Get Timers Now!
X

May 11 - 13:49:31
Page:  1 2 3 [ > - >>> ]
What are streets for? Started by: sneakyrat on Mar 09, '10 12:29

Sneakyrat stands in the middle of the croud, he grabs a crate... stands up on it and speaks out loud and clear for all to listen...

What are these streets for and what do people think they are doing here?

You heard me, what are they for and what are you doing here? I've heard so many people talking here for so many years, as my ancestors did in their time. And not much has changed since. They are different types of speakers in our streets. The highly ranked intellect who re-inforces his opinion on different issues and statements that we witness here on a daily baisis. The low ranked intellect, the one who starts debating on issues that goes through his mind and is smart enough to be respectful. The highly ranked not really smart one who thinks his rank will overcome his lack of respect, now this one is annoying dont you agree? The low ranked member who does'nt know how to act here in our streets and uses faul language and lacks the respect required to even speak out here. This one needs serious guidance from his leaders.

Out of the four categories i have just mentionned, each and everyone of us fits at least one of them. Now there is a reason for our streets. Here the leaders see your true self, what you stand for and what you need to become a better "associate". The first of my bloodline was a little clumsy in our streets as most of the first of each bloodline is actualy. But my bloodline has grown and became better speakers from generation to generation. The streets is what i call the devine school... this is where everyone shares their experiences and thoughts. In short... it is for EVERYONE... sneakyrat shouts the word everyone for the guy that is dozing of againts that wall...

Yes... it is for everyone, because everyone likes to hear what others think. When a fresh off the boater says something, starts debate and is respectful, we must absolutely listen and try to help him out. Or course we can have a different opinions, that is no crime. But he deserves the same respect he is showing. We've all been there, we know what it is like to start fresh. If i dont agree with such a individual i would simply say something like... "interesting questions sir, but i cant say i totally agree with you... for intance..." and you add on to what you really what to say to this man. If beeing respectful is too difficult for you, and for whatever reason, you what to simple crush this man... well, you have lost some of your credibility. Even if you are high ranked... you have lost some of the peoples respect. Now i am not saying your followers will agree with me, for they know you better than i... but for the ones that dont know you, their respect for you is diminished.

People... i am here today to ask you this. Respect the fresh off the boaters! If they show respect they deserve it as much as any other highly ranked that is respectful. So lets show them we know the true meaning of respect. That is our mission here. To inform, to listen and to help. That... ladies and gentlemen... is what our streets are for. If you dont agree with me, i am open minded enough to listen to what you have to say about this!

Report Post Tip

mortuis walks up and listens to sneakyrat.

"i have no disagreement with you, provided you show respect. i often weigh in on such discussions. however, if a fresh off the boater starts by saying somthing rude or disrespectful, not only will i call them on it, i will make sure others back me up.

that said, if they are respectful, i will show them the same courtasy."

Report Post Tip

Of course if you listen to my speech i am referring mostly to the respectful one. I've have mentions the other types to categorize the different kinds of people. But my issue is more for the high ranks lacky the respect for a respecful fresh off the boater. Whoever lacks respect, does'nt deserve it... he certainly does'nt deserve mine for that matter. Just to be clear on my thoughts here!

Report Post Tip

So about the word lacky... it is meant to be lacking... my mouth is a little dry!

Report Post Tip

I have to agree with both of you esteemed gentlemen. We must have respect.

We must also have differences of opinion for debate to survive and become a debate where those who wish may state their opinion as well.

We can all over look the odd word that someone says wrong, that is human nature. But when most, if not all,families demand repect it should be carried over into the wider community.

Report Post Tip

getting up from his table on the other side of the street he approaches sneakyrat

Our streets are essential to the life blood of our world. Without them we would all be a bunch of boring sods who only talk with those we know. Views and thoughts would not get shared, ideas would not be generated, life for many would be dull. Now I know that it's only over the past few weeks that I have started to make an appearance in the streets. I've said this before many would have assumed me to be a mute and I will not refute that for I was and to an extent I still am.

But I agree with what you are saying, no matter who starts the conversation how they go about it is the most important issue. Many times those fresh off the boat come out here and attempt to engage our attention. A lot of the time they are over looked, there are occasions such as Bombermans recent antics that draw a lot of attention. It is all down to the content.

Each person who comes out here should be granted respect for doing so, that being said once you've heard their speech then it is up to you how it is taken. Well spoken or not should not be the issue, if it is respectful then treat it with respect. If they need a little guidance then they should be afforded it.

However if it is disrespectful then, well we all know the results, if the person knows no better they can be taught, if they are willing to listen and learn then it is of little inconvenience to the rest of us. However if this person is just out for attention and is willing to go to any length to get it then it will be dealt with.

Report Post Tip

Woken by a loud shout, Alfonce noded his head in agreement with the sneakyrat thinking to himself that respect is the pure basis of our way of life. It is what makes our world spin and the streets are the center stage for the major happenings within it. There's no better time nor venue to display that of which is expected and required of each and every one of our citizens.

Report Post Tip

Having listened to the speech, Tyrion walks over and shakes sneakyrat by the hand.

Thanks for speaking, I couldn't agree more with what you had to say. In fact I'd go so far as to point any 'fresh of the boat' new blood in the direction of this speech as a good place to start. Its always been my personal opinion that any speech made with a respectful tone will gain a more welcoming audience than a scramble of bad grammar and insolent tones. An important point you make and one I hope the less experienced may pay attention to.

Patting sneakyrat on the shoulder, he wanders back to his chair outside the nearby cafe.

Report Post Tip

I am not very far from being a 'fresh off the boat' person and I can say that I agree totally with your statements, gentlemen.

Respect and Power are the two things that need to be addressed here.Of course, if you are powerful, then you automatically demand respect from every body around you and this seems to be clear for every body in our world.However, the fact that respect deserves respect is not that clear. A few people feel that respect should be given only to those who are above us in the food chain.While they demand respect.We must also look at those who are below us in the pecking order but still are respectful towards us, then they too deserve for it to be reciprocated.

~J~

Report Post Tip

Alexander listens to the debate with humor. After several people agreeing with the man, he decides to speak up.

So, let me get this straight. You want people of every rank in our life to respect these civilians that have made no name for themselves? You want godfathers to come out here and respect thugs?

It seems that's the way it's headed nowadays, with these new people. However, I completely disagree with you. A civilian has to earn respect. This comes with making friends and climbing the ladder of our society.

Whoever lacks respect, does'nt deserve it... he certainly does'nt deserve mine for that matter.

This line particularly tickles my fancy. So, you are saying that if a godfather were to come out here disrespecting thugs and civilians, you wouldn't respect him? I am quite sure you would end up in a pine box if this were to occur. There are many examples of this in the past.

The thing most people do not tend to understand about our society is that we are a hardened criminals. We are people who earn and take respect. You may not like Godfather JoeBlow over there in New Orleans, but you'd damn sure better respect him. No matter how he talks or walks.

The idea of respecting every civilian that comes across those waters on a boat is sickening to me. Do they have the right to speak in the streets? Yes. However, do they have a right to be respected? Hell no.

My beliefs may be old-fashioned, but they won't be changing for some random guy with no name walking down the street.

Alexander walks away, shaking his head slightly.

Report Post Tip

Alexander I think you might have missed the point a little. You don't have to actually respect a person to show them respect in the streets for what they are saying.

After all how are they to earn respect if when they do show it, your not willing to listen when they speak?

Report Post Tip

Of course Sir,while I agree that powerful men demand respect from every body who is less powerful than they are I feel, in my humble opinion that if a Civilian was to bring up something important that required attention in our world and he was to use the proper manner of addressing it then the issue would have to be taken note of at least instead of casting it away just because a civilian brought it up for discussion.

~J~

Report Post Tip

Dante, I am not missing the point. What I am saying is that the people in the upper echelons of our society shouldn't have to show respect to anyone lower than themselves. Whether that be in the streets, in the coffee shops, or in a business. What is being suggested here is that we listen to every random guy that walks in the streets with something to say.

We as members of this society have more important things to do than show respect to people that have not yet earned a name. As for them earning respect, it starts in the family. You get well known and make connections. That's how it has always worked. You don't just walk into the street and try to make a point against people who could have you killed with a snap of their fingers.

Sure, these little guys can come out here and rant all they want about whatever they want. However, if I don't like it, I am not going to show them respect just because they learned how to talk. I am quite sure there are others out there who feel the same way.

Street presence is important, but giving these young mobsters the idea that they can come out here expecting respect from everyone will end up in a lot of deaths.

Report Post Tip

Alexander... if a Godfather/Godmother or leader disrespects someone of low rank, then they should have a good reason for it. Even if they are high rank and have reached such esteemed levels. If someone is respectful, do you think bashing on the guys head will help him? Hell no... and then what would our streets be for? They would be only for the leaders and Godfather/Godmother. And yes... if someone is disrespectful, he does not deserve my respect. Unless he has a damn good reason for it. Now lets not mix apples here... i am not talking about a bad apple. I am talking about a good one, one that wants to grow and become somebody. Now this individual deserves my most undevided attention and respect for that matter. I will help him where he lacks, if i dont agree with him i will explain why.

And why would i do this, because i find no reason not too. He is low rank, so what? It all depend on how he acts, not what he is. I dont think you are grasping what i am saying here, but of course we all have different opinions. But i will respect anyone who deserves it. Low rank or high!

Report Post Tip

I'm also not saying that the have to show respect to anyone lower than themselves. What I am saying though is if someone lower ranked has something to say then I will be willing to at least listen to it.

You don't just walk into the street and try to make a point against people who could have you killed with a snap of their fingers.

Why do you assume that everything that will be said is going to be a point against anyone? While yes I'll admit that much of what is said by the lower ranks is a grievance against one person or a family many times it isn't, it's inquisitive, it's curiosity.

Just because someone has something to say, doesn't mean that it will automatically be a rant. This isn't about giving every youngster respect, I agree entirely that they don't all deserve it. But it is about encouragement and if we don't set an example of how it should be done and show each youngest that no matter how valid their point it won't be listened to then what is the point.

Report Post Tip

Alexander... how can we stand here and demand respect and yet lack to show it until someone earns his button. Now that goes againts what i believe in. Respect is always first in line and i believe it goes both ways. When someone earns his button he deserves your undevided attention... like i said before, i would stop everything i am doing if this man came to me with a certain issue and help him out. If he has'nt earned his button, than i would ask him to go to one of the family's trustee's, not me. But as for respect... every members deserves it!

Report Post Tip

I mean every members that shows it! Dont forget the main subject here!

Report Post Tip

After hearing the man named Alexander tear down a very well explained speech where in fact he said that it shouldn't matter how one speaks as long as it is directed with respect.

You do not think our leaders and upper echelons come out here to speak with no regard to respect? I beg to differ. I have seen many instances Alexander where those out of line were put in their place with the upmost respect and even met demise with that same respect. 

I would listen to sneakyrats speech again instead of unknowingly contradicting yourself. He made everything quite clear and that is why it was so well received (In my opinion).

Report Post Tip

Alexander
A civilian has to earn respect. This comes with making friends and climbing the ladder of our society.

sneakyrat
He is low rank, so what? It all depend on how he acts, not what he is.

To be honest, I think neither extreme is the answer for me. Will I respect everyone fresh off the boat? Hardly. Would I rule out respecting a civilian just because of his place in our hierarchy? Unlikely. If they come to streets with words apparently beyond their "age" and deliver it in the right manner, why not? It may be rare, but I've seen civilians and gangsters talk more sense and spout less crap than crew leaders out here in the past.

Of course, respect is a necessity with certain ranks, but it's not the only way to earn my personal respect. There is a difference, no matter how subtle, between respecting a 'rank' - for want of a better term - and respecting a man. I can respect a man of any rank, yet respect for the upper echelons of cosa nostra is mandatory if you see yourself getting anywhere in this world.

Report Post Tip

* Plax steps up*  "before Yelling Simply "

unfortunately for veteran players they have seen it all, same speech different voice speaking... I do agree with you here sneakyrat. :)

"But my issue is more for the high ranks lacky the respect for a respectful fresh off the boater."  maybe cause they can. 

*Plax looks around*

But the funny thing about respect which makes it so complicated ...... cause  everyone draws there line in different places.

*as Plax see the crowd slowly shaking there heads in disagree with with the low life*

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: What are streets for?
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL