Get Timers Now!
X

Apr 25 - 22:51:29
Page:  1 2 [ > - >>> ]
Share Your MR Origins Story! Started by: Isabella-Luciano on Jan 31, '19 01:51

I'd love to hear how you got here.  When did you first come?  Who brought you?  What was your first run like?  What's changed since then?  Do you miss stuff?  Are you grateful some shit has changed?  I'd love to hear where you came up from and how.  So... if you got a moment, pull up a seat and let's talk! 

PS:  Yes, I'll share mine shortly but I'm so new most of you probably know it.  :)  

Report Post Tips: 3 / Total: $60,000 Tip

I was brought here by Jerry back in like 2005? He let me learn the game, then shot me, acted like he didn't and then started laughing at me. He sat next to me pretending like it was a huge deal.

He was a dick back then. FUCKING JERRY.

Report Post Tips: 2 / Total: $220,000 Tip

Angela takes a deep, heavy breath and sits back as she recollects...wait fuck that, this is OOC.

I was on a drinking binge and realized I had unknowingly been rewatching several of my mafia based crime movies. One of my favorite PS2 games was The Godfather. My favorite GTA was Vice City due to acquiring your own gang, giving them sweet tye-dye shirts and expanding...

Anyway. Korea, 2009. Neat whiskey and Google. I searched for Mafia games...completely intending to find a REAL game. I found this text based shit and said, hey what the hell let's try it. I got in with some good people, and while I've never really been into the RP side of things, the betrayal, politics, scheming and general drama of the game had me fuckin hooked. 

Now it's 2019 and im still a loser. 

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip
The year is 2012 I had been a long term player of a game called injustice that had moved into another game we shared an irc server looking through the MR room I noticed one of my friends was there I asked him about MR and he said “make a character and I will show you the ropes” I struggled to understand the game in the beginning but slowly came around I took a lot of breaks between playing text based mafia games I came back in ‘16 and had a good run took a break and came back last year due the the toxic player base and regime of a game I was playing

I remember Injustice Heston, a few of the Mafia.Org players ventured over into it a for a bit. Was a decent wee game, but not a patch on MR/.org.

Anyway, I digress. It was 2002 when I first found mafia.org, a friend of mine and his class mates at College had been playing games on the FHM Top 100 games list, Mafia.Org was evidently amongst them.

He showed me it that night and we both made a character at my house, as did two others. Then we were dead the next day for duping. Had no idea wtf we had done. So I made new characters for us and died again! Oops.

The others didnt bother trying again, but I stuck with it. Made a character and joined a crew (name escapes me). Was a nice enough family tbh, they taught me a few things and then we got killed soon after. The world kinda repeated like that a lot until I joined a Dutch man called Shippie, he ran a crew called SNOEP (Shippies New Orleans East side Posse). Without doubt still one of the best crews I've ever been part of. In these days our HQs were at 200, within each crew you had Sub-Crews, so as to allow all players to feel handled in some manner instead of people simply being ignored.

You would always deal first and foremost with your Sub Crew leader before anything with your CL. Most people also never made it past Wise Guy. Making Made was a real honour in those times. In fact, making my bones with SNOEP is probably what got me hooked the most on this life. I'd been in the crew a while, a lad called TheD (who I was later to learn lived about 20 minutes from my house and went to the same school as my cousin) took me under his wing and pretty much taught all there was to learn about killing. We didn't have any of the current luxuries such as RIA's, MIA's Jail Crackdown or Durdens/Rogue to shoot at. So guns were prone to building slower and there was less knowledge of what a person could, or couldn't, hit.

I made it all the way to Consigliere on that run, which if memory serves was the top rank we could achieve in those days, there weren't any Dons or Godfathers at that point. I was a CL and died when someone went rogue, probably still the most prolific rogue that I can think of tbh, he killed several Cls that night. I can't entirely remember the reason for him going rogue, but i'm sure it stemmed from someone he liked being killed and no-one owned up to taking the shot. Something along those lines. Older players will likely remember BrianArao, not just for that day but for being an all round good player at this thing of ours.

Dieing that night was probably the key thing to keeping me around, which is something people should really think about the next time they die in a war etc. Losing that character hurt, but it gave me a chance to then prove to myself and others that I could build another character just like it and that it wasn't some fluke.

Everyone gets annoyed/angry/upset when they die here, its to be expected, but they should remember that everyone dies eventually and only in death can you begin the next chapter of your life. Starting again sucks at first, but if you find that spark to keep yourself active and plugging away, then you'll be instantly hooked to this thing of ours. It's only when you have lost the will to grind those early ranks and build that gun, that we see people floating away on a "break".

Well, that was a nice wee walk down memory lane. I know there are some other older players that joined before me and some around the same time as me due to FHM, so I hope this spurs them to share their own wee tales also.

Cheers.

Report Post Tips: 2 / Total: $40,000 Tip

Wow, thank you for coming in to share your stories guys and especially Warrior.  Your insights are pretty cool.  I have to say when I heard that crews used to be 200 people large I was shocked and even more shocked to hear about the subcrews thing as it's something I've tried to do in my own Tower twice now (successfully once and once not so much - lol!)

I, of course, joined just under two years ago.  I was trying to find a job, but to no avail.  So, in my head I kept thinking about this website I had started with a friend (which later became an LLC) that was one of the first selling 'in game items' for real-world cash.  We actually won an award for businesses here at a local college when we presented it to a panel.

I'd often thought about how I'd walked away from it after the birth of my daughter because it had consumed too much of my life ... and how much I regretted hearing that it fell apart.  In retrospect, we ran a combat system manually and storylines personally so it meant 60 hour weeks and even that wasn't enough to meet the demand of our audience that was still growing when I walked away.  

So I was sitting there, jobless, thinking "dude if I could do that again, with an automated combat system, then I might be able to make a go of that!"  And since I was broke and it sounded fun I started coding.  I made a site, but the more I tested my code the more bugs I found and the more frustrated I got.  I thought about this and decided maybe inventing the wheel wasn't the way to go... maybe if I surfed around and found a system I liked I could talk with the owner and discuss some business ideas with him/her.

So I joined like ... I don't know maybe a dozen browser-based games and started looking at what I liked and didn't like from them.  MafiaReturns was one.  I made LuckyLucy and maybe a minute on the account this guy (I want to say his account name was DonaldTrump) sends me like $1,000,000 which I thought was pretty cool.  We bounced a few ooc letters and then I get this message from an account called 'TammyGato' and it's totally IC.

As you guys know (now) I am a total geek for RP so... I'm instantly hooked.  Gato pulls me into Pollution's crew (SMOG) and I start rolling with them.  And well, then shit went down with Disorder's end and then I ended up with Arya Stark and the Faceless Men in Philly.  Arya, Wrench, and all the gang in Philly were my first REAL family here.  And while I made a ton of errors in my early days, I still keep in touch with some of them and love them tons!

Of course, I went on to have a great run as Lucy (as it's infamously thrown about a lot - surviving what I probably should have been killed by before I even knew 'going down with the ship' was a thing) and I've stuck around for the stories ever since.  I like to think I've brought some good stuff here with me... and I like to think that this place has slowly changed me too.  :)

Anyway... yeah, that's how I got here and my start and I hope to be here for some time to come.

Report Post Tips: 2 / Total: $40,000 Tip

I started playing Mafia games back on MySpace. I don't remember the name of it (this was 11 years back), anyways found MafiaMofo after that and 10 years, STILL have same account there. Don't play it much anymore.

So this past May, I was bored and wanted to get back into Mafia games I enjoyed years before. Did several turn based one ... not bad, but simple, no content. Then happened to find MR on one of the voting sites.

May 4th, 2018 "jonnythecon" was born. The game was confusing at first, what with all the things to do, then Sosa contacted me, gave me some pointers and then an invite to join Glory Gang. About a week later I woke up to everyone in the family dead but me. Had no clue what the hell happened. Joined a container crew because game was in "Rebuild Mode"? Again, something new I had no clue about LOL. It was a new experience every day.

With RP as it's base (Total Treads/Posts 23/190), I was hooked. I joined Dauntless Assassins, then Elyan started his own crew (Skinwalkers), so I asked to leave to join his, that night Dauntless died. Then Skinwalkers were disbanded, so joined Race Street. I retired that first account shortly there after cause I felt slighted, after all of that (LMAO, sorry JackMezzo I took the game to seriously then).

This is my 11th character (6 of them just quick restarts to find out what happened.) I have been in 11 crews (12 if you count container crew). Been a RH a couple of times. And now, once again, building a character. LOLOL .... love this game.

Report Post Tip

I started playing because this site was the highest voted game (see, voting works) on some random site. I was looking for something to do while I was on 450+ days of bed rest.

Report Post Tip

Someone named Lucius brought be over back in 2015 to join Reverend_Al_Sharpton. It was a fun first run, but it did not last long as there was soon a big war that wiped out quite a lot of people. I do feel like I've learned a lot and i don't miss too much, things have changed for the better i feel. 

Report Post Tip

It seems forever ago now... 15ish years.

200 HQ fams, online lists for days. No Godfathers. Impossible to rank to Boss

Oh the good ol days.

Report Post Tip
Same as royksopp big ole days i come and go before kids used to rack up 60hrsca week on mr now ichave kids i get a lot less time tho dojt get tue burn out as much.

I googled mafia games it poped up been coming and going since .org or .net to long ago rise and fall rise and fall. Will always come back i enjoy the concept. Few tuings added not 100% with but over all still great
Report Post Tip

When did you first come? :April of 2016 I think somewhere near there.  yes I am still a Newbie.

Who brought you?  Nobody. After a hiatus from the internet for a couple years I came to back to an old game ( not here) and found my RP family was gone. That game did not have what I needed so I looked through its votes sites and after several games I landed here. 

What was your first run like?    Most devastating moment in this game: the death of my first account here. I was unaware that when  the character died  here and you had to start over. No one warned me that is what happens, maybe if they had I would not been so devastated . I put so much detail and effort into my first RP chara here I cried for a day because of the lost work, and have not put that much into my RP chara's  here since. 

What's changed since then? several things have changed I cant remember them all

Do you miss stuff?  No It is a waste of energy to miss anything.

Report Post Tip

I just started. My cousin told me to try it because i played Omerta before.

Report Post Tip

First character was BigAce or something.  KTI- was my crew leader and he had a really cool RHM Sunshine or something that recruited me and they both were kind and helped me along.  That must be about 4 years ago now.

I remember being on vacation to Florida and logged in to the cement shoes screen for the first time when I checked into the hotel.  I turn my phone off when I go to the US to avoid all the roaming charges.  I didn't understand what happened.  

I started up a new Character and got recruited into Philadelphia by Spike under Siriusblack when Tetley was GF of Philadelphia.  I had a pretty long run there and Illfated was a pretty good mentor.  I truly learned a lot that run.  Things kept building and I met a ton of really good and helpful people.  I didn't die too often at the start but it started getting more frequent.

I've played online multi player games for the better part of 15 years now.  I started with MMARMY - an MMA sim, then switched to Metroho - a hockey manager sim, and then came here.  I don't know how long I'll be here.  I've tried to leave it a few times but I always seem to find my way back lol.  I think I found it because I wanted to play a mafia game and this came up in some sort of search.

i googled and found game

Report Post Tip

Oh boy... I think my very first account had to be 07/08? Pretty straight forward, my 48 hours expired and I was shot. 

Then I remember joining Premier after that and I died because there was a war I assume. Frustrated I think I left the game for time and my memory gets foggy. 

I remember my first hard lesson in MR. Back in the day before RIA's and MIA's etc.. We just had IA's you would know if they are IA because it would say "inactive" instead of "alive" in the profile of whatever account you were shooting. Well what they said those are fair game to be shot.. I neglected to understand that they also can't be sponsored so Judge_Holden (my CL) shot me and when I came back I was told to apologize to Sherlock (CL of the IA).

A significant amount of time had passed and I was kind of learning things like that the hard way.. But eventually I finally had a character that was Made... My CL at the time was Shamroc.. That had to be around.. 09? Help me out old timers! But alas we were killed again. 

I can't recall if there were characters in between but my next memory is St. Louis with Hound as the Godfather, Madara my CL. We had a war with New Orleans (first one I ever participated in and also the first one I had survived) but we were killed shortly after for basically saying "the only reason we killed NO is because we can." That character made the rank of Boss. 

In 2012 I began using the character name Kill-The-Irishman.. I was in CarlGrimes crew when the May war happened. First of like... three Don characters. I believe districts were introduced by this time?

Next major character was shortly after. That was with Prolong, Ashes, and probably First also. I think that was my first upper structure character. Prolong's LH I think.

2014 was my first CL character name was WhereTheRedFernGrows.. Legendary made GF if I remember. In all honesty that whole run was such a clusterfuck I couldn't tell you how long I lived as a CL... Wasn't very I know that.

Next CL character was during the days of Disorder/GOATS/303 or whatever they were called. First was the GF of LA and pretty much the only non-303 people left. This character was important to me because I finally got a taste of what successfully running a crew looks like. It's also a crew where the players I had.. Most of them no longer play, or have gone super incog or whatever. 

Then finally, we get to the character Indifference referenced at the beginning of his MR journey. 2015 I had a crew DT under Transporter. Honestly that's about all I remember about that. This was actually the last time I ever went by WhereTheRedFernGrows

I then ran another DT crew (almost every character of mine ends up in DT somehow.. That's the real curse of DT.. You never leave) Under TonyCapazzo... This was the crew I met Joe_Ligambi as I think he was one of hands at that time. This was also the last CL character I ever had. I've just been riding the waves ever since. That was 2015

Disclaimer: I had to look through some archives to remember some of this stuff.. But as I finish this I recall being in a crew that was part of the Rainbow Coalition (I think) Emerald was my CL.. Not sure why that stands out in my mind, but I don't think that character is in my archives. So I kind of just hit milestones here.. Not much of an origin story but a small biography... Ten years that all started with a life changing google search.. 

Report Post Tip

I learned about .org from some really disturbing teenagers when I was young. :D

Report Post Tip
Came to .org from FHM top 100. I reckon it was 2002..

Pretty much the same as the rest. Much reminiscing about no Durdens etc.

The main thing I miss are proper streets. The kind where you only get auth/stay alive by being there. Held accountable by the masses
Report Post Tip

Back in 2017, I started playing this other text-based mafia game. I left it alone for a couple of months and out of the blue, decided to hop back on it. I searched the internet over and over trying to find it, I found a couple of mafia games, but they weren't the one I remembered. I kept searching and then I stumbled upon Mafia Returns.

I made myself an account for the hell of it and started doing jobs for all the crews I saw. I RP'd back and forth with a lot of the sponsors/crew leaders all trying to get me in their crew, I told them all I'd get back to them, but never actually planned to join any crews. I wanted to become a Don all on my own, so I started doing jobs non-stop, then petties non-stop and I died 7 days later.

I made another character and joined the first crew that offered me a spot, I played for a couple of days and hopped on one day to find that I wasn't in a crew anymore. I was pretty confused, but shortly after, someone had messaged me offering me a spot in their crew. We RP'd back and forth for a bit, yadda, yadda and then she sent me an invite and I accepted.

That's pretty much the start of my MR career.

It was back in 2014 and I was working for a company without much to do. I remembered a game i used to play around 2002-2006, it was a maffia game but do not remember what is was called. Don't think it exist anymore. But in search of the game I went out to look for one like it and came here.

I ended up with a family called the Wall Street Crime Syndicate and had a pretty good run but mostly kept to myself. After that I decided to get out more and try RP which was more just a few sentences. I had a few good runs with uppers and with some GF crews, never GF myself.

near the end of 2015 the game took up too much time and each run never made it past a week or two and I made the decision to quit. 

A few months back I just randomly decided to come back, met a few people I knew, still looking for some, and have been enjoying myself ever since :)  

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For Topics Other Than The Game (AKA Outside)
Replying to: Share Your MR Origins Story!
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL