip
Azuela,

This was meant for if someone asks for Auth to set up a family. I dont see this as disrespect or disloyalty. It is your right as Crewleader to deny them, however, I think death is a bit much.
Report Post Tip
Dexter, I'll address you know for my thoughts on when someone asks for auth. They will be very easy to follow. If you ask for it, you don't get it simple as that. If that is the only thing that has transpired then no it doesn't deserve auth.

What you are in fact referring to I'm assuming here is what transpired between myself and HellBells. Which you full well know that was not the reason they were killed. I had hoped to not air this out in the streets but well you've forced my hand.

When I set up HellsBells offered me help and i accepted as I was a little lost, over time it became clear that Hell felt that she should be running MY crew not me. She went behind my back on a number of occasions which gave me reason enough to kill her but I held back and showed restraint. When she asked for auth it was the final nail in her coffin.
Report Post Tip
'Dante,

I did not force anything out of you. I simply stated my opinions on the matter, You didn't need to air dirty dead laundry but you chose to. I don't want the blame for your airing of that laundry!

Sometimes crewleaders take their jobs to much to the head. If your Right Hand Man or Woman has an opinion on something, they take it as "Oh noes! He wants to run my crew! I will not allow it!" Right Hand Men and Women have all the right to put up suggestions or make decisions when the boss is gone. So I don't see any type of trying to run YOUR crew. Maybe I am just blind?'
Report Post Tip
Maybe it's not because you're blind, but because you're not leading a crew, Dexter. Ultimately, the crewleader decides what "rights" the right hand man or left hand man has. Any authority to perform an action is given to them by the crewleader. If Dante thinks that his RHM overstepped her authority, then she did. It's his call.
Report Post Tip
Also, I don't appreciate the highly disrespectful tone here, Dexter. Dante is a leader and deserves respect. By disrespecting him with your accusative tone and thinly veiled insults, you also disrespect the values of your own family and this thing of ours as a whole.
Report Post Tip
'Taskmaster,

I don't see any aggressive tones in my speech, they are merely my opinions. If you cannot take my criticism the right way, then that isn't my fault. I have a right as a mafioso to come here and state my opinions with no reprocussion.'
Report Post Tip
"I have a right as a mafioso to come here and state my opinions with no reprocussion."

Sorry Dexter, but that statement is absolutely false. There are most definitely consequences for your words and actions in this world. If you come out on these streets and say that Don so and so is a two-faced, midget raping buffoon who shouldn't be allowed to run a hot dog stand, let alone a family, you better believe that you are going to be dead as soon as said Don can hop a flight to where you are.

There is no "freedom of speech" here. You can say and do what you are strong enough to pull off and that is it.
Report Post Tip
Al-Qaatil is taken fully aback by what was just said. The cigarette falls from his lips as his jaw slackens and falls.

Now, I've heard some funny things in my time, but a right as a mafioso to state your opinions without repercussions!? When did this occur, who let it happen, and why hasn't anyone done something about it? Son, we may be in America, but don't mistake those rights you get as an American for the ones you get as a mobster. You do not have a right to disrespect other people with the words you say. No one can stop you from saying them, but they sure as heck can punish you for it if you strike the wrong chord. In my time, I've taken out more than a few unsponsored gangsters who have crossed the line of respect, and no one would dream of calling that illegitimate. Things of course change when you're dealing with someone who has found a crew -- but not by so much as to give every mafioso a free rein to say whatever they want.

Al-Qaatil walks away wondering how long it would take for someone to get shot after calling a crewleader an incompetent buffoon with a sexual perversion, even if they added on at the end "hey, it was only my opinion." He figures they'd last a few hours, tops.
Report Post Tip
Disrespect. Unruly outbursts with expressing ones fucking opinion. Oh my! Did he just say the F-Word? Indeed I fucking did. Get over it.

Seeing that many pick on the few who do come out and express themselves as being disrespectful, should not just stop there. Why not grab everyone who has been guilty of a little bashing. Hang the piggy while you're at it.

But no, it won't happen. Some people it seems, are better than others. Now Dexter has come out and said what he feels. To some, its disrespectful to argue or accuse a Crew Leader so openly. Why not bash him on his views rather than falling back on the same boring "Watch yourself, you're being disrespectful" tune that's been playing over and over like a broken record.

Wait...Dexter? No you're not off the hook that easily. I do in fact, disagree with you. Where the hell does it fall on the laps of leaders that its their doing that these rogues are about?

"I believe crewleaders are 75% to blame on if a made man or above goes rogue. You have to ensure that the safety of your family as well as others is not in jeopardy due to one of your members." - Dexter.

They are not to blame. Rogues rogue, because they have nothing better to do. Perhaps they don't agree with some policies. Perhaps its just a feud carried by bloodlines that has not yet been resolved. I don't what it is, I don't care either. You rogue, you die. If you don't, here's your pat on the back and fifteen minutes of fame, Now get the fuck off our streets.

One can only achieve attempting a coup by getting the bosses approval to be made. Do you think leaders sit and counsel every Tom, Dick and Harry that's made? This promotion should be well thought out, but kissing ass seems to get many very far. If it works for you, good for you.

Now if a leader insinuates or approves one of his own to rogue about in these streets, then that Leader should be treated as if he was a rogue himself. That means, there won't be a nice funeral for him either.

"Yes, it seems a bit rash for the person to want to leave the family and make his own for his own personal gain, but in all honesty, if you deny the person in talks, then I am pretty sure he or she will take it and work harder for it." - Dexter.

Rogue's don't ask for auth. They take it. Not because they want to be inspiring leaders and work with the rest, but because they want to change what we have.

So what can we take from this? Simply that Leaders shouldn't be blamed unless they are to blame, Rogues are fun to kill and that disrespect is just a word thrown about too lightly, when we can't come out on the streets guns blazing. By guns blazing I do mean a war of words for those who don't comprehend.

"A lesson learned"
Report Post Tip
Zoey joined the chat on the street.

What amuses me about what I've heard so far is Dexter's father or grandfather, I'm sorry I don't remember which, pleaded on these streets about not judging him for what his mother, HellsBells did, but Dexter brought it up to Dante in this conversation.
Report Post Tip
Zoey is distracted by a pretty kitten on the street then finishes what she intended to say.

Which are we suppose to do, forgive and forget or only discuss it when you want to talk about it?
Report Post Tip
'Dexter brought it up Zoey? Did I? I believe in his first speech in the streets, he brought up the two made men who betrayed him, or as he says. I come here to question the leader, some think its disrespect, some see it as just debating. I did not once bring up my mothers name. I did not once bring up the situation, I just simply asked a question and Dante himself brought it up.

As far as being accused of disrespect, I simply think its the easy way out of a debate. If someone doesn't want to answer questions or be involved in a debate, they just tell you to shut up and stop being disrespectful. I don't understand where I was disrespectful, questioning a crewleader or actually just debating about a situation with a crewleader to my knowledge was not disrespect.

Please correct me if I am wrong.'
Report Post Tip
'As I think back of what was being said by me, the only thing I can see someone taking as disrespect was the "OH NOES" part of my earlier speech. I didn't mean it as disrespect, but I apologize for that, but other than that I don't notice any other disrespectful phrases.'
Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: A lesson learnt
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL