Get Timers Now!
X

May 21 - 15:18:40
Page:  1 2 [ > - >>> ]
Your Right to the Truth Started by: Anna on Jan 04, '16 00:10

Slightly bored during a prolonged power cut, Anna had been reading some of the transcripts she had had gathered of recent street conversations by candlelight. As the candle was burning low, she finally came to the conversation held immediately following Godfather Chairman Kimble's announcement of a protection order to be placed on the remainder of the members of the fallen crews of Toby and Philadelphia. As she scanned through it, she saw some complaints, similar to complaints that she'd read earlier following the speech explaining the tragic tragedy that had claimed the lives of the deceased, that more detail was required of the Godfather Chairmen. Sighing, exasperated but not surprised, Anna put the papers down and blew out the candle. 

Pulling on her coat and walking down the stairs, she had an internal debate on whether or not saying something was worth it. Probably not, she decided, but she'd never really let that stop her before. So, with a grim resolve, she set out to a local bar frequented by many of the mafiosi that passed through Brooklyn.

As she arrived Carlo's, she nodded to the young lad working behind the bar, who knew her drink order well. As he busied himself in preparing the drink, she leaned against one of the pillars supporting the high ceiling and added her own noise to the babble, commanding the attention of those around her. 

"What rights do we have, friends, as mafiosi? Free speech? Not in the conventional sense. Say the wrong thing to the wrong person and you'll swim with the fishes. The ability I have to speak my mind here and now is protected by the fact that if a cop walked through these doors, he'd have the shit kicked out of him before he reached the bar. The right to a long and happy and unthreatened life? My friends, we all know we gave that right up the day we did out first job for our crew, the day our name became associated with any of theirs. The right to be protected by the rule of law? Don't make me laugh. We make our own rules."

The young lad from behind the bar had brought Anna's drink over to her - a Bay Breeze. With a quick smile, Anna broke off to take a sip, nodding her approval as the drink hit her tastebuds. 

"So, I think I have established that as mafiosi, we have few traditional rights, and in my opinion, many more responsibilities. Our way of living comes with it's own rights and perks. 

Why I'm here today, though, is because I'm still unsure why so many people feel the need to make public demands of Godfathers to explain their actions. I truly and wholeheartedly believe that the average person on the street - no matter who your mother or father is, no matter how or when they died, no matter if it is their deaths you want explained to you or someone elses - does not have an automatic right to demand that Godfathers make them privy to their thoughts and decisions. Our Godfathers and Godmothers have reached the top of our way of life. If they choose  to explain themselves, then that is one thing. But to go about and demand they they explain themselves to you, especially as a thug or a gangster, seems completely and utterly fucking obscene really. 

Yes, it's nice when the Godfathers and Godmothers decide to share the reasonings to the masses. But do we have a right to hear it, much less a right to try to demand it? I really, really can't bring myself around to feeling as though we do."

Feeling better after voicing her thoughts, Anna takes another long sip from her drink, nodding to the lad behind the bar for another as she did so. 

Report Post Tips: 2 / Total: $100,000 Tip

Dizzi had stopped in for a drink. As everyone's attention was drawn for the topic at hand, she got lost in thought on it. Turning slowly she smiled her carefree smile before speaking up.

Thank you for bringing this up. I am going to start off by saying that you can't demand anything around here. You can ask, but it doesn't mean it is going to happen.

However, when speeches are brought up to shed some light on events that have happened in our community I find that the whole truth isn't often there. Do I mind? Sometimes. It can be very irritating but at the same time I can understand that no one is going to air everything out for the whole world. That is just silly.

A saying comes to mind, "there are two sides to every story", and really we would be missing the other side anyways since they have just met their untimely death.

Just my thoughts on the matter though.

Dizzi turns back towards the bar and orders a drink. She figured she should stick around to listen a little bit longer.

Report Post Tip

Aislin had just settled on a vodka tonic when she saw and heard a lovely mafiosi by name of Anna speak. She turned around in her seat as Anna managed to successfully capture her attention, the subject at hand was one Aislin had been mulling over herself  for quite sometime.

As Anna made her points, Aislin grudgingly agreed that most if not all that was stated were things upon which she had thought to herself at one time or another.

She chewed on her bottom lip -not out of nervousness, but simply out of habit as she collected her thoughts. She wanted, no needed to speak on the subject and simply could not leave before she had done so and with that thought Aislin stood up, with drink in hand she began speaking...

"I would tip my hat to you dear Anna, but I fear that I have left it at home. I should start off by saying, I agree with everything that has been stated thus far. I find it down right crazy and outrageous for those mafioso's who feel so strongly about needing an answer to their why. Who are you to demand that a Godfather supply you with truths. Its quite laughable really. A Godfather, did not happen upon the throne that he or she sits on -it was rightfully earned through dedication and hard-work. They do not need or have to supply an answer to whatever the situation maybe, it just is and sometimes its as simple as, because they wanted to, and shouldn't that be good enough. Who are you or I to question their decisions, decisions that they rightfully earned to make".

Aislin took a hefty swallow of her drink, and looked around the room once more before taking her seat again, feeling content, the most content she has ever felt in a long while.

Report Post Tip

Cato took some time to collect his thoughts. He folded his hands in his lap, and rested back against the park bench. He straightened his tie, stood up, and began to speak in his low Italian tone.

Rights? Rights are the necessary consequence of believing that God simultaneously grants both equality and power. That all men can be made equal yet have one with the divine right to be King or that some men are fit to rule over others. This is the oppression of the law and those who enforce it. God gives us rights, and God ain't in the Mafia. Money and power are our purpose; if you don't have it you aren't worth it.

Your real rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness as an American are rooted in the mutual interest of both the society and the government to maintain peace. Rights are due to a collective "agreement" (or contract, if you're a political philosopher) that it's better for everyone involved if we just leave that shit alone. But there is no mutual interest between the dead and the living, is there? No debt is owed. It's not "better for everyone."

Or is it? Is it wise for a regime to set the precedent of killing individuals, crews, or districts without a public cause? Does that bode well for pragmatic and honorable individuals seeking to thrive without violence? That, perhaps the grim trigger of collective self-interest has been pulled by a bus accident? Or are the leaders simply so confident that they're unafraid to risk setting such a precedent?

Who knows. But no, it's not a right. God isn't here to tell you why your daddy died, and he's not gonna make me do it either. So you're just going to have to get used to the silence.

Cato looks around, realizing he'd been talking to an imaginary antagonist for some time. Hoping he hadn't startled anyone, he sits back down on his bench quietly.

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $25,000 Tip

Insane detects some bitterness coming from Aislin. Oh dear aISLIN, Drinking is not the solution. Maybe that is exactly why your lineage met their maker as a direct result of poor decisions and trusting your so called friends.  

Report Post Tip
Far as I'm concerned, only cowards bother to lie about reasons. Generally to save themselves the earache the truth will cause.

Better to say nothing at all, than to spit in the face of the deceased with lies.
Report Post Tip

AS far as I am concerned Cato hit the nail on the head and any further response assists the auther in eyes. Is that not what this dumb read is about?

Report Post Tip
Excellent, I have to admit I love this and share the whole sentiment, wholeheartedly. Above all else we’re a business, we’re here to make money, to control our own piece of this place and to protect our own, this is the mafia way, its always been this away it will be this way long after we are gone.

This is and will always be a hot-bed of contention for people to understand given the very nature of most of the “needed information” after the streets run red with the blood of our brothers, such is the nature of the beast. Should we be given all the nitty gritty, for the lack of a better phrase on what happened? No we shouldn’t is the simplest answer. A simple, to-the-point NO!

Like I’ve pointed out we’re a business, why would a powerful and influential business man of this thing of ours come out here, the streets and explain to everyone who stands here what happened and how many people they killed? How on anything in this world is that good business sense. The local cops sit and drink in these watering holes, there are spies everywhere, it just doesn’t make sense.

The main issue runs down to us as a community (terrible word) we have been spoilt of late, because of that we now have come to expect this information and to be drip fed through the process of what happened, it’s a ridiculous notion, it really is.

Do I love a good heated debate on this here walkway, hell, of course I do, who doesn’t? Do I love a good conspiracy story, fuck yeah I do. I do enjoy the aftermath, I do enjoy seeing the dead’s relatives speaking out and calling shenanigans, yep, yep I really do. Nobody is entitled to be privy to that information unless the people in power want us to be, I can deal with that, just how it is. Such is the nature of this thing that we have.

If it is the information regarding a killing spree that just took place, only the people who kneed to know, should know and if the assassins want to “lie” about the reason, who are we to second guess that? if we are the ones asking the questions then we are not privy to the information for a reason so we have to take whatever reason we are told, this is simply just the way it works.
Report Post Tip

I personally would never dare to make any sort of demand from a Godfather but I understand the reasoning behind the demands from the usual lot who make them. It's not like we're talking about well respected Made Men+ making these demands but usually the ones who have recently had to go to the morgue to identify their next of kin. They're a little traumatized, so, it's understandable(although not acceptable, obviously) that they would make those demands. They're never going to stop making those demands because they have nothing to lose. 

If anyone or anything is to blame for this it would be tradition. The long tradition of Godfathers explaining themselves to the masses. As far back as my journals go, there have been Godfathers of my ancestors who have come out onto the streets to explain why a war happened, city was wiped, etc. Going against that tradition can be a hard thing for people to understand and/or accept. Especially people who recently lost a father or a mother.

Report Post Tip

So why are you being a hypocrite don-luke?

Report Post Tip

I don't particularly understand your point, if you care to elaborate, id happily thrash this out with you.  

Report Post Tip

if we are the ones asking the questions then we are not privy to the information for a reason so we have to take whatever reason we are told, this is simply just the way it works.

No, we don't.

We can see the reasons for what they are and we can lose respect for those that speak them. Just because someone is in power and makes the rules, doesn't mean that their actions go un-noticed. The journals of many will always come back to bite their descendants in the ass, just as it has always done.

The fact remains when in power you can always do what you want until such time as someone with as much power gets sick and tired of watching you work and decides to end your time in this thing of ours. If you want to prolong the inevitable then you act in a manner that will not cause unnecessary tension, or if you care not for how long you will be at the top then you act however you like and do whatever you like and you accept that it will eventually be your un-doing.

C'est la vie.

Report Post Tip

After a difficult day Raymont stopped for a quick drink, before going home.

Entering the bar he heard this cute lady talking about the last incident. Thoughts come into his head.

For days now he thought about the friends in the shoot out. Most of them gone forever.

As it seems people hasn't changed that much from the time his father was in town, a year before. Same story. In one night the life of his bestfriends gone, for a plan that never came out.

So? It is really possible to learn all the truth?
Never the less, ask your Godfather to tell it to the people?

''It's a nice thought Anna, but i believe is too idealistic. For a lot of reasons the truth cannot come out. Especially right after the killing sprees. Sadly everything happens for a reason, but the reason will always be hidden to the minds of the people who make it. So i believe that all we can do is manage our own bussiness and hope for the best.''

Raising his glass he says

''In the leaving memory of the friends and family we lost. R.I.P. ''

Raymont finishes his drink and decides to take another one.

After all life is too short to be sober.

Report Post Tip

I definitely agree with this speech.  Thank you for bringing it to the streets.  We don't have the right to ask, nor should we demand that Godfathers give us reasons for the decisions they make.   That should be the bottom line.  But it never is.  We have created a system where Godfathers come out and offer explanations why they do certain things.  The question is - can they now stop doing what they've now done for a long time?  Doubt it.  Probably can't put the genie back in the bottle.  

Report Post Tip

*MB looks on* 

It is a balance, As we have witnessed a handful can make a difference. So those making decisions have a certain obligation to off logical reasons for mass casualties and for sake of argument lets call a mass casualty anything involving a Leader and upper structure. This is because the grumblings of a few can sway the winds of change. 

Do we have the "right", I guess in the pure order of things No. However, that doesn't mean we don't deserve the respect to know on some base level why things are happening. 

Report Post Tip
"We can see the reasons for what they are and we can lose respect for those that speak them. Just because someone is in power and makes the rules, doesn't mean that their actions go un-noticed. The journals of many will always come back to bite their descendants in the ass, just as it has always done"

You can dislike, disagree, call it bullshit all you like, the simple fact remains that if you do not have the power to do so something about it, then you take it on face value. I'm not saying you take it as gospel, im saying you have to, unless you're in a position to question it and do something about it, then you take it on the chin.

Yes it might come back to bite them, but you live and die by the sword, my point was this, while you may call it all the bullshit under the sun, you have to take it for what it is. If you can do something about, then maybe you don't.

most of the masses who call out for information (none CL folk) cant really do much about it anyway, if a city ehad doesn't like or disagree with a reason then they can do challenge it.
Report Post Tip

Thank you for your speech, Anna. In my opinion it is about time this issue was addressed, and this is a point of view I have expressed previously.

The principles that underpin our way of life are relatively simple. We live in a relatively simple hierarchy, and we live in the knowledge that at some point in time, we may meet our untimely end. The mafia is not a profession in which longevity is guaranteed, or indeed expected. Indeed, those who make these decisions are under no obligation to disclose the thought processes that lead to such actions being taken. Of course, it is understandable that an individual whose close relative has passed will be angry. However, they must learn that the position of their ancestor gives them absolutely no right to demand answers should they not be willing to give them. If those in the position of authority do or not, is entirely up to them. But they should not be expected to do so, and nor can they be forced to do so.

Report Post Tip

As yet another drink lands beside her, Anna begins to speak once more. 

"Firstly, I must thank you all for taking the time out to listen to my speech and I must thank especially those who have taken the time out to reply. It's nice to see so many people sharing their opinions on the matter. I could be here quite some time if I replied to every comment made individually, so instead I will pick a few particular points out."

Anna drinks from her glass and turns first to Cato.

Is it wise for a regime to set the precedent of killing individuals, crews, or districts without a public cause? 

"Some very eloquent points well made, good sir. I'm picking up particularly this session to address the point about setting precedents. Precedents change over time. In the earlier days of our way of life, from what I hear, one could not decide to just "leave" a crew they had taken an oath to join. Transferring between crews was scarcely, if at all, possible. Blood in, blood out and all that. Our way of life seems to be less restrictive now in many cases, for better or for worse. While I would personally prefer for reasoning to be given and a speech to be made after a war or a takedown, I accept that it is the right of each leader to choose. And honestly, with as many leaders running around as we have these days, it doesn't altogether surprise me that often speeches are not made. But I still don't believe that gives the children of the deceased, or anybody, for that matter, the right to run around publicly making demands of Godfathers.

I don't think it is so much a case of individual deaths going without public reasoning - as far as I am aware, that is not an overly strange situation - however I can definitely accept the case for public accountability. It probably is in the best interests of a leader to explain their actions.

However, there are only so many different ways to dress up why any given war has happened, surely? And how truthful do we think leaders throughout history have been with their reasoning? I know my line has made note of some post war speeches in particular where bus accidents are a much more realistic cause of death than some of the puerile crap that has been invented."

Sipping from her drink once more, Anna turns to L.

It's not like we're talking about well respected Made Men+ making these demands but usually the ones who have recently had to go to the morgue to identify their next of kin. They're a little traumatized, so, it's understandable(although not acceptable, obviously) that they would make those demands. They're never going to stop making those demands because they have nothing to lose.

"L, thank you for coming out today. While I agree that these men and women have been through a rough time and that often they are not fully in possession of their proper sense, the troubling thing is that many of these people then go on to be Made Men and above. There quite often seems to be literally no comeback to demanding shit of a Godfather in the speech at a young age. What kind of mafiosi will these young thugs and gangsters grow up to be, when they are taught from their earliest days that it is acceptable to make demands of the Godfathers? Disrespecting a Godfather is disrespecting a Godfather, and, in my opinion, no man nor woman has nothing at all to lose, no matter their recent family circumstances."

Finally, Anna turns to Money-B, draining the last of her drink as she does so.

Do we have the "right", I guess in the pure order of things No. However, that doesn't mean we don't deserve the respect to know on some base level why things are happening. 

Where I come from, respect is earned, not given. As a wide eyed thug or gangster, no matter who your mother or father is, you are generally expected to earn your respect. This is why I have to disagree with your point. If a person has earned the respect of a Godfather, then surely they can go to them privately to ask the reasons for certain events transpiring? Why should the Godfather feel the need to come and shout it from the rooftops for anyone and everyone to hear? And what have the people who make demands of Godfathers done to earn the respect that allows them to know on that some base level why things happened?

Report Post Tip

*MB Smiles* 

Anna how cliche "Where I come from, respect is earned, not given." of you. Based on your statement, if a gangster or thug etc hasn't earned any respect what so ever then why do Leaders constantly protect them from becoming canon fodder? It is because you are afforded some base level of respect, of course that is either built upon or lost depending on your actions. As far as "PEOPLE" making demands, that comes with the shiny robe and it's arms of shiny glitter ( LH and RH ) titles. To a very large degree, it is par for the course when you accept one of those positions. Now if we want to discuss delivery and how it comes across that is different. I will give you two scenarios - 

A: Fuzzy Bottom Nibbles was a friend of my family (lineage), do you know what happened or why we had to take them down? 

A1: Fuzzy Bottom Nibbles was a cool dudette, why did we take them out? 

B: What the Fuck bro, why did you shoot Fuzzy Bottom Nibbles

B1: For Fucks Sake, why did you take out Fuzzy Bottom Nibbles you ass hat... 

See the difference, one is respectful and mindful while the other set is rather douchesque in nature. 

The Godfather, should not feel the need to do anything they do not want too. How ever it is in their best interest to keep the huddled masses at minimum at bay. Feeding them enough information to settle the growling tummy's of descent with out giving away city or family secrets. You can say, "most of the masses who call out for information (none CL folk) cant really do much about it anyway" as @Don_Luke did but the reality in our world is that is simply not true. Be it through backroom dealings or quiet growth and partnership those huddled masses can do a fair amount of damage if organized well enough. 

So I guess if you want to spin it, the Godfather doesn't owe it to the streets or a demanding crowd. They owe it to THEIR family and those they protect to be savvy enough to balance the politics of our world with the sense of privacy dictated. Otherwise, they are just stoking flames, that will eventually grow to engulf them. 

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $25,000 Tip

no man nor woman has nothing at all to lose, no matter their recent family circumstances.

Okay, okay, perhaps I was slightly incorrect in saying that they have absolutely nothing to lose but they certainly have less to lose. Typically when they make these demands  they aren't sponsored by anyone just yet, they haven't invested time and money into this way of life, etc. Plus they're young. The young do stupid things sometimes, it's in their nature. 

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Your Right to the Truth
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL