Get Timers Now!
X

May 11 - 14:20:16
Game Suggestions
2 Watchers
Page:  1 2 3 [ > - >>> ]
Gun Safety Started by: Phil_Steak on Feb 12, '13 21:16

I will begin by saying, I first would need someone who is more familiar with firearms of the 1930s to provide authenticity or not. What I am suggesting is having the ability to toggle on or off the safety for your firearm.

This can be done in two ways.

1) An option in your options that you toggle on and off.

2) A button on the wack page (your gun) that you must uncheck before wacking.

Alternatively, it could be a combination of both, where an option in your options specifies if you want it check or unchecked by default.

If you do not uncheck your safety, your wack attempt will result in a message that specifies that you must disable your safety when shooting at LIVE/LIVING/REAL accounts. RIAs/MIAs/Durdens can be excused for the sake of convenience.

How it will effect the game:

- Less likely of a miss-click effecting the death of an innocent person.

- If you are shooting at someone in a war, and you forget to take the safety off, this will give the target crucial seconds to get their protection wack in. In other words, if you win the race, but your safety is on, the pro-er will end up being able to pro the target.

Thoughts?

Report Post Tip

Interesting idea

Report Post Tip

Maybe there should be an MR wasted mode... that can be toggled on and off. We've all made mistakes...

Report Post Tip

I feel like this mistake is so common that I would be a proponent of a suggestion like this.

I've done it, I've had it done to me. Luckily those two times were misses - sometimes they are not, and it is a horrible and tragic mistake.

Report Post Tip

Ultimately, I think that while very very rarely, an experienced player will make a mistake, mostly, "gun malfunctions" are made by new players, or devious players.  I think that adding this would take pressure off crew leaders to make sure that their new associates are properly trained regarding what can and can not be safely shot.  This could be detrimental to the game overall, because the new members need that human interaction to make them excited about our game. 

As for those devious players, they can now take an unauthed shot, and later claim ignorance.  Claim an accident, and if they have given the impression of trustworthiness, perhaps escape with a slap on the wrist, or even if they die for the "mistake" retain the trust of their former crew leader.  I think this adds to the intrigue and fun of the game, and I wouldn't really like to see the uncertainty removed. 

Report Post Tip

Very fair and valid points, Love.

Report Post Tip

I think this would be a great idea. I luckily havent come across this (yet) but I think it could help out with unnecessary drama that may occur cause of it.

Report Post Tip

Anything other than a toggle option which could be permanently de-selected, seems a very onerous introduction to deal with what is a very rare phenomenon.

Report Post Tip

I dunno Love. It couldn't hurt to have a gun safety to turn on when you're not in war time. It wouldn't be a complicated thing to implement. I do not think it would change how leaders treat new members. I don't think it would take out uncertainty either because any person can claim whatever they want. "Oh fuck, I left the safety off"

Report Post Tip
PC-SpikeSpiegel has sponsored this suggestion. This suggestion now has a total of 1 sponsors and will need 4 more sponsors in order to be submitted to the player commission forum.
Report Post Tip
PC-Whitey has sponsored this suggestion. This suggestion now has a total of 2 sponsors and will need 3 more sponsors in order to be submitted to the player commission forum.
Report Post Tip

in my short time here I've seen this happen well over a dozen times? And those are just the incidents that i know about. I'm sure there are countless more that others could speak on. But I've seen it enough to think it's a valid issue.

It could be an (optional) visual thing. Literally a little lever on the tack of bullets in the top right of the wack screen that you would have to click to make it pop up befor you got the 'locked and loaded' text. All an optional toggle - of course - but if it were something that weren't a bland black button people might pay more attention before they click. 

Report Post Tip

very valid point as i understand the need for such an attribute such as this...

Report Post Tip

Is this suggestion being considered?

Report Post Tip

I would hope not.

Report Post Tip

I think a good gun to pick for this era is the 1911 which had a safety. That would be authentic enough Im thinking.

Report Post Tip

Safeties have been around for as long as modern bullets AFAIK. This is a fair idea, and easy enough to implement I suppose.

Report Post Tip

I'd have personally thought the safety here was the need to both load the wack page and click the wack... but maybe I'm wrong.

Yes accidents do happen, but they happen in speech too. Sometimes, we simply have to deal with the accidents that occur and then live with the consequences of those. Whether that's a CL trying to bury the proof, killing a loyal and valuable member or going to war with the entire site as they refuse to enforce their own rules. If we try and remove all possible mistakes (I'm speaking as someone who was shot at from an attempted/intended pp in the past), it's simply removing some of the interest in what might happen as a result of them.

Report Post Tip

This week there have been four incidences of these types of accidents that I know of where this feature could have stopped it.

Obviously, I won't name names. But, more than one of these incidents involved members of Upper Structures. RHM, LHM, CL etc.

This isn't just about preventing the 1-off stupid mistake.

This happens every single day and is a constant problem... Why keep having accidents that can be avoided with a simple feature?

Report Post Tip

Because these accidents are an illustration, in my opinion of 'The action is your... the reaction is not'. If we are to have gun safety, we might as well have speech editing that will help remove gaffes made in some forum. It pays to be vigilant about the screen you are looking at. If you are running on 60 hours of no sleep or on a bottle of Jack, you need to be extra careful about what you do.

Report Post Tip

Game Suggestions
Replying to: Gun Safety
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL