Get Timers Now!
X

May 16 - 06:52:08
Page:  1 2 3 [ > - >>> ]
Do You DuoLingo? Started by: Ennio_Morricone on Jul 08, '20 17:28

Anyone using the app at least half the days of the week? I'm struggling to keep a few days in a row. DuoLingo has changed and updated itself. I was doing Spanish a few years back while visiting in Spain. I was so proud when I made an order in Spanish. Nowadays, they even have podcasts which they say helps to hear a native speaker.

This month... I'm learning French.  Mais Oui.

My Dad always said to date a girl to learn the language, but I don't think my wife would like that much. Mais Non.

Report Post Tip

What has been your experience?

Are you learning a language now?

Report Post Tip
I am not fluent but I learned some German in 3rd and 4th grade when my dad was stationed there. German is a pretty cool sounding language.
My ex MIL was pure Italian and would often try to teach me but I was too busy doing other things lol.
And now since I’ve returned to Texas I pick up some Spanish on occasion.

But all in all I would love to speak fluently in all 3
Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

I've used it before and enjoyed it but got too busy, would like to return. Though I also feel I'd benefit more from having conversations with native speakers as I learn better that way.

Report Post Tip
I used to use duo to help keep the 3 languages I know fresh. When you dont practice different words get all mixed up and it's a lil embarassing
Report Post Tip

I watched every series of gomorrah with subtitles & afterwards thought I could speak Italian. I was very wrong. More power to anyone who is multilingual. I am just horrible &/or too lazy to learn another language.

Report Post Tip

It seems like a good skill to have!

Report Post Tip

Short answer, no. Would I like to? Hell yes

Report Post Tip

I personally find Duolingo repetitive to the point of boredom. I prefer Busuu due to how you can get feedback from native speakers if you want, but sadly I don't have money to reload my visa and pay for it due to our current circumstances. Tried learning more German on Busuu and it was pretty good.

I think all of these apps are better as supplements anyway since I think reading pdf's of actual textbooks helped me more than the apps ever could. 

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

i think its okey just to get some very basics starting. overall i think its pretty bad though

Report Post Tip

I did try learning a few languages from the app Like Japanese, Chinese, Turkish, etc.

Gave up lol

But it did help in learning some Korean words (while I can read and write it already). Not sure how useful it will be in real life tho

Report Post Tip

I'm hopeless at learning new languages but that app sounds like a good one

Report Post Tip

Yup, currently learning French!

Report Post Tip

I used to duo lingo to learn Italian. Since I already know French, I wanted to learn other Latin-based languages.

Report Post Tip

Been using it for a bit, but more like in periods. I find some language that I find interesting, keep up the streak of going in and taking a few lessons before I forget about it completely and give up. It’s great for boredom however.

Report Post Tip

I think as someone said, it's a starting point. True effort will need to be invested in some other venues or in person.

Report Post Tip

I've tried over the years and it certainly can be a very good help. but as said above, you do need to have that practical experience and practise of speaking it face to face with someone to really hang on to any progress you've made.

Report Post Tip
I’ve heard of the program! It sounds like it could be neat! People using it, do you found it easy to use? I took German in high school but I’ve gotten rusty…. Probably should brush up on the Spanish skills too…. Might have to check that out for myself. I’ve known a couple friends who were using it and they love it. But meh adding one more thing to add to the schedule…. We’ll see. It could be fun!
Report Post Tip

Although I don't use them now and haven't for years, once upon a time I did to learn even the basics before traveling so at least can say hi, where is, how much, etc, so never for fluency, more for enough to get around.   I found them helpful as well as sites like polishpod101 and its old similar sites to give enough of a basic knowledge. but found phrases easy of it, but parts of my vocab were poor

Report Post Tip
It’s definitely very easy to use and I think easy to stay motivated to use too.
I just run out of time in the days but used to try and just get half hour an evening on there and definitely helped a lot.
Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For Topics Other Than The Game (AKA Outside)
Replying to: Do You DuoLingo?
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL