Get Timers Now!
X

May 04 - 03:24:11
Page:  1 2 3 [ > - >>> ]
Reading a book or listening to the audio of a book? Started by: Sofeleye on Nov 02, '23 01:13

I really don't mind either one, sometimes when I read a book I can feel more of a understanding

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

I find I retain information better if I do both. Sounds strange but I listen to the audiobook and follow along with the book. Since doing that my memory on what I read have improved.

Report Post Tip
I love reading a,book I can imagine the characters and their looks if I listen to a audio book chancesxare I may end up falling asleep. How long doesn't his need to be to be considered appropriate length?
Report Post Tip

I prefer reading a book as opposed to listening to it. If I don’t understand a passage I can always go back easier than rewinding to find the spot I need repeated. 

Prefer doing audio so I can get stuff done at same time, currently on the third game of thrones book definitely suggest it if you liked the series.
Report Post Tip
I prefer to Read a book on the train etc, but audiobooks are better when trying to get to sleep - so long as the narrator doesn’t have a harsh accent - nice boring history one normally does the job
Ive never tried listening to an audio recording of a book. Tbh my wife reads to the kids at night and i often struggle to follow the story so think im better at sticking to reading for myself lol.
Report Post Tip

Reading of course. And also reading the ACTUAL physical book and not some e book or pdf shit online. It will never be the same thing than touching a book, smelling a book... its just amazing.

Report Post Tip

Audiobooks don't click with me, I greatly prefer reading. One thing I like about normal reading is that you can just stop at any point and think/reflect for a moment. Nothing is hurrying you along, you can just pause for a couple of seconds to digest what you've read. If you feel like you missed something in the last page, you can easily just go back to the start of it. If you want to double-check something from 100 pages ago, you can take a break and do so within seconds.

I find this impossible to do smoothly with audio books.

Gillian I also very much prefer physical books as opposed to ebooks / a tablet or whatever, though I find that one more difficult to pin down / explain.

Report Post Tip
I do prefer reading a books but find I can listen to one in more situations like walking or at work, so listen to lots too
Report Post Tip

I haven't read a book in what feels like forever. I used to be a huuuuuge bookworm. If I were to get back into books though, I'd definitely prefer reading them myself. I have a hard time trying to comprehend spoken words sometimes without subtitles, so it'd just be a bunch of repeating things over and over unless I was reading along :P

Report Post Tip

Need to read the book. I've tried audio books, but a lot of voices don't scratch my ear the right way, and the cadence of reading feels off a lot of times. Also, audiobooks are way too fucking costly.

Report Post Tip

Honesty if you have Spotify premium they've just added books to it. Which may get me back into listening to them, at least while I'm working. 

Report Post Tip

Georgette

Thanks for the info. I can get the appeal for listening to them when you're doing something else. Might be the only arguing point to get me to try them. But other than that, reading a book feels more... lively? Like, I can picture the stuff in my head better when I read vs. listening.

Report Post Tip

Oh yeah I 100% will still read while commuting or at home, but at work when trying to block out office noise? Might try that instead of Music for a bit, since I can listen at 2x speed and get through a book a week while in. 

And if I stick to autobiographies or history then there won't be accents and such, so easier to tune out slightly if I need to focus more on work things. 

Ps. the only audio book I would suggest over a physical book is World War Z. 

Report Post Tip

I usually like more reading. I feel the audio of books and stuff it's usually too slow, and read with too much emphasis.

Report Post Tip
I would love to read the book for sure, but lately I have been listening to many things, like recaps or revision for a book or a story it's little helping when I want to sleep or something like that
Report Post Tip
I’ve been listening to audiobooks for years now. I still remember the first time I listen to a book on tape. The book was seized the night by Dean Koontz. This book he brought to life Christopher Snow what a great book.
Report Post Tip
Depends on my mood honestly. If I have time to just sit and read then I’d rather have either the paper book or a book on my phone. But if I need to do something else that is just busy work then an audio book is great too! I love the fact that it’s kind of like listening to a movie. I don’t really feel like I get more from it one way than the other…. I can get equally immersed. One thing though, I haven’t really tried doing that with a non fiction book so who knows…
Report Post Tip

I really want to go into listening them audio books, but I have a feeling that I will not retain any information at all, am I the only one? I have a feeling I will listen for 2 hours and then figure out I zoned out hours ago, am I the only one? Any tips?

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For Topics Other Than The Game (AKA Outside)
Replying to: Reading a book or listening to the audio of a book?
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL