Get Timers Now!
X

May 19 - 07:39:57
Page:  1 2 3 [ > - >>> ]
The Duties of Leadership Started by: Mr_Kuklinski on Jul 10, '12 14:24

Those that lead, the leaders of this thing, the bold amongst us, those that shall, for this speech, be described as leaders.  What do they do?  The answer is, initially, obvious: they lead groups of individuals.  They protect those they have pledged to protect, attack those they decide to attack, they plot, they make money, they spend money, they keep the economy going.  Some of them come to the Streets to talk.  But most of them don't.  Some leaders are more effective than others.  Some leaders are, essentially, dynasties.  Their children will be leaders as their fathers were leaders.  The bloodline has merit and respect.  I for one see some issues with this but it is to be expected and, on it's own, isn't too big a problem.

The problem I have with leaders is that the notion of leadership isn't fully understood.  Some leaders want to lead merely for the power that it brings.  Some want the money.  Some want to kill.  Some want a combination of all three.

Not enough have a clear vision of the type of society that they want to create.  And this is what's lacking.

Leaders have, in the past, strived for and achieved a total change in the way things are done.  I'm long enough in the tooth to remember when those that were -48 could be considered fair game.  The newly arrived could be harrassed about joining a crew, practically press-ganged.  For a while, robotic earning machines seemed poised to repace actual real life personnel within a leader's crew.  Because of visionary leadership, these things were changed and remain changed.

Recently, a leader that I have a great deal of respect for came to the Streets and slandered my bloodline.  That's fine, I care not.  I can deal with it and will do so.

But I invite him to come here now and map out his vision for the future.  What he would like to be remembered for.  What he wants to use his substantial influence to change.

And the others can do the same.  If you are a leader, then explain if there is anything that you want to change.

This is a challenge.  It's a challenge that has clear merit but it is coming from a controvertial source.  Those of you with character will be able to concentrate on the words, not the speaker.  Those of you who are weakwilled will ignore it, thus indicating that you are sheep.

So to the true leaders out there, what is the vision?  You sought out and achieved a leadership position.  What do you want to do with it? 

Report Post Tip

Meph walks forward a sign in one hand a hammer the other he sets it up and starts to hammer it into the ground.

The sign reads... "DO NOT FEED THE TROLL!"

Report Post Tip

Perfectly good question, i think you need to pipe down Meph. 

Report Post Tip

It is a perfectly pertinent question too - and one that hasn't really ever been asked before.

This goes beyond who sets up where, what taxes, how many BGs.

What cultural changes to the leaders want to cause?

Report Post Tip

( . )( . )

Report Post Tip

Meph looks at monkeyface

Why should I pipe down monkeyface? He is calling out a temporary leader about their vision for the future and saying that the rest of the leaders are sheep if they do not come along and converse with him about their plans for the future. Now I am not sure everybody noticed but the morgue is kind of full at the moment, lot's of burials are being organised so I think most leaders will be too busy to come out and talk about the future when they are still mourning their loved ones as opposed to "They are sheep as they will not come out right now and discuss everything"  Just my 2 cents.

Report Post Tip

Meph, explain on what grounds you hammered a DO NOT FEED THE TROLL sign in front of a thought provoking speech?

Otherwise STFU and try and think of something sensible to contribute to a discussion amongst thinking adults.

Report Post Tip

Well Mr Kuklinski calling out a temporary leader on such a thing is trolling surely not?

Or did you miss the memo that he is temporary? I shall quote you good Sir, "Those of you who are weakwilled will ignore it, thus indicating that you are sheep." Please explain how ignoring someone when more important things are going on makes a person a sheep?

Report Post Tip

Right time.. wrong time.. 

The sign reads... "DO NOT FEED THE TROLL!"

That wasn't necessary. If you don't have anything worthful to say then don't say it.

Report Post Tip

Meph, this was CLEARLY addressed to all leaders.  Not just one. 

There's the rather obvious point that the Streets are permanent and that war is temporary - therefore, leaders have a lot of time to respond.

Respectfully, meph, you jumped on a bandwagon but just made yourself look a bit silly.  Probably best you just leave it there and wait for others to respond.

Report Post Tip

Meph

I would normally agree with you on the Troll thing, but today this seems like a reasonable subject for people to respond in for once.

I am sure not all crewleaders are involved in the current Battle for New York and what better place to show the crowds of civilians arriving to our shores what a crew leader stands for.

Report Post Tip

monkeyface I already responded to your comment, did it go in on ear and out the other or something?

"If you don't have anything worthful to say then don't say it." All I can say is likewise. Anyway gentlemen I have wasted enough time here and I have a severe hankering for a nice cup of tea so I bid you farewell.

Meph frollics off to get a cup of tea

Report Post Tip

Ricardo watches with a grin from ear to ear and shouts off to meph as he frolicks away

"Meph damn you, you've fed the trolls now and they're not likely to ever leave!"

Report Post Tip

Damn I get but a few steps, guys I really want my cup of tea. 

Jump on a bandwagon, I think not. Mr Kuklinski if you had stated that this was a generalised discussion without any digs at anyone I would think very differently and not have placed the sign where it stands

He looks at the pretty sign

However you did refer to one leader in particular then threw a little jibe at the other leaders so unfortunately I personally think my sign is justified.

Jack that is very true except there are not many folk coming off the boat that are finding it hard to find a home, if there were swarms of people that had no idea what to expect from this land of opportunity.. you know the type no aunts or uncles sending them letters about how things work in this world etc.

Meph winks to Ricardo and throws him a sugar lump

Right I am actually away for this cup of tea now I may return later if anyone has anything worthwhile to add to this conversation.

Report Post Tip

Meph, I saw you coming before you even arrived:

"Those of you with character will be able to concentrate on the words, not the speaker."

Report Post Tip

" Some leaders want to lead merely for the power that it brings. Some want the money. Some want to kill. Some want a combination of all three."

Some leaders lead just to have a close group of fellow Mafioso they can call family, people they can rely on and trust. It's not always about power.

Report Post Tip

Power is a part of the deal though and to ignore the potential of it would be irresponsible in itself, which, I think, is in line with what Mr Kuklinski has said.

Report Post Tip

I cough, having stopped talking prematurely to clear my throat.

The only people with the opportunity to produce change are the ones with the power to nurture and enforce it. I'm looking forward to hearing some of the responses from leaders with their own shining city on the hill to aspire to.

Report Post Tip

If we can try to avoid getting bogged down in the semantics...

I'll give you an example of a cultural change that I would like to see occur.

When a person becomes a Made family member, the contract is a two-way Street.  That person becomes a Man of Honour and that person has to be treated a certain way by everyone, regardless of family or city.  It is a rank that means something. 

When a Made member of a family is killed (outside of war), that family should announce the circumstances surrounding the death - at the funeral or on the Streets.  Such transparancy would expose weak and cowardly leaders, families with internal problems and publicise strong families with rigid discipline.

That's my vision - the rank of Made member meaning that dead or alive, you are accounted for.

Report Post Tip

Vasily puts up a crudely done sign, written in crayon.  It reads:

"Today you may feed the Kuku.  Do not however, feed the condescending guy who is 'frollicing' back and forth getting tea, winking at men and throwing sugar at them"

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: The Duties of Leadership
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL