Get Timers Now!
X

Apr 26 - 03:29:57
Page:  1 2 [ > - >>> ]
Got what it takes? Started by: Bonkers on Jan 20, '17 02:35

Following a week of bloodshed things had changed across the country for the worse for the racketeering industry. Aside from the substantial loss of life business had also been damaged.

For years industrial America had benefitted from the friendly Godfathers in each city always being willing to resolve those annoying labour issues for a reasonable price. Now there was no one to turn to and across the country manufacturers were suffering strikes like never before.

In the business districts the speakeasies no longer offered the broad range of spirits and other little treats they once stocked. The cities had lost their souls.

One part of each town was thriving though. The soup kitchens had never been so busy. So many hungry faces. Gaunt looking young Italians and others. Hungry for bread. Hungry for work. Hungry for a chance to prove themselves.

Following the events Godfathers Bonkers and FitzChivalry had an opportunity lead a discussion on the state of the nation and their industry. After some hours Godfather Bonkers comes out into the streets with an announcement.

Ladies and Gentlemen,

“Regime” change, as it has been referred in the recent past comes with its challenges, but also its opportunities. Today our most pressing challenge is the housing and training of the next generation of mafioso. As I speak the current set-up of families are broadly 200 spaces short of being able to house these new faces.

Now over time there is a desire among some for family sizes to trend down to 30 on average. For now this is not practical and I have asked my own captains to make some extra space, with a view to downsizing again once we are through this period of crisis assuming that this remains practical.

So how to make up the balance? Traditionally each city would simply authorise a new leader to set up alongside them. The reality of the situation is that most of the existing mobsters above the rank of made man (as low a number as 50 as I speak) are spoken for - they've already set up, have no ambition to set up due to other commitments on the side or their leader simply doesn't know if they're ready to make that next step - leading their own family.

But what if you back yourself anyway?

The Godfathers have therefore concluded that a new model of “annexation” could be an appealing way to encourage new businesses to flourish.

Following recently events we are left with empty cities adjacent to established ones. LA will now come under the influence of LV, Detroit under the influence of Chicago and Philadelphia under the influence of NY.

In these now empty cities we invite hungry businessmen to seize this chance at the big time. They will start life with the broad protection of their annexed mother city and have the opportunity to prove themselves within their chosen districts.

The annexed cities will be limited to two crews per district, six per city.

To begin with we ask that leaders establish 10 man HQs and do not protect themselves with more than an Extremely Well Protected level of bodyguards. Through positive community contributions - street presence or a dedication to training young mobsters for example - they have the opportunity to gain favour with their mother city head. As they gain favour they will be granted permission to expand their HQ size and take on ever greater levels of protection. This favour will be judged by the relevant city head and their chosen consiglieres.

For those out of favour - what are the consequences? If you fuck up bad then you're no safer than any piece of shit out there you're fish food. If your progress is just a little slow then the city head should work with you to improve this. But if the annexed city is full and someone else fancies their chances then don't be surprised if you go to bed one night and don't ever wake.

Free cities don't have to fail. They shouldn't fail. The ascent of LA and LV demonstrated this. The nurturing and protection of an annexed mother city hopefully provides yet another layer of support.

In order to start such a family please contact myself, FitzChivalry or one of our friends in New York. We will alert the wider community of your intentions. No stand-alone street announcement will be required for these operations - simply announce yourself here in as much or as little detail as you so choose...it all counts towards your reputation.

Report Post Tip

Mr. Bonkers, thank you for being prompt with this announcement regarding the future. For many nothing is fast enough, but given that there have been lots of wars, even very recently, it's reasonably impressive to already have plans in place for a torn up community.

The beauty of these opportunities is that anything is possible. I've heard many complaints and disappointment from people who always seem to miss their chance to become a crewleader. This allows for people to decide on their own future career, without relying on someone else to pave the way for them. With that there will be people that are afraid of that chance and will shelter behind the argument that 'they want to deserve their auth', instead of just become a crewleader out of the blue. Others won't dare to take on the responsibility because deep down they realise being a crewleader without a given high-placed friend that always takes care of you is gonna be very challenging.

That said, I'd recommend anyone who has a dream to become a crewleader, to pursue their goals. Given the context of this place, it's a healthy ambition worth chasing and if the opportunities are there to seize, seize them! You're actually in for an adventure that makes your days in this place more exciting than sit and watch from the bench how others live the life you wanted. I'd also advise these people to get some information about the duties of a crewleader as the depths of the office aren't always publicly known. But when informed and still motivated... Go for it!

I can think of some questions and concerns here, but I'll keep that for when it becomes relevant. So far the outlined plans seems clear enough for people to work with. Thanks again.

Report Post Tip

How about no? Why should people contribute to scum? Doesn't make much sense pal..

Report Post Tip

Although I feel you're not the one to have a sensible debate with, G0d, but can you point out where Mr. Bonkers states that anyone has to contribute 'something' to the scum? I'm assuming you mean the surviving crewleaders are the scum, right? The only contributions being mentioned are that of the existing cities nurturing and protecting the open cities. That's someone contributing to you, instead of the other way around. Either take that chance or pass up on it.

You don't need to pay taxes. This is in fact an opportunity to run your own show, given that you perform within common standards of this world.
You can be totally different in attitude and approach than whoever it is that you dislike. You can't be an idiot, but that's never been something that's encouraged. Sadly it's been condoned, but never encouraged. This is your chance to offer an alternative to the 'scum', as you refer to people.

I do recommend to stop being shortsighted and emotional when you try for this chance, because otherwise it's probably not gonna work out.
If you see obvious flaws in the proposed plans, point them out, because there lays the opportunity to improve on it all. But your simplistic negativity was already old before you had the chance to persist in it.

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

I can see that this will be awesome.. im always wanted to try.. we'll see where it goes from there. New beginnings and long as there isn't anything so crazy like a super assasination squad.. then rest is alright .. Everyone has rules. but i am not sure that all the checks and balances will be that great. Mostly we'll see the same leaders, the same people pop up and nobody usually has a chance.. now.. this is an opportunity to test your hand.. try your luck.. so with that.. im up for the Challenge. Hope new or returning mafiosi are too. 

Report Post Tip

The aftermath of a large war (or a couple of wars) is always filled with uncertainty about how the world will be shaped from that point on so it is good to see that there has been a quick announcement on this. As has been said already, it is a great opportunity for those willing to seize the chance, for those that may have felt they have been overlooked in the past and those who have never thought about stepping up to be a crew leader. what with the added protection of the mother cities, it should make it a slightly more manageable task. I certainly look forward to see how this idea pans out across the empty cities and look forward to visiting them in the future once the new crews have settled in. 

Report Post Tip

I think this is a great idea! Thank you Godfather Bonkers for allowing such an opportunity to the masses in this thing of ours. I see this taking off with a great success and a high level of competition. Surely there will be many opting for the opportunity and contributing to The Streets to gain favor. It'll definitely increase activity in The Streets and Business Districts.

Hell, I even think it'll cause the small crews to band tighter, create a unique cohesiveness, or camaraderie.

I have high hopes for this vision, and can't wait to see what develops as a result. 

Excellent move Godfathers, thank you for bringing this exciting venture to the nation..!

Report Post Tip

From the back of the crowd, a young God moves his way forward and clears his throat..

With all respect for your attempt to enroll a rescuing plan for this community, Godfather Bonkers, I wonder what you are afraid of.. If I were in your position, if I was that powerful, if I was to feel responsible to protect someone setting up under my wing, I would not want them to restrict their personal defense, I would not want them to stay very limited and vulnerable. Would you want to imply more limitations? Will they have to ask their respective leaders, that actually are in other cities, for permission to do a crime as well?
Maybe it is the Aztec blood in me that recognizes the pure will for supreme power, maybe I am just being paranoid..

Xiuhtecuhtli looks up and sees the bell tower clock hand about to point all the way up, he looks at his Aztec calendar and realizes he has some child sacrifice offerings he needs to attend, he quickly thanks Godfather Bonkers for his time and steps back

Report Post Tip
Xiuhtecuhtli our reasons for limiting defences (at a reasonably high level) is so that should a new ambitious young leader-in-waiting wish to challenge an incumbent when a city is at capacity they can do it themself. I am not interested in shooting people simply to make space, but if someone thinks they can do a better job than an incumbent then they are welcome to try. If they're wrong though they will themself be removed - so if anyone ever does want to make a move I suggest clearing it with the relevant godfather in advance...just to make sure you don't cause any surprises or step on too many toes.

EWP is a solid level of defence. An assailant would need hundreds of kills under their belt to pull it off ad there aren't many people out there right now at that level. Furthermore, as the CL proves themself they will be granted greater levels of protection anyway.
Report Post Tip

Guzzling red wine straight from the bottle she listened to the speech, comments and questions from the crowd gathered...maybe it was the Dutch courage but she stood and addressed Godfather Bonkers direct by firstly offering the bottle of wine she had in the secret hope that it would be declined so she had a floaty journey back to the HQ afterwards and said...

Sir if I may, I have some questions...

We have seen similar 'regimes' to this implemented before and dressed up or dressed down to conceal or reveal the level of control those in power have with sometimes limited success. Firstly I admire the fact that you have been transparent about how growth will happen and what control those in established power expect to have.

Firstly we have all experienced the Gods stepping in with container crews decreed and I do believe all prefer to avoid them - they do however in circumstances such as these offer more flexibility than this plan for our world - they allow anyone of any rank to seize an opportunity, it make is interesting, a challenge, dangerous and unpredicatable that way - all the things we love about this world of ours sometimes! To be clear this is a traditional 'auth' in the sense that you require the blessing from your crew leader and a minimum rank of made man?

I think I have understood that this is the case - therefore by definition this is an emerging opportunity for some because as you quite rightly say the vast majority of our world are young and have no home and therefore have no chance to hope yet to be considered for the rank of made man in days to come - so this opportunity is for a select few survivors of the recent wars? I feel the need to be honest about this natural selection is important - it is the biggest difference between container crews and your plans for our world.

I would also like to understand a little better the limits of the control these free cities would work within, for example:

- what choices do they have if a district in their city is not co-operating for the greater good of the city? Must they come to the mother city to ask permission to take action? Can they take action?

- will the 'favour in' or 'out of favour' be a hidden knowledge or a community knowledge?

- you mention that if in favour more 'freedom' will be granted - does this scale extend to no longer belonging under the wing of another city and if so how will this be measured and communicated?

- I am aware crew leaders meet on a regular basis - what voice will the crew leaders in these cities have - is it equal to established ones or diluted to reflect status?

she sits and listens for answers...

Report Post Tip

Philip speaks out from the crowd after hearing both sides going at it about the pros and cons of the announcement.

I like several other people here find this idea to be fantastic. Not only does this provide a feat for others to prove themselves and display their business and political tactics but it opens the doors for other who may have otherwise not had this opportunity to do so. The reality is that not everyone is fit to be in such a position but after such events that we have seen it's great to see an attempt to be made at rebuilding and moving on instead of dwelling at the past.

Report Post Tip

Xiuhtecuhtli 

With all respect for your attempt to enroll a rescuing plan for this community, Godfather Bonkers, I wonder what you are afraid of.. If I were in your position, if I was that powerful, if I was to feel responsible to protect someone setting up under my wing, I would not want them to restrict their personal defense, I would not want them to stay very limited and vulnerable. Would you want to imply more limitations? Will they have to ask their respective leaders, that actually are in other cities, for permission to do a crime as well?
Maybe it is the Aztec blood in me that recognizes the pure will for supreme power, maybe I am just being paranoid..

You have to look at the landscape and dissect it. Look at it deeper and understand where we are and what we have. The worst thing that we can ever do is create a top-heavy scenario. We pretty much have 80% of this world starting from scratch, thats everything from 0. Gun notches, hired BG's and the amount of drugs you're trusted to carry. With this in mind have a real think about what i mean when i say top-heavy. 

Of course there will always be a top-heavy portion of this world, thats natural. But if we just allow people to go in to something like this all guns blazing, we the community allow a man made top-heavy situation. There will be no balance at all and thats when and why problems will occur. A system such as this allows the "normal" mobster to try their hand at changing things. Its not a case of the top portion of this world worried about people building, as you have seen, you can carry the most amount of BG's a person is allowed and it doesn't really make much of a difference. It is not a case of paranoia, its a case of trying to keep things balanced. There should always, where best possible have a top, a middle and a bottom. A system like this allows for progression and movement but it does so at a growth rate that is equal to those around it. There should always be the "what if factor" for far too long we have sat and got complacent, anything that adds a new dynamic is a winner for me. Even if it fails.

Its interesting though, this was pretty much a suggestion that my father entered when he had his bold suit on and it was a none starter but that was a different period in time. We wasn't as vacant as we are now. That goes to prove my point i spoke about on the opposite corner yesterday, that a lot of things are subject to the time period and what will work at one point in time, might not work in another etc.  

While i utterly detest the container crews i think its important that we find a balance, what i dont want to see is people setting up their organisations just because we have housing issues therefor just allowing anybody to do it, thats a counter productive move.  Personally im all for something like this, i cant see why anyone wouldn't at least allow it take shape and then judge. If it doesnt work, then it doesnt work-so what! 

Hell, it might even be something that im interested in. 

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

Thank you for your questions Anteros.

You should ask your current CL for their blessing to leave. Otherwise you may be in breach of your existing families' rules on 'blood in, blood out'. It is not however a fully traditional auth as once your own CL has granted you permission to leave you are simply asking the mother city to rubber stamp approve your setting up. We want to give people a chance even where bloodlines have not been entwined historically - so we're open to taking more of a punt on people.

This opportunity is open to anyone eligible to start a family, so need to be a made man or above.

This is not just an opportunity for survivors of recent wars. We are opening up two slots per district in three cities. That's 18 slots. I don't expect them all to be taken in 10 or so days' time. And if they are? Well, find the person that's been bold for a week and still hasn't visited our streets and clear a space for yourself.

Favour will not be publicly posted anywhere, but should be obvious. A family that does a good job will be given the nod to expand. Families that are a little slower off the ground will receive private guidance from their Mother city head as to what they can do to improve - so they'll know to work on improving their fortunes. For outsiders it should therefore be obvious which families are in favour.

If families within the city wish to take action internally then they are free to operate as they see appropriate. But given the ties to the Mother city I'd strongly recommend pre-clearing any such move anyway. I don't like surprises.

For now these families will not partake in the traditional fortnightly CL meetings. Many of you will be aware that the model of 30+ voices failing to agree has led to limited action on a number of fronts. I invite them to work together within their cities in proposing their own strategic directions. If they have ideas for the wider community then the streets is the place for these ideas to be discussed.

Report Post Tip

With the help of GodFather FitzChivalry and Don Disorder, I will be setting down on Pasadena LA under the name of Memento Mori.

Report Post Tip

I've always been an advocate of this type of thing and I think all of our interactions are governed by favour to some degree; why should leadership be any different? 

I hope this opportunity is grasped with both hands. Las Vegas began it's current iteration under similar circumstances, so there really is no ceiling upon what can be achieved if people are prepared to take a chance.

Report Post Tip
Bonkers, way to turn on your city. But you couldn't even find the balls to do it and shoot your Godfather so instead you decide to just go to sleep while your city is shot to shit. Then come back and talk like you did something. The regime of traitors. How long until the guns turn inward again?
Report Post Tip

I am very glad that we are expanding business in the empty districts, we need this more then ever in this community. We have tons and tons of homeless and the streets are cold and wet. We need places for people to rest their heads. 

Even tho there might be limitations right now on the HQ's and protection. But as I read in my fathers journals and as Sensei Sweet my Teacher just stated: 

Las Vegas began it's current iteration under similar circumstances, so there really is no ceiling upon what can be achieved if people are prepared to take a chance. ~LuciusSweet

Seems sky is the limit to what can be achieved in the future. 

Report Post Tip

Angelina has been given permission to set up in Detroit as part of this project. Good luck to her!

Report Post Tip

Thank you Utopia. I hope to do well with my first crew. If anyone has any advice of the sort, please feel free to share it with me. 

Report Post Tip

Hello friends, you may know me as Argyle and that's because that is my name so of course you'd know me as Argyle, but some of you also may know me as a rather masculine man who is good at everything he does. That's because its a very apt description.

I will be going to the city of Philadelphia aka the city where I was born to rule aka Philly aka Philadelphia.

He flexes for a moment before continuing.

I hope you are all very excited for me. I deserve it.

Thank you for your time.

Flexes again for good measure before walking off into the brisk sunset.

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Got what it takes?
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL