Get Timers Now!
X

May 14 - 01:04:52
Game Suggestions
0 Watchers
Page:  1 2 3 [ > - >>> ]
Mentor Started by: Bloedsuier on Jan 08, '10 13:08

After some thinking and reading through the help guide, I have came up with an idea. >.>

The help guide is great, however it is long. Never members may be discouraged by the size of it. My idea is simply that when a new member signs up, they get a mentor.

These mentors would be selected by the admins, like the helpdesk members. The mentors would receive a message when the person joins, telling them they are to be their mentor. The person would receive a roleplayed message, similar to the one they receive upon joining already. This message could be created by the mentor, or a preset message from the admins.

The benefits of this, would be that the newer members would have someone to turn to for help. I am not suggesting that they ask them everything, but just a push in the right direction would be useful. The mentor would have limits as to what they could answer. For instance, if the new person asks about shooting IAs or training their gun, the mentor could only tell them about the shooting range.

The mentor would not be a permanent figure in their character's life, only until they reach the rank of Made Man.

In the 30's I am quite sure a new member of the mafia or an associate would have someone to look up to and ask questions. Some will say that is what the family is for, however, before the person joins a family, they could speak to the mentor about which family they wish to join. It would stop members from just accepting the first random invite that comes their way.

Report Post Tip

This can be, and is, easily implemented by the players in having sponsors act as mentors.

Report Post Tip

1. Not everyone gets a sponsor.

2. A mentor could help the new member pick a family.

3. Most sponsors do not take their job seriously.

Report Post Tip

1. If "everyone" got a sponsor you'd see dozens of people be assigned as sponsors every day to the IA accounts.

2. I hardly think people need any assistance in getting into a family.

3. I'm not sure how you can make that omniscient statement, but I would submit it's up to the crewleader to ensure their sponsors are doing so. Furthermore, if you're already saying that sponsors suck WITH a crewleader directly overseeing them, how could they possibly be better if they're automatically assigned to fulfill the same function as a mentor with no one overseeing them?

Report Post Tip

1. I meant as in the fact that not every member of MR ends up as an associate. Some go straight into the family.

2. I did not say getting into a family, I said choosing a family.

3. As I stated in the initial suggestion, the admins would pick mentors, much like the helpdesk appointees. Also, I did not say sponsors suck, I said many did not take their job seriously. Which is evident by the many sponsors with multiple dead associates. A mentor would be one of the people that actually wish to help new members. Not just a sponsor that a leader has chosen.

Report Post Tip

I think it would be a waste of time. A lot of new people go IA, so it would waste a lot of the mentors time explaining them everything just so they can go IA. I think its fine just the way it is now, with sponsors and associates. 

Report Post Tip

I feel that if every player had a mentor upon joining, they would be much more likely to stay. Also, it would not really be a waste of time, seeing as most new accounts that go IA stop playing within the first 5-10 minutes.

Report Post Tip

yeah but that's at least 5-10 minutes everyday for lets say 4 people thats 20-40 minutes. who would the mentors be? 

Report Post Tip

As I stated above, the mentors would be people that applied for the position and then would be picked by the admins. The people that "wasted" their time would be volunteers.

Report Post Tip

1. How would the mentor help them choose a family? 

Would they give family information to them? 

Doesn't that deny everyone the equal opportunity to recruit members, since the mentor would advertise only a few families. 

Report Post Tip

The mentor would simply advise them to choose wisely and help them make the decision.

Technically, leaders are not supposed to recruit members. Members are supposed to come to them and learn about their family.

The mentor idea could possibly push members to find out more about a family before joining.

Report Post Tip

How would they help them make a decision? 

Since the mentors would help them get started, what would the point of sponsors be?

Report Post Tip

Sponsors are a form of mentoring. They teach the new member in the ways of the family. A sponsor would further their education. However, not every new member gets a sponsor.

They would help make the decision, for they would be an unbiased opinion.

Report Post Tip

How is a mentor supposed to know wether or not a certain family is good or not for them?

Report Post Tip

They won't. They will encourage the new user to speak with the family heads and get their own opinion.

Without someone to talk to about it, a gangster is likely to choose the first invite thrown their way.

Report Post Tip

wouldn't a mentor just want to have them join their own family under their sponsorship?

Report Post Tip

No. That would not be the job of a mentor.

Report Post Tip

Why should this be hardcoded in? We have more than enough Help Desk personnel available to provide assistance to new members.

What is stopping you and a group of willing participants from forming your own mentoring group and helping new members.

Leaders may be discouraged from recruiting, but they are not discouraged from providing helpful advice such as the shorter tutorial directed toward the first 48 hours of one's life available under the Help menu. Nothing is stopping them from encouraging their members' efforts to recruit. Nothing comes in between members that are experienced volunteering their services to those that are new.

In the past I have sent out a "welcome" mail that does not in any way imply that I am recruiting...

She approaches you with a cautionary smile and hands you a booklet entitled The Cosa Nostra Handbook

Hello, and welcome to Mafia Returns. I know you have received a letter of greeting from the Administrative team but I would like to personally offer my assistance in making sure you can find your way around our world. If you are not new to this world please forgive me for my boldness in offering a helping hand.

As you take the handout in your hand she smiles softly.

I understand you may have already been contacted by someone offering the same help as I am but I just wanted to make sure that you felt welcome amongst us.

The first little while can be intimidating and you may feel there is no one here to help you. That is where you are wrong. There are many of us that are more than willing to help those new to these cities.

If you need any questions answered please feel free to contact me. This is in no way a solicitation to join our family, but if you are interested in joining The Pharmacy don't be afraid to ask.

Here are some other helpful things to read..

She rummage through her handbag and produces a few more pamphlets.

http://mafiareturns.com/comm/thread/17911/tpass/94c51eee5bc2e556ec2f048bc93899a2

http://mafiareturns.com/comm/thread/17796/tpass/eeda7436f880e858896261f4ea4681ed

http://mafiareturns.com/comm/thread/3908

She bows her head in respect and turns to find another soul to help.

What is stopping you and others from doing the same or similar? What is stopping us as players from doing the work and welcoming new players ourselves without admin intervention?

Report Post Tip

I agree, a lot of veteran players already assist most of the new players, so their is no need of admin interference.

Report Post Tip

DLS, I have received nearly that same exact mail many times upon creating new accounts. However, while I received the message, I received nothing else. All that message does is point the new player in the right direction. It does not shape them into a good player or give them a reason to stay on MR.

Every time I received a message similar to that, it was from a leader. Whether you call it recruiting or not, the chances that the new player would join you are much higher if you sent them a "help message."

My opinion on this suggestion still stands and as I have already heard from the admins, I do not believe it shall falter.

Report Post Tip

Game Suggestions
Replying to: Mentor
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL