Get Timers Now!
X

May 02 - 07:48:09
Page:  1 2 [ > - >>> ]
How long is too long Started by: VinnieBoombatz on Nov 17, '16 11:38

How long is too long to be inactive before you're killed, even if factoring in the player's history of activity, work ethic and real life ups n downs? If a player is on daily, contributes regularly, votes truthfully and then suddenly goes inactive...rather than killing them (considering how hard it is to stay alive for long periods) are there other ways to deal with these particular players? What if something serious happened in their real life that prevents them from logging in (health issue, jail, loss of house and electricity, etc) but said person DEFINITELY wants to continue the game when they are able to, is there not a way to implement a program where admins protect these accounts for a certain period? Players can choose to sign a "life support" agreement that says if they disappear they will be kept alive for x amount of time and if not back after that time frame THEN they die. OR, CL's can tie into their rules how long they will allow a person to go IA before pew pew. At least this gives people a chance to make it back before they get GOT! lol

The main reason i bring this issue up is it strikes close to home. I am an active duty US Navy Special Warfare Commander and there are some times where I have to disappear for weeks on end, however once I return I would want to jump right back into where I was and NOT find out I was killed cuz I had to leave to defend you buncha bums and your freedom!! :-P LOL! just kidding!!! Now my CL knows I'm pretty active, but if i went missing one day I would hope it would be assumed that I deployed "unexpectedly" and will be MIA for an allotted period of time. Obviously I would want to come back to familiar things tho i know wars change that and barring a death in a war, why could't I be left alone until I returned?

In the above hypothetical with me, how long is too long? Also, what do admins/players think of idea to implement "life support" for MIA players?

Report Post Tip
I think you'll find most inactives nowadays are killed out of necessity moreso than anything. Maybe a full HQ needs space after a war to accommodate returning players, in which case a player who hasn't shown signs of returning may be killed. But if you have an understanding with your CL that your RL obligations might interfere with this dopey game I would imagine most leaders would work with you and take that into consideration before removing you for being IA.

To your other point, I see absolutely no reason admins should, or even would for that matter get involved
Report Post Tip
I think a week or two is enough to wait if a crew is full and someone wants to join and work hard. I do see where you're coming from but I've had no issues with members coming to me and just notifying me quickly that hey I'm going to be gone for an extended amount of time. Why never matters to me unless they want to disclose that with me but I always tell them to go do whatever you need in your personal life and to not worry about this world until they've done whatever needed to be done. I'm not sure how rushed it is when you're deployed but takin a single minute to log in and let your leader know you're going g to be IA for a period of time should keep you safe unless you just don't contribute to the family. I also don't believe admins should be involved in this as it could easily be abused a quick one line mail to your CL should avoid getting killed.
Report Post Tip

Most leaders will give preferential treatment to those who have earned their goodwill. If a good member suddenly drops off the map, a leader is going to be very, very reluctant to remove that person and this will likely be their last resort.

Report Post Tip

Agreed about communication with CL being best however I'm more talking about a scenario where say something occurs and there IS no ability to contact CL. My case with my job sure My CL would be very understanding and lenient since they would most likely assume I got deployed however for others, let's say they have an accident and can't function for two and a half weeks then they return to find themselves dead.. That sucks lol... Gotta be a way to make arrangements for something like this without killing since it's possible if crew needs room can just temporarily release person and place protection order no?

Report Post Tip
I would just inform them when you join then that these things can happen. They can then put a note on your profile so they don't forget when a time comes where you're MIA for awhile. Like Lucius said, any member that does good work for a CL is going to stay around unless absolutely necessary. RL issues are one of the few things that result in a hard worker to go missing and that's understandable.
Report Post Tip

I am inclined to agree that no admin input is required here tbh...If RL issues are a consideration that can be considered ahead of time then as mentioned a message on your profile will cover this. That aside should something unexpected come up as has been said your contribution to the family, the communications you have already had with your CL, the impression you have made overall and also that balance between having your hardest working guys with you and respecting that out of this world things might need to be considered is a matter of judgement for each CL and part of their role. Just today we had to take a difficult choice about a member who had been of value but 18 days IA meant on balance a difficult discussion needed to be had to make room for active participating people. It is sometimes a harsh life in the mafia but if your value to the family holds steadfast should never be a concern no matter what RL things may crop up along the way.

Report Post Tip

Where are you stationed out of?

Report Post Tip

How long is too long?

Ask yo momma ;)

Report Post Tip

Coronado California John....and thank you Harambe may you rest in peace you poor gorilla 

Report Post Tip

What is your mos?

Report Post Tip

well I once went MIA for 3 weeks, expecting to be killed off. heh nope, I was alive when I got back. cowluh ftw! 

Report Post Tip

John I'm Navy therefore don't have an MOS...my officer designator however would be 1130..

Report Post Tip

Think you for for serving VinniBoombatz.  Ride with the suggestion to contact your CL when you are going to MIA.  If CL's and their most trusted RH can go inactive for the most part, you should be alright.

Report Post Tip

Is this not a non RP chat about game? I want to know what another said that it was removed>

Report Post Tip

Is this not a non RP chat about game? I want to know what another said that it was removed>

Reply by: Isabella at Nov 29, '16 04:20

don't follow what this above post means..

the original intent of this article was to start a discussion not to address any situation involving me as an individual there is NONE...i only used my situation as an example and Isabella i appreciate your support of my service but i'm more than happy doin it :D

Report Post Tip

1130 lol

Report Post Tip

i miss somethin Roland? I want in on the joke...

Report Post Tip

I think he's mocking you for bragging about being a SEAL commander on an online mafia role playing game. Thats all man.

Report Post Tip

There was no mocking from this woman. I spotted a post a post modified in which I was referring too. My last post had nothing to do with  VinnieBoombatz. In my previous post I meant what I said when I thanked him for his service. Have a nice day MikhailKomarov.

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For Non RP Talk About The Game (AKA OOC)
Replying to: How long is too long
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL