Get Timers Now!
X

May 07 - 21:31:37
Game Suggestions
1 Watchers
Page:  1 
Business District Properties Started by: Mike on Jan 14, '22 01:37

We had a bit of discussion in #main, courtesy of ReidRowden, about player-owned properties that I aptly named Business District Properties, or, BDP. So here it is. 

Concept
Tied to a Business District thread in their respective cities, BDPs generate passive profit for their owner similar to DFPs. Unlike DFPs, however, the profit from BDPs do not generate from other players buying and selling drugs -- but through activity in those threads. Include a 'Burn Down the Business' option that wacks the thread, effectively closing up the Business. 

Problem 1
As the profit is tied to activity, would that create sub-par roleplay on those threads? Maybe. Could that possibly increase the work of sweepers and all else who deal with the forum infraction? Likely. 

Solution 1
Make BDP owners (Thread OP) responsible for the business itself. In turn, grant them moderation power to suppress posts in their own threads, and an auto-report that comes with that suppress that takes the issue to sweepers/admins/whatevs. 

Problem 2
Some people put great effort in their Business District threads. Is "Burn down the business" / "wack-a-thread" necessary? Wouldn't that make people stop roleplaying on forums? Would that kill activity? After all, this is a text based roleplay game. 

Solution 2
Yes, it could destroy the motivation of some. But so does the WACK!, and we still have that. Let Cities, Districts, and players police the issue, similar to normal and BG Wacks. Further, make "Burn down the business" rank, unit, or time played limited. Alternatively, you can also create requirements where if you haven't roleplayed on forums, you can't burn stuff down.

Addendum 1
Make it visual! Have the city represented in grids, allow people to buy the plots for their Business threads. 

Addendum 2
Make control of certain areas by certain crews possible for additional perks. Tied to activity of individual threads, if 5 Businesses are active in Area 7, for example, give the crew an additional 10% chance to perk up when busting people out, similar to KOH. 

So yeah. Lets /discuss. 

Report Post Tips: 4 / Total: $1,060,000 Tip

I am happy to have sparked the idea

Report Post Tips: 2 / Total: $100,000 Tip
I invested in the idea
Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

My suggestion with 'Burning Down' a business...

Furthermore you could have it be an OC. Make it maybe only startable by Consigliere and above and require 3 others? This way people will need to actually REALLY want to burn down a business. Then if it succeeds the profits not collected are split between the group...

Which brings me to profits... maybe its only collectable once a week? This way it increases the chance there actually are profits to collect and split. Hell maybe even have when this collection semi visible (i.e. collected: less than a day ago... collected: over a week ago...)

Finally, have it stealthable and weighted with maybe a low % it succeeds and a med/high chance you stealth. 

Report Post Tips: 2 / Total: $40,000 Tip

Further... If the business owner is on and active and they catch the fire (no alert... they simply need to check up on their business) within the first 5 minutes it was started (on a successful attempt) they can 'call the fire department' and it 'defends' from the OC... if it was stealth (success can be either stealth or non) it stays stealth... BUT the owner can feel free to check locals and maybe get an idea of who did it

Report Post Tip

There have been several suggestions like this over the years, most meeting a look warm response from the user base:

https://mafiareturns.com/comm/thread/84366#35204719

https://mafiareturns.com/comm/thread/706833#277761336

https://mafiareturns.com/comm/thread/893946#13805559

Thats 3 just for starters.

Personally I'm all for revamping the BD, long time advocate for giving more co trol to the owners, former owners and the GFs 

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

Game Suggestions
Replying to: Business District Properties
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL