Get Timers Now!
X

May 17 - 05:28:08
Page:  1 2 3 4 [ > - >>> ]
System Wide Password Change. Started by: Squishy on Sep 04, '09 13:41

Today we have been betrayed. I would love nothing more than to come here and give good news, or at least neutral news, however that is not the case. Rather than spin this to not be so damaging, I'll just be open and honest because this situation deserves it.

Our password system has been compromised.

One of our admins, FridgeRevenge, has access to the passwords of users to assist in doing dupe checks. While visiting AngelEyes, he had logged into the computer used by AngelEyes and StJimmy. He forgot to log out. StJimmy used this opportunity to explore the admin functions of the game. As far as we can tell, he has only targeted two players - ButtOx and ThomasRourke. But it would be naive to believe that further action is not warranted. I have set a system-wide password change for security reasons so that we are prepared in case a worst-case scenario was to happen.

I do not expect any problems to arise from this, however, its best to be overly cautious in matters such as these.

Report Post Tip

Is lynching still illegal?

Report Post Tip

it's good to know that people who have been granted chances in game and out of game and have taken advantage of the charitable spirit of the players have basically spat in the face of the other MR members, the site itself, and furthermore Squishy who I know has done much to assist this family in MANY instances.

The fact that they compromised two accounts with some hefty power behind them... this is something that is entirely unforgivable.

Goes to show that some people will always be the dregs of society no matter what you do to help.

Report Post Tip

Guess I shouldve read this before the mail...lol

Report Post Tip

Simply..put how sad... Especially given the help that this community has given to him to help his family.

Report Post Tip

What worries me most is the fact that FridgeRevenge simply "forgot to logout." As a player (and yes, former fired assistant myself) I don't feel comfortable that a person with access to the full database of passwords can be so careless when it comes to something like this.

You know something like this might not have been as severe when there were only 230 accounts to look after but this is a growing game with more people who rely on the trust between administrator and user. This was a breach of that trust and it needs to be righted.

Report Post Tip

A legitimate concern Rourke, but I can't even tell you how many times I have walked away from the ATM machine, only to have found out later that I never retrieved my card. Not sure of an exact nnumber of times but it is embarrassingly high. Sounds like a simple case of human error.

Report Post Tip

I agree with your reasoning, Rourke. Now this is not to say that FridgeRevenge was completely at fault, but I don't believe that we can just forget this whole instance.

Thank you, Squishy, for keeping us up to date on things like this. It is very helpful for all of us. It just doesn't seem right that people deliberately try to wreck this game for us. I hope this will never happen again.

Report Post Tip

A legitimate concern Rourke, but I can't even tell you how many times I have walked away from the ATM machine, only to have found out later that I never retrieved my card. Not sure of an exact nnumber of times but it is embarrassingly high. Sounds like a simple case of human error.

Reply by: KingBenny at Sep 04, '09 14:27

I think the main difference between your hypothetical scenario and the incident that happens here is that your mistake only affects yourself. In this circumstance, over a thousand people were affected. Almost 1300 to be exact. While this stjimmy fellow only accessed two accounts, who knows how many individual passwords he wrote down for his own personal use later?

This isn't forgetting an ATM card, this is leaving a bank vault unlocked with 1300 people's valuables vulnerable.

Report Post Tip

You know something like this might not have been as severe when there were only 230 accounts to look after but this is a growing game with more people who rely on the trust between administrator and user. This was a breach of that trust and it needs to be righted.

It's true that this is a severe issue that should be dealt with swiftly. Squishy has done an amazing job toward rectifying this issue, and informing the user base. Now, as for Fridge, we have been close since I first started on this game. What he did was a grievous error, which was then capitalized upon by a misguided fool. Though I do believe some action must be taken to guarantee that this won't happen again, I do hope that the blame isn't turned toward Fridge for someone who is accessible. StJimmy is the real person at fault here, and he should be dealt with.

Fridge made a mistake, a mistake that I myself have made from time to time, only with Fridge it wasn't on his own computer, and it was capitalized upon.

Rourke makes a lot of points. Who does know how many passwords he wrote down for personal use, but again, this is coupled with a situation that directs most of the hostility toward an otherwise excellent admin.

So basically, let's not stray from the fact at hand. StJimmy should be blamed. Fridge made a mistake, but it wasn't one that any of us couldn't be accused of from time to time.

Report Post Tip

I like to thank all of the admins for working so hard on this wonderful game

Report Post Tip

Honestly I share the exact same feelings with Rourke. I think that it was a big error on FridgeRevenges part but I know for a fact that they were partying so alcohol may have lead to the mishap even. But Fridge has always been a great guy so I'm always going to give him the benefit of the doubt. StJimmy has tested the boundaries and he is a veteran player. I think that he should be banned. I myself have been banned three times and have learned from my mistakes maybe it's time for his.

Also I have to say that people fuck up, we're all humans. If I, Asylum say that somebody has fucked up then they really have fucked up.

This quote probably will explain StJimmy's emotions for this game: Alfred Pennyworth: Because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

I like watching things burn, but not things I love and are as welcoming as the admins and this userbase has been.

Report Post Tip

Fair enough Rourke, although it is still a case of human error in a pretty thankless job. Quit being so disagreeable will ya? I'm trying to kiss ass here for chrissakes.

Report Post Tip

You're doing a top notch job as well Benny.

I'd just like to offer my thanks for the excellent work all our admins do. I'm going to bake you a cake.

~T~

Report Post Tip

Anyone can do it, it can happen to anyone.  We get that.  But it HASN'T happened to everyone.  The standards have been set by Admins in the past where it requires a certain level of trust between the admins, and between the admins and the players.  As much as I love the game and the people that run it, my trust has been compromised in this situation.

I just spent the last 20 minutes changing account passwords to email addresses, bank accounts, credit card accounts... I could go on.  Sure, I've learned a lesson not to use the same password for my game account, but I wonder how many others won't?  I know for sure that if there is ANY slim possibility of this happening again, I can't continue to play here.  This affects my life outside of the game- my finances, my personal records... not just my character Marietta.

Report Post Tip

So basically, let's not stray from the fact at hand.

I'm not straying from the fact at hand at all. While stjimmy was obviously the one who logged into the accounts, viewed the passwords, and generally fucked around for a bit as other players; the FIRST mistake was FridgeRevenge leaving his account open on the computer of a known fuck-up. For the record, I have no problems with Fridge at all. He is friendly and easy to deal with.

Fridge made a mistake, but it wasn't one that any of us couldn't be accused of from time to time.

I'd like to think that the other assistants are more careful than this. To my recollection, this is the first time that the entire site was forced to change their passwords in order to accompany a breach of user information. I would love to forgive and forget, but this is MASSIVE.

When I was an assistant, I made a mistake. I sent my playing account roughly $100,000,000 to buy myself bodyguards and upon discovery of this, I was fired/killed on the spot. I harbor no ill will for this situation. I was completely guilty of willful violation of the trust between assistants and users and I removed myself from the game for over a year. Today the error of FridgeRevenge's ways surfaced and he hurt himself, the position, and all 1300 users. Just because he is a close personal friend of many, including Assistants and crewleaders, does not mean that he should avoid similar punishment.

Report Post Tip

I agree with Rourke,Fridgemade a mistake but as others said it was "Capitalized" by a fool. I think the only person we should blame is StJimmy for taking advantage of Fridge's mistake.

Report Post Tip

"The fact that they compromised two accounts with some hefty power behind them... this is something that is entirely unforgivable."

The level of the accounts is frankly immaterial. Sure it's arguably worse that Jimmy deliberately targeted two accounts which had had massive amounts of work put into them; but even if he'd simply gained passwords for IA's so he could log them in and get more kills for himself...is still as grevious and unforgiveable.

The simple facts? My personal view of StJimmy (and indeed his wife) have been that they will seize upon any chance and bleed it dry for their own advantage, some may disagree with me here but I can easily reel off some instances where this is the case.

It's easy to bash Fridge here, he did make a monumental mistake; but he could have made this mistake whilst in the nearby vicinity of 99% of this userbase, and nothing would have come of it. It was Fridge's (and indeed our) misfortunes for him to have made it in the presence of people who exploited it and shat all over their friendship with him. Does that make it any less of an error? No, but it's worth remembering these two individuals have shown what kind of people they are on numerous occasions.

Report Post Tip

I think of this situation as this.

Yes, mistakes are made by everyone but carelessness like this can not go unpunished. There atleast needs to be some kind of punishment or warning of some sort.

This could of turned into a very critical and serious situation.

Report Post Tip

Thank you Squishy for taking care of us, like always. 

I was scared at first though when I logged in, seeing that blockquote when you first log in is almost never good.

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For Non RP Talk About The Game (AKA OOC)
Replying to: System Wide Password Change.
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL