Get Timers Now!
X

May 02 - 03:31:39
Page:  1 2 3 [ > - >>> ]
Announcement: Your Days Are Numbered. Started by: RupertGiles on Feb 04, '24 23:19

Taking a step backwards, to move forward. 

Rupert sat in a local coffee shop holding on to a particularly old book, ornate gold trimming wrapped its way around the border and it looked like it had seen its fair share of use. The conversations being had around him were nearly always a source of amusement; where was a good place to sell drugs? Did you hear about Mrs. Finn's diagnosis? Will I ever find true love? Rupert looked up from his book and noticed a group of people sitting together at a table who appeared to be out of place, to say the least. 

They were older gentlemen - impeccably well dressed - speaking in hushed tones low enough that Rupert couldn't quite make out what they were saying. On the wall adjacent to these gentlemen were pieces of art that Rupert suddenly had the overwhelming urge to inspect more closely. He moved his way to where he was within earshot of the group without looking suspicious. Unfortunately for Rupert they weren't talking about anything of interest, just reminiscing about the "old days". 

Rupert returned to his seat and opened up the ancient book in front of him. It was a detailed account of his Family History on these shores; accomplishments, copies of bank statements, and lessons... Lessons that had been imprinted in to the core of his being after having read them so many times. Lessons that he thought were taught to everyone when they made the decision to lead a life of Crime. Between the old men in the corner and his book of memories, Rupert had the sudden urge to DO something about it. He wasn't going to become another old man in the corner, rambling about how things used to be better. With a determined look on his face Rupert left the coffee shop in pursuit of some like-minded folk. 

Over the course of the next few days he had the chance to speak to many notable people who seemed to agree with Rupert about one specific reform that could have a notable impact, the lifespan of our nation's Unsponsored people. Rupert sat at one of the well known Underground hangouts and waited until business was booming before stepping up in front of the small crowd.

"We are looking to take a step back to older ways in regards to the growing issue of this nation's Unsponsored problem. Myself along with the Structure around me - and many of our allies - are no longer willing to offer unlimited protection to anyone ranked Gangster or above who remains Crewless for longer than a period of 7 days (except wherein a longer protection order is placed upon Members of fallen Crews)." 

"Now this might come as a shock to many of you who may be thinking "BUT RUPERT! The negative gun consequences will surely sink you and all that you hold dear!" - "To this I say - so be it. One of the first lessons that I learned on these shores was that in order to stay clear of the firing squad, you *HAD* to get into a Crew within the first 48 hours of your lifespan or you were 100% going to get shot. I mean Hell - there used to be documents listing the exact times that these people were slated to die for being a part of our lifestyle without kickin' upstairs to anyone."

"However... times do change and so must we. 48-hours is a little quick especially in the rare circumstances of the person being a truly fresh face to our shores. Having spoken to a handful of Upper Structures in a few different Cities, the magic number seems to be SEVEN."

"Moving forward - know this: To those who wish to either loom unproductively, plot, or simply make money without paying upstairs, your days are numbered. If you cannot find a suitable Family to work for within seven days, chances are now excellent that you'll find yourself with a bullet to the back of your head."

Report Post Tips: 16 / Total: $2,631,110 Tip

South Philly will be taking part in this initiative. If you are having a hard time finding employment, myself or my associates will be happy to aid you in finding work. I will personally speak to my cohorts in other cities and districts to ensure that you are able to become a productive member of this thing of ours.

Please look me up, we're quite helpful.

Report Post Tips: 8 / Total: $383,333 Tip

Tyki smiled as he listened. Funnily enough, this is the exact same conversation he had found himself having only recently and was in full agreement.

"Thank you for raising this subject Rupert. My father used to speak tales of the dangerous streets when he first arrived. The urgency in needing to find a family for protection within seven days, otherwise the hunters would seek you out from within the shadows, ready to collect your riches and make sure no one heard the screams, before sending you swimming with the fishes."

He shook his head for a moment as he reminisced, "Scary"

"I can hereby confirm, LA will also be taking part in this."

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $500,000 Tip

We are looking to take a step back to older ways in regards to the growing issue of this nation's Unsponsored problem. Myself along with the Structure around me - and many of our allies - are no longer willing to offer unlimited protection to anyone ranked Gangster or above who remains Crewless for longer than a period of 7 days (except wherein a longer protection order is placed upon Members of fallen Crews)."

"Now this might come as a shock to many of you who may be thinking "BUT RUPERT! The negative gun consequences will surely sink you and all that you hold dear!" - "To this I say - so be it. One of the first lessons that I learned on these shores was that in order to stay clear of the firing squad, you *HAD* to get into a Crew within the first 48 hours of your lifespan or you were 100% going to get shot. I mean Hell - there used to be documents listing the exact times that these people were slated to die for being a part of our lifestyle without kickin' upstairs to anyoanyone

I think this is a step backwards, not so much a return to the old ways. They gods have put the 48 hour tags and the killing of innocents who haven't done anything considered "agressive" in for a reason. You're looking at this purely from a gun/children of war scenario.... you guys really need to think of the wider/bigger picture and implications of keeping people on these shores.

My father was litterally just selling Contraband that he had stored up. He was considered to have protection from the gods because of his tag, he had done anything that was considered aggressive. He hadn't even robbed a local post office. He was killed and a not was left..." You had two days to join a crew..be better"  a totally senseless... all you're doing by adopting this strategy, is detering people from wanting to stick around.

IF this is something that the whole population is going to follow/be forced to adopt, I suggest you guys need to pay much more attention to who you put as your sponsors. In coffee shops, you see all the time that people who are designated sponsors, either look the other way, or just turn the ability to see new recruits off. YOU ALL SHOULD BE ACTIVELY pulling new people into your Crews. Giving people a reason to want to join you.....

You know, how dangerous can someone be that's 48 hours old/7 day old  wearing a god initiative tag. People that haven't even done anything that can be considered aggressive in order to drop said tag. 

Theis 1000% a backwards step. And you 100000% need to look at this from all areas, not just a war scenario. 

Report Post Tips: 3 / Total: $60,000 Tip

I must say, I too find this to be an ill-conceived decision. The Gods do not like to have their will circumvented, and that’s all this announcement says to me. The Gods put in a deterrent, and it is now to be disregarded as per the current crop, because reasons. Don’t get me wrong; it’s your rodeo, but I can’t imagine disrespecting the will of the Gods will ever lead to a positive outcome, especially when the reasons are as vacuous as street thugs being unproductive, or leaders want a cut of the meagre earnings possible from the streets… but you guys do you, just don’t be surprised if further, more stringent measures are installed to the detriment of the country as a whole.

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

Rupert looked to Transistor and Tyki_Mikk with a smile on his face. He had been quite sure that these would be two of the faces showing up in support of this movement and he couldn't have been happier to be correct.

"Sirs - your appearances here have warmed an old mans heart. At some point it may in fact require stellar communication for this endeavor to succeed, as to avoid any excessive Heat charges". 

Rupert listened as the two younger participants of the conversation said their piece. Surprisingly enough Justsellingperks and JordieBarrett seemed well-spoken enough and to boot - they did so without stooping to insults or cursing. He took in what they were saying and processed it before responding.

"Look, I was gonna go easy on you not to hurt your feelings, but I'm only going to get this one chance..."

Someone tapped Rupert on the shoulder and simply shook their head no. 

"Oh alright then, no futuristic homages here! Justsellingperks, I do apologize for the untimely death of your Father. We are in agreeance here about multiple things; first - 48 hours is, as I stated, a bit quick to the trigger which is why we landed on 7 days instead."

"Secondly, I agree that there are 'dead' hours during which our Sponsorship responsibilities definitely take a hit. What I seomwhat disagree about with this sentiment is 'YOU ALL SHOULD BE ACTIVELY pulling new people into your Crews. ' - yes, it is our responsibiliy as Upper Structures to do so. However the buck does not stop precisely in our court. Every single Thug, Petty Thief and Gangster has access to not only Mobmail but a LISTING of the Crews currently recruiting."

"To wrap up in response to your last statement of 'You know, how dangerous can someone be that's 48 hours old/7 day old  wearing a god initiative tag.' - I don't recall stating anywhere that these people should die because of their Danger levels? Trust me, I'm quite used to having `DangerClose. I think you may have missed my point."

Rupert turned to JordieBarrett.

"Can you recall the reasons as to WHY these new-ish tags were put in? Interested to see how people interpreted it. I would like your viewpoint before responding more to your statement." 

Report Post Tip
Can you recall the reasons as to WHY these new-ish tags were put in? Interested to see how people interpreted it. I would like your viewpoint before responding more to your statement."

I think it's just the whole view point on it. I mean my father died under those circumstances, and he even was left a note to say so. So forgive me for putting that action together with this announcement and landing blob on to my point.

I will have to disagree on the crew leaders and godfathers leading the way with recruiting and getting people into the families to negate this change (wich I think is counter productive to what the gods want and expect)

I sincerely belive that the best of the best. The crew leaders, the hands.. shoild be pioneering the way on recruitment and should be actively doing absolutely everything they can to engage new people into this palde and Into thier Crews.

I'll tell you one huge problem currently and to be fair, something that has happened for years.... crew leaders are far too quick to want to know who is thier crew (as a fresh off the boat) little thug. The min focus is, as a crew leader, trying to figure out who it is, before they are trying to engage a potential new member into thier ranks.... for me, its totally the wrong way around and all it does is make people not want to join a crew. And the gods giving us tags, gave people the option to have more time to see what fits for them...with you guys making this change, you're actively and knowingly removing this aspect from us.

You're making and forcing us into a Crew, for fear of "finding a bullet in the back of our heads"

I think it's detrimental to this place. The old ways are not always the best ways
Report Post Tip

Getting a crew has never been as easy as it is now. It took me a little bit of work to get contacted by a family.

You're actively making a decision to not join a crew as you are told there is a near 100% fatality rate by not joining one by that shadowy figure who helps you out when you first arrive. Unless that was just me who had that help...guessing not though.

So they've decided to kill people who don't join them and they accept the consequences that come with it. Seems like a very "have it" development to this little Gangster and not really worth fussing over, really. Got shit to sell? Get a sponsor. 

Report Post Tips: 2 / Total: $350,000 Tip

Certainly Rupert, I have no issue with explaining myself and I’m always willing to participate in respectful debate in these streets - even spirited debate.

From memory, I believe the reason behind these extra divine protections were primarily to protect the newer visitors to our shores from the sins of some of the more vengeful amongst us; generally speaking, the kin of previously fallen soldiers with an axe to grind. This trend of reticence to be recruited, however, cannot be remedied by conscription, in my humble opinion. Blaspheming the will of the Gods will inevitably only cause further divine intervention from past experience, as a witness to these things.

Whilst I understand the reasons behind this announcement, I think a carrot approach would be more beneficial to all than that of a stick. I am not, however, one with a voice at this table so it’s merely an opinion I would offer as an observer. Whether or not it is heeded is beyond my authority.

Report Post Tips: 2 / Total: $40,000 Tip

Not every crew runs the same way, nor does every reign of terror, peace, love or whatever word you wish to use for whichever reign happens at the time. So I am going to push back on the idea that you can force people to join somewhere they do not wish to be.

If  a gangster hasn't done anything to anyone, why should you bother them? Are they affecting your ability to do business along the streets? I doubt it. Are they holding you up at gun point or knife point? Less likely.

In all honesty you were right in this being a step backwards or perhaps it is just outing what most people already knew about those in power currently. Time will tell I guess.

Report Post Tips: 2 / Total: $40,000 Tip

Ketamine had listened a while. She took in both sides to get an understanding of the current homeless population situation and what was being done about it.  

You're making and forcing us into a Crew, for fear of "finding a bullet in the back of our heads"

"This is the Mafia. In case you were lost. Welcome".

Ketamine felt her lips tug to a slight grin, "If you are a gangster, goomba, whatever, get with a crew, is the strong recommendation here. Otherwise, you are just lying to yourself or trying to pass yourself off as an innocent civilian.  I have read the obituaries...the only civilians I read about died by suicide or were taken out by the feds. Imagine! 

And really, how dare crew leaders or recruiters interview prospective newcomers! The nerve.

More often than not, I just get blank stares without an utterance whatsoever from the very person looking for work. My interviews could maybe have a bit more pizzazz. Sure. I am working on that vibe, and feeling pretty good about it all the time. But holding out just to cause malevolent intent...come on". 

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $100,000 Tip

Perhaps the folk remaining on the streets simply don’t support the principles of these leaders, Ketamine? I don’t think it’s any secret my kin preferred to reside on the streets over the past few weeks/months, because they didn’t support the mass extermination of crews simply for participating in activities like rat hunting to sharpen their skills with a weapon. That was a personal choice for my kin; perhaps the same rings true for those remaining on the streets now. Obviously I can’t speak for them, I’m merely hypothesising, based on my own experience.

And really, how dare crew leaders or recruiters interview prospective newcomers! The nerve.

There is a huge difference in an "interview' than an inquest into who your lineage mught be before you are even invited in.  90% of crew leaders do this. Like I get it, you want to know who you're taking in but, at the point it becomes a fascination for crew leaders to know who it is, with the full intent to know if they are a trusted lineage in the current regime. In the knowledge at some point, you're going to purge them, it negates any real attempt  to recruit and to keep them engaged. 

But holding out just to cause malevolent intent...come on"

How can you possibly sit there and come to that decision? So because crew leaders are failing to engage with new recruits and are fascinated with HAVING to know who the persons lineage maybe and people are taking the decision that they don't want to endure that, you think everyone has bad intentions.... then you're everything that a crew leader should not be. So is the logic, becuase we might think this 7 day old gangster that doesn't have a gun, hasn't robbed anyone. Hasn't done anything of note. Might have malevolent intent.  We will just kill then all anyway?

The gods put the system in place for a few reasons. One being so it gives people the options to play it the way they feel, without having to fear "having a bullet in the back of the head". so can you not comprehend that? Can you not understand that this has every potential to go against a current feature that the gods where forced to put in place.

End of the day, this is detrimental to the directions that the gods like to see it go in. What does it matter under normal circumstances that a gangster can just walk the streets without a care in the world, if they are doing nothing that would cross the lines of "agressive" or something that would drop the tag.

What this does is force a person to join a crew, if they don't. They will be killed, regardless of the tag, right? 

It very much seems 1 step forward and fuckton back with this announcement..... 

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $200,000 Tip

You're also sent a shadowy messenger who tells you there is a near 100% mortality rate in not joining a crew. When did the intention become that you could just roam around doing whatever you like? If you're that determined to remain unsponsored, try doing something Gangster and cutting a deal. I bet someone would respond favourably to you offering X amount per week, partly because it makes financial sense and mainly because this place is samey and someone doing ​​​​​anything different is a welcome change of pace.

As to your point on being interrogated, this family I'm in told me they didn't care and haven't asked me about it since, so that isn't my experience at all.

Report Post Tip

You're also sent a shadowy messenger who tells you there is a near 100% mortality rate in not joining a crew. When did the intention become that you could just roam around doing whatever you like

maybe go understand the tag system that the gods put in place.... there isn't a single person saying you can roam around doing what you want..... 

As to your point on being interrogated, this family I'm in told me they didn't care and haven't asked me about it since, so that isn't my experience at all.

trust me, its common. It is happening and it will continue to do so. If the crew leaders all get behind this, then there has to be  fundamental changes in how the crew leaders recruit and engage with new people. 

Becuase I'm basically reading it like this;

CL: I basically can't be arsed to put any effort in engaging with you to recruit you, I want to know who your lineage is. If you don't tell me, I'll assume you're not knew and you have bad intentions so I'll either, not recruit you or I'll recruit you. But purge you before 11 days. And if you don't like these and not join a crew, you'll "find a bullet in the back of your head"

I'm pretty sure that sums it uo

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $200,000 Tip

Justsellingperks, you're reading in to this entirely to the extent of what you wish to believe to be the case. Not a single bit of this change has to do with peoples' lineage, or CrewLeaders purging. The "tag system" as we'll refer to it as, was put in to place mainly to protect the truly FRESH faces to our shores from being slaughtered before getting any chance to experience our world. Additionally, it was put in place to allow certain members to be around even if they didn't care for whatever regime was in place at that time. 

As I sit here there are currently more than half a dozen Crews with space available spread across 5 of our 6 Cities. At any given time there are 12-15+ Crews with space (even if they are set as 'Closed' in some cases). These numerous people ranging in age from a week, to months old, they all don't get along with a single Crew that's out there? I find that absolutely fascinating and hard to believe. 

Report Post Tip

I understand the tags, and I'm sure if this change infringes on the laws of the universe actions will be taken to rectify that. We mere mortals though dont need to speculate on that.

Do you understand how the Mafia treat people who operate on their turf? Why are you choosing to ignore the warning given to you and then being aggrieved at the outcome? Why is it even an issue in the first place? I am certain you could approach virtually every open crew and receive temporary sponsorship while you sell your contraband or you could do something like I suggested previously to avoid this being a problem.

There has been some purging of individuals whose faces didn't fit, but that is par for the course. I doubt it will ever get to the point where there are summary executions on 11 days old of random people though. Has that ever actually happened in the history of the world?

Report Post Tip

I doubt it will ever get to the point where there are summary executions on 11 days old of random people though. Has that ever actually happened in the history of the world?

More often than you would think SaddleFlashing. Sometimes its 10-12 days, sometimes its 20 days, sometimes it 30 days, but it happens, and pretty much every regime I have born witness to over the last couple of decades has engaged in it. Sometimes they just openly wack those they are worried about, sometimes they make up a feeble excuse or fake evidence of so vile conspiracy, other times they remove an entire crew to get rid of a couple of indiviuals hiding out in that crew. As for their faces not fitting, sometimes that can be as simple as they killed your granddaddy once.

Report Post Tip

Come on now. Think about what you're saying here. There has never been a time where there was mass executions of people at 10-12 days. If you think there has, please tell me when it was so I can look it up. There might have been the same handful of dorks getting themselves killed over and over again but even then, the timing is off. Think about it from the regime's perspective. Nobody has anything invested at 10-12, you at least let them get to like 105 or 114 in the hopes that they've expended themselves because you cut the cord because that then might be something meaningful. 30 days, sure that has happened, but not 10-12 and it was more like 50 in most cases. 

As to crews getting removed to clear out those who they don't trust, that definitely happens. It'll always happen. It is actually the main reason most of the wars here occur. Distrust, stupidity and boredom our our most fatal diseases. Well, and Kuku of course. 

Report Post Tips: 2 / Total: $120,000 Tip

SaddleFlashing, you forget that you can have quite the substantial gun after 20 or 30 days if you apply yourself. I personally know of one person who is a little over 100 days with +2200 kills notched on their belt. Why would any regime let you live to the point where you could kill a GFC? Sure not everyone can build as prodigiously. I myself can't be bothered to go through that hassle anymore, but there are people who do it with ease. Even after 20-30 days you can have 600+ notches on your belt with ease, what with Durdens, Rats and Hustle Points, and the odd gift from the gods for deeds well done. At 600 you could do severe damage to a crew's higher ranked members, taking out a consig with 120 BGs.

As for pointing you to a specific time, I am old, and the last 24 years is all one big ball of muddled thoughts, so alas I can't point you to a specific time in our history, but the posts are in the streets if you really want to spend the time reading up on history.

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Announcement: Your Days Are Numbered.
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL