Get Timers Now!
X

Apr 27 - 04:39:21
Page: [ <<< - < ] 1 2 3 4 5 [ > - >>> ]
Chess Started by: Herbert on Feb 28, '21 15:59
As things are, lockdowns and what nots, put your kids learning chess, work their minds, I think lack of smart ppl gonna be a real problem in the future...
Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

Cossack maybe you are right and I just need to keep playing more games. If I don't learn the reason why to play a certain way however I wont understand the game. I think you need a combination of study and play to continue to improve. 

Report Post Tip

Played today and feel like I am getting a bit better regardless of ELO. I'm understanding the attack better, when to attack and how to do it. Early board control has been going better. 

Report Post Tip

Cossack maybe you are right and I just need to keep playing more games. If I don't learn the reason why to play a certain way however I wont understand the game. I think you need a combination of study and play to continue to improve. 

Herbert, I don't know anyone who has started playing chess that started reading books about different openings. We/they all started our chess journey by just playing and find the joy and our flow before going deeper into the tunnel.  

Report Post Tip

STILL DO'', me and my brother play it faithfuly  one night a week and party, stoned.and drunken stuper, you feel it the next day.

Report Post Tip

I have played chess since i was a large boy. Learned the basic game back then and played with my cousin and brother. I really like how there is no luck or randomness in chess only pure tactic and skill. 

Sadly i havent played for atleast ten years now.

Report Post Tip

https://www.chess.com/a/2jmV6CG6J25y6e

Maybe my best game so far. Had an IM give me some breakdowns after this game and caught taught about "checks, captures, and attacks". Quite a few more things as well, like pawn storming and structure but CCA is the most important. 

If you're unfamiliar its a basic principle of chess. When it's your turn you must first see what checks you have on your opponent and what checks your opponent will have on you, followed by what you can capture and then finally what attacking moves you can make. Then make the best forcing move in order to create a position you like.

Report Post Tip
I havent played in ages but as a kid it was huge at daycare. I figured after queens of gambit was released chess would blow up... especially since there's also a pandemic
Report Post Tip
I’m not real great at chess. I don’t have a very strategic mind at all! But my 8 year old is really enjoying it! They have a chess club at his school that he’s really enjoying!
Report Post Tip

I have played on and off for years in the chess.com app. Every now and then something makes chess popular again and main stream so I have friends telling me to play them because they think watching a show somehow makes them a good chess player. So of course I have to school them three or four games in a row before they say they don't want to play anymore or they are bored. I usually just play friends though, I'm not interested in playing randoms

Report Post Tip
When i was young i played chess a lot with my brothers and we always tried to win with as fewest moves as posipole.
There was a lot of games that was over before i had a chance in the begining but i got better at it
Report Post Tips: 3 / Total: $60,000 Tip
I am up for a game with anyone, just give me a message and can sort something out! I'm not high level but know how to play!
Report Post Tip

I've played chess from 4th grade all the way to 8th grade, taking part in a few local competitions. Now I play chess very rarely, mostly out of boredom if the chance is given.

Report Post Tip

Now it's being a bit I don't play, but hey, if you still wanna do some tournament, or just arranging some games between MR player, I'd happy play some matches. Uhm, maybe friendly and not ranked, ok? :P

Report Post Tip

I've been taking a break from the game lately while I am into some other things. Try to play a game or two every lunch break though at least. I think I'm improving from just more games under my belt.

Report Post Tip

I was taught to play Chess by my Grandad and used to play him everytime I visited. Sadly, he's not with us anymore but I still remember a lot of the things I learnt - I'm so rusty though!

I have to admit, I watched Queens Gambit and it totally gave me the bug for it again. I'm currently reading a book (Bobby Fischer Teaches Chess) at the moment so I can start at the beginning and build up again. I'm really enjoying this book so far, if anyone's looking for somewhere to start and needs a recommendation. 

Report Post Tips: 2 / Total: $40,000 Tip

Always interested me, and even before the show I started playing. I do well with playing on logics and intuition but I lack the theory, strategy to improve. So I need to start studying it. When I start playing 900+ players I start getting beaten.

Wanna play a game?

Report Post Tip

I've been having a lot more fun with the game lately and feel like I am playing better. It's all about the repetition so you get those patterns. 

Report Post Tip

Hell yea Herbert . I've been using London on white and Kings Indian on black and seeing the different ways people play against them in very interesting. I notice when I take a few days off I manage to blunder pieces easier so I think the key is consistency. 

Report Post Tip

I wish I'd spent more time playing chess when I was a kid instead of pussing about doing anything.  I seem to have a fairly simplistic view of the board and get beaten quite easily!

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

This Forum Is For Topics Other Than The Game (AKA Outside)
Replying to: Chess
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL