Get Timers Now!
X

Mar 28 - 22:56:44
Page:  1 
ChatGPT - Is This Thing of Ours In Trouble? Started by: Pickpocket on Apr 17, '23 17:31

I offered ChatGPT 12 words, in return it gave me 407, with a little encouragement it could've been much more.

https://imgur.com/a/D2sjod3

If you're unfamiliar with ChatGPT it's own description is the following; "I am ChatGPT, a large language model created by OpenAI. I am based on the GPT (Generative Pre-trained Transformer) architecture and trained on a vast amount of data to understand human language and generate responses to a wide range of prompts. I can perform various language tasks, such as answering questions, generating text, summarizing articles, and translating languages. My purpose is to provide a helpful and informative conversation to users like you."

I get the feeling that this tool is beginning to creep in ever so slightly to the game, it could just be me being paranoid but there has always been an element of the community that will try to game the system. In this case it could be forum activity, manipulating credit awards and lottery percentages that can all have an impact in influencing the overall gameplay.

In very little time I could feasibly create multiple threads in the streets or business district and take the XP, tips and plaudits as well as the above mentioned awards, it's very concerning, whilst I don't have an answer and I don't expect the administration to be able to combat this it is more of a plea to the community not to abuse the very nature of the game.

Granted we're click monkeys, playing a text based RPG, but the threat of this encroaching on the core of the game is very real to me and should be to you also.

Plagiarising the work of AI consistently is going to damage the mechanics of the game and ruin it for the community, most of us are adults and I ask that you please think twice before abusing it.

Me: set a scene of a mobster entering a speakeasy in New Orleans

AI: The streets of New Orleans were dark and damp on this particular evening, with the misty fog rolling in from the nearby bayou. As the sound of a distant jazz band filled the air, a tall, broad-shouldered man with a fedora hat pulled down low over his eyes approached a discreet-looking establishment on the corner of Bourbon Street.

The sign above the door simply read "The Snake Pit," but anyone in the know would recognize it as one of the city's most popular speakeasies. The mobster didn't bother knocking, instead simply pushing open the heavy wooden door and stepping inside.

The interior of the speakeasy was dimly lit, with candles flickering on small tables scattered throughout the room. The air was thick with smoke from cigarettes and cigars, and the sound of lively conversation and clinking glasses filled the space.

As the mobster made his way to the bar, he caught the eye of several patrons who quickly looked away, recognizing him as a member of the notorious crime family that controlled much of the city's illegal activity.

The bartender, a gruff-looking man with a pencil mustache, nodded in greeting as the mobster took a seat on one of the stools. "What can I get for you, boss?" he asked. The mobster leaned in close, his voice low and menacing. "I'm here to see Sal," he said. "And I don't want any trouble."

The bartender nodded again and disappeared into the back room, returning a few moments later with Sal, a slick-looking man in a pinstripe suit and fedora hat. The two men exchanged a nod, and the mobster followed Sal into the back room for their meeting.

As the door closed behind them, the sound of raucous laughter and clinking glasses faded away, replaced by the low murmur of their conversation. The mobster knew that he had to tread carefully - Sal was a shrewd businessman, and any misstep could cost him dearly. But he also knew that the rewards of their partnership were worth the risk.

As they talked, the mobster couldn't help but glance over his shoulder at the heavy wooden door, wondering if anyone outside knew what was going on behind closed doors. But he quickly shook off his paranoia and focused on the matter at hand - after all, in the world of New Orleans organized crime, trust was hard to come by, and every move had to be calculated with precision.

Report Post Tips: 5 / Total: $100,000 Tip

I understand your concerns about the potential abuse of ChatGPT and the negative impact it could have on the gameplay experience for the community. However, I believe that the responsibility ultimately falls on the individual users to use ChatGPT ethically and not to exploit its capabilities for personal gain.

Furthermore, it's important to recognize that ChatGPT is simply a tool that can be used for a variety of purposes, including generating text for forums and threads. It's up to the community to determine how they want to interact with ChatGPT and what role it should play in the gameplay experience.

Ultimately, the success of the game depends on the integrity and ethical behaviour of its users. If individuals choose to abuse ChatGPT for personal gain, it will inevitably harm the overall gameplay experience and potentially drive away other players. It's important for the community to be mindful of these issues and work together to ensure that the game remains fun and enjoyable for everyone involved.

(Yes this response was written by ChatGPT)

To play devils advocate here I am going to put forward the view that the streets & forums are currently (Much like the rest of the game) dead. The current number 1 VIP poster has 1 thread & 7 posts, which is a pretty sad state of affairs. I would sooner see ChatGPT church out content like your example above Vs have nothing new to read or incomprehensible gibberish like the "Job" posted in my profile.

Report Post Tips: 2 / Total: $40,000 Tip

As a joke for a thread I asked it to write Systematic Immolation of Thought 2 , where I worked it in as being the work of a ghost-writer I hired in search of a replacement for the great poet WhereWasI: https://imgur.com/BivP0MG.

Of course Jub was DISGUSTED with the result.

This was actually the second attempt, the first time it just summarised the contents of SIoT (with absolutely shocking accuracy imo, given that most people struggle to make out what SIoT is trying to say due to the confusing way it's written): https://i.imgur.com/jZqzHEa.png

On some fundamental level these chatbots scare me. I fear that this shit will result in very believable fake content which will only grow worse when multiple of these generative services are combined (remember those TTS engines which could be configured by just feeding it a few voice-samples, which people used to make videogame-characters say all kinds of wacky stuff a month or so ago?). I also fear that, if we see mass adoption of this stuff by bots/spammers/scammers, that it will pave the way for the destruction of anonymity on the internet as we know it just so that we're able to distinguish what comes from a real person, and what isn't.

Or maybe I've read a few too many dystopian fiction books, I don't know.

Report Post Tip

The thing is though that if people start using this to game the system then I suspect the feature in game will just be removed. It would be a shame if greed and laziness ruined it for those who actually do enjoy writing, but isn't that how it always goes? 

Although I don't think anyone whos won the lottery has done it off only VIP tickets given to them alone. 

Report Post Tip

I say don't worry about it!

Before ChatGPT, there's been Wattpad and other roleplay sites that people can copy from but I'd like to think we've all been on our best behaviour. In the long time that I've been playing, I can probably count the people outed for plagiarism on one hand... or two.

Anyways, that's why collaborative roleplays are so important and should be encouraged more. When you're writing with a real person, you gotta reply back to their responses and it just seems like unnecessary effort to keep asking ChatGPT each time to generate your replies. It's more fun to write using your own imagination.

With that being said, I think ChatGPT is a great feature also that people can use for inspiration and writing prompts. Writers block no more.

Report Post Tip

I tried a different one for the first time the other day and it scared the shit out of me! Nothing game related (in the right forum at least!) but was looking for ideas to send to someone I love. It honestly is a bit too scary good they would so know that I hadn't vome up with it it was that good. It's going to destroy relationships I tell you!

Report Post Tip

I have given some insights into this before on an outside thread:

https://mafiareturns.com/comm/thread/1849379#30058593

It's a bit of a double edged sword to be honest.  Personally, I don't see any problems with using chat-bots to give yourself an idea, to do some very basic scene setting or generate some very basic ideas which you can then expand and elaborate on.  Emphasis on expand and elaborate here.

We have to consider that not everyone has a vivid imagination and, moreover, will require some prompting in order to come up with ideas, myself included from time to time. 

If you think about it critically, you will realise that ALL of our favourite artists, musicians, game developers or writers will list a number of people that they take "inspiration" from in order to help themselves more vividly represent exactly what it is that they are trying to express. 

Like I said in the aforementioned thread, Mozart would not have been Mozart if he had not taken inspiration from his contemporaries much like a lot of the bands that are around these days would not have the same sound had they not taken inspiration from their influences and contemporaries.  Artistic expression has ALWAYS embraced what has been done previously and has elaborated and incorporated it into its own unique sound, art, game, novel etc etc.  It is important to remember that by directly copying however, you land yourself in court and there are consequences to be had, unless you are Jimmy Page or Ed Sheeran of course!

The problem arises when people just copy and paste directly from said chatbot, this is where it becomes plagiarism and I have seen a couple examples recently that, while I cannot prove anything, are evidently just cut and paste jobs in my opinion.  This is obviously extremely hard to police and will only get harder moving forward as the chatbots and, more generically AI as a whole, improves and develops (which it will, I would posit quicker than we all think it will; SKYNET is waiting in the wings guys, be afraid, be VERY afraid).  

So, you are left with a kind of catch 22 situation I guess.  One of the biggest gripes around these parts is the age old "THE FORUMS ARE DEAD" or "NOBODY POSTS ANYTHING" or "THEIR POSTS ARE ALL THE SAME" argument and by removing the mechanism whereby people can gain experience by posting you are only going to stifle the creativity that does exist by an increased factor, in effect killing off the last little bits of interaction on the forums that are left in the game. 

On the flip side, if you do not have a clearly defined set of rules (which incidentally have been covered in some detail by Jen here - https://mafiareturns.com/comm/thread/1740417#27058769) then the system is left open to abuse.  It's a fine line between what is plagiarism and what is not but I would posit that in the vast majority of cases, especially if the user is active both in game and on lounge, it is quite easy to tell what is plagiarised and what is not.  Ergo, if one is a gibbering buffoon with a very limited grasp of the English language in the lounge, it is highly unlikely that one is going to be expertly eloquent in the forums and I would hope that it would become quickly evident to the sweepers that some kind of witch-craft was afoot, leading to some covert sweeping and/or jailing. 

A good example of acceptable use, in a real world situation would be thus:

I am completing a teaching qualification and I do not want to trawl the internet for citations and information for hours on end.  I have found chatGPT incredibly useful in trawling for examples and information that I can then use to, and this is the important bit, write my OWN interpretation of in order to answer the questions that are being posed of me.  Although it would be incredibly easy for me to just cut and paste that which has been vomited out at me, in the act of doing so I assume the following:

1. It is lazy and I fucking hate laziness.
  2. It is morally wrong and I like to think I have at least some morals.
  3. I will not learn ANYTHING by doing so.
  4. It will not necessarily be written in my style and, if I do come to write some of my own answers they may well raise red flags as the grammar and style is wildly different. 
  5. Eventually, if it becomes the norm, it will lead to a stupification (is this even a word? If not, it should be) of the human race, a bad thing IMO, the human race is stupid enough as is already.

So, in conclusion Pickpocket, while I wholeheartedly agree with a lot of what you are saying here, there are elements that we are going to have differing views on.  I would rather see engagement in the forums, be it completely original, user generated contents or be it content which is user generated where the user has used all the tools at his or her disposal to come up with the content.  With regards to cut and paste jobs though, I think we are on the same page there. 

~KK 

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

This Forum Is For Non RP Talk About The Game (AKA OOC)
Replying to: ChatGPT - Is This Thing of Ours In Trouble?
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL