Get Timers Now!
X

May 19 - 15:56:23
Page:  1 2 3 4 [ > - >>> ]
The Tribune: A discussion Started by: Orwell on Feb 10, '08 16:31
Following my frankly hair-brained antics today, I've decided the need for a speaking platform regarding the Mafia Tribune is due.

This week we've seen the 3rd volume of the Tribune hit the stands, contained inside it was,among other things, what I viewed to be slander of a Leader. Furthermore, we've seen a 4 line article from a 'Reporter', and believe me I use that title in it's loosest form. In fact, we've seen only 3 contributions from those with the status reporter, which is fairly dismal really.

I see Trident has delivered two quality pieces this week, no special status for him. A fantastic effort from Spider Pig, although a tad late, still seems to be afforded no extra attention. It seems, however, 4 lines a week will grant you privileged status. Don't try so hard guys, it evidently doesn't pay off.

Augustus Haynes is, in my opinion, only marginally better than our four line Champion. I had hope at first, a delving interview with my beloved leader put me in a delicious mood to begin with, but was followed up by a scathing article about him which was, dare I say it? I do. It was untrue. Not just biased, but untrue. To quote our belligerent reporter, "It's become a sad day, it seems."

And these guys wonder why I have so much disdain for them.

But perhaps my own bias is carrying me far from logic. Are these guys really as bad as I make them out to be? Should I expect more than two small notes per week from the Editor? Should I expect superior, or at least equal, contribution from the Reporters compared to us peons? Am I asking to much to expect an article after a large war? I'm inclined to answer yes to all the above, but perhaps I'm wrong.
Report Post Tip
Ah yes, a bit of animosity towards me I am assuming. Not that I really need to explain myself, but I chose the reporter status over having a rank. And I wasn't really hired to write for the paper, more to help edit, organize, and anything else I choose. I could give many reasons to make myself look better and correct your slander, but I don't feel I need to prove myself to anyone.

I'm always open to people's opinions, and don't let them bother me. Thats all it is, and opinion. As for my quality of work, Riley wouldn't have hired me if I wasn't up to the job. So feel free to bash away, I find it amusing. I will step up, being the better person, and ignore this nonsense.
Report Post Tip
Please, do not think of me as a petty schoolchild. Unless you're into that stuff in which case, by all means do.

My animosity towards you is not animosity of an immature "That is Scarlett Rose, I do not like Scarlett Rose" nature, but more of a "I am not too familiar with Scarlett Rose as a person, and so I will not judge her as a person but as a reporter; and so far she has, in my eyes at least, fallen woefully short of the mark." type of animosity.

Your favourite commie bastard

Orwell.
Report Post Tip

I wasn't really hired to write for the paper, more to help edit, organize, and anything else I choose.

How wonderful for you that you have such a free and undefined job description. But the question must be asked, if RileyFreeman is the editor of the paper and his main priority is to organize and edit the Tribune, which this week consisted of:

One letter from the Editor

One note from the Editor

One note from the semi Editor

Four articles

and Two jokes

What exactly is it that you "choose to do" that warrants you a space on the Newspaper staff? I'd hate to think that such a woman like yourself on the cusp of a revolution for our gender would be warranted a payment and position based on looks alone.
Report Post Tip
Newspaper hate takes up alot of energy, energy that could be used in helping the paper get better. Anyway even with pointless talks about how much the paper sucks, I will keep putting it out. Every issue our crew gets better at our job and soon enough you won't be able to do anything but say "good job on the paper". I bet your really going to hate that day haha.
Report Post Tip
No, I weep for the fact that the Tribune isn't what it once was. I really do.

The day I read the paper and say "Good paper man" is a day I truly look foward too, seriously. I am not consumed by self perpetuating hatred of all things bright and beatiful, but more my love of the Tribune, and my sadness at the fact it isn't what it once was.
Report Post Tip
Thanks for clearing that up. I'm not here to start an argument either. I understand where you are coming from, and appreciate your opinions. It just makes me strive to do a better job I suppose. I haven't been with the paper for very long, and spend most of my time trying to get it ready. But in the future, I may surprise you, and come out with a few great articles. I have been known to write some stellar things in the past.

With that being said, I shall be done with this. Goes to find her school girl outfit.

Okay, I was so kidding with that last one. Don't want anyone bashing me for that too.
Report Post Tip
Ok thanks orwell, we all feel your pain. That just means I'm going to have to work harder and hopefully next issue we will meet your expectations.
Report Post Tip
A four line article is classified as "Getting better at their jobs"?

Jesus. What the hell kind of crap were they doing before?

"Hai eye am a nuspapr report. I reprt nus. I am teh awsum!"
Report Post Tip
Plus, the fact that Riley mentions in just about every paper, that he wants MORE writers. As you read in my thread, he is NOT the head writer. 95% of the articles submitted came from the community.

If you don't like the paper, get off the fence and actually do something about it, instead of hemming and hawing.
Report Post Tip
Augustus, I am clearly not on the fence, I am to the far left of the fence. (Damn Commie Bastards)

That being said, I am actively doing something about it, including, and exceeding, my earlier hair-brained antics which in time you will come to love.
Report Post Tip
Please, do share what you want done in the paper.
Report Post Tip
Letter from the Editor - Riley (Not Community) Not an article

Awards - Spider Pig (Community) Article

A Note from Scarlett - Scarlett (Not Community) Not an article

Rogue - Trident (Community) Article

Haha - Tookie (Community) Not an article

Major News - Haynes (Not Community) Article

Cheating the Godfather - Trident (Community) Not an article

History - General (Community) Article

A Word From Our Reporter - Haynes (Not Community) Not an article

Editor Note - Riley (Not Community) Not an article

So out of the articles written, only 75% of the articles came from the community. I would expect the press to have more integrity when reporting statistics.
Report Post Tip
As much as I would like to put my 2 cents in here, I feel I may lower the tone just a tad. I doubt I can match the articulation of you "Tribune Fanatics". However, I love a good read and the Tribune used to be a great source to quench my thirst for mafia based literacy.

Now we have all established that the Tribune is not what it once was, and Im sure we all agree on that. The question here is what are we going to do about it?

Im not too clear on how the Tribune reporting team works at the moment. Is there a salary the reporters receive that encourages them to report. If not, maybe there should be.

Maybe a new award needs to be added to the list in the MRAG awards: Best article? Im sure creating a little bit of rivalry between the reporters will spur them on to write to their greatest potential. It seems everyone around these parts is determined to prove them selfs.

If anyone else has finished squabling, would they put forward anything useful for the Tribune team to instate?
Report Post Tip
1. Unbiased reporting.

2. Articles that are longer than Ganelon's dick.

3. Original articles, not simply things that have been copied from the streets with 3 lines of "commentary".

4. Less jokes, more substance.

That'll do for starters.
Report Post Tip
Let me rephrase, 95% of the articles COME from the community.

If you looked back on all the papers, you'd see that. Without the community, there would be hardly anything to write about.

It might be best to actually contribute to the paper before you start slamming it's staff on having a small amount of material than it used to. Even back in the late Three's family, she would submit two articles from their family. So instead of complaining about the paper, why don't you take a little less time focusing on contests and help out with the paper? This isn't charity work, you get paid for good articles. What more do you need? The reporters can't come up with everything themselves; they need support, just like RileyFreeman.
Report Post Tip
I remember a time when the discussions about the paper were not of how much it sucked but of how much there was to it. How informative it was. The Tribune has gone through a few editors now and so far from what I've seen? This is the least amount of effort one has put into it... At the same time this is the first time there has been as much special treatment for the paper and the people who "write" for it. Special suits were not the norm back in the days when the paper first started up. Reporters were treated like the rest of us. The only person that was protected was the editor.

Yes, we are all at fault for this as we could be writing for the Tribune. Sadly, there are many accomplished writers that sit back and read the sporadic issues that come out with apathy not wanting their hard work paired up with the shit that currently covers the pages of the Tribune. Why would we want to be involved in a paper where the editor is barely around other than to act like a big kid on the playground of life? Where's the inspiration? Where's the encouragement to keep doing work for the paper?

Riley, get your head out of your ass. Please. You are not the biggest kid around here you know. There are people that would LOVE to write for a newspaper but cannot stand you or what you stand for, let alone what you have dragged the Tribune down to. You haven't done squat since you took over the Tribune. Don't act like you have. If you had, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Here's to hoping that this inspires a group of people to get together and provide a second or even third paper that can bring the real news to the Streets.

Maybe the new school needs to be taught a lesson by the old school.

She smiles sweetly and saunters down the Street looking for a stationary store.
Report Post Tip
I'm actually glad because bad press is better than no press at all. Hopefully this will get more people writing, I'm not sure if any of you were tuned in but I went off to school. (ooc) Lost my whole staff and thats when the paper got bad. Still trying to get everything back together and I'm sure we will.
Report Post Tip
My family line including myself have been regular contributors of the paper. I had a rather interesting expose in your last edition, Mr. Haynes. Perhaps you should look back through your own papers before making ignorant comments.
Report Post Tip
Actually, yes that is a great idea. Lets hear your thoughts. What is it exactly, that you see in the paper's future? Or more, what do you want to see? Instead of everyone complaining, lets discuss it.

And Ms. McConnell, I would agree that us women need to make a place for ourselves in this world. I would hope that I was not hired on my looks alone, but for my quality of work. And I actually work for free by choice. I have only been with the paper a short while, a week actually, but I seem to be getting a lot of the issues from the past put on me.

As I said before, I appreciate all your opinions, and it only encourages me to work harder. I definitely agree that us as paper staff, should put in more articles. That is something I would like to work on. And many of the so called excellent articles you see, are only good because I edited them to look good. I'm not putting down anyone that sends them to us, as we are glad to use what you send.

As I said above, lets stop all the arguing and resolve it. Petty arguments never help anything, only make the issue worse.
Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: The Tribune: A discussion
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL