Get Timers Now!
X

May 14 - 18:32:19
Page: [ <<< - < ] 1 2 3 [ > - >>> ]
Long Posts on the Streets Started by: Crowley on Jan 15, '09 17:53
*make my day.

Sorry, I'm a bit bloodthirsty.
Report Post Tip
dude, it has nothing to do with being lazy.

it is so unnecessary to make a thread with 70% shit.

' Pours up a whiskey '

I mean, who the hell cares if you drink whiskey!?!?

Drink that friggin' whiskey but please dont let me know!!

It is so friggin' pointless, and these "actions" takes up more than way more than 50% of all the long threads.

Seems like everyone here thinks that typing more means more skills and that is bullshit.

Get to the point ffs!

//Storm <3
Report Post Tip
One, my thread wasn't 70% shit, thanks.

Two, I never drank whiskey in that thread, nor poured it for anyone, thanks.

I don't feel it's pointless because I LOVE WRITING. As I hope that everyone else in the forums LOVES WRITING. If you don't LOVE WRITING, then why are you parading around a place that is strictly for those that do?

Going even further, I make my threads pretty damn easy to read. All the RP is in italics, everything my character says is in normal text. If it's "too long" for you, then just read the normal text.

Plus, not like you'll know since you're not a Boss, along with my street thread I sent an abbreviated version of my tax to the leaders in their mail boxes, as I figured it was *they* who would decide to allow their families to participate or not.

You people complaining are forgetting that it's an RP SITE. I can write as much as I want or as little as I want.

You are all also forgetting that I'm the Godmother of Detroit, so if I make an announcement regarding my city, regardless of how long or short it may be, you all kind of have to read it if you want to live longer than an hour in Detroit.

And, in the end as KOOP said, if I get to kill you for being a lazy idiot (that's trying to drive the already low-level of RP that this site has into the ground) that would make my day. My week, in fact.
Report Post Tip
Personally I enjoy the long threads and as Marietta so rightly pointed out, this is a text base role playing game! Now I am not saying I'm the most amazing person at this ever, however I like to give it a go, and the streets is the place for this.

In fact if anything there is a problem with some people not RP, not doing it too much. I understand that it is not what everyone enjoys doing, but there is nothing wrong with giving it a go.
Report Post Tip
If you want to take the opinion that "pours a whiskey" and such is pointless, why not take the opinion that thread itself is pointless?

After all, in reality a mob boss wouldn't announce such a thing to all and sundry, s/he'd quietly mention the leaders and kill the first rule breakers, expecting news to filter through.

THAT would be real roleplay. Unfortunately, that isn't really viable on this site, so I tend to feel the odd bit of descriptive writing here and there creates a decent enough compromise.

If you don't like that so much, then I suggest you go and play another game where the forums aren't such an integral part of game play.

And it really pains me to say that, I detest the people who say "play another game" in response to every complaint; but really, complaining about well written threads? Can't you just be happy about things?
Report Post Tip
I personally come from a web site of strictly TEXT ROLE PLAYING..there's not even game aspect, like here on mafia.

On the sites I've been writing on for years, a common role play is about 2000-3500 words, although it was in no way uncommon to see 7-10k word pieces. I enjoy seeing such things on here, it's really shows me who's got some intelligence besides pointing and clicking.

On that note, anyone who ever wants to RP let me know.
Report Post Tip
Writing is great.

Reading sucks.

It is what it is.
Report Post Tip
Normally I would have no issue with really long threads. I am fairly well educated and I have the capacity to read more than a few lines of prose. The issue that is really at hand here surrounds how poor most of these long threads really are. It is almost a chore to read them in their entirety.
Report Post Tip
I think this is a no-brainer. If you show the lack of interest and dedication to the world like this it is surely a wrong step in your career as a mobster. I enjoy writing too, which in turn makes other peoples things interesting to read. I may have once looked at books and thought "Urg", but once you get past the first couple of pages its hard to put it down.

-Louis
Report Post Tip
It's not really that the threads are long and well written and gripping. This would not be a problem. They are usually poorly written, boring, and badly formatted. Reading them can be a chore. Length does not indicate the quality of writing. That's middle school thinking.
Report Post Tip
It all comes down to this, then:

It's not really that the threads are long and well written and gripping. This would not be a problem. They are usually poorly written, boring, and badly formatted.

So when you used my thread as an example, are you insinuating that it was poorly written? And if so, what exactly qualifies as a "well written" thread, because apparently if mine is horrible I haven't mastered proper writing techniques in my 23 years of life.
Report Post Tip
Here here!!

Perhaps it's time you put your money where your mouth is Crowley and lead by example. Give us a lesson in RP prose. I for one will be ...hang on..

...pours himself a whiskey...

I for one will be waiting for a short, yet insightful peice on the streets..with no descriptive passages...obviously
Report Post Tip
This thread + replies is too long, I didn't read any of it.

Rourkey pours himself a whiskey
Report Post Tip
Rourkey quickly finishes his large glass of whiskey and pours himself another. He fills the glass entirely to the brim, careful not to spill a drop. Suddenly, out of nowhere, it appears that a drop was indeed going to spill. Rourkey panics and goes to the nearest drawer for a towel. After searching for several minutes, he finds the perfect towel to use to wipe up the impending doom that will and up as an unwelcome spot on his newest coffee table. Rourkey rushes back to the table and swipes at the edge of the glass to help sop up any trace of spill. Rourkey glances at his towel. He notices it is completely dry. He ponders for a few moments. Rourkey realizes that his whiskey was NOT going to spill and it must be a simple mirage from the heat in the room. The word "mirage" conjures many images in his mind of a fateful tryst he had with the lovely lady in Paris. He makes a mental note to send Mirage flowers after he finishes his next glass of whiskey. Suddenly a loud knock on the door grabs Rourkey's attention. He casually waltzes over to the door, sipping at his whiskey so no drops fall from the glass onto the floor. Rourkey opens the door, but no one is outside. He closes the door and returns to the table. Rourkey hears a second loud knocking on the door. This time, he dashes over to the door to try to catch the culprit in the act. As he dashes to the door, a few drops of whiskey fall from his glass, but Rourkey expertly catches them with his towel. He wipes a few beads of sweat off his brow with said towel. The loud knocking continues. Rourkey rips the door off the hinges and sees his good friend KingOfOnePercent standing outside. KingOfOnePercent bows slowly then departs. Rourkey feels sad as he was prepared to offer KingOfOnePercent some of the finest whiskey from his cabinet. Seeing that the door is no longer able to be closed, Rourkey returns to the table to finish off the rest of his whiskey. As he is about to place the glass on his table, a large raven flies in through the hole that used to be occupied by his door. Rourkey allows the raven to rest on his shoulder. The raven has a sip of the whiskey and is immediately drunk. The raven flies off Rourkey's shoulder and crash-lands on a nearby chair. He sleeps and begins to snore. After watching his newest avian friend doze peacefully, Rourkey finishes his whiskey and goes to bed.

I like all the "introduction parts" as they truly are a window to the soul. If you have problem reading through the threads, maybe ask a friend to help summarize them for you?
Report Post Tip
I will not lie, many people write some very lengthy threads which could be cut down by a margin of about 95% to get the point across. And while this is a role playing game it is also a very diverse one. There are some players that like to read and write and enjoy that aspect of the game and there are others that do not. The only rule regarding this is that in the streets you speak in character. The bare minimum of this is simply talking about in game events through the eyes of your character. You do not have to have an introduction or any of that. At the same time if you want to include one you can.

For me, I only have so much time to do many different things before I log off. If I see a lengthy post I simply will not read it. I can not dedicate 2 hours to reading 10 posts which should have taken 15 minutes to read. If you want all players to be able to read your post them you must stoop to the lowest common denominator of sorts. A simple, straight to the point, easy to read post. The more you dress it up and complicate it the less appealing it will be to people like me that simply do not have the time.

And let's be real, what mobster have you heard of that was also a great linguist? If you REALLY want to role play you'd use as little words as possible.
Report Post Tip
...In fact you'd probably let your actions speak for you.
Report Post Tip
Dear Rourkey,

That was fantastic.

Love, MacLeod
Report Post Tip
Marietta,

Actually, I didn't read all but the summary paragraph at the end of that Detroit tax post. Like I said, it was too long. I read another one of your posts to check your writing style and found that I didn't care for it. You didn't follow proper formatting for dialog, so it was hard to tell who was speaking. Your way of describing things was a little overly flamboyant, and the whole piece had the air of someone who thinks they are an amazing writer, but really are quite mediocre at it. Plus, the story you were writing about did not catch my attention within your first lengthy post, so I moved on.

Not to say it was horrible, but it was very boring and difficult on my eyes to read.

My idea of a great post would be formatted in traditional English formatting, with new speakers forming a new paragraph. Frequent line breaks ease strain wile reading. Look for economy in words. Do not fall into the trap of using overly complicated words where simple ones will do. The writing would stay primarily true to the tone of the website; gritty and terse like a hardboiled detective novel. RPs would be engaging from the start, with good opening sentences and posts. Good descriptive imagery would be used, to highlight the dirtiness of the whole mafia thing. Also, I'd appreciate some signs of proofreading.

Later today I'll start an RP thread. Let me know hear what you think about it.
Report Post Tip
Crowley,

I think your key phrase here is "I didn't care for it". That's fine. Everyone writes in their own style, and style is subjective. So why do you then spend more time critiquing it about "proper formatting for dialog", "overly flamboyant way of describing things", and "very boring"? If a particular person's writing is not your cup of tea then no one is forcing you to read it, but you don't need to come out in public and offer totally subjective critiques of someone who has obviously put in a lot of time and effort.

And "your" idea of a great post is not everyone's idea of a great post. Again- subjective. Not everyone formats speakers the same way. Not everyone prefers economy in words and frequent line breaks. If you want to write like that, then go for it, but I don't think you (or anyone) is justified in saying that one style of writing is good and another is bad.

SUMMARY PARAGRAPH: Dude? Really? Writing Style Preference = Subjective. To each his own? No? Lame!
Report Post Tip
In addition, if Hemingway and Faulkner could each think that the other was a shit writer, I think that means you should just focus on your own writing and not go out of your way to try to attack the style of others. Totally unnecessary.
Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For Non RP Talk About The Game (AKA OOC)
Replying to: Long Posts on the Streets
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL