Get Timers Now!
X

May 21 - 08:57:54
Page:  1 2 3 [ > - >>> ]
When to run and when to fight? Started by: Martii on Jun 07, '15 21:52

Martii clears a little space on the corner of the street and erects a podium, for weeks wars have gone on and the age old question of what it means for a man to survive and loyalty came into his mind. 

"when your family is dead, and the war is almost over, what is the first thing you should do? do you keep fighting or do you try to survive as best you can? when is it OK to survive and when is it OK to run or to fight?"

Report Post Tip

Are you looking for guidance or do you have any thoughts of your own on this?

Report Post Tip

I have my thoughts, but I want to know what people think, everyone has their opinion, just curious.

Report Post Tip

Mr. Polo looks at Martii, and tips his hat to the man.

"Mr. Martii. Firstly, congratulations on earning your seat. Secondly..." Polo chuckles softly. "Of course our instincts are for us to survive. However I feel that people tend not to forget atrocities that happen to them, or their families. Thus Running away may be their own way of living to fight another day."

Polo taps his chin. "There is a possibility that you can do both."

Report Post Tip
Me, personally, going down fighting is more so courageous. Afterall you said you would give your life to your Crew Leader when you joined them, right? So why not go down trying to make them proud and get a few blows back? Also, trying to survive after your family has fallen will more than likely not happen. In no disrespect whatsoever, take Joe Ligambi the other night. Instead of fighting, he tried to survive and wanted to rebuild Detroit. If they want you to survive, the attackers that is, then they will choose.
Report Post Tip

This was something TepidDelucci felt strong about so he decided to add his thoughts and opinions on the matter.

"For me everyone should go down fighting, I am not a fan of people who jump ship and it really irks me, if they can jump ship once what's to say they won't do it again when another war comes? They have shown that they have no loyalty to that family or city by fleeing, thinking about themselves rather than those around them, them being the family that took them in and let them grown only to turn their backs on them.

In most wars their are those who instantly change their pledges of loyalty to others, from being attacked they go to being the attacker in some cases... These are connected men and women who most have their buttons who to me... Didn't deserve it but deserve death. There are those that didn't received their buttons and whom are innocent, I don't have a problem with those people providing they were not hands and in a place of responsibility.

Now, for the ones who have survived...

This may not be for everyone but some are safe listed though old friendships of bloodlines whereas my opinions are not to safe list anyone regardless of whether they played a part or not, but this only applies to those who have received their buttons for those who have not are mostly innocent.

At the end of the day other families business is exactly that, their family business, now my opinion doesn't have to be agreed with as others have different opinions and like to safe list friends and not kill everyone."

Report Post Tip

After settling a deal with his cuban connections to get sugar cane shipped to the Old City District safely, LeonMalikov walked up the streets to shoot some dice. He overheard Martii raising questions on the ethics of 'fight or flight'.

Leon replied, "It is my opinion that there is no shame in evading an enemy, but I believe in going down with the ship. Evasion should be used to mount an attack against your foes. The moment to attack an enemy is given to you by the enemy themselves."

Leon stepped a little closer to speak more personally, "With that being said, let me say that I also believe that pleas for one's life appear cowardly and without loyalty. To fight to the death is the honorable thing to do."

Having spoke his peace, Leon proceeds to a smokey gambling spot where he won $500,000 and a brothel property that serves whiskey from a faucet.

Report Post Tip

Annie listened to the speeches that were made and then cleared her throat to say, "I would live, fight and die for my city. It's as simple as that. There is no running away from a war if you're loyal to your family, your friends and the members of the city you call home. Stare death in the face and say bring it on instead of jumping ship and running away. You should give your all for your city. If you die, at least you died in honor of what you lived for."

She looked around to see everyone staring at her because of her quick and abrupt speech, her cheeks reddened, and she quickly walked back to where she came from.

Report Post Tip

More discussions with no right or wrong answer. Both sides can be debated and both sides can be justified. It'll be interesting to see all of the "Fight to the death!" answers you get, when the truth might be far from what they're saying. I won't mention names from my ancestors journals, but I remember reading about a select hotheaded first generation mafioso. He always claimed that he had a "ride or die" mentality, but when the gun shots serenaded the streets he was the first one to jump ship and join the other side of this mini dispute.

Jank reveals a semi automatic in a shoulder houlster underneath his button up, custom made with a larger grip to fit his large hands. Covering it back up as a civilian passes. Jank nods as he passes, taking a drag from a cigarette.

This is my best friend. He and I go way back, he was passed on to me by Mr. Gato from my first real job. These people saw something in me that I didn't see in myself at the time. They gave me a place to call home, they taught me how to take my set of skills and make money. Me and my best friend here will definitely make some noise for the honor of these folks if it came down to it.

Report Post Tip

Any man of honor should stand and fight.

Report Post Tip

I like what you said Janky, both sides have very good arguments, I think when the time comes sometimes you may wanna go out fighting, but if you look at the time it took to get to where are, would you?. I am not saying any side is right, just a food for thought that is all. 

Report Post Tip

I think that you should share your own opinion as well, if you want to provide food for thought. You say you (hypothetically) look at the time it took to get you where you are, you wouldn't necessarily want to fight?

Who helped you get there? Who provided you with protection, a place to stay and help if you need it? Who are you building for, if it's not for the good of your family?

Of course there is a good/right side, and it's that of fighting for your family/district.

Report Post Tip

I just came to hear, doesn't mean I need to tell everyone where I stand.  I have no stand, just don't betray your city or your friends,  no one can say who is right and wrong its all opinionated I just wanted to see what the masses thought and people have brought up some great insight.

Report Post Tip

"No one can say whether it is right or not but looking at it with respect and loyalty, it's wrong to jump ship."

Report Post Tip

You can say who is right and who is wrong, though. You've said it yourself: If you don't want to betray your city (and friends), stand and fight. This is the only right approach. The other is or should be wrong.

Report Post Tip

as I said, we are all making great points, you stick to your beliefs, and i support that belief, but for those who don't you have to explain why you believe what you believe.

Report Post Tip

that was my opinion sidere I am no judge of anyone, people believe what they want, if someone came out and said backing down is fine, i wouldn't rip him apart it is his belief and if he can back it up the better, just state what you believe and stop being on a crusade for right or wrong.

Report Post Tip

Sorry, didn't think I was supposed to agree with everyone and hold their hands.

Furthermore I think the only possible way to back up abandoning your comrades is saying that ''they weren't enough of a family/we didn't connect/the leader never talked to me'' and whatnot, but that stuff is your fault too. You joined that family and you became made there. You could've ask to remain an associate!

Because, really, backing down is only something for associates. Anything above that is just.. wrong

Report Post Tip
Thanks for bringing this topic to the streets Martii, it's great to see vocal crewleaders such as your fine self around these parts. I for one welcome your experienced views on such matters - further spurring me on in my own quests to one day reach your enviable position at the head of your own family.

For me? Sometimes it's good to stand and fight and sometimes it's good to run. I think it just depends on many factors - wouldn't you agree? Just my own humble view, no disrespect intended.
Report Post Tip

I think that you should share your own opinion as well, if you want to provide food for thought. Sidere

I think it helps but it isn't necessary. If one chooses to ask a question and doesn't feel the need to give out their position, that is fair. In fact what Martii has done by taking a very neutral stance allows more people to freely speak about what they feel inside without the feeling of debate looming over them if they contradict him. The streets have no rules informing an individual to state their stance on every issue that is presented by that person. 

Of course there is a good/right side, and it's that of fighting for your family/district. Sidere

I agree with this completely. There is only one side.  You fight for your family and you protect them and you defend them to the very end. Anything less than that you should have never been a part of that family anyways. I don't agree with the current mindset that is floating around that anyone and everyone under the rank of Made Men is free to go about and join any crew they wish. You are with a family, you have made a commitment. A commitment that says i will stake my life here. When you become MADE i think it should be something so severe that the family would say the same to you, I WILL DIE FOR YOU BROTHER/SISTER because now that you are Made that is what you are. Somewhere along the line the definition of loyalty has shifted.

Martii, if you are still looking for opinions and thoughts i would reccomend a nice visit on the other side of the Street where my own discussion has brought a lot of very thoughtful insights. I was saying something a long the lines of<font color="#66CCFF"> </font>'Jump the Ship Because its Sinking'

Report Post Tips: 2 / Total: $270,000 Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: When to run and when to fight?
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL