Get Timers Now!
X

May 10 - 14:29:38
Page: [ <<< - < ] 1 2 3 [ > - >>> ]
Is money everything? Started by: Erratic on Feb 15, '10 18:11

______ is right .not even sure why you made this post.

It isn't right, at all.

It could well be the case that this is how he chooses to run his family, as is his choice, but it doesn't mean that it's the only way it can or should be done nor does it mean it's the only right way for it to be done.

Some leaders choose to make taxes very low, a negligble amount, so that members can choose when they are in a position to tribute. This means that the strength of the family is dependant on the donations of members. It also means that members are provided with a choice on how helpful they might be, so true loyalty can be rewarded and selfishness can be easily spotted.

There is no 'rule' on how this situation can or must be handled, it is, as with all things in our way of life, down to the leaders to decide for themselves. A blanket statement saying "tributes aren't needed" will never be correct given the differences that exist in our way of life.

Report Post Tip

There's a lot of ways to spend $5,000,000 but there are only 2 things I can think of that have a pricetag of more than $10,000,000. Neither of those items would be necessary for someone who isn't in a position of leadership or soon to be in that position.

I don't feel that there's any specific reason to be extremely rich if you're not a leader. No leader would see a $10,000,000 donation more useful than two $5,000,000 donations. Also the longer you hold money the more you risk dieing holding more cash than you can easily explain which makes the effort you went through to earn that money meaningless.

As part of this conversation I would like to hear more people talk about people using money for greedy reasons such as purchasing multiple bodyguards without discussing it with their leader. What role should leaders have in dealing with people who do such things?

It would frustrate me if someone who doesn't need bodyguards began purchasing them. I think the people in a family or crew should trust their leader to make decisions about who is has the highest need of bodyguards and send any extra cash to their leader. I understand that some families may have standing orders that members of high importance can purchase bodyguards on their own but that's a leader's approval so I'm neglecting that. If a person begins buying bodyguards for themselves without the previous approval of their leader then is that person deserving of their position in the family? Probably not.

Report Post Tip

I never said they are not needed at all.I am a top earner in my family I know how it works.I just did not agree with what you said at all and am confused why you made this post.

Report Post Tip

ChaosSpike, what is there to be confused about really? :/

There have been different views on the subject from all sorts of ranks, so there is my reason for making this speech. You say you know how it works, well frankly, no you don't. That is what you believe is the way it should work, others might tend to disagree, as being proved. So, how about being creative and sharing your views insteead of criticising.

Report Post Tip

Another point in my personal opinion.  Money that could go towards better protecting your family heads can someday keep you alive.

If you bought 1 bodyguard and someone wanted you dead, your dead plain and simple.  But, if you send that money to your leader to further his protection you are in end furthering your existance in this game also.

If your leader dies in a war, in most cases so do you!  If your leader dies in a war, its the end of your family so if your like your family why risk it.  Your son can join this life after your death and take over your position in your family.  BUT if your leader is dead, you can't.

Again the way i see it, hording your money proves you don't have full confidence loyalty and respect to your family.

Report Post Tip

Is clearly intoxicated on Duff when making that last speech.

Report Post Tip

I could not agree more with Godfather Deimne, each family to it's own.

There is no right or wrong on this subject, merely a personal choice to each leader.

Report Post Tip

Bell smiles in satisfaction at seeing some of the leaders come out and address this issue. 

It's nice to know that you guys aren't overly concerned about the amount of cash one is carrying as long as you're satisfied.  I guess my only question would be that if you did care, how would you handle it? 

Report Post Tip

Each case is different. If it's a wise guy sitting on 'Extremely Rich' (as an FYI, I do often review the wealth status of my members when I had a large HQ or now in my role as Godfather of NY the status of my entire city... well, I have minions to do it for me) who has made no effort in terms of tributes, this is a serious problem that can lead to death.

The first step is always to talk with them, in which case the error of their (selfish) ways can be corrected. For some, this will solve the issue and ensure they don't continue to make the same mistake. For others, they will react in a bitter manner and seal their fate with a childish outburst (GRHS all of those who have chosen that path in the past or those who will choose it in the future).

It's a similiar manner to a member buying bodyguards without a nod or word to their leader. I love nothing more than seeing city members with a healthy level of protection. However, if one chooses to do this without so much as a word to their leader, without so much as a gesture of respect and loyalty in making a contribution to the family funds before going down the route of looking after themselves... they are disrespecting their family and their leader. No one person, no matter what high opinion they have of themselves, is more valuable than the family. Should one make the horrific mistake of believing themselves to be deserving of this protection and put themselves ahead of their family, anything less than death and they're getting off very very lightly.

Report Post Tip

Deimne, thank you for your answer.  It was well thought out and well put.  This is basically how I would expect any leader to handle the situation.  

You also touched on another question I had, being how often do leaders actually look to see how wealthy their crews are?  You have your minions.  Bell tilts her head in thought for a moment

Wait a minute, I want minions!

Report Post Tip

I do  understand I am in charge of the financial parts of the family fyi.I agree with Deimne.If they are a healthy contributor and top contributor Good.If absolutly minimal tributes yes I can understand like deimne said.You work for the family and our family we have healthy competition everyone strives to earn more then the other.Now if your done taking shots and trying to make me look stupid I am done.

Report Post Tip

Now if your done taking shots and trying to make me look stupid I am done.

This was not my intention whatsoever at any point, i merely asked for you personal opinion on the subject and now you have given it, so thankyou.

Report Post Tip
Report Post Tip

ChaosSPike a bit frustrated at the fact his flask was dry.He sent one of his men after more.Sorry about that get a bit flustered when I run dry.And I am sure that was'nt your intention devils advocate is'nt easy you know .*He winks and strolls off lighting a cigar*

Report Post Tip

I think it is being selfish, yes. Whether they are holding back donations from a family who rely on them or they tuck away the very few cents they receive after extremely high taxes. I don't see why anyone other then a leader would need to hold that kind of cash (generally speaking). That kind of money can be put to better use when sent up to the boss. It clearly shows those who are willing to put the family before themselves and who are not.

If you kick up the proper amount while also saving for a bodyguard (Which I completely disagree with. If a leader wanted a member to buy a bodyguard they could give them the funds to do so themselves.) then that is one thing. But if you allow 11 million to just sit there in your bank, that could go towards the family, that's just idiotic.

Report Post Tip

Personally I say it's a choice of the leader as Deimne stated.

What i like to do is keep just enough to make drug runs and line the pockets of FBN agents so that I may run my DFP.

it's okay to purchase a BG or two but i do feel it's wise to let your boss know before hso that he or she is aware of why your donations are so low. Not that anyone has to donate.

at least four CD's purchases, one vist to the range, and a contract or two is what one should be able to purchase on a daily bases anything more than that will make it's way to my boss.

However that's just me.

Report Post Tip

This is a very broad question, one must consider many factors. For instance the idea of donating has been thrown around for decades. I would like to think that on first glance it would make perfect sense. The Boss is the leader of the familiy, the boss offers you shelter, protection, advice and guidance. These points are valid to the extent that a good boss offers these things in abundance, being in a small familiy you may have a real chance to form a connection with your leader, through this if they are experienced you may very well learn and prosper under their leader ship. The same however would not be true for a weak leader, one might consider it a waste to donate all their money to a leader who could die just as easily as they could. One could also ask, if this is such a great leader how did they afford a HQ, shouldnt they have donated all their money to their previous leader?  Possibly assuming their leader is dead, however it is much more likely that they recieved this money from a leader who is still alive and that they are simply expanding or branching their power. You may be surprised but this money would have came largely from donations, the new leader is more often than not a big donator, go figure.

Then one must consider loyalty? I for one think donations are seperate from loyalty, we have all seen the propaganda that can occur inside a HQ. The best earners and donators have been praised publicaly for their contributions for some time. I feel this propaganda should be taken with a pinch of salt. The design is to increase donations if you aspire to be a great donator then fine, it could be a lot of fun to compete in these events. It does not increase your loyalty but I am afraid it may increase you worth. I have over heard conversations about high donators inside of HQ's before. If we put aside RHM, LHM and other heirarchy, who are usually well gaurded and donate very generously we will notice that the other top donators seem very weak, usually very few or no body gaurds and often well ranked. It will come as no surprise when a war breaks out these people seem to fall very quickly, they are mourned of course and their offspring is very quickly asked to rejoin the familiy, of course which leader wouldnt want members like this?

Then one would have to consider their own aspirations. The truth is the best leaders have a legacy, the money they recieve from donations very rarely dies with them, it is placed in safe places. It rarely gets returned to the familiy as a whole, it simply gets placed in the account of the person most suitable to continue the legacy. This carry on is very sensible to mantain a strong hold on territory and respect. You will not become part of this circle by donating, this circle usually has a tight bond and your donations will remain in this circle. In fact unless your very important to your leader there is every chance you will never see a reward or return on your donations. So if you have your own aspirations, you will in fact need to hold onto some of your own money, unless you happy to be a part of the jigsaw. Dont get me wrong blind faith is a great thing it can be the difference in a successfull crew and an unsuccessfull one. That said i think the reason you see medium ranked mafioso making such large diposits is for the simple reason they aspire to more. Most of the time they are one of many such people pooling their savings together, perhaps you are looking at the next leader.  Perhaps they are depositing your donations and have allready been selected, sometimes they are simply hitching a ride to the top and their current leader is aware of this and accepting of this maybe even aiding them along.

So feel free to donate, just dont confuse it for loyalty or for the greater good, very often it is but be aware that your money is sometimes better off with you. Remember you all ready pay tribute, I have no problem paying 99% tribute I just dont agree with donating that which i worked extra hard to put aside.

Report Post Tip

To be technical - money can't be everything and be everything "to a certain extent."  If it's "to a certain extent," then it isn't everything.  Just thought I'd point that out.

Now to talk about money...

Money makes the world go round.  Always has.  It's extremely important, but it's not everything.  Money enables you to do so much - buy protection for your family, train your gun, open up jails, etc, etc, etc.  Therefore, money is important to all of us, not just those who run crews and cities.  While it's certainly more important that those people have most of the money, I would venture to say they'd like you to keep some of that money.  And that doesn't mean keep it in a bank account.  That means SPEND the money.  Spend it on bodyguards, spend it on jails, spend it on training that gun.  But all for one purpose - to protect your family.  That is the only reason to have money - to protect your family. 

My opinion.

Report Post Tip

It's nice to know that you guys aren't overly concerned about the amount of cash one is carrying as long as you're satisfied. I guess my only question would be that if you did care, how would you handle it?

Firstyly I would like to say, good question Bellissima.

I would handle it as I would handle any other Rule in my family. (Assuming that if I cared it would become a rule.) I would Fire them from my organisation, usually via Bullet to the head and a long sleep with the fishes.

Report Post Tip

Firstly*

Excuse my bad speech.

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Is money everything?
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL