Get Timers Now!
X

May 20 - 06:11:10
Page: [ <<< - < ] 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [ > - >>> ]
Lakeside Park & Coffee Shop Started by: Lushie on Sep 06, '18 18:50

Kaeden could tell what was going on as soon as he saw the fork. For some reason, he felt an instinct to protect his precious cake and pulled it a little closer while glaring over at Lydia and her fork. he opened his mouth to say something but then decided against it. He reluctantly nudged the cake back to the center of the table before speaking.

"Fine... I guess there is enough to share... so you found the place alright? I realized this morning we said we would meet for coffee but never actually picked a place. I just asked a cab to bring me to coffee and this was where he took me. How did you know?" 

Kaeden took another huge bite of the cake and a sip of coffee and continued talking before Lydia could actually answer his question. 

"Oh, and did you see all the stuff on the way through the park? There was a maze, rowboats, fishing, we could spend a whole day here and still not do everything!"

Kaeden was finally starting to get full from the cake, and there was still over half of it left. He slowed down on the cake and focused on his coffee, maybe he would get a second wind here soon. Besides, it was still pretty early and he needed this coffee to wake him up a little bit more... especially if they ended up in a rowboat or something. 

Report Post Tip

Lydia picked up her fork and stuck it on the edge of the plate, getting a hold of it she pulled it towards her. She could see Kaedens eyes light up a bit, yes he was getting full and yes he was willing to share but when she actually took it and pulled it near her he began having second thoughts. He was about to say something but thought against it, you never mess with a hungry woman’s food. Especially Lydia, whom may have been know to stab people with forks over food. 

She dug her fork into the cake and pulled off a piece then brought it to her mouth. She wasn’t usually a fan of fruit cake but this fruit cake was amazing. She dug in and grabbed another piece before finishing the one in her mouth. In mid chew she finally decided to answer him. 

“Well I’m here aren’t I?” She said with a smile. 

“Actually I had the slightest clue, just told the driver to bring me to a coffee house. He laughed but brought me here, guess it’s my lucky day?”

She placed the fork down and picked up her coffee, it wasn’t lava hot anymore but it was still hot though perfect drinking temperature. She took a sip then another before making eye contact with Kaeden once again. 

“No I didn’t see all the stuff around here, truly was just focused on you and the coffee. So rowboats you say? That sounds, oddly romantic.”

She tilted her head and gave him a glare.

”Are you going soft on me Kaeden?”

Report Post Tip

Kaeden finished off his coffee and figured it was time for another cup.

"Soft? I just noticed there were rowboats! Personally, I would rather go fishing... if you insist on a boat journey I guess I would consider it though..." 

Kaeden turned and headed back to the counter as he finished talking. Luckily there was only one person in line, once he got his coffee and left Kaeden stepped up to order. 

"Um, just a coffee, please." He said.

Kaeden paid for his drink and headed over towards the other counter with the cream and milf on it. He took off the lid and dumped in a generous amount of milk until the coffee was right up to the brim of the cup before stirring it and putting the lid back on. He then headed back to his seat across from Lydia and flopped down in his chair. 

Report Post Tip

“Fishing you say? I’ve never gone fishing.” 

Kaedens jaw dropped.

”WHAT??!?”

”Yeah, you heard that right. I’ve never been, is it fun? Is there booze involved? I mean if you want to go fishing we can.” 

Lydia picked up her coffee and took a big gulp then another forkful of cake. 

Report Post Tip

"Oh, we are definitely going fishing. You'll love it! There is booze involved if you do it right, although I am not really sure what the rules are like here."

Kaeden pulled the cake back a little closer to his side of the table and took another bite, it looked so good he figured he had room for a little bit more. As he was chewing he noticed a little pamphlet on the edge of their table with all of the attractions and things you could do at the Lakeside Park. 

"Ah ha!" kaeden said almost losing the cake from his mouth in the process. 

"Let's see what this thing says.." 

Kaeden flipped through the pamphlet until he found the section about their fishing and read it quietly to himself.

"Umm, it seems you can just go fish on the docks or on the banks by the river. Says here there is a hut somewhere down by the water where we can rent a few rods... not sure about baits or anything. We'll just find some worms they work best anyways..."

Report Post Tip

"Worms? Eww... Can't we use anything besides worms?"

Kaeden shook his head and snickered at her.

"Well yeah there are other things but worms work the best and they are the cheapest option I'm sure. It's really easy actually, you just take the worm out of the dirt. You then jab it with the hook, twist it around and jab it again."

The description of it didn't sound too appealing to her but she didn't want to seem appalled by it.

"Oh, ok that's all?"

"Yeah it's easy, I'll show you."

"Oh... ok then..."

She picked up her fork which she left resting on the plate and grabbed herself another bit of the fruit cake. She proceeded to wash it down with another gulp of coffee.

"You did say there would be booze, yeah?"

Report Post Tip

"Well, there definitely can be booze involved. Not sure if they sell any here somewhere or not though..." 

Kaeden picked the pamphlet back up off of the table and started to skim through. He couldn't find anywhere in the park that would sell booze...

"Yeah, not looking good for the whole liquor thing. I don't think they sell any here... is that deal breaker for you for the whole fishing thing?" 

Kaeden asked as he went back to eating the cake which was almost all gone by this point. After a few more bites he decided he was full once again and leaned back in his chair.

"It's up to you I guess, we have a few options... go fishing sober, go find a bar and drink, or we can try and find some booze and then go fishing?"

Report Post Tip

Lydia thought about it for a moment, a quick moment. 

“Well... fishing sounds good but boozing and fishing sounds sooooo much better doesn’t it?” 

She didn’t even give him the time to answer before answering for him.

”Of course it sounds better, duh!” 

She picked her fork up and leaned in towards the cake but stopped just before jamming her fork in it. If she was gonna be drinking in a little bit she didn’t want to fill up on cake. She placed her fork down and push the cake closing to Kaeden. 

“Keep that cake away from me, if we are drinking I need to stop eating it.”

Report Post Tip

kaeden looked down at the cake, then back up at Lydia.

"Um, don't people usually want to eat before they drink? I thought the saying was not to drink on an empty stomach?" 

Kaeden finished off what was left of the cake before continuing. For some reason, he couldn't leave food on his plate, probably his fathers' fault...

"So as I was saying... I am all for fishing, I love fishing! It's even better with booze, but that leaves us with a slight problem. Where are we gonna get liquor?"

Kaeden was starting to feel the effects of too much cake and wasn't sure he would be moving any time soon, so they probably had plenty of time to figure this problem out. He sat back in his chair and took a deep breath.

"Why the hell did I get an entire cake?"

Report Post Tip

“I was kind of wondering why you had an entire cake in front of you when I got here but it was you so I really didn’t question it. No that’s not some sort of fat joke, so don’t even go there.” 

She knew if she hadn’t said something about it not being a fat joke he would have so gotten on her about it. Not that he was fat cause he wasn’t but more that’s just the type of personality he had. 

“So in regards to the booze I have the slightest idea. Yes I’ve been to Detroit before but not this part of town, shit I couldn’t even tell you where in the city we are. We are actually in the city, right?” 

Kaeden looked around him then out the window, he pointed out the window making Lydia turn her head and look. 

“Detroit financial, Yeah seems we are in Detroit.” 

“Ok well glad we figured that out but any idea how we get the booze? Or do we just go fishing and drink later?”

Report Post Tip

"Hmm, I think I have an idea, just let me digest for a minute or two." Kaeden said still leaned back in his hair cursing himself for eating so much cake.

Kaeden sat there recovering from his cake for a few minutes before getting up from the table with a groan and limping his way back over to the counter.

"Another coffee?" The lady behind the counter asked.

"Um no thank you. Actually, I was wondering if I could use your phone?"

"I don't see why not, right this way!" She signaled for kaeden to follow her and disappeared into the back of the cafe.

Kaeden followed her back to the phone and dialed the cab company that had dropped him off a few hours earlier. 

"Bob's Taxi, how may I help you?" The man on the other line said as he picked up the phone.

"Hello, is Fred there?"  Kaeden asked, he was pretty sure the man that dropped him off had said his name was Fred...

"Yeah one sec."  there was a few minutes of silence and then a new voice came across the phone.

"This is Fred, who's this?"  Said Fred the cab driver.

"Hello, this is Kaeden you dropped me off at the Lakeside Coffee Shop earlier? I'll pay you $100 if you pick me up a case of beer and a bottle of gin and bring it to me at the lake?"

$100 was all Fred needed to hear, he assured Kaeden he would be there in a half hour in the same place where he had dropped him off. Kaeden thanked the lady for letting him use her phone and returned to the table where Lydia was waiting feeling mighty proud of himself for solving their booze problem. 

"Problem solved! Liquor is on the way! You like gin right?" kaeden asked as he sat back down at the table. 

Report Post Tip

“Problem solved?”

Kaeden sat there with a smile on his face. 

“Yup problem solved, I have a bottle of gin coming for you and a case of beer for me.” 

Lydia’s eyes lit up, almost instantly fishing sounded like the most fun thing ever. She stood up and motioned for Kaeden to get up as well, he used his hands to gesture her to sit back down. 

“It’ll be here in like 30 minutes, we have time and plus I need that time to let this cake settle.” 

“Fine! I still can’t believe you ate the whole cake. I mean I had a couple of bites but you still ate everything else. Fat ass.” 

She said with a chuckle as she sat back down in her seat. She adjusted herself so she was able to look out the front window, even though she had no idea who was bringing the stuff she figured she’d know by whomever was carrying booze. 

“How long until he gets here?”

”Well 2 minutes ago I said 30 minutes, so 28 minutes? Though you need to relax, it’ll get here soon don’t worry.” 

“Me worry? I’m just thirsty is all.”

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

kaeden sat there for what felt like forever, regreting all of the cake the entire time. Lydia was watching the clock like a hawk counting down the minutes out loud. 

"It's been 28 minutes!" She said finally.

"Oh crap, we need to get back up to the road!" kaeden said as he jumped up from the table. 

They got out to the road just as the cab pulled up, Kaeden thanked Fred and paid him for the booze but asked him to wait a few minutes before leaving. He headed back over to Lydia while Fred waited. 

"Um, I am sure the fishing is great here at the lake... but if we are gonna fish and drink I actually have a friend that lives on 12th Street here in Detroit. He has one hell of a fancy fishing boat and I bet he would let us use it. Whatcha think? Fishing in a boat is more fun anyways!"

Lydia agreed to the new plan and the two of them jumped in the cab and headed for 12th street to go fishing. 

Charlie sighed, walking into the Lakeside Park and Coffee Shop. He knew that it was owned by a former mentor of his, Lushie, someone that he had lost contact with, but hoped that she was alright, he did not order any coffee. He simply looked around, knowing that his days in Detroit were over now and he simply looked around, before nodding his head. Knowing that everything was okay for now, he had wanted to check up on his friend's business, knowing that she seemed to be a little occupied with business away from The Life.

He looked over to an employee with a smile, knowing that they would inform Lushie of his presence here. He leaned forward, whispering to them with a small smile. 

"Do inform your manager that I checked in on this place, Charlie sends his best."

With this, Charlie walked away, leaving a confused employee, wondering how he would explain to his boss that her former associate had visited her business. 

Luckies was cruising around Detroit, about to make way back to his home in Seattle. He still had a few hours to burn before going to the airfield, and he was planning on taking his Remington Model 1890 for some tuning, but commotion in a nearby park caught his attention.

He decided he had more than enough time to let the crew's armourer take care of his beloved revolver back in Seattle, so he made quick stop at the garden. He hopped off the cab and walked through the garden, observing the people of Detroit enjoying the public space. This was wonderful, Seattle was certainly lacking something of the sorts. Maybe jackie would be interested in some sort of entrepreneurship like this.

Despite the fact that his walk was idle minded, he still found himself wandering in the general direction of the coffee shop. He took a quick look at the menu, and realized something - there was no hooch on the menu. He remembered his breakfast special and ordered some fresh orange juice " (...) on the rocks", which got him a funny look from the barista. Luckies was clearly not the OJ type.

He studied his surroundings while waiting for the juice - a byproduct of his paranoid mind, by itself a side condition of being a gangster. He noticed the impeccable gardening work that characterized this place, he couldn't help to praise it silently and to think of his father's perfectionism with his own farm. Slight nostalgia assaulted him, while thinking of papa's vines and the perfectly trimmed edges, and for a second, it was almost as he was right back at his childhood farm. But the barista woke him up from his daydream, with a glass of cold orange juice in his hand and a confused look as to why this man was glaring at him. Luckies took a seat by the lake with his juice, holding his briefcase in the other hand and never letting go of it.

Frank walked in alone he wanted a little peace as he sat by the lake.  He ordered hot chocolate and a slice of apple pie with scoop vanilla ice cream on top.  He was treating himself as he looked at lake Michigan.  He was alone and could hear his thoughts as loud as he could hear another persons voice. 

He missed his Lucia but he had to go on of blow his own brains out.  His family back home would never under stand that.  They raised him to be strong and to face his problems and come to a conclusion that was best for himself.

He ate his pie and ice cream it was very good.  He drank his now cooled off hot chocolate then looked out over the water and smiled when he saw a large ship heading out from the Canadian side.  He wondered how much money was on that ship.  

Report Post Tip

It was still early morning in Detroit as Grosso had arrived during the red eye flight. He had a busy day in front of him and decided he needed some fresh air and maybe a cup of coffee to get him started. He remembered that he had once visited a nice park in Detroit. He wondered if it would still be beautiful this time of year. Last tie it was autumn and the autumn colours were stunning. Now it was winter and back home many of the trees and plants were having a hard time staying alive. 

As he left the front entrance of the airport he saw an empty cab. Entering the vehicle Grosso instructed the driver to bring him to Lakeside Park. As they were driving through Detroit Grosso noticed many of the trees did not have leaves here either. Starting to doubt whether or not a walk through the park would have the wanted effect Grosso decided to get coffee first and the make up his mind, hoping a place by a window would convince him the a walk would be worth it. 

Arriving at Lakeside Park & Coffee shop Grosso paid his fare to the driver and got out of the car. He walked towards the coffee shop and opened the door. It was fairly busy for the time of day and Grosso walked towards the counter where a few people where waiting to get their coffee. As Grosso waited in line he looked outside, he noticed the lake. Too cold for a boat ride he thought to himself. He should visit this place in the summer.  

When it was his turn at the counter he was greeted friendly by the young barrista. She smiled at him and asked him what she could get for him.  

"Good morning, I would like a cup of coffee and a slice of sponge cake please." Grosso replied to the woman. He then waited for his order while the woman started grinding the coffee beans. 

Report Post Tip

Due to some logistical error, Heinrich's Prussian history guest lecture at Detroit University had been postponed till the next day. Therefore, with some time on his hands, he decided to enjoy the afternoon sun basking down on him from above by heading to a local Lake. He ignored the coffee shop for the time being and proceeded to the gardens.

The brilliant hues of the flowers interspersed between the lush green shrubbery reminded him of the gardens at his estate. Memories flooded into him, innocent reminders of his youth when he had carelessly frolicked around in the gardens of the family estate with the children of the visiting nobles. 

Never the most obedient child he had been caught staining the marble floors with the gardens mud in his boots many times. The gardens were where he had made his first friend, the son of a stable hand who trained his horse. Caressing a daffodil he smiled as he remembered that the gardens were where he had his first kiss, the daughter of one of his mother's maids, innocent and beautiful. However, the smile disappeared as soon as it had risen and he crushed the flower in his fist as he recalled how he had been barred entry into the gardens now that they had been seized by the Weimar Republic.

With a sigh, he moved on, perhaps drawn in by the intrigue of the maze or perhaps by a desire to stifle the negative triggers before an episode occurred again. Curious to see where it led, he left caution behind and proceeded unguided. Yet, confusing as the maze was, it did little to calm him. Instead, it served only to inflame him further as he felt the panic brew. Clouds cloaked the sun above and the canopy seemed to engulf him.

The maze had transported him back to the tunnels beneath the Franco-British trenches at the Somme that the sappers had dug. His eyes nervously flickered, gazing around each corner, fearful that an enemy would burst out through the hedges he lamented the absence of his rifle. Spinning around in a desperate attempt to be prepared against the enemy's assault he could feel the adrenaline coursing through his veins.

Unable to cope with the heightened state of emotion, he finally collapsed on to the grass below and curled himself into a ball wishing he could shield himself against any mines that might explode nearby. Tears streamed down his face as he felt shame envelop him. Pulling out the flask of riesling he kept in his pocket, Heinrich sipped away the cocktail of fear and embarrassment. The Riechsgraf's heir, the Hauptmann of the Stoßtruppen, the notorious Grimm Reaper, had been reduced to a scared sniffling mess.

Several hours later, once he had recovered, he slowly made his way out, thankful that no one had found him for he was truly uncertain what he would have done to them. Taking a final gulp of the warm liquor, he departed from the premises, vowing to never return.

Report Post Tip

Bella tossed breadcrumbs to the ducks and wondered if she knew any of these particular animals.  How long did ducks live?  Had these ducks, their parents, or grandparents witnessed all she'd been and done in her life?

She put a hand on her belly as the child within kicked.  She smiled.  There was a time she had been here thinking this would never come to pass.  She found herself speaking out loud to the ghosts that haunted this place.

"Well, I've been walking a lot.  I bet that's what you do on the other side.  I sometimes wonder if you're still walking with me.  I bet you see it all and more clearly than I do.  If know William... please tell him hello for me.  We miss him dearly.  Everyday.  I miss you too.  It's weird, I love the life I ended up having... but do wonder how things might have gone were it not for the intervention of things beyond us."

She emptied the cup.

"Would we have died with my father?  I think that's how it would have gone.  If we'd had a kid... it would be about Aurora's age.  An orphan too.  They both would have been made orphans by that war."  She sighed.  "Maybe it's better things went this way?  Still... you can't know how much I wish hadn't.  I love my husband, but  I'm glad you didn't die hating me.  I'm glad you didn't die with me hating you either."

She stood up, throwing the cup into the garbage.  The time for sitting had passed.  It was time to do what Elias had taught her best: no matter what life threw at you - keep walking.

Report Post Tip

Morning tuition consistently began at 6AM for as long as she could recall. An hour of elocution preceded an hour of choir, then breakfast. Her mother would fuss over minor faults in the recited lines while Connies' sisters observed her performance from the ivory rug, beaming with adoration. That was then, though. Now, she strolled content through the park, accustomed to waking early and using that time in a manner she found suitable. 

She was under no illusion that life was ever going to be the same again. The thought flickered through her mind as she passed through the play area, taking a moment to appreciate the curiously designed helter-skelter. She walked by the lakes and walked through the trees. The coffee shop soon found her before she became totally lost to the moment. The clerk was pleasant and keen, greeting her appropriately. Connie offered an appreciative smile. 

"It most certainly is, kind sir."

A steaming coffee soon grasped at the morning air. Connie sat and sighed. 

Report Post Tip

Detroit Business District
Replying to: Lakeside Park & Coffee Shop
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL