Get Timers Now!
X

May 19 - 09:33:32
Game Suggestions
1 Watchers
Page:  1 2 [ > - >>> ]
Percentage Indicator for Next Level Started by: Bandit on May 27, '16 14:54

So I FINALLY made level 39 (or can hold 39 units, whichever you prefer) and I see I now have the AWESOME little feature of having the percentage of experience until level 40 shown at the bottom of my screen. I LOVE this and want it for every level, SO...

my suggestion is to make it a buyable feature for EVERY level. A credit or 2 per level gives you the option to see how much work you have to put in to reach the next level??

Seems win/win to me... and forgive me if my pricing is off, but you get the idea. (I would have spent 39 credits so far Squishy!)

That is all... thanks!

Bandit

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

In all honesty, I am not a fan of the feature, I like the whole 'no xp shown' thing, but it was added as a motivational factor for users when they are about to hit milestones in the game - I can talk myself into that but its a stretch to do it for every rank. I don't think at this time I would like to see it on every rank - other than tradition and my gut feeling, I can't tell you *why* (and I fully understand this is unreasonable of me), but it just sorta still feels wrong :)

Report Post Tip

Like Squishy here, this is something I'm torn on. On one hand, it is entirely normal for RPGs to have experience points visible with "levels" (or synonymous analogs) every x number of experience points. These levels obviously exist outside the "realm" of the game and exist solely for the player to maintain their character's progression through skills, attributes, and qualities. So when it comes to "realism," the experience and levels don't detract from it.

On the other hand, I also appreciate the fact that a lot of the progression in this game is hidden from the player. Wack, stealth, and vision are not explicitly given to the player, they have to deduce for themselves whether those stats are adequate. Additionally, skills like picking pockets and jailbreaking are also hidden, and the player only knows of their progression by whether they succeed or fail on a task that requires that skill. Did you miss your shot? Wack isn't high enough. You can't see your target? Your vision isn't high enough. Rinse repeat.

All that being said, I am in favor of introducing this for all levels for free. Unlike vision, wack, or jailbreaking, there is no activity which "tests" your ranking, you only know of your progress by reaching the next level. And considering level has been disassociated from ranking (you can get levels without ranks), the level progression is something separate from your character's progression in his/her crew. Or, more accurately, the "realism" is in your ranking progression, the RPG-side is in the level progression. 

Report Post Tip

I actually agree. I think that the leveling system and rankings is one of the weak points of MR. Some kind of visualization would help. (Doesn't necessarily have to be percentage but a lot of players refuse to grind if they can't see where they're going or a point to getting there)

Report Post Tip
Ya mabye not all ranks but certainly after rank 20 it's annoying doing hours of work just guessing it's gonna help
Report Post Tip

I like the occasional peek in, like when working on those milestone levels, but don't feel the need to see progress on every level. When we work at any skill - whether you sit with a metronome and practice an instrument for eight hours a do, shoot pucks off the garage door every morning before school, cover every flat surface with your art work- we don't see the same level of progress that outside observers do. Most of us have heard the old saw about it taking 10,000 hours to master a skill or technique, how we transform and overcome limitations within our bodies and minds. It happens slowly, over time.

I can't imagine working on the uppercut bag for an hour and having a trainer tell me, "You are now 0.624% better than 60 minutes ago. Maybe it's just me but I don't require any sort of reward (progress meter), the improvement of skill level is reason enough to keep at it. I like that surprise when it finally happens and you see that new number, I like the anticipation. It sneaks up on you one day and there you are, all that work pays off.

Report Post Tip
Gotta agree with Squishy. Plus I like the suspense of getting another unit.
Report Post Tip

Well, that's why having it be an optional purchase "perk" would work nicely. If you don't want it and like to be surprised or feel like you are gaining experience in some fashion that is truly human and not based on calculations and numbers, then by all means don't purchase it.

Its somewhat like the RP discussions... some like to treat the game more like the human condition and strive for excellent RP and the like while others grind a bit more and do more "clicking" and treat it a little less so. Neither is "wrong" in any sense of the word.

This is all moot, because Squishy has given his take... just thought I close (my) loop.

Thanks for listening!

Report Post Tip

Squishy, I know it feels wrong and I know that it's not the way things were. But tell me honestly that these people that are on unit 32 are getting their unit faster than the person on unit 34 with the % at the bottom. It's a total game changer. However I am so much more motivated when I can benchmark achievement "experience" and jails and everything else. 

Don't make the decision on my statement, but make the decision based on the changes it brings to the game: we will probably rank faster(dunno if that is good). If it is a credit buy or a reward that is controlled by admins for specials and events it can raise funding/activity. 

I tried to quit once twice and it only happens after a death of a character we care about. I doubt I would try to quit if I had the extra motivation for a 10 day reveal for unit increase. (That being said... here I am still playing. So maybe not). I know I'm not exactly helping but I think it could be something that could be understood with stats and trialed by event rewards. Please weigh in all... 

Report Post Tip
I agree instead of keeping the game the same way it's always been it's the responsibility of the developers to add features to keep the game updated and new/old players on their toes.
Report Post Tip

A rank indicator is not needed if you think about it. The units count as that. There's no need to add features to THIS game that OTHER games have in order to make it more like them. One of the best parts of this game is the fact they don't do that. The mystery is a nice change from other games. 

Report Post Tip

I think a lot of features have contributed to dumbing this game down enough already.  A % indicator for every unit is unnecessary.  The % indicator every 5 units is a nice addition, that's generous enough in my most humblest of opinions.  Not everything should or needs to be spelled out for everyone.

Report Post Tip

I could agree with every 5 ranks.. but I've been around for years and I love that there isn't one. And adding on just keeps taking the game further away from where we began, which personally I wish we hadn't strayed so far from to begin with.

Report Post Tip

I have to say seeing it was a bit of a shocker. At least it's not glaring in your face and if you want to ignore it, you can. Still don't like the fact that it's there at all, even if it is just for the 5 and 0 ranks. If someone is smart enough they can use their units to figure it out. Don't see a need for it at all other than to appease those that come from other games where nothing is a mystery. You could always make it an option you can pay a credit or two for?

Report Post Tip

After having read all the replies here I would say both sides have an honest case but I think there is some misunderstanding.Now some people have said you know I like that there is no indicator I like the thrill and the surprise of when a rank creeps up on you or I can't imagine working on the uppercut bag for an hour and having a trainer tell me, You are now 0.624% better than 60 minutes ago and yea this makes sense for you. This can literally be broken down into peoples minds are wired differently example when I was a much younger man fresh out of high school I floundered a little bit unsure of what to do, in my now step fathers eyes it was simple go to college and figure the rest out later I forget his exact words but he set a very vague goal and that just simply doesn't work for me. If I work towards something it needs to be a clear cut goal something tangible I can see and understand another example ill use is when im in the gym my work out is structured I go for a certain amount of time  certain amount of reps I dont just plop down on a bench press and go alrite let me hit this until I get tired, now there are people who are like that my closest male friend is one of them and that works for him but not for everyone there are different schools of thought and I want everyone here to understand there are other motivations aside from people being bitchy,needing a "reward" system or for appeasement or dumbing down.

Report Post Tip

When I first noticed this feature for the milestones, I wasn't so sure I liked it. That probably was because I'd spent 7ish years without anything giving me the percentage to the next rank/unit. However, like others, I found myself being extra motivated to get my 20th/25th/etc unit. 

That being said...

I think these percentages should be like the McRib or the Shamrock shake*. Or the Pumpkin Spice Latte. Available for a limited time so that when it does come around, you want it all the more. If I had that at every rank I don't think it would work as well at motivating me that it would if it were available at every rank.

*=I thought about including the Wawa turkey bowl in this analogy but let's be real...if that shit were available year round, my fat ass would be eating it frequently...

Report Post Tip

I agree with the folks who have said its great for the milestone units I put in 100% more effort to get that last unit to get 35 because I knew I had  87% left Anymore would be overkill.

Report Post Tip

I too enjoy the thrill when I find out that 27 really does come after 26.

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

A devout Moran can make level 39.  What does it really mean to you or anyone for that matter?

Report Post Tip

Kevin Moran?

Report Post Tip

Game Suggestions
Replying to: Percentage Indicator for Next Level
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL