Get Timers Now!
X

May 20 - 17:06:56
Page:  1 2 [ > - >>> ]
What's In A Name? Started by: -Lucifer- on Feb 07, '10 16:34

Lucifer stomps over to a group of people gathering around the town square, and steps on a soapbox, which then collapses underneith his weight, shouts to Zuldazar to come over, and go into the dog position, finding Zuldazar much more stable than the soapbox, Lucifer stands on Zuldazar and begins his speech

"I have come here today, to ask "What's In A Name?""

Zuldazar suffles a bit, almost toppling Lucifer over, but regaining balance continues

"I mean, if you had to choose who would become a Crew Leader in your city, and someone was called "BonerMcJizzStain", or someone called "JesseJames" and lets say Boner was a much more experianced player, and has already shown to be capable of handling a family, or Jesse, maybe not as well known, less experianced, and has not fully proven himself, but you feel he is capable, would you choose the person with the funny name, but with experiance, or with the business name and then not as much experiance, I am just wanting to know peoples views on this and whether the name of someone would affect your choice of Crew Leader reprosenting your city, I'm open to both sides of the arguement."

Report Post Tip

I think your name is just a tag, It's action and leadership take comes into effect when choosing, regardless of name.

He ponders for a moment..

Well that's what I would expect.

Report Post Tip

Grim listens into the speech and decides to throw his two cents in.

"Well personally I would do some foot work and ask around for the better CL, but I do see your point Mr.Lucifer and understand the point of this."

Report Post Tip

But Surely Mr Underline, Someone with a name like the one I said, surely wouldn't be taken as seriously as someone with a very professional name, and therefor being a better Crew Leader I imagine.

Report Post Tip

I do recall a Crew Leader by the name of DukeMan1078 or something close to, my point is it wasn't your typical mafioso's name but with hard work and great loyalty that man worked his way to the top.

Advantage steps back, prepared to be corrected on the name

Report Post Tip

Names mean absolutely nothing in this thing of ours. Its your character, how you act, how you carry yourself and the ability to make good decisions make a good CL. Not your name. It's one of those things like, you can't judge a book by it's cover. You have to read it, to see what it is about.

Laila smiles and heads back to working on her Sizzling magazine.

Report Post Tip

Were I in a position of power, I would never choose to authorize the set up of someone who had so little care about how people viewed him that he would cultivate and promote the use of a demeaning nickname for himself.  I would wonder what aspects of our business he would handle with so little care.  Additionally, were I in need of employment, I would have had a hard time seeking the protection of someone named Mr. McJizzStain.

Report Post Tip

The choice of name your mother gives you is completely out of your control, and It does not effect future development when growing.

Leadership and Interllect choose.

Report Post Tip

Evelina, So your saying that you soley jugde someone on their name? If I were in a position of power, I would rather authorize someone with a "silly" name, who has shown great leadership skills and proven themselves worthy, than a person with a "normal" name with little or no experience.

Report Post Tip

Zuldazar shuffles Lucifer off his back and stands up..

Ahhh thats better, Now...

Zuldazar takes a breath

______ and Laila.. You both couldn't of said it any better. Its not your name that does the acting and the talking.. Its what you as a person does. I mean some people are born with a name.. yet the walk around going by their nickname. And if anything.. People with the more funny name are more likely to be remembered by.

Report Post Tip

I speak more to the choice of promoting the nickname.  In our line of work, the use of an alias may be quite beneficial.  If there is to be an element of choice, I would prefer to work for someone who made a better choice.  I never said that I would auth the other canidate either.  Experience is important, but not all experience is beneficial. If I wanted to auth someone, I believe I would spend some time mentoring the professional person whom I believed could represent my family with the greatest care.  For me, that person would do his best to present an image of strength, and not instead, allow people to refer to him with a name that would only disrespect his position.  I believe that first impressions are of vital importance.  People remember their first impressions for far longer  perhaphs than is fair or warrented; however, that does not change the fact that people remember.

Eve shrugs, I am just offering my honest opinion.

Report Post Tip

Well, a name means nothing when it comes to Leadership.

Those whom demand respect from positions of power work around any name their mother may have chosen for them. I remember a Don by the name of PriceOfCheese, yet his name never hindered him.

Report Post Tip

I was just looking at the records, and noticing something from Kendra that mentioned PrinceOfCheese, it is quite coninsidental that you should mention him. Though I would say that what you said about loyalty is true, if someone does show to their Crew Leader that they are loyal, and are worthy of getting their own crew, then yes regardless of name, they will probably get the position if it opens up.

Report Post Tip

As ______ states, names are simply a Tag and nothing more. Loyalty, hard work and respect are the key attributes to great leadership and running a successful family.

Also throughout the years their has been dozens of leaders with terrible names and again, as already previously stated, this has not hindered them in anyway, or caused an issue in the past.

Report Post Tip

Zuldazar must also agree once again with ______. There have been many leaders who have had some weird names yet they have made a name for themselves and people still remember them today. People like..

Handiman, PrinceOfCheese, KingOfOnePercent, RebusDupeoAlricMusic and there have sure been many more.

Yet another thing on this kind of subject is the name of ones family.. So some of you.. You mean to tell us that if the family name is silly you won't join that family either ?

Report Post Tip

You know,I often wonder the same thing,-Lucifer-. If I were ever to become a CL(Which I highly doubt) it would sound weird for people to run up to me, "Hello Don Coach" Weird,isn't it? In fact,I don't even know why I chose this as my nickname.(OOC: Was just in a rush to create another character after my death)

But see,if I had the capability,the experience,and everything else it took to run a good crew,then fuck my name.

Coach lights a cigarette and makes his way down the street,wondering if what he said made any sense at all.

Report Post Tip

Arynn ponders this question for a moment. So many others seem to agree with her, so she decides to throw her opinion in as well. 

I do believe that a name means nothing... It's what you make of yourself that is important. If you are the more experienced player, but have a funny sounding name, that really isn't going to change much. You're still an experienced player either way. 

However, there are some not-so-smart people out there who will judge by appearances, and this includes a name, and may not give you the respect you deserve simply because you were more original and/or funny with your name. 

Report Post Tip

Ha, a name is nothing. I mean sure if you're name is MrPoophead it might raise some questions but per definition underestimating them due to a "funny/weird" would be a mistake.

When _______ join Philadelphia I have to say at first I thought the name his father had given him was totally ridiculous but look at how well he is doing and how well he is making this name work!

Scipita means insipid in Italian, I'd like to think my name does not reflect upon my taste ;)

Report Post Tip

I do understand where you're all coming from, but if you had to choose between two people, who are exactly the same in skill and loyalty, except one of them had a "funny/weird" name, and the other one had a normal name, who would you all choose, I know that your mother gave you the name, but you could adopt a nickname, like ______ who has got many nicknames, or you could legally change your name when you were younger.

Report Post Tip

While it is true that some people may be turned off by a name, and therefor miss out on a few possible new hires, we must admit that the kind of people influenced by a name must not be very experienced either. An experienced bloodline will know that the crew goes way above the name of its crew leader.

Lucifer, when you ask "who are exactly the same in skill and loyalty" I feel you are trying to force an answer, or at least "guide" me into what you;d like me to answer. There are no such two people in this world. No two CLs can possibly offer a similar experience. They have different people around them and they themselves WILL be different.

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: What's In A Name?
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL