Get Timers Now!
X

May 19 - 11:08:16
Page:  1 2 [ > - >>> ]
Are Some Rules Meant to be Broken? Started by: Richard_Kuklinski on Apr 24, '10 10:44

* Richard_Kuklinski starts to talk to the other men and women gathered in the Streets... *

There are in this world some standards which, if not adhered to, result in severe measures being taken.  Recently, we have seen a CL in Las Vegas shot dead for member whoring and the recent events in Los Angeles, which were the result of an unauthorised shooting (amongst other things).

Which brings me to my point.  Those of us in This Thing of Ours who are protected by their age, or lack of, to be precise.  There have been, historically, bloodlines who come back to pester, annoy or try to frame prominent figures in these cities.  At present, there is someone whose father was so affected by me that he used my initials in naming his son!  Whilst I am flattered, and amused, by this clown, it does tell a story.  This individual brags about not being subject to the normal code of conduct because he is under -48.  Now, frankly, I don't think he would be missed if I shot him, and frankly I think he does me more good than harm, but it would still be nice to take action against him.  But how would that look? 

So, what I'd like to discuss is this; are some rules, by their nature, subject to conditions?  Would breaking the rules as a result of the conditions make a person look bad?  Or look good?

* Richard_Kuklinski mingles, sipping brandy as he goes *

Report Post Tip

A very interesting question... however, the example given doesn't tackle it at all.

In the case mentioned, the person has voided any possible protection or right to life by the grave disrespect shown. While we have 'rules' or common norms in place, they come in a hierarchy that means he breaking one relating to respect more than justifies him being killed. Killing him isn't breaking one of our accepted social norms, it is upholding them. It is on this hierarchy that our world has survived for many generations and will survive for many more.

Report Post Tip

Chade listens quietly until Richard_Kuklinski finishes speaking before stepping forth to speak.

Something here is confusing me, your asking if some rules are meant to be broken, one in particular about new kids, fresh of the ships. From what i have seen, and this is in almost every city, but the "rule" you are asking about is pretty clear, ussually they are protected unless they blantantly disrespect you or shoot at you.

If im not mistaken, isnt that a rule for your very own city?

Has this person disrepected you? Has he shot at you? If the answer to any of those answers is yes, then you have grounds to shoot him, according to your city rule.

Lastly, you asked if this would make you look good or bad.

Who are you trying to impress? This is the mafia, it is a cut throat world, why do you care if you look good or bad, the only person it really matters to what your family looks like is yourself.

Report Post Tip

Marley puffs his joint and coughs

Bust a cap in his ass Richard. We all know rules are bent now and again. As well as we know rules a meant to be broken, but in the situation as you explained, things seem justifiable. Especially if you have proof of disrespect or slander.  We've seen it done many times before by CL's with no consequences administered.  Thing is, do you have the status or respect from the other leaders to committ the dreaded -48. Looks like those guys in LV are looking to mow down eachother so you might want to think wisely.

But who am I? I'm just a WiseGuy who likes seeing people die. My opinion holds little weight, but I still say, "Put some lead in the bitch!!"

Marley tosses his joint with force, feeling like he made a point and it counts, but in his mind he knows he's just high and his words mean very little to the passing crowd

Report Post Tip

proof of disrespect or slander. 

Looks like those guys in LV are looking to mow down eachother so you might want to think wisely.

I do love me some irony.

Report Post Tip

Really now? We're looking to mow each other down? How in the bloody hell can someone like you... wait... who are you? Oh. That's right... How can a nobody like you know what the fuck goes in Vegas? Hell, I'm sure half of us IN Vegas doesn't know what goes on in Vegas, there's so many cracked out people, and drunken hookers it's hard to keep track. If you're referring to us gunning down Prinny for... ya know... BREAKING A RULE, then yes I suppose we are just blood thirsty tyrants over here. But excuse me if we like to follow some pretty firm rules in this thing of ours.

Report Post Tip

Oh, and to further add on, no, your opinion does not hold any weight.

Report Post Tip

London walks up to the counter to buy a one way ticket to Vegas.  The price is a little high; but considering the awkward size of his cargo, its justified.  He spends several consecutive hours with a 1,000 yard stare.  The stewardess is a little disturbed by this.  After an uneventful flight, he takes his first step into the hot Vegas air.  Jesus Christ... He can feel his entire body objecting to the 110 degree blast of hot air that washes over him.  He puts up his hand to shield his eyes from the blinding sun and quickly makes his way down the ramp.  He hasn't gone 5 feet before he starts to perspire.  "Vegas, fuck it in the eye." he thinks to himself.

He stands at the tail of the plane waiting patiently for his cargo to be retrieved from the belly of the plane.  Even with the heat of the huge engines, the props push out a slightly cooler version of the native Vegas air.  He wipes the sweat off his face with his sleeve, and tries to enjoy rush of air knowing in a few minutes, it will be gone.

Right on time, Harry pulls up onto the tarmac with his poor excuse of a truck.  It was a Ford TT, not even 7 years old, but looked at least 20.  Every body panel was as crooked as a two-bit politician.  Harry didn't talk much, which suited London just fine.  Harry was one of those guys who thought he was an entertainer at heart, but no one had the heart to tell hm that he had as much personality as a bag of wet cats.

With some grunting and cursing, the crate is finally loaded into the back of the truck.  It was nice to get the breeze back.  Even though the truck could barely maintain 20mph, it was moving air; and in this heat that is all that mattered.  We were on the same road for several hours.  The road offered no kind of scenery.  Sand... just fucking sand... And the occasional cactus.  Fuck you road.  Would it have been too hard to break up the monotony with a little eye candy?

I awaken from the jarring stop of the truck to find that I am on the insides of a garage of sorts.  After a few moments, it becomes clear that the garage isn't decorated by advertisment signs, but actually comprised of them.  I wouldn't doubt if the entire garage is made from the ground of from stolen signs.  Harry, you cheap bastard.

Harry clears his throat, signaling that he is ready to get the crate down from the back of the truck.  With gravity on our side, the crate comes out much easier than going in.  With a plume of smoke, the crate finally makes it to the floor.  Harry goes to work with a crowbar.  After a little objecting from the nails, the side fell to reveal a thing of beauty.  A brand new petrol powered rotary lawn mower.  The sun from the open garage door hits the mower at an angle that it glistens.  An angelic hum could be heard.  London was in Vegas, he had his tool of the trade, and he was here to work.

London was here to mow down some unlucky Vegas natives.  The rumors were true.

Report Post Tip

Marley listens as Mystery strains to lift Marleys opinion.

Marley thinks to himself, "My opinion seems rather garthy considering it was noticed"

Marley feels good about himself and does a little island dance

Report Post Tip

Personally I think rules are only as strong as their enforcer. So when you ask yourself if you are justified in breaking or bending a rule you should always ask yourself if you can take the enforcer.

Report Post Tip

Singer comes out with a dictionary. He turns to the page that has the word Rule on it. He looks at it then reads the definition.

RULE: 1a guide or principle for governingaction. REGULATION.2:The Usual way of doing something. 3:the ecercise authority or control. 4: RULER

Singer closes the book and sits it down.

If then you take that and apply it with Godfather Deimnes first response then you would see how it collides and becomes completely legit. I think when you are the head of a family and someone dares to threaten it in any way shape or form you are allowed to bend even break the rules. I dont believe that rules were created to be broken thats horrible philosophy in my opinion, what i do think is that rules are more like Strongly suggested Guidelines. So no they are not meant to be broken for if they were why would the be made a rule it wouldnt even be needed.

Singer then remembers the last question

If one is seen as a bad person for saving his family then i would think only one opinion would matter there, that of the family. I believe your intentions are legit this man comes here and mocks you and threatens your family in any way then the rule would be enforced by ending him.

Report Post Tip

Gaius had listened to the conversation before him and had finally decided to step up and respond. Dragging on a flask with his left hand he placed it firmly back in his coat pocket while thumbing a light with his right hand on the cigarette he had been carassing for some time while in deep thought. Finally the damn lighter took and Gaius made a mental note to make sure to get more fluid for it later. One strike, thats all a fucking lighter needed to light, or it was time to find another damn solution. Gaius was known for his impatience... unfortunately. 

I may sound like a broken record here, but I'd like to cover a few valid points.

As chade said before me, who is it your trying to impress? This isn't the social club, this is the mafia, its not about personality, its about success or failure. It's about cash and power, lets get that straight off the bat.

Secondly, what has the man done? Used your initials in his name? How is that disrespectful? Many would call that flattery... Now if the man has openly disrespected your name then why didn't you shoot the bastard? Lets be real here, thugs, gangsters anyone that isn't a button man has to watch there fucking step around higher rankers, if they disrespect you, shoot there ass by all means. Providing of course they aren't in another individuals crew, then its time to go about the diplomatic approach.

Marley, I've got to say that I disagree with you here. While rules may be broken from time to time, it is my understanding that they arn't broken lightly, for when they are broken... cities tend to disappear in a quick like fashion. Making the city undertaker a pretty penny in the process which is something none of us want.

Mystery, with all due respect, my mother who isn't in this way of life knows what goes on in Vegas. Your city has more snitches then a narcotics office.

However, back to the point at hand. If the man has done nothing to you, you CANNOT kill him for his bloodlines actions. Something that I have recently learned. Until a few weeks ago, I for one was a strong supporter of blood hunting individual lines that had hurt someone that I was loyal to or close with. However, as a wise old man explained it to me, it became clear. An individual that is fresh off the boat cannot be judged by previous actions of a blood line. Does that mean that they should be given a welcoming hand if there father fucked you over? Hell no, but does it mean you shoot the son like you did the father? Fuck no... You let the fucker slide into another city and watch him like a hawk. 

The point being, take each and every individual of their own merits, not their blood lines. I am of course speaking of the negative impacts here, not the positive one's. When choosing an upper structure of course your going to work with those your close with, but as far as blood hunting is concerned, which is exactly what your talking about from my understanding.... fuck no.

Report Post Tip

Gaius RK isnt talking about punishig him for the actios of his father, he has shown the same disrespect his father shown. He cant get over his fathers suicide and continues to blaim RK for it. He shows his disrespect just about every time he opens his mouth.

Report Post Tip

I've yet to see or hear the man utter a word, personally. Feel free to direct me to it if I appear to have missed it. If that is the case, it begs the question... why is he still alive?

Report Post Tip

* Looks above *

Hey Gaius, he didn't say it on the street (OOC) but he continued the words of his late father and added to them.

I'll have someone drop off the details.

He's bulletproof at the moment..  But these  things change

Report Post Tip

Dom strolls by on her way to do some business and is shocked at the conversation she overheards some gentlemen having about mafioso, bloodlines, and murder.  She shakes her head, amazed that mafioso would so boldly discuss the workings of  family &  guns in public.  She knew better, but it was of no matter to her, she had more pressing issues at the moment.  Picking up her pace, she hurried to the safety of closed doors.

Report Post Tip

Bruiser listens to the wonderful men and women before him and awaits his turn to speak.  Once Domnizon has finished addressing the crowd Bruiser clears his throat and begins

Richard as many has pointed out, most if not all cities have a rule "No shooting -48 unless serious disrespect or attacks have occured"   In this case yes, the forementioned has been in OOC blvd. giving you tons of shit.  Do you have a right to shoot him in the face, I'd say yes probaby.  It's a fine line.  I don't know if I'd call it straight out disrespect but I will say he is fucking with your way of life.  Any new civilians off the boat that might be interested in working in Las Vegas that sees that thread is most likey going to shy away from you, so in a form I guess you COULD call that disrespect.   Now the down side to this is he'll just pass along his diary for his son to pick right back up where he left off.   This really is a no win situation for you.  Sure you can get some satisfaction from blowing this guys head off but it probably will not stop the slanderous nature of this bloodline.

Report Post Tip

Mr. kuklinski. i read with an incredible level of disgust the words of the man of which you speak. i will not attempt to answer this question in any overall sense. however, in this instance, shoot him, please.

Report Post Tip

i guess i'm behind the times. this man was ludacrisly improperly disrespectful. i only wish he could have been silenced earlier.

Report Post Tip

Memphis stops to listen, cigar in mouth, umbrella in hand

Seems to me you are a bit puzzled on you decision being that you should know him better than us. You should take a few shots of whiskey Richard

Memphis dumps the ash off his cigar and continues to walk along smiling and humming a song in head

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Are Some Rules Meant to be Broken?
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL