Get Timers Now!
X

Apr 28 - 19:13:48
Page: [ <<< - < ] 1 2 3 
Long Posts on the Streets Started by: Crowley on Jan 15, '09 17:53
MacLeod, at any point in my post did I ever say things weren't my opinion? Christ, you people are sensitive. NEWSFLASH: YOUR WRITING MAY BE BAD, AND IF YOU WERE AWARE OF HOW THE CREATION OF ART WORKED, YOU'D BE PREPARED TO ACCEPT CRITICISM FOR IT.

Plus, Marietta specifically asked for my opinion, and I was just giving it.

And saying "That's, like, just your opinion, man" is such a wishy-washy way to do anything. The burden is not on me to avoid bad writing, but for others to improve. Write better, and I will complain less. I do read the streets posts to stay informed on what's up. You'd give me a hard time if I said I never read the Streets.

Please, writers of MR, accept criticism! Don't be like the rest of the Internet and flip out when someone says you are not perfect!
Report Post Tip
The statements you made implied objective analysis and not just opinion. If I inferred incorrectly, my apologies.

May I ask what sort of writing experience you have that gives you the knowledge and wisdom to offer these artistic critiques?

I would disagree with you with regards to my argument being "wishy washy". You said "Write better, and I will complain less". I'm saying that there is no universal "better" when discussing writing style, so you should not be complaining at all.
Report Post Tip
My only problem with this entire argument is this...First, you complained that threads were generally too long.

When that argument got shot down, you changed tack and stated that the threads were poorly written and it was a chore to read them.

When people disagreed with you there, you then changed tack again and said it was more to do with formatting.

So, do you actually have a definitive argument on why you don't like long threads, or are you just trying to cause a row?
Report Post Tip
I haven't changed tack. My argument is consistent. Threads are too long. They are too long because they are badly written and poorly formatted. If they were of equal length and well written, then I wouldn't consider them too long. If they were short and bad, I would also not complain. Plus, lots of people agreed with me.

To Macleod, there is of course universal betters in writing. Albert Camus is a better writer than R.A. Salvatore. Shakespeare was a better writer than I am.

I go now to write an RP thread. Please criticize it for length and content here when I am done.
Report Post Tip
Done.

http://mafiareturns.com/comm/thread.php?topic=40035&action=2

Now, why do I think that this piece, despite its length being comparable to many of the shorter posts is superior?

1. It starts right off, no tedious introductions. It gets to the point.

2. It is relatively short. Like half a page in a word document. Edible in one bite.

3. Makes references to urban centers, Italian culture, actual history. Gritty language and imagery.

4. My character has flaws and is decidedly un-awesome. A nervous rat.

5. I follow the rules of standard grammar, no made up formatting.

6. None of that italics bullshit where you describe the stupid shit you do. Work it into the writing, and it will be less flow breaking.

There. I think I've managed to make a cool sounding work without making it too long and boring. What do you think? What needs work? Would extra length have helped?
Report Post Tip
I didn't get past the title tbh.
Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For Non RP Talk About The Game (AKA OOC)
Replying to: Long Posts on the Streets
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL