Get Timers Now!
X

Mar 29 - 09:03:02
Page:  1 2 [ > - >>> ]
Stop Plagiarizing In The Business District Started by: PriceIsRightCHACHING on Oct 18, '16 18:57

Please stop plagiarizing in the business district. People look there, they read your copy and paste. It's not smart or classy. It's annoying. If you are plagiarizing other places, please stop that too. Come up with original content. 

Philly alone has at least two bars that are copy and pastes. Ms. Chief's House of Fantasy by Elize_Ryd. Straight from the wikipedia page? Come on girl, get your shit together. Or Crew Leader @TonyCosta 's joint Tony's Pizzaria. Just in case the first business is full there is a second one, an exact copy - or something. I see you in Chicago too...ElizabethDeWitt's The Rapture Lounge.

Report Post Tip

Yhe Rapture Lounge is based on Bioshock and Bioshock Infinite.  My character, ElizabethDeWitt is based on and played like Elizabeth from Bioshock, so I made a Bioshock and Bioshock Infinite themed business. I based the cocktails off of in game items and real life drinks, and aimed to make the atmosphere emulate the opulence of Rapture before its fall in the video game.  Anyone who has played any of the Bioshock games would clearly recognize the references. 

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

ElizabethDeWitt, that's super cool but you're still using someone else's work for your own benefit. You get points from creating and posting in threads... You copied a lot or all of your food items from this menu: https://m.opentable.com/restaurants/nikolais-roof/menu/2212/chefs-menu/0 - which has nothing to do with bioshock and not your original work. 

Stop plagiarizing.

Report Post Tip

I've personally eaten there, and their scallops and souffle are amazing.  Sadly not everyone is a 5 star chef, so I don't have elegant recipes saved in my brain.  You can be pissed about it all you want, but its menu items.  I didn't copy an entire essay or full paragraphs from someone else's work, I just took food that I know to be amazing and first class and used it for an upscale restaurant post. 

Report Post Tip

I've personally eaten at Burger King, but if I made a bar and took items and their descriptions - copy/pasted them into my bar it wouldn't make it right. It would still make it plagiarism. It would still give me points I do not deserve. 

https://mafiareturns.com/Rules.php

Copy/pasting/plagiarizing in an attempt for points is considered spamming.

Also, relax, I'm not pissed. 

Report Post Tip
I'll reach out to Izzy and if he feels that it's over the line I will have him remove the post. It was made for fun, and I had fun writing it, but if he feels it's breaking the rules then I would prefer it removed.
Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip
At some point it was discussed that crewleaers where responsible for policing their members posting in the business district s. This should be addressed for sure.
Report Post Tip

@Jax, it was discussed here, and I agree - original material should be rewarded, plagiarised tat should be punished and discouraged.

Report Post Tip

I don't see it as a big deal. I believe the plagiarism rule applies to copy/pasting parts or the entirety of someone else's business anyway

Report Post Tip

Rorschach, from what I can tell, that discussion is aimed at posts explicitly copy/pasting a menu already made up in the business to gain points. This thread here is about actual businesses plagiarizing other sources.

It appears the outrage is only because Elizabeth 'plagiarized' a menu. I don't see this as a big deal. Not all of us have an entire list of food just sitting in our heads waiting to be put into a completely fictional menu on a game. There's only so many different food combinations one can imagine. Should she have mixed it up a little, maybe use some other sources for inspiration? Sure. It isn't worth crying about though.

I can't speak for any of the other businesses mentioned, but those are my two cents.

Report Post Tip

Chibs, I didn't once single out anyone. I haven't even seen the threads in question, so it would be entirely unjust of me to pass judgement on any specific business. I stand by what I have said however - the thread Jax mentioned was indeed the one I linked to, and I do firmly believe that plagiarism should be punished and discouraged.

Should a menu be created by the user? If you're getting in-game gains from it, then yes, it probably should be in my opinion. My kin have produced a Business District bar menu, despite never having worked a bar. It's not particularly difficult. Sure, take inspiration, but to copy paste a full menu is beyond the realms of acceptability to me, but as I said - I haven't seen the threads in question, so I can't pass comment on the specifics, which is why I didn't.

Report Post Tip

I never said you did, Rorschach. Perhaps my post was misleading - only the first part was intended for you. The parts after that were aimed at the discussion in general. I apologize if my formatting failed to show that.

I haven't had a chance to view the businesses either, which is why I only paid attention to the one that actually got responses to. Based on what was exchanged between the OP and the business manager, I had a general idea of what this one business did wrong, and the OP specifically spoke about the menu - hence my two cents.

You are right that businesses should not be completely plagiarized. Stealing another's menu just to copy and paste onto your own fictional business is lazy and shows no creativity. I just don't understand why that alone is such a big deal to people who had nothing to do with writing the original menu.

Report Post Tip

If you think they are not original you could always RP burn them down to the ground. Have the TM/C police come by and close the place up. Make their mistakes your advantage. 

Report Post Tip

I've seen this happen before. Look at S O C K S Grocery in DT. It's post after post after post of grocery store items and prices. If that's not gaming the system I don't know what is.

ElizabethDeWitt, you like the food items from a certain restaurant's menu? Great. Use the names but write your own description of that item. Mix things up a bit, reword things, add your own touch. No reason to copy and paste directly for another menu. 

It'd be one thing if the posts didn't mean anything to the game but in a situation where you get experience and vision points for quantity and quality of your posts, this sort of thing shouldn't be allowed. 

Report Post Tip

Neveah, in the event that the admins deem my post over the line, I'll redo the menu to make it unique.  The rest of the post I worked really hard on, even though Bioshock isn't my intellectual property.  I messaged HD and asked them to review my post, and in the event that they think its too similar, I'll have my CL torch this version and redo it. 

Report Post Tip

I was the one that came out here and called ElizabethDeWitt out on the plagiarism she used, it was very minor. Some of the other ones that I called out were very major in comparison. I do hope, as a community, that Elizabeth isn't used as the face/villain in this situation because she has been the only one to come out and explain herself (very well). 

It's obvious Elizabeth cares about and put effort into the business she created. As you read it, you can tell how much effort she put into it. It's well written, themed to her character and she didn't just copy and paste a whole Wikipedia page chopped up with little original dialogue into the business district. I encourage the community to check it out, maybe order a Bucking Bronco or try your luck with Eve. 

Report Post Tip
Interesting I will admit I have templates I created for my businesses since 08. Granite I do go in and change a portion of it but most of the flow is the same.
Report Post Tip

Reverse_Flash, I would say that templates from your own creation are different from copy pasting from a Wikipedia page or a company website, changing a few things here and there. Take Herrero's Old City Medical Center for example.

Herrero's "Original" bar thread:

Old City Medical Center Located in Old City District, PH is a multi discipline medical center offering a range of healthcare services.

Old City Medical Center provides patients with state of the art facilities as well as a comprehensive range of services to address the needs of every patient.

Old City Medical Center offers a wide range of clinical specialties required by the communities residing within the PH as well to cover a broad spectrum of specialties, such as General Practice, Obstetrics & Gynecology, Pediatrics, ENT, Internal Medicine, Plastic surgery, General surgery, Vascular Surgery and Dental.

All clinical departments are staffed with highly experienced medical and support personnel trained in internationally recognized medical institutions. The emphasis is on making the patient feel as comfortable, secure, and well cared for as possible.

However were are most well known for our 24hr Emergency Room. Our staff is highly qualified to deal with any emergency, whether it is a gunshot wound, or perhaps a stabbing, you will not receive any better treatment anywhere in the country. Your case will be handled discreetly and with the strictest confidence, well worth the exorbitant fee you will be charged for it.

Which was just copy paste from an actual Medical Center website (http://www.armadahospital.com/our-services/overview) overview:

Armada Medical Centre provides patients with state of the art facilities as well as a comprehensive range of services to address the needs of every patient.

Armada Medical Centre shall offer the wide range of clinical specialties required by the communities residing within the areas adjacent to Armada Towers as well to cover a broad spectrum of specialties, such as General Practice, Obstetrics & Gynecology, Pediatrics, ENT, Internal Medicine, plastic surgery, general surgery, Vascular Surgery and Dental.

All clinical departments are staffed with highly experienced medical and support personnel trained in internationally recognized medical institutions. The emphasis is on making the patient feel as comfortable, secure, and well cared for as possible.

Armada Medical Centre is affiliated with all major national as well as international insurance companies and enjoys direct billing facilities with the insurance companies and third party administrators (TPA).

Rorschach said it well, that if you are getting in game gains from it, then it should be original work. If you have a taco stand from 08 already written up (original work) but want to use it again and just turn it into a hot dog stand - it's still original work. 

Report Post Tip

When Squishy brought in his reforms, I went as far as to post menus in Back alley threads with a link in the main post, mainly as I was more or less stealing Menus from elsewhere. this ensures that you aren't getting rewarded for stealing someone elses work.

Report Post Tip

If you see something like this you should mail a sweeper. Kimberly, Melis or myself. 

Also if you NEED to copy and paste things that aren't yours, put them in block quotes. That way the information is there, but you don't get experience for it. 

Ya know, like this.

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For Non RP Talk About The Game (AKA OOC)
Replying to: Stop Plagiarizing In The Business District
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL