Get Timers Now!
X

May 17 - 07:37:42
Page: [ <<< - < ] 1 2 3 4 
Lose/Loose, Rogue/Rouge, Sally/ForkRourke Started by: ThomasRourke on Apr 15, '09 04:53
Ah. I apologize. Awesome pointed out that one. But the general point remains. Due to small errors in which word is used, when the points made are still completely comprehensible, some wish to kill people off. I see I may have to develop oocitis. We correspond mainly in writing (We're on computers people, we type. Typing errors are easy, as is knowing how to say a word but not spell it. Not all programs have spell check. Though FireFox is great because it does.)which means pronunciation would not even come into it. And there is still the option I mentioned. Ignore those who aren't tto your standards. Let them live their lives without interacting with them.
Report Post Tip
when I read I hear the words in my head, so I can understand the point about rouge/rogue being far worse than their/there as hearing rouge completely throws you and does start making you look around for make-up. 'Saving the effort of writing the whole word' Is a lie I think. Most people can type kind of fast, enough for it to actually take MORE of an effort to write U instead of you or w8 instead wait as you have to slow down and look for the different letters that you would not naturally use - I personally think it is either stupidity or affectation rather than a time-saveing device.
Report Post Tip
but there is an enormous difference between loose/lose or rogue/rouge and wait/w8 or U/You. The latter I can see being affronted by.
Report Post Tip
Dear DaisyY,

I do understand that you have achieved the rank of Godfather, and from my time here I have learned that attaining that position is no small feat. I respect you for that, but from what I gathered aren't you supposed to be doing what you can as leaders to establish your communities and bring new people to these shores?

...While retaining and managing our own businesses. I could open up an entirely noob friendly crew and do nothing but educate, but how does that make me money? How does that keep my bodyguards fed and clothed? There definitely needs to be a balance. Speaking on behalf of all the current Godfathers, I have seen them put in some great man hours to helping new bloodlines. Hell, Godfather Thomas and myself both have inexperienced mobsters in our own personal HQs, because we've raised them well. One of my favorite Right Hands in this world at the moment is also my favorite "noob".

We can still teach and we can still instruct without losing the integrity of our businesses. I have seen it done time and time again.

I also know that I am new to this world and do not have an established bloodline, and am prepared to face the harassment about that.

We do no harass new blood. At least, I would like to speak on behalf of everyone when I say that. If someone does harass you, speak to me personally and I will take care of that situation for you.

Dear Los Loco,

Marietta- Be it grammar or spelling it is the same thing. Something so very trivial that does not affect how a member benefits their family in the long run. High_Soc never once implied you do not care about your family, the skills he give are more valuable, or any such similar thing. He merely stated he does not worry if his people's speech is perfect. Only that they do indeed benefit the family. Your comment about wacking us for having an opinion does reflect badly on you however.

Sure sure. When a man says he'll wack people for trivial matters or worse- actually does wack someone, he's revered and idolized. A female threatens to shoot people and flex a little power she's chastized. How sexist of a world we live in, eh?

I don't spend time grading people on their accents or influxions. I slip up too. In fact, no one was chastizing anyone over grammar or "spelling" in street posters. You all turned this speech into a debate over that. Godfather Thomas was merely remarking on things that annoy him. Much like many of us do on a day to day basis.

In the end, you have to communicate effectively. If you come running to me telling me to "beware the rouge", sure, I might be able to figure out what you're trying to say really, but for a brief moment I will stare at you like you are fucking nuts for trying to talk me out of using my cosmetics. No, it doesn't have any bearing on your ability to earn money or be a sub crew leader, but if you're going to be on my high counsel of people I have around in emergencies, you bet your ass I want you to be able to tell me what the hell is going wrong at any given time.

Dear Kittie,

I am going to have to say that I hope this was just the concussion speaking and not something I actually heard Godmother Marietta say. If she did say something that blase I can assure her that New Orleans most certainly DOES care about the education of our youngsters and even the older members of our crews who have fixable speech impediments. I don't know about anyone else from my city but I will speak up for the Big Easy and say that grammar and proper diction are extremely important and we work hard to make sure our youth can speak intelligently.

Perhaps I was wrong and was grasping at straws when I included all of New Orleans into that equation. I am actually quite fond of Brick_Pollitt and Munchkin, as well as their upper structures, so I owe them an apology for taking my anger out on their city when my problem only really did lie with the one leader, Mister Winter Hill. You have my deepest apologies, Kittie, and the rest of the Big Easy.

Dear Zeb,

Can we please put this elitist bullshit to bed already?

I seriously seriously wish we could. It wasn't meant to be elitist. Thomas felt that he had found a fun and entertaining way to educate the masses. This turned into a debate about well, just about everything but race and religion but I'm pretty sure someone will find a way to incorporate it that way. People need to settle the hell down.

~*~

I find it utterly hilarious how people can spout whatever they want out into the streets, but the second a Godfather tries to find an original way to present a semi-serious topic, people fly off the handle. Yet it is we, the Godfathers and Godmothers, who are the ones who are out of line on this. Simmer down, bastards.
Report Post Tip
This turned into a debate about well, just about everything but race and religion but I'm pretty sure someone will find a way to *interpret it that way.

See? Godmothers make mistakes too.
Report Post Tip
Personally, I am in complete agreement with Godfather Rourke.

Thinking and the ability to communicate those thoughts are essential to our way of life. Everyone in this debate has acknowledged that no one is perfect. And no one is demanding perfection.

If I understand Godfather Rourke correctly he's not demanding perfection either- just effort. Even if you're speaking quickly, you still have time to think about what you want to say before you put it out in public. Why not look it over in your mind and make sure you're speaking correctly? If you're mispronouncing every other word you're saying (note: I am not referring to mere occasional errors) not only are you causing yourself to look like in idiot, you're telling everyone around you that what you're saying really isn't worthwhile because you couldn't be bothered to think about it too much.

If you won't put 30 seconds of effort into thinking before you speak, why should I listen? If you don't care enough to communicate properly with people, what does that say about the quality of your ideas?
Report Post Tip
There's nothing elitist about wanting people to interact with you and for them to maintain a shred of dignity while doing so. It's embarrassing for a grown person to speak to me like a child. I think it's okay for people to address their own family heads like that, there's a level of comfort and security there. However, I don't appreciate being talked to in such an informal and idiotic manner. I think that kind of activity is indicative of piss poor leadership.

Doesn't it scare anyone else that when someone starts a conversation with you and speaks gibberish that you can start to pinpoint what family they are from? I don't think this is a minor problem at all, I think it is a trend that needs to be squashed... with force.
Report Post Tip
Ugh... certain kind of bickering really pisses me off, but I really can't let people quote me or twist my words without having to show them how little they understood about what I said.

BestestFriend: this may be a good example of what Thomas is trying to avoid, I hope. You just accused me of being a liar and I will not tolerate that. ("'Saving the effort of writing the whole word' Is a lie I think.") You may, of course, disagree with me and that implies that you think I'm WRONG, not that I'm a liar. Please look up the definition of liar. And abbreviations are practiced in the same way you practice anything in typng, eventually it becomes way more natural for some people to type "cya l8tr" than "See you later".

ZebRourke, you should not tell me or anybody to put any shit to bed or to stop anything, unless we're talking about you, your mother, or anything that affects you. I will fucking keep talking about mistakes and I will fucking be elitist if I want to and you will not tell me (us) to stop.

LLL, the fact that it's easy to make mistake doesn't mean we have to start trying, and even though I hate OOCitis, I may have to talk to oyu in your same term to explain something: Thomas hasn't shot anybody for spelling mistakes. He's just trying to "put the fear on us" so we will improve. What do you want him to say: "I will give out candies to whoever writes a speech without an error"? (That's my guess anyways, Thomas may tell me I'm wrong, of course)
Report Post Tip
Awesome jumps back into the fray to share with all those brawlers present some more linguistic insights.

"Ahem. One thing I've always wondered about is people's use of the saying "I could care less about X". Now, let us examine this closer."

Awesome writes the words down and removes from his Pocket of Awesomeness a magnifying glass.

"Hmm. Hmm. Yes, interesting. It appears that, semantically, the statement "I could care less about X" does not necessarily mean that one cares little about X. For example, let us say that 'X' is 'oranges'. Now, let us say that I care a lot about oranges. Because I do. They is yummy. In fact, let us say that I have 100 units of care for oranges. That's a lot of care. But, it's possible to have less care. Like, 0 units. So, I could validly claim that I could care less about oranges. Because I could. In fact, the more one cares about a thing, the more one could care less about a thing. Because the degree of care is so high, see?"

Awesome hopes everyone is following along.

"But, let us say that I hate linguistic idiots with a passion. I have 0 units of care for them. Because I can't get less than 0 units of care, it's impossible for me to care less about something. So, to establish how little I care for linguistic idiots, it would be required of me to make the statement that "I couldn't care less about linguistic idiots". Because my level of care is at the very minimum, see?"

With a proud expanding of his chest, Awesome feels all proud and stuff at having shown the people the error of their ways.
Report Post Tip
Awesome... you did it again. That is an awesome example! I hate that mistake too.
Report Post Tip
Chuckles Apparently not Godmother. Right after your post he once again made his seriousness known it'd seem. Same to Adrian. I'm done however. Said my piece, made my case, all that. This will get nowhere. I do so love how people say things then try to retract them though. Or others try to alter what they say. Makes debate quite fun.

And I loved your comment about sexism. As this went from a couple of posts to four pages and counting more or less because, it could be said, my comments were seen as chastisements of ThomasRourke.

Adieu, Ciao, Sionara, and Farewll
Report Post Tip
I don't think anyone here was proven wrong quite as much as you, Lobo. Perhaps you should have made a retraction or two. I think it's (it is) hilarious that you tried to correct my grammar. Let me guess, you just finished a sophomore-level English course where you wrote a few essays, and now you believe that you are Robert Frost?

Take it down a notch, Chachi. You have much to learn.
Report Post Tip
Dearest Adrian.

I didn't tell anyone to put anything to bed. I simply requested that you would. Hence the 'please'.

Be as elitist as you like. Be as small minded as you like. Be as sycophantic as you like.

Its your street as much as anyones slugger.
Report Post Tip
Awesome pops up from his hidey-hole.

"Actually, Mr. ZebRourke. It's "It's", not "Its". Very subtle difference in the pronunciation. True story."

Awesome un-pops up from his hidey-hole.
Report Post Tip
You are, as ever, correct.

*injects awesomes orange with laxative*
Report Post Tip
Awesome watches as ZebRourke injects his oranges with laxative, and then starts to eat an orange; because he likes oranges. Then, for some inexplicable reason, Awesome feels the need to relieve himself. And so does. In the middle of the street. On ZebRourke's shoes.
Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Lose/Loose, Rogue/Rouge, Sally/ForkRourke
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL