Get Timers Now!
X

May 11 - 10:49:07
Page:  1 2 [ > - >>> ]
Fear and Loathing Started by: PhelixTheSphinx on Mar 12, '10 19:21

Phelix grabs his cigar and lights it, glancing at the crowd beginning to emerge. It'd been a while since he'd trudged this particular part of town. What part of town? The docks. Where it all began for him. Things hadn't changed much in the years since his ancestors had first arrived here. The first thing you heard getting off the boat was still a gunshot. Still saw the vomit inducing homeless men sleeping on the sidewalks and park benches. Just, now, he wasn't one of them.

He sighs lightly, and motions to his closet friend and confidant. Mario was his head of security. He kept his bodyguards organized. With so many of them following him around, standing in the shadows, staying out of sight, it was necessary for him to have one close to his side to direct the rest of them. Much like the secret service, only more loyal.

Thank you, Mario.

He says as Mario hands him a match. Always a match, never a lighter. A fine cigar is ruined by a lighter. Mario stayed beside him, and motioned that it was time.

You're right Mario. I should begin.

Phelix turns to the crowd of newcomers slowly gathering. He recognizes some faces and clothing and realizes he's not the only one trolling the docks this evening.

You might be asking yourself why I'm out here today. The reason is simple. Generally I hold my tongue unless my temper has boiled to the point of expressing myself. This just won't do. I started just the same as you, and you, and you. The only thing is, I kept my tongue in check and quietly ranked in my family, gaining the trust of my Godfather to the point to be allowed to stand at his left hand. But the time for holding my tongue is over. I have realized I will never be happy unless I am speaking out about things that I find horrifying.

And most of all at this moment is people like me. Those that hold their tongue in fear that they will cause retaliation by their words. This is why I stayed quiet for so long. I made the decision early on to hold my tongue and be there for my family only. It is only now that I find this to be an impossible task.

You must speak out. About anything. Use your words, use your mind! What are we if not intelligent? We that can organize while the world falls apart around us? We that make millions while the rest of the world suffers this depression? We are the essence of all that is necessary in this world, and most of all that is intelligence and communication!

Keeping myself to myself is no longer key to my life. Now I shall spread the Gospel of the Sphinx. I shall spread my word, and have you heed it!

But, to quote a wise man that has urged this sudden transformation from myself, if you are worried that what you have to say might strike a chord with the public and cause retaliation, all the more reason to say it. But do so respectfully or you risk death.

Myself? You'll see me around again.

Until then...

He motions for Mario to follow him, and leaves the docks, dropping a hundred to a homeless man as he steps over him.

Report Post Tip

O'Banion Stand as he watches a great New Yorker give his speech admiring ever word for what he has said and being proud of being from New York his self. As he stand's in all from the speech that PhelixTheSphinx just gave, shaking his head and clapping in astonishment.

For a man that say's he never speek's I have no idea why. I swear this is the best speech I have heard in these streets in a long time. I got to admit I was afraid to speak out in the streets especially when I was made but I gotta admit when I hit made and then I was picked on in the streets and the Godfather Deimne showed me that he stand's up for his fellow NY's I don't care what people say or what I say. I read something earlier that said I was scared I apologized. You was even right then. I could of got in a big argument with that guy and in the end I would of been right he was an associate me a made member of the family. I pull rank, but why waist my time on something so small. Two people has died before over fighting with me and they outranked me.. I didn't do it but it was done because of disrespect I know I didn't like it and I won't do it to another out in these streets. Especially the people that say things about the new member's I think they should be shot and if I ever get the chance to be CL one of my members come's out and say's anything about an associates speech that tried would be killed. You get better by practice and if people are going to criticize you don't get any practice. I hate it and that's my speech.

Report Post Tip

Phelix stops mid-stride, and turns to the man who's had the nerve to speak up.

O_Banion. I recognize you from earlier today. Thank you for speaking up, you have cemented the very facts that I was attempting to state. The fact that you have a history of people coming down on you disrespectfully because of things you've said in the streets is horrific, but it is exactly what I've been trying to say.

I'm tired of it. I refuse to stand for it. People try and try and get shit on for it. For so long now it has fallen under the guise of "that's how it is" or "that's how we do things here" or the ever classic "he's just an associate, not made."

Well I'm a Consigliere. More-so I am the Left hand man to Godfather Deimne. It has come time for me to open my mouth and speak out against these hypocritical raving lunatics. Furthermore should anyone ever have any issues with anything I've said, you have my address.

Phelix decides to stick around to see if anyone else has anything to add.

Report Post Tip

It's good to hear that you're coming out of the shell. I look forward to hearing about the things you find horrifying. 

I believe there should be some accountability although I hope to tame O_Banion a little bit before I think he's ready to run a crew. I wouldn't want people dying for what should be just a minor infraction. I mean, some people deserve what they get when they post things that are too out of place.

Report Post Tip

Phelix smiles at CrazyNine. The Ex-New Yorker turned Godfather was always a delight to be around. He picks up on the statement about O_Banion, and smiles broader.

It's very true. Death is a harsh punishment, especially in an instance where all that has been done is speaking. O_Banion does potential. With the right mentor he could blossom into a great mafioso one day. Maybe you will be that mentor? That is if you're not too busy with your city business. It's a Crazy world out there, isn't it.

He motions for another match from Mario, and lights his cigar again, blowing a smoke ring in CrazyNine's direction.

Report Post Tip

Mystery thinks long and hard about what he wants to say, and how he wants to say it.

"With all due respect Phelix, not everybody is made out to come and voice their opinions. I myself think that right this very moment I should not be speaking. My line has been killed far too often for getting into heated debates with those who outrank him. If someone has a problem they can do two things about it, grumble/bitch/moan about it to themselves, or come out to the street where more than likely you'll find people ready to mock you."

Mystery shuffles his feet and continues.

"On rare occasion will you actually find someone to help you through your problem, explain something to you, or debate your given topic. It's those times that get interesting. It's those times the streets are worth coming out to listen to. But still I stick to my original statement, not everyone is meant to come and speak."

Lighting up a cigarette, Mystery is clearly nervous. Continuing on anyway with his blabbering,

"I don't think my street appearances are anything special, therefore I reserve them and only come out when I feel that it is necessary. I will agree with you that more people should be less afraid, but in some instances being a mute is okay too."

Report Post Tip

After speaking to one of Phelix's henchmen, Tyrion lights a smoke and wanders over. Tugging at the collar of his long coat to hold off the breeze coming in from the water. Approaching he nods to CrazyNine, O_Banion and Mystery then stands beside Phelix.

Phelix, I must say I'm delighted to see you out and about. I always said you spend way too much time buried in paperwork in the office. You have shown me a great deal of patience and never hesitated to help me throughout my days in our home. Always willing to give me your council whenever I needed it, always with sound advice. I must confess I have often wondered why you were not more publicly vocal.

I must say I agree with you. People will be naturally hesitant to open their mouths, especially when the wit of some is so fast and cutting. Fear of even mockery's reprisal would be enough to give a new arrival doubts. But as you pointed out, the only way to gain confidence with anything is to try, try again. Some will get it, some won't. The important thing is to try.

Leaning over he whispers a few words in Phelix's ear and hands him a small package which Phelix slips into his ornate Egyptian style jacket. Looking at the gathering in front of them, glances back at Phelix's shiny suit and grins.

He may dress like something from another world, but trust me, this man knows more than you might imagine.

Report Post Tip

Phelix walks over and shakes Mystery's hand. Just by speaking today he has cemented the facts that Phelix had been trying to make earlier.

See, you expressed all the sides of this conundrum. You are semi-mute due to being smart enough to realize that getting into heated debates is counter productive. Now, you also know that more people should speak.

This is where we find the problem, my friends. The problem lies in making the decision to speak or to not speak. It is my belief that all should speak if they have something to say. I'm not saying just spark up a talk about your dog, George, and how often he shits on the rug. No, what I'm saying is, open your mouth if you have something of interest to say. How else are you going to learn what's ok, and what's not? If it gets you killed, oh well. Your children will hear of your life and legacy and will learn from your mistakes.

Lets just hope that they don't go making them themselves!

Like I said, people in my blood line, including my name sake, the very first in my line to get off these boats. The original PhelixTheSphinx had a big mouth, too. But he stuck to his beliefs, and that's what I try to do. Apparantly I'm just better at it.

Report Post Tip

Concealing the package in his jacket, Phelix nods at Tyrion. Wouldn't be the first time they'd made a transfer of funds in public. Not like his bodyguards would let anyone bother him for it. One desperate guy had tried that once. His family had received his left ear and a blood stained shoe in the mail three months later.

Thank you, Tyrion. Mockery is deadly here. And you're right on the button about the wit of our colleagues. More then once I have been on the receiving end of the sharp tongue of some of the witty. As with anything though, one must learn to roll with the punches. To deflect the blows a bit and reserve the energy for retaliation.

If one is able to give, one must be able to receive. Learn how to be witty with respect and you will learn the secret to surviving in these streets. Me? I prefer to watch. Many days I will take long strolls, listening to the speakers, without responding. I enjoy hearing people speak as it tells me that there is something in this world other then death.

Report Post Tip

That's just the thing though, sir. Not everybody's kin learn from their parents death. I know that it's taken my line quite some time to know when it's alright to get into a debate. I'm still not one hundred percent sure that I should ever speak because of them, but sometimes it's a must. I completely agree, if someone has something to say then they should say it. Sometimes the frustration and anger of the topic leads to things being said that shouldn't be, though. As long as they can keep their temper under control, anyone CAN come out and make constructive appearances.

Report Post Tip

You have once again found the key to what is needed. You understand what need be done, but is it in you to do it? You are under no obligation to speak by me. I am happy to speak in private with you if that's all you want, I just believe that if you have a desire to speak in public you should. I'm not saying go out of your way to speak in public.

The hardest part, and something my line has struggled with for years is holding their tongue. When I lose my temper, people hear things that I would never let out in any other circumstances. These things show the uncivilized side of me. The side of me that grew up an orphaned Italian immigrant sleeping on park benches and side walks until Deimne caught me picking his pocket and offered me a roof over my head.

Knowing I knew absolutely nothing about being a mafioso, I kept quiet and listened. It was then that Deimne found the diary of my father. This diary detailed how long of a history my family had in this life. I learned so much by reading the stories in that diary that to this day I go back to it to learn new lessons. In it I learned that the temper is a family trait.

If I remember correctly, yours is as well. This is ok. Temper is good in this thing of ours. But it has to be released under controlled conditions, otherwise we turn barbaric and do things we will regret.

Report Post Tip

Mystery chuckles at the last comment.

"No disagreements here sir, I can fully recognize that temper is in my genes. That is why as you so accurately put it I am a "half-mute." I do not feel the need to come out and say "good read," to every newspaper, nor do I feel the need to congratulate EVERY leader on getting auth to set up. I feel quite often that people just bull-shit most of that stuff to boost their street "credit."

"If you've never even spoken a word to a crew leader, let alone any of their ancestors, who the hell are you to tell them congratulations? Granted if you are a crew leader yourself, or a hand, I can see that as perfectly acceptable. Not that what I think is acceptable means anything, but that's neither here nor there."

Mystery hands Phelix a cigar, as his had just gone out. Lighting it, and then his own, Mystery continued.

I truly wish that everyone can learn from whatever got their parents killed. When I started out off the boat everybody was convinced that I wouldn't go far. Given the relationship of my leader and my line, nobody in their right mind thought I would make it past Wise Guy. However coming to the streets only when I have something to say, instead of bull shitting it, here I sit a Made Man today, talking to the Left Hand Man of New York.

Report Post Tip

O'Banion listen's to all of these fellow mobster's and from what he hears now great men. Not only mobster's but men. He also smiles and nodes at his Godfather Crazynine when he talk about tam-men him a bit.

I too have a bad temper some times it can be really bad and that is one of my weakness's I don't show it out here in the streets I stay calm and know my place in that direction. On the other hand my GF gets a mailbox full at least ever other day. Not that i'm proud of that I just know that's where I fail.

I also like what you just said Mystery about people coming out here and congratulating the new mob boss's. I think if you know them fine but if you never spoke to them I think its more of a recognition thing than a true congratulations. So I like you choose to only do it to the one's that I know. Not that I don't hope for the best or anything. It's I don't know them and my congrat's is not as good as a best friend. Also the good speech stuff come on really I think this has been discussed before and we said it shouldn't be done but you still see it. It kills me, but whatever to each his own I guess.

I would like to take this time and thank my mentor's and GF's Deimne, CrazyNine, and Lucretia_Borgia. These are people I would lay my life on the line for i'd take a bullet for any of these people. It will gut me more than anything to see anything happen to them and if I could prevent it I will. They never had to prove nothing to me or give me a chance but all three of them have. That's what means the most. I sent Deimne some stuff he could of smacked me around cursed me he didn't he ignored me or talked to me about it either one is fine. I thank him for that. GF Crazynine has put up with me more than any man or women ever would. Lucretia_Borgia has helped me and schooled me in the life and no matter how busy she is alway's seems to give a hour of her time to help. I gotta say how many people do you know that does that?

O'Banion smiles as he thinks about these great people in which he has encountered thus far.

Report Post Tip

Mr. PhelixTheSphinx, Sir;  I would like to thank you for your post.  It comes from obvious thought and intelligence.  Sometimes it is difficult for me to know what is expected in the streets & I appreciate the guidance.

Report Post Tip

Ninetta, if you just said what I think you did, you may want to pay my OOCitis Rehab Clinic a short visit whenever you have the time.

Report Post Tip

sneakyrat listens to Phelix's speach... shakes his heads and walks away thinking this will never change. And talking about it is unecessary, the new off the boaters will always be affraid of beeing the mock of the streets. They are smarter than we give them credit for!

Report Post Tip

Phelix grabs sneakyrat by the scruff of his neck before he can scurry off.

Not so fast, you're not that sneaky. I heard you mumbling that this is unnecessary to talk about. Things will never change. Blah, blah, fucking blah.

That, my friend, is complete bullshit and counter productive to this debate. Shit changes all the time, it just takes people standing up and saying smarten up. I find you coming out here and giving the worlds worst rendition of someone caring complete disrespectful. I mean, honestly, what gives you the right to come out here and just brush off what has been said without a word? The least, and I stress this word immensely, you could do is to give me a fucking reason why you think it will never change.

If you're going to make yourself visible at one of my speeches, come prepared to say something, especially if you're here opposing my view.

Report Post Tip

Gaius looks at the amount of disrespect that has been shown towards his Godfather's Left Hand Man and begins to feel his blood boil. He looks at sneakyrat and pulls a gold lighter from his pocket, lighting a cigarette he begins.

Sneakyrat, I want you to pay close attention, because I'm going to try and teach you a life lesson that should you choose to listen, will change your life forever. Please do not mistake my tone for a sign of disrespect, merely a fumbling for words.

Gaius flailed about in his mind for a way to put the following bits of information in a non disrespectful tone

Many said, member whoring will never stop, can't stop no matter how many debates, no matter how many times us mafioso's bring up the subjects. It'll never change. For ever and always will CrewLeaders, Righthands, Lefthands, and Associates will member whoring be an option to fill the recruitment quota's.

Guess what my sneakyrat friend? What changed? Not too long ago MY beloved Godfather stepped into these streets and put his brand on member whoring, slating it punishable by death.

Gaius inhaled his cigarette and controlled his temper, as sneakyrat began to wander off Gaius tapped him from behind and shook his finger at him

I'm not done yet, you might as well have a seat.

Many moons ago, under the leadership of Godfather ThomasRourke, many said that the killing of -48's would never change, they would always die and nothing anyone could do would stop it. Again, many debates transpired, both inside the halls of New York and elseware.

Guess what my sneakyrat friend? What changed? Not too long after all these debates transpired, the legend Godfather ThomasRourke used his political contacts and put an end to killing -48's.

When we talk, when we as mafioso's debate subjects of importance to an individual that begins a debate, its not merely to hear ourselves talk. There is a REASON a left hand man of the most powerful Godfather this game has ever seen stepped into these streets.

Gaius flicks his butt and looks at sneakyrat dead in the eyes

You have rank on me my friend, so I will not come out into these streets and disrespect you openly. I have tried, extremely hard, and believe I have controlled my emotions on this matter. However, I will ask you a question.

Would you like me to continue? I can cite more if you like...

Gaius reaches into his coat and hands a flask to Phelix before discussing the casino business he had been researching lately

Report Post Tip

sneakyrat listens carefully to Gaius and looks at PhenixTheSphinx and speaks his mind...

Gentlemen... ladies... i dont mean to be disrespectful here. Of course i shook my head and someone heard me wisper things will never change. I apologise because i havent been totally honest here. Things do change but only when a Godfather or one of his higly respected trustee's come out here and orders the change. Not so long ago i came here and have asked the people to respect the low ranks that does'nt yet know better than come out here and respectfully ask a question... yet, people reacted in a way that caught me off guard. I was mearly talking about a sincere low rank respectful associate. I apologize Don PhenixTheSphinx for not speaking my mind here, and i am honest. I never mean disrespect unless i am disrespected after showing respect. That gets me boiling at the highest level. Godfathers have the ultimate power to change things if they desire to. I applaud your efforts here Don and i am with you all the way. For i believe this cause is a very honorable one. I always encourage the members to speak out here, for this is where we all learn to become better associates during our lives. Your speach has been well though out and i totally agree with you on this. I never meant to disrecpect you in any way. I hope you accept my apology!

I truly believe in change... but in order for change to be possible... everyone in power must agree on it!

Report Post Tip

Listening from the sidelines, he wondered if he should speak out his mind too. But the well dressed Don was encouraging everyone to do just that, especially someone like me, who's just starting a life in the mob.

"Good day sirs." He said politely tipping his hat.

He turns his attention to Don Sphinx.

"My forefathers, just like yours, ranked silently and earned for their family. I remember my grandfather coming home in anger every night, swearing and cursing in the family kitchen because of some debate he heard in the streets on his way home."
he takes out a stick and lights it, then continues...
"My grandfather would bitch his opinions at home, cuz he can't do it in the streets. He was too afraid to get into any debate."
he coughed after taking a long drag, thinking it was more of nervousness than the smoke that made him cough

"One day, he was gunned down by his associates because of a mistake in which his life was the only payment. My father, upon hearing the news, went out in the streets and cursed the leaders of the underworld. My father, out of his temper made a lethal mistake. He bitched and moaned about the injustice done to my grandfather."
he shakes his head

"Ofcourse he was ridiculed, left and right, words like knives cut through him. He was found dead two days later."

seeing that everyone was waiting for him to make a point, he proceeded.
"My point is this. My fore fathers refrained from speaking out here. My father, who usually was a silent man, came out here when he felt that my grandfathers life should be avenged. It was his first time out in the streets, and it was the only thing needed to end his life. So I guess, for people like us, who are still climbing the ladder to success, we should come out here often and voice our opinions, as long as it is in line and spoken out with respect."

he then smiled
"Well, you may be ridiculed for speaking out here, or the worst thing that might happen is that people ignore you as if you were a lunatic spewing non sense. But at least it's a start."
He breathes deeply, wondering if he made sense at all. But he felt something different in him after speaking out. And what he felt was something good.

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Fear and Loathing
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL