Get Timers Now!
X

Mar 28 - 18:57:35
Page:  1 2 3 [ > - >>> ]
Family Started by: Dusty on Oct 24, '16 15:39

"Family.. "

Dusty sighed as she looked out the window of a local pub. The weather had gotten quite a bit colder and she couldn't stand to be standing out on the streets but gathered herself at a near by sandwich shop. Sometimes it was better to stay warm and have a casual chat with people. It felt less formal to be seated in a sandwich place with some food in front of her.

Dusty caught the eye of a person walking near her table and offered them the chair across the table. She sat quietly until they finally situated at the table with their own food. She took a few bites in silence before she began talking again.

"Have you ever really thought about what it means to be part of a family in this place? For the most basic of definitions a family member would be some who has earned their bones, otherwise they are an associate. Think a little harder though, once you are Made Man your words in public are judged more harshly. The things you say can have the power to hurt your reputation or help it, but does the buck stop at you? Not likely.

Once you are a member you then represent your leader in these streets. Every word and every action is taken into consideration. "

Dusty picked up her sandwich and quickly finished it off.  Wiping her hands on a napkin she reached for her water. Taking a few minutes to enjoy the drink before she picked the conversation back up.

"Let's have a look at a few things people could decide from taking a look at families.

Family Type A: The Hardly Vocal Family - Whispering Shores

This is a family where a great majority of the family is hardly visible to the community. What they do behind the HQ doors is hardly a concern to me but they do not often tribute to the community as a whole. When neither crew leader nor right hand for instance can be bothered to get involved on discussions with the community, it shows that there is a likelihood that a vast majority of the family will pick up on this. As you can see here there are very few instances they can be bothered with the community and it is somewhat sad to see.

Family Type B: The Selective Participants Family - Sons of Anarchy

In this family we see some members who participate and others that do not. This is how majority of the families are really. We can't expect everyone to be comfortable with the streets but judging from the fact some of the upper structure and some of the family can venture into discussions or tell stories I can honestly say they are trying to be contributors to our community.

Family Type C: Very Vocal Upper Structure with Negative Effects - City of Philadelphia

In this family (they acted like one for a very large majority of their time, I shall treat them as one) they have seen some very active upper structure in the streets. A few have remained quiet but the ones that have been vocal have had the tendency to create negative effects. We have seen a Right Hand recently use poor choices for contributing to the streets. Have seen leaders use poor choice in words when describing why they deserve respect. Seen some not react well to being questioned where they either blow people off or completely ignore them. This is the types of family you don't want to pick up their bad habits from. Don't worry though, everyone can come back from mistakes.

Family Type D: Very Vocal Upper Structure with Positive Effects - The Gato Regime

This family has shown that they can be vocal in some of the most positive ways. From bringing great news by KateLogan to ChristianGato expressing some changes among cities he has been in and the favour system. They can go into discussions with an open mind, they can be questioned and will respond. This is a family that shows that you can do many great things in the streets without resorting to negative attitudes and bad tactics. When I look at this family it is one that I can fully respect just by seeing them in action. "

Pausing momentarily Dusty looks around her. She was sure that people from these families may be a bit upset with her but she had always been one that liked to keep it honest with people. These were her observations so she finished her drink up and pushed on.

"Among our community we have variations of these across the cities. The only thing I can gather from the families that remain silent is that they seem fearful of the consequences of speaking up, uncomfortable with their own voices or simply not interested in trying to step out of their comfort zones.

Those that dare to speak up, to contribute and be seen. Well those are the ones that dare to change the world. The ones that put themselves out there.

By doing either of the two, family members are speaking for their members. Silence still speaks to people around them whether they are aware of it or not. So choose your words wisely when you are vocal, remain silent if you wish but beware that you are speaking regardless of your choice. Just remember you are speaking up for your family and what type it will fall under."

Dusty slid her plate away from her and sat back in her chair.

"Do you think it is important for a family to inspire their members to take part in the community?"

She looked forward to hearing what they had to say on the matter.

Report Post Tip
To play devils advocate here, you can contribute to the community without being a vocal person. The behind the scenes work is just as important as standing on the corner ranting to the masses.
Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

Crest was standing around listening to what Miss Dusty had to say when he heard a voice of a man say something he did not really agree with in full. He turned to where the voice was coming from and saw a clear biker looking guy finish up what he was saying. He followed up by saying "So sir you believe that contributions can be made in the background but what makes you believe this?"

He took a bit of a pause to gather the thoughts and questions and how he wanted to order them before continuing with "Contributions need to be a known thing in every aspect, such as Mr Gato for instance you know that if you join his family you are going to need to contribute in many elements to gain your promotions it is not just as simple as hustling drugs or knocking over liquor stores, there is more to it than that, it is a known thing. Many families out there I can look at and not have a clue on how they operate, and the majority of how they operate is behind closed doors and you can spend many months there and still have no idea how they truly operate as they do not make it known even to their own."

He once again paused and finished by saying "So what exact contributions behind closed doors are being done that trump those of being active on the Streets and having a public persona built for yourself?"

Report Post Tip

Consigliere Dusty

You make it sound as though being quiet is a negative thing, instead of simply a different thing. Some take the sacred oath to the next level, wishing to not discuss anything outside of their family, especially over sensitive topics. Why risk harming your "family" by opening your mouth in the streets, only to have it misinterpreted and be the catalyst to some catastrophic event. 

I say, to those who wish to be vocal externally, fantastic for them. They have the skills needed to navigate those waters gracefully. For others who possibly react with their heart instead of their mind, let them conduct business in the ways they are most comfortable with. 

Some would prefer the limitations set by a minimal external appearance, as well as the benefits of minimize any potential risk over the rewards achieved for those who are more in the public spotlight. 

Report Post Tip

I do think it is important for a family to inspire and even encourage members to take part in the community and to share their voice. Best way to do so is to lead by example. You can not expect as a leader for your members to uphold certain requirements unless you do so yourself as a leader. I think in this day and age it is even more important to share your voice and for your family to have an identity as a whole. Especially considering that this new era and time we are living in is focused on change, and community. Openness for people to speak their mind and thoughts respectfully without fear of consequence is important and not always seen with each era or regime of leaders. A city, crew or crew leader's outward appearance to the community means a lot and that image you or your family put's forth does stick with you for many generations and can lead to important political ties in our world. Often these ties have a direct impact of level of success in this world.

Report Post Tip

As Crest finished speaking another man came up to continue the words that the man prior to Crest had said but in a more meaningful way. He turned to this man and said "I do understand what you are speaking about however I do believe you can come in to the Streets and have a public persona created for yourself that allows people to understand how you operate. I have heard the stories and the complaints about things such as men and women being given promotions with minimal work and nothing really to it, being in a family like that would not give me much pride when my own promotion did come in as they are given about with no consideration, which results in them lacking meaning."

He stopped and cleared his throat and continued "So if a Leader cannot come out of their shell and come in to the Streets and be vocal even if it is not about their own organization but more so just their opinions on things, how do I know that it is a good fit for me? Sure I can ask them questions but as a petty con on the street would you really go and approach a powerful leader questioning their organization? Surely you would not, these streets give us insight on those leaders and how they may operate, what they believe and how powerful or weak their opinions are and whether we agree with them or not. This is just my belief on it anyways, everyone is entitled to their own."

Report Post Tip

Dusty looked around as people began to pull up some chairs or stand around the shop. Turning her head to acknowledge each person as she took in what they were saying.

JaxTeller, if we are going to play devil's advocate here can you expand? What sort of things behind closed doors really contributes to the community? I mean behind the HQ doors would contribute to just yourselves right?

Thank you Crest for your thoughts, I do not think they are all that different from mine.

She paused and waved over a worker really quickly to order another drink before she turned towards Mavis.

Pleasure to meet you MavisBeacon.

Do you feel that people that keep to themselves are really doing anything different though? Our community has seen this so much that I am not sure it is entirely a good thing. Perhaps if people are not taught how to be respectful in the streets they should be concerned about it. However, I can't see how stepping into a discussion with a thought or two could be a bad thing.

I have argued this before that if you do not do something as a leader, you can hardly ask your members to do it. Personally, I would love to see more people use their voice, and get involved. I don't think that a leader with hands that can't be bothered to take part in our community have a good effect on it, so perhaps it is a negative thing now that i think about it.

Are we trying to keep the community the same way it was before? Or are we trying to move onto better things?

Dragoon you raise some very good points. However, we have seen people rise that have no outward appearance so to speak. So the level they contribute with their voices has not hindered them too much.  What would you take away from that?

Spotting the person bringing her drink she took the opportunity to happily get it. Taking a few sips as she fell back into her own thoughts that people had given her food for.

Report Post Tip

green waits patiently for several minutes while Dusty eats her sandwich and finishes her drink before answering her.

For me, your question requires a clearer definition of what "taking part in the community" means. If it is to mean offering toothless debates and bland statements about abstract concepts like loyalty, duty or something of that ilk purely for the sake of it, then I personally could care less if any of mine ever open their mouths, because that sort of shit certainly doesn't interest me in the slightest.

Why? Because I've frequently heard the same old garbage rehashed time and time again to the point where it just becomes white noise, so no, that isn't what I want to see either. If you're going to do those type of things, you've got to put a little fire into it, like you've done here to an extent by calling individuals out. That's how to stoke my interest. 

I'm absolutely 100% in favour of "taking part in the community" meaning doing something worthwhile, Something worthwhile, in my dictionary, can be categorised as an event or contribution achieved through original thought or action. That is the type of thing every leader in the country should be encouraging their members to do and one that I hope to continue to foster within The Strip. 

What doesn't need to be promoted are lazy justifications like someone is "busy setting up their HQ" or "contributes in other ways", because that is bullshit. People don't try new things because they either can't be arsed to do so or don't have the aptitude to do and in either case, they are a poor example of leadership. Those type of families would be better categorised in the "this guy is a marksman and I want to fund his bodyguard upkeep" group, because that is all they are. 

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $100,000 Tip
I have to agree completely with Jax and I will expand on my own thoughts about what I feel can be contributing to the community behind closed doors. That would be our many associates, training these men and women on how to hold themselves out in public, training them on what it takes to successfully pull off different crimes and how to further their successes in the ways they wish to be successful as there are more than one route to do so. You might not think that this is contributing to the rest of the country but I would have to disagree with anyone that would as we are truly building the countries future. If these individuals don't know how to hold themselves in public someone else will have to do it and they can have a negative impact on the greater community. In my personal opinion, being out in the streets doesn't really help the community at all. We get some entertainment and we can debate but it rarely ever results in anything positive for the majority of the community, in fact in the recent past we can see it results in putting a negative light on many people which is why most stay out of the streets in the first place. Speeches like these that bring many together are great and all to see the different people's views but really, how is it helping the community to know these? Does it really contribute everyone else that they know how I feel on this? Or are the greater contributions building up the new blood that has dove head first into this thing of ours? Not just leaving them to fend for themselves and find things out the hard way on their own. I know in my ancestors journals, the biggest contributors they named to the entire community always played a large role in helping new blood learn how to become whatever it is that they want to become and show them the right respectful manner in which to do it. Now these people were never the most active out in public either, but I attribute that to how busy they were behind closed doors teaching.
Report Post Tip

Dusty,

As I stated earlier, once again, you keep emphasizing that the way those conduct themselves and business is a negative thing.
Negative in the eyes of whom? You and others that work and operate similar to you? 
What about the countless others, the majority, that operate in a different way, and enjoy conducting things as is, as they have been doing for years, as they will continue to do so.

To want others to operate in the ways you feel is correct is a narrow minded way to think. I say, to each their own. May their carve out their path in the way they feel best fit, without being subjected to criticism from others who approach things differently than they do.

To my strong, silent brothers out there, I will be your voice.

She leans her elbow on the table, and hears what everyone had to say. As people gather around to discuss more about the importance of one's voice in a community, cutie grabs knowledge from her own experience to apply that to what other people had said. 

You guys are smart. I know you all know that. It cannot be denied, so surely you can all understand that some people would very much like to contribute vocally and express their opinion but once you propose to speak out, all eyes are on you. This can be daunting even for me because you may feel discouraged by confrontation and judgement, so yes - I agree with you Dusty that a leader should also be encouraging their own members to contribute and giving willpower to express their own ideas but we just have to keep in mind that we don't all have the same mindset. If someone chooses to contribute in other ways - then so be it, but we are not here to criticize others. Keeping thoughts to oneself and being quiet is not a bad thing. Anyways, criticism kind of eliminates the chance for a person to speak freely out here on the streets. Having said that, it's the approach that we take that allows us to earn the respect of others - we can speak constructively and deliver tactful criticism while also creating a kind environment where we have an opportunity to grow.

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $50,000 Tip

What sort of things behind closed doors really contributes to the community? I mean behind the HQ doors would contribute to just yourselves right?

You say this as if it's a bad thing. I do not come out onto these streets often; that doesn't mean that I do not contribute to my crew and indeed the entire city of Chicago in many ways. From collection of witness statements and shot reports, to now helping sort the incoming mails of my dear Godfather Chairman. My voice on these streets does not define who I am or to what worth I am to my community. Each individual has their strengths. Giving long drawn out speeches about the same topics again and again may be the strengths of some; if that's what they enjoy doing, then more power to them. The streets have been a lively place lately and fascinating to observe. To say that the crew leader and/or right hand from a family you know nothing about can't "be bothered to get involved on discussions with the community" is rude and honestly, in my opinion, somewhat disrespectful to a sitting Godfather. Many of us cannot spend 80 or 90 hours a week on these shores, using that time to roam the streets. Instead, we have duties that call us elsewhere. Perhaps, instead of assuming that a Godfather "can't be bothered" to do something, you should look at what they are spending their time doing within the great city of Chicago. There could be many reasons that they are not seen on these streets often. Being an active voice in the streets does not automatically mean good things, as you pointed out yourself in the case of the leaders from PH. Perhaps Godfather Deces and Consigliere reverandmm80 would prefer to leave the street speaking to others who are better suited or perhaps they have a different set of priorities. To judge a person by how much time they spend on the streets is just silly. 

Now of course I understand that you don't mean any disrespect. You're speaking your mind, as we're all free to do on these streets. However, it does come across that you have your mind set on one particular thought - that to be a good leader, you should be active out here on these streets. I, like some of the others who spoke before me, completely disagree. I believe that the streets are one part of our world, and perhaps these days they are a larger part then they were in the past, but they hardly are the only defining part of a leader or crew. If a person prefers a more active, vocal crew, then that is the crew that they will join. If a person prefers one on one dialogue and getting to know someone in a more private place, like the back alley, then that works too.

Crest heard Neveah speak her mind and he did not wish to argue it as it was not directed to him and he knew that good ole Dusty was very capable of defending herself but he did have a question for her that he wished to speak on and is a question he has been asking behind those closed doors recently but now would publicly.

He turned to her and said "Miss Neveah, your Godfather Nakamura agreed to contributions, those contributions and the favour system he agreed on are based on being vocal in the Streets, and making a better place for the community which according to what I have been led to understand is based purely on the Streets and not being invisible, so to claim what you have just claimed are you saying that you disagree with what your Godfather has agreed upon and promised to do and being the Right Hand to the City itself are you claiming that the city of Chicago disagrees with what he promised to do seeing as many of you are not contributing and defending against making the very same contributions that the Godfather of the city promised to make?"

Report Post Tip

Neveah couldn't help but laugh at the man's question, though she didn't mean it towards him at all. It was simply a silly assumption to make - to try and accuse her of somehow disagree with the entire system that had been put into place simply because she didn't feel that every leader needed to speak openly in the streets.

"My understanding of the favor system is not that it is based solely on what happens here in these streets. Perhaps I am wrong, but I believe the favor system takes a variety of things into account. Godfather Nakamura and the city of Chicago support them. I have seen several leaders from Chicago being extremely vocal on these streets, Don Karen for one example, or Boss insta."

She shook her head, thinking carefully of her words before speaking. 

"If we use your logic then shouldn't we apply the same to Dusty and New York? After all, she is that city's right hand man. So perhaps, instead of looking to outside cities and criticizing their street presence, why doesn't she start within New York itself? Why didn't she mention Consigliere Syndicate in her list of leaders? Outside of announcing his own crew I haven't seem him on the streets even once. Does that mean, using your logic, that Consigliere  Syndicate is less in favor in the city of New York? Or that he is somehow less of a leader? My family knew his bloodline and if he is anything like those that came before him, I'm sure he's an excellent leader. But neither he nor his hands are active in the streets."

Report Post Tip

Crest noticed that Neveah seemed like a know it all type and knew he would heavily enjoy this one as he loved heated debates so he decided to start with Syndicate by saying "Yes, according to what I have been told Syndicate would be less in favour than those who are active and who are contributing to our society, that was one of the whole points of this system so I have been told."

He then laughed hysterically before bringing himself back together and said "Did you really just try to claim that New York needs fixing in contribution in the Streets? You just pointed out two people that make contributions to our Streets yet every Godfather in your city lacks those contributions, as a matter of fact the majority of your cities powers lack those contributions so please inform me is it that you guys just don't wish to follow your Godfather's agreements to street presence or are you guys simply to lazy to do so?"

Report Post Tip

Neveah looked at the man with a raised eyebrow, shaking her head. She wouldn't lower herself to petty insults, not with someone of this sort. 

"I did not imply that New York 'needs fixing.' I simply pointed out that it was hardly perfect in terms of it's street presence and I'm a firm believer that before you criticize others you should take a look at yourself. As right hand man of her city, she has the power to help improve her city, but instead she chooses to worry about other cities street presence. If that's what she chooses, then so be it. That's her choice. However, considering that you just choose to insult every Godfather in my city, I won't be discussing with you any further. I'll wait for a reply from Consigliere Dusty before replying any further."

Report Post Tip

Crest did not care that Neveah would not reply to him as he would to her by saying "Insulting is a harsh word, more so calling out what they agreed upon and what they fail to do, the contributions they promised to make are nothing more than broken promises now and I would like to know why. However since you are done answering me I will wait for them to speak up if they do so as I do not seem to understand why you would agree to something if you do not wish to honor it."

He took a step back and leaned on the wall waiting to hear what others had to say and thought to himself that maybe for the first time Chicago would actually come out and defend themselves on their broken promises they have made to this community but loved to throw in peoples faces when the time allowed them to do so.

Report Post Tip

Nakamura approached the young man in the streets, interested to hear what he had to say.

Broken promises?  Please remind me what promises the city of Chicago has promised and yet, not followed up with.  And honestly, I see not one person here throwing anything in anyone's face.  Please share with everyone the broken promises that you are alluding to.  I'm sure we would all love to hear about them.

Report Post Tip

rev looks up from his lunch, listens to the ramblings, considers the source, shrugs his shoulders and goes back to his lunch

It seems Dusty has done a perfect job of inspiring passion among our cities. I applaud her efforts once more, as she has proven how much our members care about these cities, and how vocal we can be when the time calls for it.

I've seen some interesting opinions crop up here today, enough to keep me thinking and to process how to move forwards.

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Family
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL