Get Timers Now!
X

Apr 28 - 17:23:17
Game Suggestions
8 Watchers
Page:  1 2 3 [ > - >>> ]
Distance Matters, but why?? Started by: Goblin on Dec 05, '23 13:01

Once again I find myself arguing against a feature that simply does not make sense. Lets us take a trip down memory lane and revisit the original distance post and what purpose it served/how it worked. 

The further you are away from your home city, the less your rank is recognized and therefor, the less effective their gun/defense is the further away from their home city they are.

The closer you are to your home city, the more your rank is recognized, and therefor, the more effective your gun/defense is.

Your gun and defense is at its best in your home city, followed by sister city, followed by any other city in order of distance.

Example, a Philly attacker will have an easier time picking off a NY target rather than an LA target.

As an existing CL, moving your HQ into a different home city, your modifier will slowly ramp up to your new city's location over the course of 7 days, as it degrades form your old city.

Example: You move from LA to Philly, after day 1, you have 6/7th of your LA modifier, and 1/7th of your Philly modifier.  Day 2, 5/7th LA and 2/7th Philly.  This continues until the end of day 7 when you are now fully Philly.  This will slow down the "Swoop in with a moved HQ to kill off other cities"

This affects only player on player, it does not kick in for IA players or NPCs.

It is our hopes that this will balance all the cities a little more and provide a safety net for those who maintain a distance from each other.

Few things here that do not make sense firstly, how is it my rank is not recognized across the country? If I am committing arson, murder and jail breaks without repercussions , then surely my rank as a mobster must be recognized.  In fact once you become proficient at some of these crimes the local pd tend to leave you alone,  clear example of my status/skillset being held into regard. 

Secondly I'm completely unsure how any of the cities were unbalanced in the first place when it came to shooting/defending. To my knowledge that was not a thing you had the same equiv in PH as you did in LA. Only the GFC at the time benefited from being in his/her city. Same with your gun. 

Yesterday Izzy and some of us had some words on Main i will be posting bits of that convo in reference to how silly the distance feature is. 

05:27 <&IzzyCreamcheese> the solution to it all, is close the holes
05:27 <&IzzyCreamcheese> you can buy an hq once every 30 days, end of
05:27 <National[MR]> I think just as reference to waring since. A lot of shots that would have been previously made. Are not. So the assumption is the math on distance is massive and that's the reason. 
05:27 <&IzzyCreamcheese> National[MR] aye, because people are not using the math

There is no math posted on any Distance thread, you gave us an example. To say people are not using the math we used prior to distance is the biggest fuck you to the players who build. Do you truly believe people who have been killing others on here for almost 15 years do not know how to calculate a gun pre distance? 

<&IzzyCreamcheese> 0-95 defense = 3% failure rate (wackback being 3%)
05:21 <&IzzyCreamcheese> 96 = 4% failure rate
05:21 <&IzzyCreamcheese> 97 = 5% failure rate
05:21 <&IzzyCreamcheese> 98 = 6% failure rate
05:21 <&IzzyCreamcheese> 99 = 7% failure rate
05:21 <&IzzyCreamcheese> 100 = 8% failure rate
05:21 <&IzzyCreamcheese> 101 = 8.5% failure rate
05:21 <&IzzyCreamcheese> 102 = 9% failure rate
05:21 <&IzzyCreamcheese> 103 = 9.5% failure rate
05:21 <&IzzyCreamcheese> 103+ = .5% for every 1

We have Forts, Bgs, Rank Boost, LHM boost, CL boost, CL loyalty boost ,GF boost, GFC Loyalty boost , Insta Bg's, Hustle defense and an invisible blanket across the country(distance) that makes one side weaker when attacking the other in there home city. Keep in mind you do not pay for this protection, You don't need to rank up, You do not need to be a good leader or crew member, you don't even really need to play the only requirement is to be active once in a while.  

Now why was distance implemented you may ask? Do not worry I did as well. 

<Goblin[MR]> Every player has a blanket of protection from the players across the country. 
05:36 <Goblin[MR]> Why?
05:36 <&IzzyCreamcheese> because scorched earth gets old after you die the 6th time for a cl that doenst know your name because you happen to be in that city
05:37 <&IzzyCreamcheese> so if there are people who play in a style you dont like, in a way you dont like, in a group you dont like
05:37 <&IzzyCreamcheese> restart on the other side of the country
05:37 <&IzzyCreamcheese> be less of a threat
05:38 <Goblin[MR]> So you made a change for the whole community because a regime that hardly plays was doing scummy shit? 
05:38 <&IzzyCreamcheese> no 

The full scorched earth policy has only been done by one regime since iv been playing here. I don't know another regime that full wipes the game on a monthly quota and even then its been years.  You say this is not why it was changed but I do not see another logistical reason being you mentioned scorch earth. 

That being said its completely absurd to tell your player base whom has been playing and building well over 10 years that they do not know how to math, When most of the complaints did not start until distance. It does nothing but cause confusion. This is not something I think needs a replacement but rather should be removed completely you already have features in place to make it difficult to kill someone. You even said so yourself. 

05:33 <&IzzyCreamcheese> but you gotta roll a 90 or less basically if you are shooting at a maxed d character
05:33 <&IzzyCreamcheese> doenst matter if they have a billion bgs, or you have a billion kills
05:33 <&IzzyCreamcheese> max d is a bitch to hit

It surprises me that no one has spoken up about this but so many of us complain on main, truthfully it is our fault for not speaking up.  Izzy is aware majority of the game do no want it, the issue is no one speaks up properly. If you guys are going to complain on Discord, WA and IRC why not do it here.  I look forward to seeing your opinions on this. 

Report Post Tips: 7 / Total: $270,000 Tip

TLDR - Thinly veiled 'I am mad because my boy Nicklin was the worst rogue in history.'

Report Post Tip

Sergio. I was present for this conversation. Has nothing to do with Nicklin nor him missing. I hardly know him. I'm glad you commented though lets me know your still a fucking retard. 

05:14 <Polio[MR]> Why did I miss twice? shit gun? lol
05:14 <&IzzyCreamcheese> BerZerk[MR] its hella bigger than 1%
05:14 <&IzzyCreamcheese> Polio[MR] no, you rolled poorly twice

Report Post Tip

FWIW, there's also been way too many weird misses with huge guns to not think there's a bug in the math also.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, as long as distance matters exists, there is no point to CH/DT. 

Report Post Tip
All fair comments....but whats the actual suggestion?
Report Post Tip

To completely remove it. 

"This is not something I think needs a replacement but rather should be removed completely you already have features in place to make it difficult to kill someone."

Report Post Tips: 2 / Total: $40,000 Tip

If it is going to stay in place, better transparency around what the rules are and some sort of way to test without it being directly on other players.  Durdens are supposed to be the way to 'test' your gun, but with these rules there is no accurate way of doing it anymore.  Possibly Durdens that spawn from a specific location that hold all player rules?

Personally, I still think there's something there with some sort of 'raid' mechanic crews could opt into.

Report Post Tip

FWIW, there's also been way too many weird misses with huge guns to not think there's a bug in the math also.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, as long as distance matters exists, there is no point to CH/DT. 

It is as if distance has something to do with it. Instead yesterday we were told in main Max Defense is having a bigger impact than distance, when people have been max defense years prior to distance and the misses have not been nearly as absurd. Suddenly everyone started having bad luck.   

Report Post Tip

To completely remove it. 

"This is not something I think needs a replacement but rather should be removed completely you already have features in place to make it difficult to kill someone."

I just think asking to remove something with no counter balance in place is probs a no starter. even if i agree with you, i think for this to gain any substance, you're probably going to need to counter the feature with an alternative. 

Report Post Tip

Instead yesterday we were told in main Max Defense is having a bigger impact than distance

Having tested overcapped defense on quite a few players, I don't believe this is true.

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

I just think asking to remove something with no counter balance in place is probs a no starter. even if i agree with you, i think for this to gain any substance, you're probably going to need to counter the feature with an alternative. 

Distance was the counter balance , to regimes whom did not wish to let the game grow. Something we hardly see these days. At what point do we stop running in circles and say this is bullshit why is it here? 

Report Post Tip

Having tested overcapped defense on quite a few players, I don't believe this is true.

Neither do I but I am being told otherwise by the only person who knows the math.

Report Post Tip

I honestly dont hate the idea of distance math. I like it adds another dynamic, would i like a better understand of it, of course. But there is plenty of math here thats guess work.

One thing you have not mentioned in stat(s) is taper. You can guess your taper point (if you're in it or not) with the top 3 durd kills. etc etc..but the reason i stick on that point is this;

How about instead of just saying get rid and offering no counter to it. What if (even possible) the math for distance can be tapered, based on the guns around it. Tapper is basically there to stop a top heavy environment. so what if the math for distance can be tapered inline/ close to how guns are tapered?   

Report Post Tip

How about instead of just saying get rid and offering no counter to it. What if (even possible) the math for distance can be tapered, based on the guns around it. Tapper is basically there to stop a top heavy environment. so what if the math for distance can be tapered inline/ close to how guns are tapered?   

I even toyed with the idea of suggesting tying Distance in with Tyler. Make him 12 hours no matter the location you shoot from so people can gauge better.  I then realized it didn't really change much, and people are still getting free stats for doing nothing.  In the grand scheme of things I also feel that way about tapering. With how the game is stagnate tapering is hardly ever a conundrum for players. As by the the time the top ten are dead the ten below are well into cap already. On top of it not even being ten people all the time.  It is very rare we get a war that full resets. Once every 3 or 4 years? 

Report Post Tip
No I don't mean killing Tyler with distance math. I mean the general math for it over all. So the actual math is tapered to kill someone Cross Country, relative to the top 10 guns/1.6% (or whatever it is, without going searching)

Becuase distance math just doesn't effect the big boy guns. It also effects the mid range. To then taper the distance like we have to do when you're on the top % for gun stat. Is the general idea

No I don't mean killing Tyler with distance math. I mean the general math for it over all. So the actual math is tapered to kill someone Cross Country, relative to the top 10 guns/1.6% (or whatever it is, without going searching)

Becuase distance math just doesn't effect the big boy guns. It also effects the mid range. To then taper the distance like we have to do when you're on the top % for gun stat. Is the general idea

I may be misunderstanding what you mean but from what iv gathered that would make the top percentile very strong as distance works for/against, however they are already in the top percentile chances are they have the gun already. It would make the job of someone not in the top percentile hell to kill one of the ones inside it.  Not a fan of the regimes having that extra breathing room on there top guns. 

Report Post Tip

I may be misunderstanding what you mean but from what iv gathered that would make the top percentile very strong

no its going to work the same as taper does for guns, slows down the top percentile. And gives everyone the chance under taper to make small gains on those that are in taper. its designed to stop a heavy top system.

so somehow apply that logic to a distance math...i dunno, like a reverse taper for the top percentile when it comes to taper....

im literally just typing out loud here;

The higher the gun, the more "distance taper" kicks in....

Tapered tiers for tapered distance math (using the top 3  durds) to measure the distance math for those under taper + how much that math increases (less than those in taper) but more than those who cant shooting the top 3 durds.

im not sure how much sense this is making, but obvs sounds perfectly rational in my head.

Report Post Tip

but obvs have some kind of base taper. to work off. i missed that bit out. where distance math isnt as heavy as we feel it is now. But it will gradually get heavier the more you get into taper.

i think it could have a real effect on how we war and choose who takes what shot and when and where. ive probably made a pigs ear of explaining it, im just trying to think out of the box a little 

or visa versa. the more you get into taper (gun wise) the less the distance math is for you. just throwing ideas around. 

Sort of like building out of Distance? I think I see what you are saying, as we progress the distance is less and less scaling with those who are in tapering? It could be interesting.  I still think the way it is implemented at the moment is extremely confusing and a bit unnecessary as its original purpose is not aligned with how the game is actually played. I do hope to see some more people give there opinion. 

Report Post Tip

Game Suggestions
Replying to: Distance Matters, but why??
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL