Get Timers Now!
X

May 10 - 00:07:09
Game Suggestions
1 Watchers
Page:  1 2 [ > - >>> ]
Pick Pocketing CA adjustment discussion Started by: Ragnarok on Jan 22, '15 15:04

Recently I asked Squishy about a coding change that would allow CAs mug a person on occasion. A small chance, but a chance none the less. Just something to add a bit of potential excitement to the situation. He brought up to me that a lot of people PP officers because it offers no risk, and asking a risk would just lead to more bitching than anyone wants to listen to. Fair point to Squish. No one wants to listen to any bitching and moaning. So I took a step back and reconsidered my request. I came up with the following and wanted to present it to the masses for a discussion and perhaps some tweaking that could lead this to be introduced.

• Pick pocketing any Corrupt Officer in your home city remains the same. They're on someones locals payroll, so they're not looking to bust your chops.
  • Pick pocketing any Corrupt Officer that is in your home city, but not from your home city is a: harder to do b: carries a slight chance of being mugged. These officers may be on your tuff, but they're not on your pay roll. They don't care about what clout you may or may not have.
  • The concept would apply when you travel to other cities as well. You're from New York, and you pick pocket a NY CA, no big deal. You're hanging around in Chicago and you try to steal from a Chicago CA, the task is harder, and you have a chance of being mugged.

I'm sure this isn't going to be super popular with a lot of people, but I think it would be a good addition. I don't know anything about the coding or mechanics behind it, but I'm sure others can chime in with tweaks, adjustments, or whatever you want to offer. I hope you all will at least consider this.

Squishy Enkindle

Report Post Tips: 2 / Total: $120,000 Tip

I plan to come back to this at a later time. However, I think a concession that could be made is to limit the effects of the mugging by the CA.

• Pick pocketing any Corrupt Officer that is in your home city, but not from your home city is a: harder to do b: carries a slight chance of being mugged. These officers may be on your tuff, but they're not on your pay roll. They don't care about what clout you may or may not have.

In this case, potentially the only effects of the mugging is cash being taken. No increased timers; no loss of gun.

• The concept would apply when you travel to other cities as well. You're from New York, and you pick pocket a NY CA, no big deal. You're hanging around in Chicago and you try to steal from a Chicago CA, the task is harder, and you have a chance of being mugged.

From my understanding this is intended to carry a bigger risk, how about cash being taken and change to the timer, but no removal of gun?

In my opinion the biggest concern with being mugged is the increased timers and loss of gun; by mitigating these these factors I would assume the masses will be content to accept the change.

Report Post Tip

Kind of echoing what SiriusBlack said - this is what I said in global chat, figured I'd post it here as well.

[15:12:12] <DeadlySin> the only thing I would say, is if there's going to be increased risk there should be increased reward too
[15:12:47] <DeadlySin> getting like $100 at most for an instant mugback, losing flight timer, potentially your gun, and money
[15:13:09] <DeadlySin> just doesn't seem worth it at all
Report Post Tip

To address SiriusBlack's first point, if this were done, the results of the CA's mugging do not have to be the as bad or at all the same as when a player mugs you. It would be jail time, which would make a lot more sense. When a player retaliates, they aim to fuck you up bad, when a cop retaliates, he uses the tools he has.

I like the idea of cops that fight back though, the CA's have already proven they don't take their own being shot very well, so why would they take being PPed any better?

Report Post Tip

For me personally I wouldn't mind any changes as long as the majority agrees to it but as SiriusBlack stated my main concerns aren't the cash, I know if I am going to PP someone and their is a possibility of being mugged not to have tons of cash on me, even the timer could be tweaked with my biggest concern is the loss of the gun.

I for one PP officers the majority of the time because it's less risky but I have no problems there being more of a challenge as long as there is a way to keep your gun and (if possible) tweak the timer to not be as high as a normal mugging.

That's my .02.

Report Post Tip

As to what enkindle said. Instead of cash, you could be thrown in jail. Potentially lose your drug load would be another option to discuss. Maybe if you where a frequent PPers of out of town CAs, you risk of a timer loss could be incorporated?

Report Post Tip

I do love the idea of a jail term enkindle, from both a mechanics point of view and an RP one... it's perfect! Kudos.

From a 'fun' point of view, I'd have no issue with mixing it up a little either though with some RNGness. 

If PP'ing a CA from your own city, no risk. It's as it was.

If PP'ing a CA from outside your home city, risk. 

If PP'ing a CA not from your city but in their city, higher risk.

If PP'ing a CA not from your city and in their home district, trouble. 

I've no idea what would be an acceptable level for the various tiers there. 1%, 5%, 20% and 50% spring to mind... but that's just spitballing without any thought. 

Risk = Short jail time, normal guards

Higher Risk = Longer jail time, higher guards / or / if unlucky in roll, cash taken (if no cash on hand, short FED jail)

Trouble = Cash taken (if no cash on hand, medium FED jail)

Report Post Tip

Ragnarok, I'll do you one better on the drugs. The CA takes the drugs and then delivers them to the person he works for. Then tosses your ass in jail. So here's the details I'm thinking of right now:

• When a CA retaliates against a PP (we shouldn't call it mugging, just to separate it from player vs player mugging) none of the normal punishments will be used (no timer, no gun taken, etc)
  • We shouldn't mess with the difficulty of the PPs. PPing CA's is where noobs start, and that should stay the same IMO.
  • There is no risk in PPing a CA from your home city, regardless of what city you are currently in.
  • The chance to be retaliated on would be something like 15% rolled once a minute for the 10 minute window after the PP.
    • This may sound harsh, being a cumulative 150% chance to be hit back, but remember, you only have to leave the district, not the city.
    • CA's will not intentionally follow you to a different district. If they move there because their player does. Bad luck for you.
  • When a CA does retaliate:
    • You go to jail (10 minutes?)
    • You lose your drugs on hand.
    • These drugs are given to the player that bought the CA.
      • You will NOT be told who the drugs are given to, as that would give the CA's owner away.
      • The CA's owner will be told where the drugs were from. (So you can give a friends shit back.)
      • If the drug count is over the CA owners limit, or the CA owner already has drugs on hand, it will just add them on, and they have to offload before they can buy more. 
Report Post Tip

Setanta, I like your idea of tiers of risk. My only concern is does it add more fluff than benefit? Will it make it confusing\daunting for a newer player that wants to start improving his PPing via CAs? I guess it doesn't have to as long as its explained as "If the CA isn't from your city, run the fuck away." and if they fail to run, they learn the consequences when they happen.

Report Post Tip

Moved this to Suggestions... cause... that's what it is.

Report Post Tip

If anyone has any suggestions or concerns as to how I have explained it, please speak up. We will be putting this feature in pretty soon.

Report Post Tip

You could be right. 

I think once it's well explained in a thread, similar to the BG tier thread I constantly find myself linking to people, it wouldn't be hard to explain at all. Even if just scaling down the worst case scenario to a shorter time in jail would make it acceptable to me. More random risks like that would just be fun.

Having said that. Your drug mechanic for it does look fantastic already. So no need to mess with it too much really. 

Report Post Tip

~~•When a CA does retaliate: ◦You go to jail (10 minutes?)
◦You lose your drugs on hand.
◦These drugs are given to the player that bought the CA.

Love this idea.  And I'm one that PP's CA's all the time.

Report Post Tip

Oh yeah, the drugs given to you by your CA will not count towards that CAs earnings. While it would be cool, it would be a cheatable system because I would mug my friends CA with a full load of coke and then not run, and then you could do the same...and so on.

Report Post Tip

Everything sounds great to me, I love this idea. It adds something more to the CA's which is a definite plus.

Report Post Tip

I have to say i love this idea adds a nice little twist to pping. Great idea Rags congrats

Report Post Tip

Just to clarify - they will only have a chance of retaliating to our PP if they actually see us right?

Report Post Tip

DeadlySin, I had not even considered stealth. But yes, that would be the logical way to do it. If you stealth them, they can't do jack about it.

Report Post Tip

I love every aspect of this. Kudos to Ragnarok for getting the ball rolling and Kudos to enkindle for fleshing it out. Ragnarok and enkindle for President and 1st lady

Report Post Tip
I also really like this idea. It makes a lot of sense. I look forward to trying it out!
Report Post Tip

Game Suggestions
Replying to: Pick Pocketing CA adjustment discussion
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL