Get Timers Now!
X

May 08 - 20:14:27
Page:  1 2 [ > - >>> ]
Teppanyaki Grill and Bar Started by: Ronin on Dec 16, '15 12:52

Ronin's third business venture in the states was again influenced by his youth in Japan - A "Teppanyaki" style grill and bar in Corktown, Detroit.

Commonly confused with "Hibachi" in the states, Teppanyaki is a style of grilling where the chef puts on a show for the customers while preparing their food. Teppanyaki refers to the type of grill used; it is a flat grill made of iron, much like the ones used in restaurants across America. The chef performed multiple tricks while preparing the food. The chef might juggle utensils, catch an egg in his hat, toss an egg up in the air and split it with a spatula, flip a shrimp tail into his shirt pocket, flip flattened shrimp pieces into diners' mouths, or the classic crowd favorite: arrange onion rings into fire-shooting volcanoes.

He purchased an old rundown restaurant off a poor Italian sap, who should have went out of business decades ago. The renovations began immediately: Ronin had the place completely demolished and rebuilt from the ground up. On one side of the place was the flat grill, where all the food was prepared, surrounded by counter top. Multiple stools stood at the counter, where customers could sit right up close to where their food was prepared. On the other side was a saki bar, where customers could sit and have their favorite traditional Japanese drinks. They could also of course, have the normal drinks you would find in American bars, such as beer and whiskey.

Ronin flew in a few old friends from Japan to work in the place; a couple of classically trained Teppanyaki chefs, and an old flame or two to tend bar and waitress. He also enlisted one of his new men, ConnorMcDavid to manage the place. Connor was a reliable chap, born and raised in Chicago. He was hardened in the ways of the business and Ronin knew the place would be in good hands should he have to go out of town.

The Yakuza of Detroit often spent a good portion of their time at the Grill, where they could sit back and relax with their brethren. They could mingle with the civilians of Detroit without fearing judgement for their tattoos or traditional Japanese attire if they so chose to wear it. It was like a second home for them, and for Ronin as well.

Report Post Tip

The news of Ronins new "Teppanyaki grill and bar" were all over the cities. I was getting tired of all the Americanized Japanese food that's out there and was ready for the real thing. Last time I visited Japan, I made sure I filled my self with food like Ramen, Takoyaki, yakiniku and on and on but it's been years. Rumors are that Ronin has hand picked his own chefs and staff from Japan and the taste/quality is guaranteed to satisfy your need.

Entering the building I hear a familiar yet nostalgic tone.

Irashaimase!

my very own language.

I greet the waitress and sit down to embrace myself for what is to come next.

Report Post Tip

After a brief meeting with his new staff in the back room, ConnorMcDavid walked out into the main room. As the beautiful hostess took her place near the entrance and the chefs began preparing their knives for the truly amazing art they had mastered, it was hard not to be overwhelmed with the honour Ronin had bestowed upon him. Managing the bar that the Yakuza would call home - this was no small task, and not one to be taken lightly.

Approaching the Sake bar with these thoughts in his mind, he decided to take the edge off after a long day of setting up accounts and filing some paperwork for the Detroit Municipality and their business sector. Connor poured himself a small cup of sake and sipped at it as he observed the room. Noticing their first customer, Connor nodded to the waitress with a smile who approached, ready to take their first order.

Report Post Tip

Ronin had a night on the town planned, but wanted that night to start at the grand opening of the Teppanyaki. The building had just recently been finished up, and he was eager to see how it had turned out. He left his Corktown apartment and began his afternoon stroll, taking in the city. It was only a few blocks' walk to the restaurant. It was snowing - December in Detroit was nothing like December back in Japan. Ronin pulled the hood of his cloak up to shield his bald head from the bitter bite of the wind.

Entering, he saw a man sitting up at the counter; the store wasn't even open yet, but he obviously was connected in ways that which he could get in early. Ronin assumed Connor owed him gambling money. Connor himself was standing at the Sake bar, (>.>) preparing to have a drink. Ronin strolled over and clapped him on the back.

"Everything looks great, Con! I think opening night is going to be a hit! Pour me a drink as well, won't you Aiko?"

Report Post Tip

I did not notice how empty the restaurant was until I sat down and rested my coat. Christmas was closing by and it was snowing hard outside, so hard I could barely see the street through the window. 

In front of me stood a man....not Ronin, I have never met Ronin myself but rumors are that he's covered in Irezumi top to bottom.
I could tell the man across the counters had a long day, he looks exhausted.

Here my friend, have some more.

I take the sake bottle that the waitress brought to me earlier and poured it into the empty cup the man had by him.
I've always believed that the best cure to a long day was a pour of alcohol.

Hows it going friend.

Just as I finished my sentence, the door opened followed by the cold breath of the weather outside. 
A hooded man enters the restaurant and approached the counter.

He took off the hood and I knew who it was, Ronin.
I raise my cup of sake to greet Ronin as he clapped the man across the counter.

Report Post Tip

As he looks down the bar he sees Sweetsuns raising a cup to him. Ronin asks Connor to excuse him for a moment and he makes his way over to introduce himself.

"Hello there, my name is Ronin. I'm the owner of this establishment. I'm glad you were able to make it in through such horrible weather. Are you enjoying your Sake?"

Report Post Tip

Accepting the second cup of sake, Connor smiles at Sweetsuns.

Thank you, just what I needed.

Turning as Ronin approaches and gives him a clap on the back, Connor extends his hand in a firm shake.

At least its warm in here, that new heater seems to be doing the trick.

Stepping back slightly, Connor allows the two men who just met to become acquainted while he tidies up behind the sake bar.

The chefs were still preparing, awaiting for the first groups of customers to crowd the entrance and fill the room. This has the potential to be a very prosperous endeavor for the Yakuza, a wonderful way of laundering their money, at the very least.

Report Post Tip

While behind the bar, Connor pours Ronin a larger cup of sake. His mind was not quite about him this afternoon, he was distracted by the thousand thoughts of what else he needed to do before the bar was filled with eager patrons.

Here you are boss, almost forgot you needed something to quench your thirst!

Report Post Tip

Ronin smiled at Connor and accepted the Sake.

"Thank you Connor. It has been another long day."

The doors had officially opened now, and customers were beginning to fill the Restaurant. The chinks and clangs of cutlery began to echo through the kitchens. Ronin sat in his stool and admired the masters at work. It was art, really, the way they did things. He sipped on his sake and admired them.

"So Connor, opening night. Let the fun begin, eh?"

Report Post Tip

Looking toward Ronin, Connor grinned.

"Yes, should be fun! I can't wait to see some familiar faces, that's what makes it all worth it."

The two of them quietly sipped their sake as the restaurant continued to get busier and busier. The chefs and servers were handling it well though, these were very experienced men and women. It seemed he would have an easier job managing the place than expected, maybe he could just sip sake and the odd rum on the rocks while he admired the art before him.

As these thoughts went through his mind, he looked over to one chef who seemed to be the most experienced, as he flipped two shrimp around with a knife in each hand, never letting them touch the grill, until finally he let them fall and make contact with the flat grill as the sizzle and steam erupted off of them.

"A fine staff you have gathered here Ronin, truly masterful these guys are. Like nothing I have seen before."

Report Post Tip

"When I was a boy in Japan, I used to love going to watch them. Whenever I had some free time and some spare change I would head down the the Teppanyaki grill near downtown Tokyo and just sit for hours. I missed it, to be honest, and figured I could profit off of the show as well. People seem to be taking a liking to them."

A man approached Ronin and whispered a message in his ear, and he had to leave immediately.

Report Post Tip

The next time Ronin returned to the Tappanyaki was Christmas day. There was at least a foot of snow on the ground in Detroit that year, and the temperature was near zero. The grill was completely void of customers; no one in their right mind would go out in this weather. Only the staff was there, having a small Christmas party.

"Merry Christmas everyone! I have your bonuses!"

Ronin handed each staff member a $100 bill and gave each one a hug or a handshake.

"Connor, let's have a round on me!"

Report Post Tip

Connor had started the festivities a little early on Christmas day, as such he was already well on his way to becoming inebriated by the time Ronin showed up at the Teppanyaki that afternoon.

"Ronin! You are too kind!"

Connor was excited for his staff as each of them were handed their bonus. He thought a small party would be a wonderful way to spend the holiday but this surprise was the icing on the top.

Quickly arranging several glasses, Connor began pouring vodka into each one and handing them out. He was worried about drinking too much of the sake, as it had become a favourite for many of their regulars already.

"A toast is in order!"

Connor raised his glass to the room, as all the staff circled around him and Ronin and raised theirs as well.

"To the Teppanyaki Grill and Bar, it's everlasting success and profitability. And also to Ronin, the man who made this all possible!"

Report Post Tip

Returning back to his hometown after some good nights in Philadelphia with a few family members, Tesla couldn't wait to go and see the Grill he'd been hearing about. He heard Ronin and ConnorMcDavid talking about it for a few days now. Tesla took a cab from the airport and gave the cab driver directions to the new place. 

After about 30 minutes the cab driver stopped in front of the building with a big Japanese style sign on top of it saying Teppanyaki Grill and Bar. Tesla exited the cab and walked towards the door. When he entered the smell of meat and fish quickly came to him. He walked passed a couple of tables seeing people enjoy their dinner. A few of the younger men where  drunk, close to harassing one of the waitresses. He then noticed Ronin and ConnorMcDavid sitting at the table at the end of the restaurant. Walking towards them Ronin called out to him:

"He Tesla, come and join us for some drinks. He you," he pointed to a waitress by the bar, "get this man a beer and another round for us."

Tesla joning Connor and Ronin at the table and waited for his beer to arrive. 

Report Post Tip

Connor was absolutely beaming at the sight of Tesla entering the bar and walking up to them.

"Tesla! My friend! So good to see you. How have things been, well I presume."

He finished off the last of his sake just as the waitress arrived bringing them all fresh drinks. She cleared the empty glasses with a smile towards each one of them.

This was the happiest Connor had been in some time, things were looking up in Corktown and the Teppanyaki grill and bar was doing exceptionally, and practically running itself to boot. He wondered what DeanWinchester was up to this evening, as he took another sip of his sake and sat with Ronin and Tesla.

Report Post Tip

Things certainly were looking up in Detroit. The family had grown and expanded, and continued to grow. More expansion was on the horizon. Ronin sat there in the Teppanyaki, looking out at his friends with pride in his heart.

"How about a round on me then, fellas? Lets bring in the new year right."

He signaled for the bar wench to give them each a shot; three doubles of whiskey to be precise.

"To Corktown!"

The three men tossed back their shots and slammed their glasses on the table.

"So Connor, how are things on the other side of town?"

Report Post Tip

He shook his head after the shot, he never got used to it. 

"To Corktown boss"

Sitting there he was wondering and thinking about the bright future ahead of all of them.

Report Post Tip

Connor chimed in with a grunt.

"To Corktown"

He winced slightly as the alcohol hit the back of his throat. 'That should cure that goddamn soreness' he thought to himself.

Looking to Ronin with a smile and a nod, he responded to his question.

"Things are looking well so far over there, although the journey to the Teppanyaki is a bit farther now, and the HQ is covered in odd drawings, figures and props. DeanWinchester has really been having a heyday sprucing up the place. Bars are up in the windows though, and the place is huge, now it is time to focus on filling it."

Connor paused before continuing.

"However, there is one thing that bothers me. Dean, bless him, has got to be one of the most popular mafioso I know. His mail is constantly cluttering our mailbox and the majority of it is, well, pointless really. Although he assures me it comes with the territory, I think he may be downplaying it a little. That man just loves to shoot the shit!"

With a laugh, Connor grabbed his sake and took a rather large gulp, almost sputtering some of it up. 'Maybe it's time to slow down' he thought, as he smiled at his friends.

Report Post Tip

Napping nimbly walked through the streets of Detroit being careful of inattentive steps from above him. As he was walking through the business district his cute fuzzy whittle nose picked up the scent of freshly seared seafood. Something so alluring merited further exploration.

As always he followed his nose through the passages of the business district until he reached the door of the restaurant. Lucky as usual the door was propped open enough for him to squeeze in with minimal effort. One day these places will install kitty doors.

Noticing an open spot near the grill he hopped up onto the seat and curled up basking in the warmth of the grill. This was a good spot to nap until someone brought over something for him to snack on.

Report Post Tip

It really has been a while since last time Suns entered the Teppanyaki Grill and Bar in Detroit.
He remembers the last time was when it just opened up. He met up the store manager Connor and the Owner Ronin.
The food was wonderful but the Sake was the best.

Suns entered the Bar and dusted off the snow.

Report Post Tip

Detroit Business District
Replying to: Teppanyaki Grill and Bar
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL