Get Timers Now!
X

May 19 - 20:57:28
Page:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [ > - >>> ]
The Rose Tattoo Started by: Via_Parile on Feb 22, '16 03:20

Out of the way of the city lights, and dark alleyways, but still just on the wrong side of the tracks stands a large brownstone out of place only for being the only structure on the block not in danger of being condemned. The shady neighborhood provides little cover, as well dressed people are often seen entering the front doors and not coming out for hours at a time, well into the night. Suspicious? Perhaps, but the inhabitants of the dingy quarter keep oddly quiet and the police aren't seen too often around, unless it's the commissioner himself walking inside with whichever flavor of the week fits the bill and takes the pay. Whatever happens inside the building at 201 Nightingale Avenue seems to be a profitable venture for not only the owners, but the surrounding tenants as well.

No signs or other markings on the property indicate exactly what the building is used for, and the dark tinted windows gave little opportunity to spy on the occupants, though very few would dare venture that far. Only on the large wooden door, at the main entrance of the building is carved a large rose in full bloom; the building on Nightingale deep in Black Bottom known as The Rose Tattoo.

But on the inside... through those doors lies a world far gone from the dingy streets of Detroits's ghettos and rundowns. Far from the cries of elder ladies shouting after petty thugs, and liquor store holdups. Brutally social, a hideout for the civilly disobedient and morally decadent, The Rose Tattoo is known to entertain politicians, crooks, and sometimes both at the same time. Inside those doors, names and titles lose their meanings and bygones are long gone. Why do they come? To escape the humdrum life of the big city? To flee into the arms of scandal inside the best known secret of the south? A bit of both would probably be the closest to the truth, but leave the truth and inhibitions at the door; they're not welcome here.

Report Post Tip

He walked with purpose, but stopped at the door.  He raised his hand, but before he pushed he took a long look to the left, and then another to the right.  Still, he waited.  He gave it another second just to make sure, then he pushed through the large wooden door.  He took the card out of his pocket, looked at it one more time, then replaced it.  

This is the place.  

He looked around, didn't see what he was looking for, and then headed to the far back corner as instructed.  He took off his coat, folded it, but kept it with him, and placed it on the seat next to him where he sat.  He motioned for the waiter. 

Ah, do you happen to have Dr Pepper?

Having received an affirmative response, he smiled.  He sat back, relaxed for a second, and waited.

Report Post Tip

After having a bit of a private conversation with Via, Lily realized that The Rose Tattoo wasn't actually a tattoo parlor but something even better. It was a club, had nothing to do with tattoos at all. After their brief conversation Via had invited her to stop by sometime and tonight just happened to be that night.

Yes she had some stuff she probably should have been doing other then going out but that stuff could wait for another day. She had been given a card to the establishment from Via which had the exact address on it and for easier access to the place in case the place was packed to capacity. 

She had one of her drivers take her, it had been a while since she had driven herself anywhere. Almost seemed as no one wanted her to drive anymore. Which was fine by her, made her life a bit easier.

Lily got out and walked to the door, it was big and wooden. It looked quite heavy, she wondered how funny it must have been to see a bunch of guys struggling to get that thing in place. She chuckled a bit then pushed the doors open. There were a couple people there but not as many as she thought but she was there kind of early for a nightclub but this was good she could claim a spot early. She stood in the doorway and glanced around seeing if there was anyone there she noticed. Just then she noticed a familiar face sitting back in the far back corner.

It was Will.... WillHayes. He seemed to be there by himself so she decided to pop over and say hi.

"Will!!!"

Report Post Tip

Her eyebrows perked at the whispered news.

Yes, thank you. I'll be out in just a moment.

The attendant nodded and excused himself out of the room. Via looked at the papers stacked on her desk. Invoices, Receipts... Contracts. She laughed, short and joyous as she recalled a conversation she'd had with Will less than a week ago. Old habits die hard and the game kept catching her. But it was a game she played and played well. 

But not tonight.

She pushed back her chair and walked over to a half-round table on the opposite side of the room. She took the lid off a crystal decanter and slowly poured herself a finger of scotch. Sipping, she looked at her reflection in the gold-framed mirror above the glassware. Not a hair out of place, but her eyes looked a little more tired than she would like. She pinched her cheeks sharply and then rubbed her cheekbones to dull the flushing red to her face. 

Much better; a little color to take away from the tired eyes. She set the scotch down, smoothed her skirt, and left her office behind her.

As she walked down the stairs, Via spotted Lily right away. It wasn't difficult. She'd chosen a stunning dress for the evening and though she arrived alone, eyes were watching. Nearly half the band setting up was gazing in Lily's direction. Via couldn't help but chuckle. "She's a bit out of your league," she thought as she reached the last step.

Then next to Lily, she saw him. He rose to greet his boss and exchange pleasantries. His back was to her, but Via knew that posture, those shoulders, and the impeccable tailoring. Despite her best efforts, she couldn't hide the smile tugging at the corner of her lips. 

Report Post Tip

He rose to greet Lily, smiled, and said hello like they would in the old country by kissing both her cheaks.  He offered her a seat by pulling a chair out from his table. 

Lily!  How are you tonight?  Please, sit.  The band is great tonight.  This is Via's place.  I hope she's around here somewhere, and can come join us.  

He hadn't yet noticed Via behind him.  He looked once more at the band, then inched toward his chair before turning his head. He saw her and lost his breath.

Report Post Tip

Her lips parted when Will turned and met her eyes. For a split second she thought to feign embarrassment at being caught watching him, but realizing with the lives they lead, playing games and feigning being coy was a luxury that time didn't afford. She raised her chin an inch and allowed the tugging to become a full smile as she descended. When she reached the table where Will and Lily were, a waiter was already finished filling water goblets. He replaced the silver pitcher on a a serving tray beside them and held up two glasses for Via's approval. One, a shorter, rounded goblet and the other a longer stemmed more oval glass. She opted for the latter.

"It's early yet. A white to start please. The case that came in yester evening. That will do."

The waiter placed the three long-stemmed glasses on the table, picked up his serving table and left quickly. 

Via stood behind her chair and smiled genuinely toward Lily. "I'm so delighted you accepted the invitation. I know its a terrible part of town. Part of the reason why I chose this old building. Out of the way of prying eyes, and you can't beat the rent!"

She chuckled turning her face to Will with the same genuine delight in her eyes, but with a different tilt to her smile. "And Will, always, always a pleasure."

She reached in, as he did, to kiss him on the right cheek, then the left. "I was hoping you'd stop by as well."

Report Post Tip

His smile was visible in his eyes as his lips met one cheek and then the other.  

Ah, Via.  As always, good to see you.  And of course I'd drop by.  Thanks for the invitation.  

He took a look around while waiting for Via to take the seat waiting for her.

The place looks great.  And this band is really playing tonight.  

He sat, the smile remained.

Report Post Tip

She sat, crossing her ankles and smoothing her skirt in her lap. When she looked back up, she saw the bottle of Sauvignon Blanc on its way back to their table, and the half smile that had been following in her mind the past two weeks. 

They're terrific, aren't they? The singer will be on in the next hour if you stay. Some of the most incredible range you've ever experienced. And not bad to look at, or so they tell me. 

Once the glasses were filled, they shared the obligatory toast to good times and good people and sipped. It was one of her favorites and it sat well on her tongue.

Do you like jazz, Lily?

Report Post Tip

He listened for a moment, enjoying the sounds of the jazz.  He picked up his glass, took a sip, and replaced the glass on the table.  

Mmm,  that's quite good, he thought to himself as he listened to the conversation. 

While he waited for Lily to answer, he leaned in toward Via, and whispered,

I forgot to tell you, you look great tonight.

Report Post Tip

She closed her eyes and smiled, trying to hide the heat she felt rushing to her cheeks. The wine offered little cover but raised the glass to her lips regardless. When she opened her eyes and replaced the glass on the table, the stole a glance over to Will who'd returned his attentions to Lily and was pretending not to catch Via's eyes. That playful smile, yet again. It drove her mad, and she loved it.

Report Post Tip

Will sat back, but couldn't help but smile.  he stole a glance here and there, but the smile stayed.  He crossed his leg over the other, gently brushing against her calf.  

Oh, I'm sorry.

He picked up his glass, took a sip and replaced it on the table.  Every once in a while, he'd sneak another glance, trying desperately not to get caught.  

Report Post Tip

The band played on the night. The Rose Tattoo had no closing hours posted. The energy of the hall usually dictated when people began looking for the door, but tonight would be a late one, she could tell. Perhaps her mind was clouded with the wine - they were on their second bottle - or the electricity of his seemingly innocuous touches. She knew him to be a man of deliberate action, and somehow this schoolhouse behavior, so out of character for Will, made her feel young and unburdened. Finally, she pushed her chair back and stood.

"Lily, if you'll excuse the departure," she smiled down at the woman who had taught her so much and helped her in her transition to life in the states. "But I think the dance floor is calling me. I've been sitting far too long and I think I need to move before this wine takes over."

Via placed her hand on his shoulder, lightly and squeezed. "Do you dance, Mr. Hayes?"

Report Post Tip

The chilly, evening air clung to Sofia's cheek like an unwelcomed, icy kiss.  The dry, cold of Detroit was going to take some getting used to.  Already, back home, the weather was warming and spring was beginning to wake the vineyards with sunshine and light rain.  The thought made her smile as she stepped out of the taxi.  Tipping the driver with a bill and a soft smile, she stepped up onto the curb.  A gloved hand pulled a slip of paper from her coat pocket.  

"This must be it," Sofia thought to herself, 'Might as well get some work started while I'm waiting." 

Briefcase in hand, she walked over and pushed the door open, noting the intricate rose carved into the door.  The establishment seemed somewhat out of place for the surroundings, but that was not out of the ordinary.  Sofia had not gotten much information about the man she was going to see- only that he was the best person to talk to about expanding the Viacelli Wines to Detroit.  

Once inside, the air was immediately warmer and quite welcoming.  Sofia shrugged off her coat and laid it over her arm while she removed her gloves.  She was dressed in a navy blue skirt suit, matching pumps, and a string of pearls.  Her long, dark hair was arranged neatly in a simple twist, held with a pearl comb.  

She paused to hang her coat on a rack near the door, then switched the briefcase to her right hand and stepped into the main area, observing the layout.  She glanced at the name on the slip of paper again.  Will Hayes.

Report Post Tip

He watched her every move.  As the gentle touch of his shoulder came, he'd already decided he would follow.  

Dance?

Eyebrow raised.

At that moment, he couldn't think of anything better.  He took her hand in his and they glided to the dance floor.  The band was in rhythm with their steps as he turned her to face him and slid his hand toward her hip. 

Anything for you.  

He almost didn't but did notice the door, and the young lady as she entered.  He sighed briefly, hoping the dance could continue, if only for a few moments.  But he leaned in.

She's here.

He whispered.

Report Post Tip

Of all the things she wanted him to whisper in her ear... She sighed, slightly disappointed and held her watch up to check the time. At least she was punctual. Via should have asked for the dance sooner. 

"I have my office upstairs if you'd like. It's a little busy down here to discuss deals." She pulled away slightly to look at his face but notice his hand lingered on the small of his back. She smiled, a hint of satisfaction in her grin. "But I told you I'd help with the Streetbar and after my disastrous wine choice, I think I owe you this. If you've never tasted a Viacelli wine... you haven't lived."

When he let his hand go, she turned to the door to see the new girl. Via had met Regina ages ago, and this newer generation bore a striking resemblance. Via felt the pang of fleeting youth as she spied the industrious beauty in the very tasteful, and very fitting blue dress.

Report Post Tip

He sighed, smiled, and allowed his hand to linger.  Perhaps too long.  But he nodded as she spoke, glancing at his watch, and then around the room.  

Yes, a litttle too much activity down here.  Let's use your office.  

He was still whispering. 

And when we're done, perhaps we can finish this dance.

His smile had returned, and he took her by the hand. 

Now, come, introduce me.  Let's hear about this wine.  And your old friend.

Report Post Tip

Looking up from the paper, Sofia thought she spotted a familiar face.  A man and a woman were approaching her from the dance floor- and the woman's face was stunning, and familiar.  Sofia smiled upon recalling a picture she'd seen a few years before.  

Sofia quickly smoothed down the front of her suit jacket and skirt and, somewhat out of habit, touched the pearl necklace and smiled as the drew closer.

"You absolutely must be Via Parile.  Zia Regina told me so much about you- it is a pleasure!"

Holding the briefcase with one hand, she extended her right hand outward to Ms. Parile.

Report Post Tip

"Sofia," Via took the extended hand and gave one polite shake, then waited for Will to do the same. "It's a pleasure to meet you in person. I sorry I made you drive all the way out here, but it's generally where I like to talk business, and I thought you and Will should meet."

"Come."

Via stopped by the table to excuse herself once again from Lily, but found that she too had left the table and seemed in rapt conversation with a face Via couldn't quite place. Satisfied that social courtesies were met, she continued to walk through the crowded floor and made her way to the stairs up to the second floor landing. Via led the way into her office and through the double doors at the end of the hall.

The office was comfortable but not lavish. Modestly decorated, but far from spartan. The desk was the most ostentatious thing in the room. A personal prize that most wouldn't understand, stolen from a particularly nasty upper echelon member of the Schutzstaffel. She'd had the eagle and swastika sanded off the top of the desk and replaced with a more generic seal. But left the silver plates in the drawers as a reminder that even the most iron-clad regimes could be infiltrated... and hopefully toppled.

"Please, sit." She indicated four overstuffed leather tufted chairs and a small round mosaic wood table. "Now that it's quieter, Will, I'd like you to meet Sofia Viacelli of the Viacelli Vineyards. Sofia, Will Hayes."

Report Post Tip

Will stood and waited for Sofia and then Via to sit.  He, again, leaned in to shake Sofia's hand and smiled politely as he took his seat across from her. 

It's a pleasure to meet you, Sofia.  Via has told me wonderful things about you and your vineyard.  

But unwilling to push straight into business, Will instead sat back and offered a drink.

Where are my manners?  Can I get you anything to drink? Or eat?  I'm sure you've had a long journey and would like a minute to relax. 

He looked to Via.

Happen to have anything to drink in your office?  

He knew she would, and while she got up, he called down to ask one of the servers to come up with a tray of some fruits and other morsels for them to snack on. 

Report Post Tip

Sofia nodded her head once, most respectfully, taking his offered.

"Mr. Hayes, it is a pleasure to meet you.  I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to meet with me, as I know you are a busy man.  Let me assure you, your time will be well spent."

Settling into the comfortable seat, Sofia crossed her ankles and smoothed her skirt over her knees.

"This is quite a fine place you have.  Is Detroit your home?

Report Post Tip

Detroit Business District
Replying to: The Rose Tattoo
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL