Get Timers Now!
X

May 20 - 14:01:39
Page:  1 2 [ > - >>> ]
Button Men - What does it mean nowdays? Started by: ______ on Feb 01, '10 12:23

The nameless man wanders into the streets, a look of confusion was slapped across his face. He drew a pack of smokes from his pocket and slid one into his lips, ready to light it.

Balls, Never got a light when I need one...

Grabbing a close-by thug and making him empty his pockets he had aquired some matches, he lit his smoke and muttered a thank you before taking a long drag. His shoulders slumped with relief as he exhaled.

Thank god, needed a smoke so bad to keep my cool.

I'm here today to pose the question, "What does getting your button mean nowdays?".

Now, you may wonder why I have come up with such a random question, but in reality it reflects on a situation I observed within the last few days. Recently we saw the demise of the Godfather of Detroit, after such a long reign as godfather, you would have expected all below him to have strong Ideals of Loyalty.

Apparently not.

He sighs and takes another few puffs on his smoke.

A Made Man, it's when a Mafioso gets their "Button". They are part of the family, they have proven their worth to their leader. "Back in the day", Yeah I am one of those people whom have been around long enough to use this phrase, being a made man meant making a Blood Oath. A blood Oath which connected you to your family until death. Once you were given the honour of getting your Button, you were expected to fight for your family if it ever came under attack. No matter if the Outcome looked bleak, for your Honour and Loyalty, you fought even if there was to be no chance of Success.

He took a moment to take a few more drags on his smoke and let the words settle in.

The relevance of me mentioning what a Made Man should do for his family comes in when we saw Detroit crumble. Detroit came under attack, no matter the dire cirumstances, each and every "Button" man should have fought for their leader. To the death.

Finishing his smoke and throwing the butt away, he took a deep breath before continuing.

So, why is it that I saw these "Detroit Button Men" fleeing their family HQs, and pleadging alliegence to new leaders? Does their loyalty to their family depend on their own survival?

I would expect this from an accosiate of a family, Wise Guys and the such, whom have not taken this sacred Oath to protect their family at all costs. Now, I do not pretend to know of every Button man from detroit's whereabouts, yet I have noticed two which have done exactly as described. Broken their Blood Oath to protect their family and saved their own skins by joining other families and cities.

How can these people ever be trusted by their new Leader? If they were so fast to be rid of their old Loyalties for the sake of survival? How can they have taken this Oath to protect their family, then Flee at the first sign of trouble?

He shakes his head in frustration.

So, I ask for them to come forward. Explain how they see the rank of Made and above, explain their reasoning behind abandoning all they swore to defend. I was going to leave their names a mystery, but I think that the world should know the names of these unhonourable mafioso.

So, -Future-. Ex-Boss from Detroit, Now a Boss of New York.
So, -Xanxus-. Ex-Capo from Detroit, Now a Capo of St. Louis.

Care to comment?

Report Post Tip

______ I too have strong feelings about this subject, and I am also one of those that can say "back in the day".

I have seen many men and women stand in these very same streets saying the very same thing you are. Most of the time, their words fell on deaf ears. Others that heard what they were saying simply said it is the evolution of things, this is how it is now accept it. I fear we will never go back to the way things used to be.

Myself, as well as many women in my family that are no longer with us, strongly believe in "going down with the ship" if you will. I agree that once you have been made you become one with your family and should fight until your last breath to protect them. However, I will admit there was a time that had a past family memeber of mine going to another family instead of dying. Everyone in both families knew what she was doing and why and all agreed it was a good idea. So, we shouldn't be quick to judge those of this most recent war that have gone to another family. You never know what goes on behind closed doors.

Report Post Tip

I agree with you completely on this issue, Sir, Hey, Whatever.

I remember reading through the journals of my ancestors about a time in which the city he ran came under attack. Many of the Made members of the city were slaughtered in their sleep, but one particular bucket of scum comes to mind who rather than using his gun to protect his city, jumped ship and joined the enemy to save his own skin.

He was later given permission to run his own family out of his "new" city a short while later, which further makes this situation even more comical. Needless to say, it was a sweet day when my father was able to aide in the take-down of these people some months later, and he smiled particularly big when this turncoat was finally fitted for a pair of cement shoes.

Under no circumstance should a Made Man of any city not fight to the death to protect the man or woman they took an oath to serve. If you've been branded with the tattoo of one family, and signed your name in blood, that is something you should take to the grave.

Report Post Tip

Getting 'Made' differs from city to city - some places make a person work to get Made, so show initative and some leadership - these are cities with strong families.  Other cities are keen to get as many members on the books as possible.  I can see the reasons behind both.

I personally think that a CL should shoulder responsability for any actions by their Made members - and that this should go beyond the elimination of a troublesome Made member.  Exactly what, I'm nto sure.  But should a Made member shoot a member of an opposing family, the shooter's death, in my opinion, would not be enough retribution.  Large sums of cash or even a random reprisal killing would be just desserts.

Equally, a Made man with an Associate who goes rogue should be liable for the Associate's action. 

If these things were enforced, who gets their button would be tightly controlled.

For me personally, getting my button will mean a lot - a sense of achievment, belonging, respect - but a lot of responsability too

Report Post Tip

I'm sure they deserve to speak for themselves before we judge them. Who knows, there may be some sense after this move..

Report Post Tip

It's simple really. Made Men/Women are members of a crime family. If their family goes to war, they are should be required to participate and not leave to join another family. Also, no other family should be willing to take them in, as they are bound to another family.

One should die with honor instead of deserting a sinking ship.

Report Post Tip

Dean listened quite intently to the comments made by "WhatsHisFaceNoNameWhoCouldItBeIDontGiveAFuck" and said to himself that today seemed like a fine day to make an actual appearance.

I would actually like to take a crack at commenting. I know that I do not make an appearance very often and that is mainly due to the fact that most of the time arguments posed to us in these streets are answered by individuals who already have a grasp on many of these concepts or it could be due to the fact that I couldn't be bothered wasting my time schooling every so called "well-adjusted" individual.

But you have come out here and made valid points of which I agree with entirely.

Firstly, I won't apologize for housing one of Detroits Ex-Bosses and the reasons as to why will come to follow.

The "Ex-Boss" from Detroit, now a Boss of New York was given shelter AFTER the last war. Well I shouldn't say war, it was far from a war. A definite take down, one executed quite beautifully.

During this take down, I had been contacted by some of the leadership residing within Detroit asking for a favor. To shelter those who may survive during all the bloodshed, to which I responded, "Associates only". I was then asked again to house those who had no idea of what was going on, those who were still asleep from a heavy night of drinking and screwing, a night that could have made Godfather Deimne proud. Members who COULD NOT protect themselves AND did not participate in what had occurred.

Now don't get me wrong, I understand fully how to deal with certain so called individuals jumping ship and trying to weasel themselves into another establishment only for self preservation. You sink with your ship. This duty does not fall on just your Captains shoulders but those who received their "Buttons" as well.

Now taking all that into consideration, when approached by that Ex-Detroit member, I took into regard all of the above before making my decision.

He did not return fire, he did not assist Detroit during this take down, heck he was not even awake during this time. He served his people well and woke up that very afternoon after a heavy night of drinking to realize he was all alone. Would you shoot yourself in the head if it had been you standing there all alone? No you wouldn't. You came to this country alone, made it as far as you could until somewhere along the line, someone reached out to you and brought you into this thing of ours.

A Don of Detroit had asked me for a favor. One I gave based on my own calculations and on my own merit system. Those who I turned down during that take down should understand why I did it. Yes your boss(es) may have asked for that particular favor and yes I did them that favor based on my own requirements, it was nothing personal. Don-Constable does not need to come out here and explain himself to you or anyone else. He received a letter outside his front door when he went out for his newspaper, that very letter suggested he should contact me and isn't he glad it had my name on it and not something that looked like fresh turd pasted onto the tarmac after being driven over by a Post Truck.

I have not yet decided where he stands in terms of rank within my structure but be rest assured that I see everything and I will make that decision when I am good and ready.

Putting people into your pockets does not start with the generation of today.

Report Post Tip

Whilst I agree with you that those that have earnt their button in one city should die fighting for that city if necessary, there are circumstances where it just doesn't happen that way. Before I go on, one thing I will say is this, whilst you have every right to air your opinion and questions out on the streets, I'm not sure you're quite important enough to be directly calling out NY or STL and asking for their explanations. 

With regards to the circumstances, I need look no further than my own father for someone who joined another city immediately after his Godfather died. Why? Because it was the smart move. Godfather Tallien died, and within the hour, BoabyWanKenobi had been given refuge in New York. Does this mean he lacked loyalty? Not in my eyes. Not too long after that, the attacking cities had been razed (no thanks to Boaby btw, but the other cities on these shores) and Boaby was back in New Orleans, in charge of the city and continuing the work started by Tallien. Sometimes you do the smart thing, especially when you are not actually answering to anyone anymore because they're dead. If their Godfather was dead - I'm speculating here because I've no idea of the timings here - and the war was long over, I can at least understand the decision, even though it may not have been my own choice had I had to make that call. 

Another thought...you don't know their intentions such a short time after the event. How do we know that they've not just smooth talked their way into another city with plans of their own to cause a little destruction? As I say, there's nothing wrong with discussion and asking questions, but by giving it such clear context, I don't think you're doing yourself any favours.

Report Post Tip

I'm not sure you're quite important enough to be directly calling out NY or STL and asking for their explanations.

I never pretended to be Important enough to demand an Explanation, infact I was rather casual in my approach. Using the Terms "Care To Comment" is an invitation to explain, not a Demand.

Now, I do not pretend to know of every Button man from detroit's whereabouts,

This was not a personal attack on any City, merely poiting out those that I had noticed.

So, -Future-. Ex-Boss from Detroit, Now a Boss of New York.
So, -Xanxus-. Ex-Capo from Detroit, Now a Capo of St. Louis.

Care to comment?

I was not calling out New York or St. Louis on the matter, but inviting the two Mafioso mentioned to comment.

Report Post Tip

I believe its as simple as Space Moutain phrased it.

Under no circumstances should a MadeMan flee a family to another during a time of war.  Jumping ship shouldnt even be an option.  On top of that, no family should willingly take in a MM from another family during a time of war.  Just the fact that they decided to jump ship speaks of how unworthy they are to be MM. 

I dont think people realize the importance of becoming MM.  Its not just a title thats given to you.  It should be a title that you earn through hard work and sacrifice.  You have to be willing to sacrifice your life for your family with no questions asked.  I just dont think MM is what it once used to be.

'______' can call out the 2 mafiioso that decided to leave their families in war time, but i dont think any excuse can justify their actions. 

Report Post Tip

I totally agree with you on this issue no name,

My opinion, I believe once you have Being made into a family, It means you took a pledge to stand by you leader by showing Honour and Loyalty i.e., you die/fight for that family, not turning your back the  first sign of trouble. However I would go down with my family whatever rank I am.

"In the end actions speak louder than words."

Report Post Tip

Erractic i believe you put it beautifully. 

If a group of words could sum it all it up it'd be exactly that:

In the end actions speak louder than words.

Report Post Tip

I should really know this, but I don't know whether the members in 'question' hailed from Return_of_Ghost's or Apollonia's family. If it is the former, I would find it very hard to stomach the fact they have timidly scurried away, tail between legs, to join another family instead of honouring their oath to their Boss. However, were they trusted members of Apollonia's syndicate I truly cannot begrudge their unwillingness to fight their leader's corner. Apollonia took a massive shit over any oath her made members made far before they had forsaken their own pledges.

I think this is a fantastic demonstration that oaths, no matter how sacred, are only worth anything if honoured by both parties. If I swore loyalty to a leader who reduced my oath to nothing by abandoning me then you're damn right I'm going to renege on that loyalty.

However, in my capacity I would find it extremely difficult to trust a button man of any other family who came to me for work. Certainly, any such made guy who joined our syndicate would find themselves with a button damn quickly; only to re-earn it after they'd proven themselves to their current leader - and no one else!

Report Post Tip

Fair enough, Ignacious, I had perhaps misread your intent and either way, it's only detracting from your main point. At the level of ideals and fundamentals, I don't disagree with you. However, mobsters can be self-serving, it's in the nature of some....especially when their city has been flattened and the leaders they once worked under have long since gone. As I say, there are circumstances where it happens and we, as outsiders, don't necessarily know the full story.

Report Post Tip

Leans up against a business' wall and watches as all the men and women in the streets were discussing loyalty & in particular, the lack thereof in the demise of Detroit. _____ had made some valid points and many others in the street agreed with him.  It was amidst the rumbles  of approval when her ears picked up on TheDean's voice and drew her in.  She didn't really have much to say on the subject, as she agreed with what most of NoName had to say, but she was enlightened by this Consigliere from Detroit and the point he had to make.   

TheDean I agree with most of your reasoning and deduction.  I too am one who can say "back in the day" Bell can't help but half-way smirk at that statement.  I know what it's like to lose family in their sleep, slaughtered & murdered with no chance to defend themselves or even understand the entire situation. I know of the Valentine's Day Massacre.  Pushes herself off of the building and stands up straight and smiles.  While I agree with _______ on loyalty especially of those who are Made, unless these two men who have been called out can be proven to have been  making arrangements to flee the Detroit scene because they knew what was going down, I don't see anything wrong with housing them and possibly making them full fledged Family.  Granted, keep an eye on them! They must prove their loyalty as if they were Goomba's, because experience in the lifestyle does not make up for the fact that they are still strangers to the Family.

With that said, and it being more than she initially wanted to say, Bell pulled her sunglasses down from on top of her head and started off down the street to go handle some business.

Report Post Tip

Sneakyrat listens carefully to what Mr.______ has to say about high ranks changing ships...

I understand what you are saying Mr.______ and i agree up to a certain point. You see there are many reasons why a "captain" or "leutenant", for that matter, abandons ship... we cannot judge his actions until we learn all the facts. Maybe there was a certain agreement between two party's althouth i am not aware of what the leaders do or say at all times since i am only Lhm. I only get glimpses of what i am allowed to know, and what i know remains in my mind since i have taken the blood oath.

One thing for sure i am loyal to NY and will always remain there... unless there is no more NY for me to live in... although i honestly doubt i will see the day of this happening. Taking the blood oath means what ever happens in your family stays there, and you stay faithfull until you die. But when the family no longer exists... what are you to do? Can you really blame somebody for finding a new home? Or is he simply to throw away the towel and retire? Or would it be better to continu working his way up and maybe become Captain one day and help rebuild Detroit? He surely would be of a better help as a highly honorable rank than a hard working low rank still stuggling to climbing the ladders to the big leagues.

Sneakyrat steps down and leaves room for the others to reply...

Report Post Tip

Monty walks up in the middle of the conversation quickly figuring out what was being said.

"Mr. umm, well, mind if I just call you nameless for nwo?  I have to agree with what you have been saying here.  I too am one of those who has been able to say back in the day.  I remember a time when the Made Men in a family were the first to fall because their enemies feared they would rise up with more families of their own if they lived.  Now they are left alive to flee their beloved city and swear their loyalty to another.  It's just not right."

Monty looks around noticing he suddenly attracted something of a crowd and quickly recomposes himself.

"Alright, simply put I'm upset to ever hear of this, let alone live to see it.  I worked long and hard just to make it to where I have, and can tell you now, if, heaven forbid, anything were to happen in this family, I would be the first to stand up for my city.  I wouldn't run off to the next town and hide until someone else opened their arms to me, then move myself across the country to live somewhere else.  No, in fact I would be the loudest I could and let everybody know that L.A. was in fact still alive, and rally the remaining members of the family to stand as long as I could get them to.  This being said, and with no disrespect meant, I hope every man who betrayed his home and him families memory in such a way lives forever so they may enjoy the life their disloyalty brought them. Thank you everyone."

Monty tips his hat to thenameless an again and starts back off down the street.

Report Post Tip

M_Stracci lights up a cigar and starts to talk.

"Listen, umm... sir, I happen to have a good explaination to these two fellows. You see, my father was in the same gang, and he was killed during the war. I later found out that the leader had saved the remaining mafiosi by having them leave offiacialy. Note that this happened with only five men left in Detroit. Were they supposed to kill themselves?

Report Post Tip

Eddie listens as all the ancient wise ones hand out gems of wisdom. "Someday" he thinks, I will be a wise one too. He steps forward.

Rather than give an opinion that doesn't matter, let me pose a question. Why did the whole city go down? This case in particular intrigues me. What I mean to ask is why after the Godfather fell did the other captains decide to go down? I don't understand how you could be loyal to a dead man and sacrifice your people for him after he is gone. Sure I understand his immediate family being a real risk and should be put down. But I don't understand how an attacker could continue to have his/her members die once the main target was killed and a truce could be called. Scorched earth policy? And now I am hearing in the face of overwhelming odds the only loyal thing to do is order the deaths of your people? I am not questioning the actions taken, they were brilliantly executed and intelligently conceived. I just struggle to understand how killing everyone happens instead of just lopping off the head and setting up a reverse tax or something all business like.

Eddie waits for an answer or a bullet.

Report Post Tip

G walks to the crowd to make his point, he removes the cigar from his mouth and clears his throat so the crowd can hear.

Recently I have recieved the Button, to me it means everything I am now a fully fleged member of the LV family, I will follow my CL and Godmother in anything that they do, if I am the last person standing regardless of what the war/take down was about I will not defect to another family I will stand tall and defend my family till my last breath and I would do that regardless of rank.

Loyalty should be at the front of everyones minds as CL take us in and give us protection and put themselves on the line for us we should do the same for them even in their death.

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Button Men - What does it mean nowdays?
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL