Get Timers Now!
X

May 19 - 11:08:18
Page:  1 2 [ > - >>> ]
An Extenuating Circumstance Started by: Odd on May 25, '09 22:47
POOF!

Odd appears and the crowd begins to hush, looking to them through the brim of his fedora, he speaks

Today I received a request from a young man that was unaware of what he has gotten himself into. But, non-the-less I invited him into my family...around 12:30 today. Immediately the learning process began. He learned to not call me 'dude' and then learned to ask me for money before he was able to help me. Selfish of me, I know. Then something happened, he asked for me to let him go(some 5 hours later), so that he could join another family...of course I said no.

I then began to investigate the situation..I wanted to see how much was him trying to pull a fast one on me. What I found was surprising, I spoke with TDK, the admitted to Recruiting, I laughed at him and told him that this wasn't the Army, and that our kind don't recruit...or in my opinion we shouldn't. I asked for TDK to send me the conversation of him and my member talking about it and also TDK's LHM THE-SAINT and my guys convo. To my surprise they came to me quickly, and what I found was that some 4 - 5 hours after my member joined my family that THE-SAINT continued to recruit him. This isn't okay. When my new member was unable to "buy out" at THE-SAINTS request, he then sent my guy to TDK for help. TDK did offer help. He suggested the my member retire, then tell his offspring to join him. This is also, not okay.

Not that I owe anyone, except maybe Adrian, an explanation making this public will save me the heart ache of answering a ton of questions. Please allow the rest of the unknowing recruited members to find a home. Fellow leaders please help me out and educate the new blood and get these members into a decent home. This is one of those Extenuating Circumstances where those new members shouldn't be punished for what their leaders did.

Thank you for your time.

And with that, Odd seems to float off to the side
Report Post Tip
It pains me to have to agree wholeheartedly with Odd's way of presenting the events and I wish to publicly apologize to Philly for the disrespect brought forth by Unification and the shame this puts on the city of Chicago.
Report Post Tip
I have often spoke about the qualifications needed to run your own family, or even your own caporegime. This incident should make it obvious that rank, alone, is an insufficient qualification. You also have to have half a brain and knowledge as to how this thing of ours works.

We are left with the question..."How in the holy fuck did this guy get his auth?"

When deciding to give someone an opportunity, you have to stop and ask yourself if they are really up to the challenge. Don't just give them the opportunity because they happen to be your butt buddy. In times past, this poor judgment would have led to the death of nearly 30 mobsters under TDK's guidance. Luckily for them, we are humanitarians these days.
Report Post Tip
It is sad to see that not long after being given his opportunity to shine that TDK threw it all away by trying to recruit a sponsored member. Blatant dis-respect like that simply can not be tolerated and the outcome of the situation is fair and just.

Indeed, it is hard to get to grips as to why he was authed in the first place and a shame he has bought more misery and death to chicago.
Report Post Tip
I come here today because I am interested in this issue, and have spoken about it often. I've brought it up time and time again. Recruitment practices in these streets have got to stop. We should not be naive, however, and deny that 'recruitment' occurs in these cities. Whatever you want to call it, recruiting does occur. And it occurs in every city. The fact that TDK took it to a whole new level only makes me laugh.

It makes me laugh because we allowed it to get this bad. We did nothing when we new it was bad a few days ago. And only when it gets to the point where a "leader" (and I use that term loosely) actually attempts to recruit from another family do we do something about it.

We need to do something about it much sooner. When people are getting invites before they say a word to anybody in this community...that's a recruiting practice that needs to stop. When somebody gets an invite for asking "ken i joyn ur krew?"...that's a recruiting practice that needs to stop.

So, I'm glad TDK took it to a new level. Now you can see how ridiculous it has gotten, and maybe some of you are willing to make a change.
Report Post Tip
I must say I'm ashamed of my Bosses actions, and as RHM of Unification, I offer my deepest apologies for this disrespect, and thank him for guaranteeing the safety of the innocent members

Thank you
Report Post Tip
sigh...we knew it was this bad. As opposed to a shiny new car. Yes I know the difference. We knew it was bad a few days ago. I don't know why I had to come back here and correct that, but I did.
Report Post Tip
Am I right in thinking that people are hinting at making "Recruitment" a restricted practice?

Such a move would have... interesting effects on our community. I should think the number of 'rogue' 2 day old gangsters meeting their end will increase, however the number of inactive crew members would decrease. This would leave only those who intend to committ to our way of life and our world to be "recruited", only they would have to find shelter for themselves.

What about approaching people, welcoming them to this way of life, introducing them to the world and then offering them a place within your city? Or should we let everyone work it out for themselves and come to you, the Crew Leader?

I'm unsure of how penalties for recruiting new memebrs would be dealt out, but then that is not my problem to think about...

It would certainly open a few doors.
Report Post Tip
Fisk, you bring up a good point.

In most cases, new members of Our World are brought in by a leader, RHM, or LHM. These people are then taught how to handle and present themselves, and serve the boss in any means necessary. I fear, however, if this practice were to stop, the laziness of the modern generation would set in, and people wouldn't really make an effort to speak with the upper structures of families.

There's obviously two extremes here. Total abandonment of the 'newbies', or 'member whoring', sending out invites to Crime Syndicates before they even know who they are. What we need to do is stop identifying which is worse, and find out the best solution, and to each family, its own.
Report Post Tip
I don't think you're gonna convince people to quit recruiting, Mr Capizzi. It's kinda what we do. You see some nobody makin' money in your city and you think, "Hey, that guy could be makin' money for me. What can I do to make that happen?" People just gotta know how far is too far. It's fuckin' ridiculous that anyone would ever think it'd be okay to recruit people from another crime family.
Report Post Tip
Don't get me wrong, I'm all for spending time on a person, getting them to understand our way of life and how to act and behave, shaping someone into a respectable person, then the reward being them working for you in your city.

Though there is a limit, perhaps a it is needed that people be more vigilant when it comes to recruitment, and some penalties set down for going about it the wrong way.
Report Post Tip
I think there've always been penalties for poor recruitment policies. We've just witnessed it.

TDK had a poor recruitment policy and he is now dead. Problem solved.
Report Post Tip
Well that brings to mind a whole hoard of questions then.

Surely TDK and his associate were aware of the penalties? It must have been known that they would be found out, and punished, for such a foolish move? So what is left to ask, is what was going through their minds?

"This is ok to do"... ?

"We'll get away with this"... ?
Report Post Tip
I think that if we are not going to be alowwed to recruit whitch is up to our Godfathers and mother.

Then maybe every city should have a mentor who's job it is to help newbies to learn this thing of ours and a longer time limit should be set for newbies that are active to give them time to learn and try and join a family, but that is just my two cents worth.
Report Post Tip
Recruitment has always been a tough subject, and has been abused by some with no penalty, both because it went well, they got away with it and they prospered in the end. We have seen people recruit just to kill their members, get their numbers up etc. I think it is all about how you approach the situation.

How often would you see a Don, Consigliere or Boss approaching a low life thug on the street and offering him or her a place in their family? Never, unless its a kid mob on the street corner trying to recruit. We have fallen into this practice a lot lately, and I believe it is not right.

So the right way is.. have small time member recruit? Put up a sign telling others you are recruiting?

In the past, we didnt have as many crime families in the cities as we do today, thus the increase in recruiting and member whoring, due to the need to fill up your HQ for various reasons and it getting harder and harder to do that due to multiple different choices a new thug has. Most new mobsters are bombared with "Helpful mobmails, recruiting mobmails, friendly hello welcome to our world.. by the way join us".. but hey their just being helpful.. right?

I have seen multiple people get taken out due to recruitment, a few of my fathers are to blame for it and paid for it. You all know who member whores and who doesnt.. it just takes those in power to put a stop to it, alter how it is done, or allow it to happen.

We all need members, power, status and cash.. but there is always a right and wrong way to going about getting it in our "organized crime business"
Report Post Tip
Missed this one. I think you do as much as you get away with. If you don't get away with it the you obviously made a poor decision. TDK should have known he wouldn't have got away with pinching other peoples crewmembers and he was punished for it.

But people don't get away with memberwhoring the unsponsored either - they end up with members who barely know how to write a message, let alone understand loyalty or respect so in that way they are punished too - by having a large but very low quality crew who will one day get the CrewLeader in a lot of trouble.

The system we have already punishes the act of sending out random invites so I don't think we need to make it 'against the rules.'
Report Post Tip
I must say i was suprised when i saw THE-SAINT as LHM... i though this was to big of a job for him... this was a big risk, but who knew really this was going to happen. I did'nt really know TDK, but i think he was a friend of THE-SAINT... we must make a difference between friendship and responsabilities. Although these events sad me, i must thankyou Odd. You did what you had to do and mostly for sparing other lives that had nothing to do with this. From what i witnessed so far, these events are not Chicago's way's. Thanks for bringing this to public, as a warning to all of the other citizens.

-The Sneak!
Report Post Tip
I feel recruiting is good, but this was taken too far by THE-SAINT and TDK. OOC speaking, it makes the game grow which is for the greater good but people just need to know not to push it once they do find a family. While I was a leader I asked if they needed help and showed them the wraps. Some joined others did not. Either way it's all about how you go at it.
Report Post Tip
What have things come to around here?

I'm no whore, so I'd never respond to such degrading tactics.

Then again, there are new people to the land that don't know any better.

This is when such actions as member whoring is at it's worst. Taking advantage of the young for personal gain.

Shame on you leaders, personal gain, what do you think this is the Mafia?

Just looking at it from both sides of the fence, that all.
Report Post Tip
Recent events in Chicago's really making me think here... Everybody's debating about "recruiting" ... please note that the word is quoted. Well there are all kinds of people in this world, we here all have choosen a respectable life. To be a respectable man and do things the way a man should. Take the fall like a man if you've slipped. I think the issue... the real issue... is leadership. Choosing a leader and the assistants isnt a small affair. Although i have never been a leader, neither my father but i know that this role is a serious one. Serious enough to think twice before accepting this role. As a leader you have to be fair. To your family, the other family's and yourself. We can choose anyone as a member, but have to wise when choosing a RHM, LHM or any other important role in a family's hierarchy. This said, i also find that well... we all make mistakes. Some that we arent proud of. I am simply pointing out that "recruiting" isnt necessarly the issue. I personaly have witenessed some new members being well... didnt have god's gift when it came to expressing themselves, but after being guided... ended up being very respectable men. Dont forget where you came from and how you started out in this life. Someone was there to show the ropes. Doesnt mean you have to tell him to drive the car! I think here TDK trusted someone to drive when he should of just let him be with the ropes. And he took the fall for this mistake. Lets just remember, friends are friends. Not necessarly leaders. Diplomacy isnt everyones feature unfortunately!
Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: An Extenuating Circumstance
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL